Seven Sola XC Hardtail

Weight : 3.2 lbs

A feather-light thoroughbred cross-country bike with a penchant for fast, tight single track. Boasting Olympic and National Championship credentials, the Sola is a proven no-compromise competition bike. Of course, you don’t have to be a racer to appreciate its fabulousness. Seven’s Argen butted Ti tubing features the finest quality seamless 3-2.5 titanium and proprietary butting technology.

Submitted by zarf1 a Cross Country Rider from Western Australia

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    Ace frame. Awesome welds. Chain holder like the old frames. Weight

Bottom Line:
I was very lucky to pick up this bike cheap on e-bay when visitng the UK.I needed a bike for a heap of riding I had planned before hand and getting a bike over there was very useful. It has served me well so far. The frame is so light. Even with the rigid fork it flies over most stuff. I just found hard rocky descents a tad tough on the wrists. steep up and steep downs have been no problem. The prior owner built it up superbly. It's a treasured addition to the stable. Value rating is 5 for me as I picked it up quite cheap.

I have an Onone Ti 456. This bike is a little less cruisy, fun as the onone. Alittle zippier and faster on the climbs and more skittish going down hill. More suited to Cross Country than the One. There is something special about Ti frames - they feel that much better than any other bikes I've had!

Favorite Trail:   Darlington Loops

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Ti Onone 456

Bike Setup:   Chris King Hubs, Mavic Rims, Nuke Proof Form, Easton Monkey Lite Carbon Bar, Thom Stem and Seat Post, Fizil Tundra saddle, Sram XO

Submitted by REvers a Cross Country Rider from Stavanger

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    Incredible fit, light, stiff.

Weaknesses:    None, once you realize what you get for the money.

Bottom Line:
Should have bought years earlier. Amazing difference with previous bike.
Much easier in technical climbs and a lot more control / stability on downhill.
Not cheap, but the fit process is very thorough and once you have seen the welds, it becomes clear they really know how to build frames.
The custom fit process is extremely detailed; if you know what you want, they will build you the best frame you can get.

Favorite Trail:   Ullandhaug

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   Koga Miyata Hardtail. Tried Litespeed.

Bike Setup:   Initially Mavic SLR, now Mavic 719&717 rims with Chris King hubs. XTR front/rear mech and cranks. KCNC jockey wheels. Fox 100RLC shox

Submitted by Tyler Durden a Cross Country Rider from Rye, NY

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Strengths:    Flawless construction, perfect sizing, bomb-proof build, and flat-out beautiful

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This bike is perfection. Every group ride it seems like I am the only person riding a hardtail MTB, but I'm also the first to the top of each climb. Needless to say, the bike is light, strong and fast on the climbs, but it gives a sense of confidence and control on the downhill such that I never feel better than my equipment. I hate how Seven treated me when I got my Aerios road frame, and were it not for the perfection in the Sola, I'd never recommend Seven to anyone (given the cost), but for an avid MTB rider, there should be no other choice: Seven is it.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail (still in my blood)

Purchased At:   Your ad here

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Clark-Kent (blah), others

Bike Setup:   XTR, Mavic, Hayes, Bombers (shox), Monkeybars (carbon)...

Submitted by Adam a Racer from Athens, GA, US

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2008

Strengths:    FIT!!!! This bike fits like a glove and the ride was custom tuned to my desires

Weaknesses:    Makes me unhappy with my other bikes

Bottom Line:
This bike is great, the fit makes it superior to every other bike I've ridden. After finishing several long rides (6+ hours) I feel good and my am not sore. Legs yes, back/neck/other body parts no.

I can't say enough about how much the fit of the bike matters. I can especially tell when ripping it through the singletrack or in the air. The bike is well balanced and exactly where it needs to be. The only downside is now I'm trying to figure out how to get a Seven road bike too.

It is expensive but well worth it once you forget the cost. If you decide to get one, ride as many other bikes as possible and pay close attention to what you like and what you don't like. i.e. steering quality, harshness etc. The more info you give Seven the better bike you'll get.

Favorite Trail:   a dry one

Purchased At:   The Hub Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9.8, KHS Alite, Titus Racer-x, Specialized FSR-XC

Bike Setup:   Sram/XTR/Fox Fork/I9 wheels

Submitted by Denis a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2007

Strengths:    Custom frame.... i cant be happier! Exactly what i needed. Accelerates wicked fast, climbs easily, truns in a pocket and looks great before and after every ride. I kept the standard options for comfort and rigidity and it feels awesome. Seven's reputation is well deserved. OKay its not the cheapest frame but compared to some carbons that will be beat in 2 yeras i belive its a good investment.

Weaknesses:    None so far... I juts wish i chose another cable rounting. I got top of top tube and sometimes i regret it. I've seen better solutions since i got the frame.... next frame maybe??

Bottom Line:
Great bike.... total weight is 9.420 kilogramms (sorry for us readers!). Makes me wanna ride more and more everytime. It doesnt look too fancy (like carbons) but the qualities are huge and far above everything else i've tried... i love contrasts and i love my Sola for being like that!

Purchased At:   the best shop in MA

Similar Products Used:   first Ti frame ever... i used to ride a Scott alloy frame.
My butt feels free now!

Bike Setup:   Full XTR07 - F100X - Ritchey carbon components- CK headset - ZTR/240S/aero spokes - conti speedkings

Submitted by Shelley McColl from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2007

Strengths:    A thing of beauty. Clean lines, divine welds, lovely paint job (custom).
Rides every bit as well as it looks!

Weaknesses:    Not cheap, but it is good value.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for fun and to race for just over a year now. It has made me go a bit faster and I'm a heck of a lot happier than on my previous hardtail which was an off the shelf fit.

I trusted Seven almost entirely with the customisation of my frame. I told them how I wanted it to ride, but left them to design the frame and they've got it spot on. It's scary to have someone else build such an expensive frame when you don't really know your perfect geometry but from the bike that I got I'd trust Seven to build me anything!

Overseas ordering made the process a bit more daunting again, but their policy of a phone interview was very reassuring, and they were eternally patient in trying to help me nail the exact shade of paint I wanted for the custom paint job.

This is a truly superb bike and I anticipate that every few years I'll rebuild the drivetrain, and every 10 years or so give it a freshen up with a change of paint colour. I can't imagine ever wanting to ride or purchase another bike.

Submitted by Marc a Cross Country Rider from Waldburg, Germany

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Strengths:    Quality - the best weldings I've ever seen, great finish, tubes are build rider specific
Fit - custom program resulted in a perfect position
Custom - a lots of possibilities (Rohloff speed hub, singe speed etc.)
Unique - every bike is individual

Weaknesses:    Fit (possible weakness) - custom program offers a lot of possibilities which are sometimes hard to choose correctly, also there is a risk if the bike is as expected
Price - although I think the price matches the amount of work involved

Bottom Line:
The Seven Sola is like a suit which is fitted exactly to your body and for wich the fabric is also created according your requests. This is unique in bike business (as far as I know).
If you appreaciate technical perfection, you really get it with a seven. The finish is great and the weldings are the finest you'll ever see.
Titanium (if not painted) also has the advantage of being robust and long living.

After many hours of thinking an filling out the custom program I got a perfect fitting bike with great riding characteristics. The bike fits like a glove, I sit up and feel great. Like requested the bike climbs fine and works great in single trails.
One negative thing is that I would have wished the bike to be a bit more stiff in the front, especially on long fast turns. But maybe this is a result of my requested characteristics.
You will have a lot of fun with this bike, if you know what you want. Take time to find out what you want and fill out the custom programm carefully!

Favorite Trail:   uphill, single trail

Purchased At:   Crocodile Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Serotta Steel and Ti, Tomac 98 special

Bike Setup:   Sram X.0, Fox Float, Moots seatpost, Tune hubs, Mavic rims, Magura Marta, Race Face cranks + stem

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Craftsmenship
attention to detail
Ti is the dream material - responsive yet comfortable. Very clean

Weaknesses:    Not cheap!

Bottom Line:

Yes, this bike is incredibly sweet. I love the ride of Ti - responsive, yet comfortable. So crisp. Everything on this bike rides exactly as it should. Very clean. Seven does a world class job with the customization and the craftsmenship.
The question that everyone inevitably asks: Is it worth spending that much money on?
The answer is mixed. You could buy a stock bike with a very similar setup for thousands less and it would still feels the same if you rode it around the block. I do believe the Sola is the best hardtail out there, but it just depends if you're willing to spend a lot more for something that is a fraction better. If you are a bike geek, you won't regret it...

Favorite Trail:   Thatcher Park, update NY

Bike Setup:   Custom Sola ti. XTR, mavic/DT Swiss, Magura brakes, shimano SPDs, SID fork, easton bar and stem

2012 Seven Sola SS finally complete!

I started riding & racing SS this year and totally love it, so I decided to buid up a custom Seven for my race rig. I ordered everything back in Feb and and it was all ready to go in early March with the exception of the HBC spiderless chainring. So the bike sat gathering dust until this weekend w ... Read More »

PAID SPAM: SEVEN Sola Steel 13" X-Small

SPAM PASS here: [URL="http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=63309"]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=63309[/URL] 13inch SEVEN Sola Steel Mountain Bike This x-small frame is perfect for a small rider, or a kid who wants a fast, light race bike. I bought this fo ... Read More »

Moots Mooto X RSL or Seven Sola SLX?

Looking to add one of these hardtail 29ers to my stable of off road bikes (said off-road stable currently includes a Pivot Mach 429 and Speedcycles Ti Fatback). Would appreciate any thoughts or feedback (and fyi: this will be front susp w/ 2x or 3x gears - no SS in my future). Thanks.Read More »

Seven Sola Stable Addition

I'm pretty psyched right now. After selling off both of my 29r's (Salsa El Mar. & a Salsa DOS) for various reasons, I started to go into 29r SS w/draw. I found a smoke'n deal on an '08 Seven Sola & should have it up and running w/in a week or so. The build will be something like this: ~ XT ... Read More »

Seven Sola Ti 29" SS for sale.

Spam pass [URL="http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=48484"]HERE[/URL]. Details [URL="http://bigwheeldeals.blogspot.com/2010/04/seven-sola-ss.html"]HERE[/URL]. Gratuitous teaser pics V V V. Psweet bike. Don't hesitate! Cheers, MCRead More »