Sette Reken Hardtail Frame XC Hardtail

4.63/5 (41 Reviews)

Where do we start with this gem of a lightweight frame? We could mention such features as the gusseted head tube, replaceable derailleur hanger, machined dropouts, disk and v-brake compatibility, hydraulic cable braze-ons or the exclusive Setté seatpost quick release. If you’re worried that a 6061 double-butted aluminum lightweight frame isn’t strong then you will want to know about the reinforced and oversized downtube and the curved stays which are held together using a full bead weld. The only way you are really going to find out is to have one of these exclusive frames for yourself.

Submitted by Jason DuBray a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2012

Strengths:    - Great Geometry
- disk and wheel brake mounts
- light weight

Weaknesses:    - none

Bottom Line:
I purchased the complete 2012 Sette Reken Deore bike from pricepoint as an entry level bike and with what comes standard on this bike I am extremely pleased. Great Bike Great Price. I would recomend to any one who wants to get a well equiped entry level bike and dosnt want to shell out tons of money. I wasnt sure I would even keep up with cycling but now I am encouraged to look for a road bike as well. I was also concerned about mail order of a complete bike but the packaging was excellent and it didnt have a scratch on it.

Favorite Trail:   Granite Bay CA (Close to home quick ride)

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   None this is my first bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock Sette Reken Deore with Forte clipless pedals

Submitted by TN trailblazer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Price, weight, color,

Weaknesses:    None really, thin layer of paint? Its hard to complain about this frame.

Bottom Line:
I have had this frame since Oct'11 and it has been great! I'm probably a little rougher on it than the manufacturer recommends but its holding up well. I'm out 3-5 times a week on intermediate trails crashed a few times and not even a ding in the frame.
For $130 shipped to my door, it can't be beat.

Favorite Trail:   Montgomery Bell

Similar Products Used:   Trek, GT

Bike Setup:   1x9 drivetrain, 100mm forks, 2.2 mt king tires, mech disc.

Submitted by not-real-fast a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Strengths:    Nice looking welds.
Nice looking paint.
Reasonably lightweight.
Bosses for either rim brake or disc brake.
Headset cups and seatpost fit well.
Threads in BB shell are nicely cut. (no burrs)
Alignment seems good.
Geometry is pretty normal for XC/Trail. (445-465mm fork)
PRICE.

Weaknesses:    Poor packaging - at least this one - it may have been opened and repackaged.
Would have liked cable stops for cable-actuated brakes, or at least, an extra brake cable guide at midpoint of the top tube.
Would have preferred a bolt-type seatpost clamp instead of QR.

Bottom Line:
My low expectations were blown away when I took it out of the box.
It just plain looks cool.
Tried, but couldn't find anything significantly wrong with it.
I built this for a new rider (not myself) so I can't say how well it rides.
But this is a REAL mountain bike of current design - NOT an obsolete chunk of aluminum.
According to my digital fish scale, 16" frame weights 3.94 pounds with included seatpost binder and derailleur hanger.
Impressive piece of work for $95 plus $45 shipping.
That said, don't overlook you LBS; sometimes they have amazing deals too.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills, Eagan, MN (it's where I get to ride most often)

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000
Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   16" frame
RockShox Pilot XC Air 80mm (N.O.S.)
Full LX drivetrain (used)
LX V-brakes
Mostly spare parts intended for XC riding.
25.94 pounds including pedals and bottle cage.

Submitted by Alan Weighall a Cross Country Rider from Boise ID

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2010

Strengths:    Bang for the Buck.great appearance.great fit.

Weaknesses:    Paint wears easily.not the most versatile cable routing.

Bottom Line:
I built this bike as an inconspicuous around town single speed that would avoid notice or theft.Ended up with a very cost efective trail worthy rig.gotta say it exceeded my expectations.not a race bike but I sure love it around town,looking forward to getting it out on the trail.manufacturer recommends not using for severe riding,but I gotta say that if the frame gives out after even one year of use...I still got my money worth.Definatly recommended as a fun second bike!

Favorite Trail:   hulls gulch

Similar Products Used:   Trek oclv.cannondale.GT Psychlone.Klein attitude

Bike Setup:   Surplus componants.single speed.I recommended disk break.noleen Mega air

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from westchester

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    Nice looking, very inexpensive

Weaknesses:    none yet, seems like it is not meant for heavy or aggressive riders

Bottom Line:
I bought a couple of bikes several years ago for my niece and nephew. Over the years I have upgraded them with parts I had left over from upgrades to my bikes. My nephew is now riding my old On-one Inbred (and really kicking ass out on the trails), and my niece has been riding his crappy old Diamondback. (Haven't really gotten her out on the trails much yet) I recently purchased a red Sette Reken frame for her (Diamondback was too small) and built it up with parts from the Diamondback and some stuff I had around the garage. I have only ridden it around the block, and it is too small for me, so I can't say how it is rides on the trails, but it is really a sweet looking bike. $89.00? Are you kidding me? Easily worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   On-one Inbred, On-one Scandal, On-one 456 Summer Season

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi EXR fork, Shimano square taper BB and three ring cranks, BB7 brakes with avid levers....

Submitted by jobubr a Racer from Beckley, WV

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2009

Strengths:    geometry fits me well, durable!!

Bottom Line:
For a frame that came with a notice that it is not to be used for aggressive riding it has endured. I got it in October 2008 and have been riding it since. It is my default bike! I have ridden it in some of the nastiest rock gardens WV has to offer, in snow and it has performed as well as or better than anything else on the market. My riding buddies just shake their heads that such a cheap bike can perform. Flat paint hides the dents and dings, my only wish is that I had waited for the new red color, but only bcs I think anything with wheels should be red, but that's just an opinion.

Similar Products Used:   Niner EMD, Weyless hartail, GT Avalanche, GT Backwoods

Bike Setup:   I wanted a singlespeed so my riding buddies cleaned out their garages and basements. It's nothing but a hodgepodge of 10 yr old parts. Brake pads and cables are new.

Submitted by triscole1 a Weekend Warrior from michigan

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    Love this frame! Its super light, has excellent geometry and handles really well. The cable positioning along the top tube is well placed, and the matte black finish is stealth like and so far durable. I wanted to get back on the trail so I thought I would buy a cheap frame for a quick re-build but what I have found is a top notch frame at an unbelievable price that I just want to keep adding too. I wouldn't want to land hard on this frame so it probably isn't for you freeriders but if you want to climb quickly and shoot down that single track with confidence then I think you should check it out. I opted for the 18" frame over my usual 21", I'm so glad I did, it feels more nimble than my Trek ever did. Did I say I loved this frame!?

Weaknesses:    So far none... I'm 200lbs and 6ft and its taking me without complaining.

Bottom Line:
Check out this frame, you will be hard pressed to find fault and just maybe you will love it too.

Favorite Trail:   english downs

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300disc and my trusty old Proflex.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager and shimano from the trek and added a king earl crankset to take my weight, and a Sette Ti Nyx saddle to offset some of that extra weight. (great saddle by the way)

Submitted by monkeybutt a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2009

Strengths:    Great climber and responsive handling. Price is unbelievably low. Builds up very well w/ good alignment. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Welds are not as nice as on my handbuilt Bontragers or Tomac, but at this price level who cares?

Bottom Line:
I tried this frame because my steel Bontrager is a tad too small in the top tube for me. I had a local shop transfer some of my old plus some new components to the Reken. The outcome has been pleasently unexpected and a bit shocking. This inexpensive frame/bike noticeably outclimbs my steel Bontrager and may even be better than my well sized titanium Bonty, too. Handling is instant w/ a Marzocchi 80mm fork, but downhills are well controlled. The ride is a bit more abrupt on the bumps than the more compliant metals, but not really bad if ridden like a hardtail should be. The 16" size must be particularly well sized for me, as I experianced much less hand fatigue/numbness than on three of my other bikes including a full suspension 78 Special. I am tempted to trade out my previously go-to titanium frame for another Reken.

Favorite Trail:   Lang Ranch, Space Mountain

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M2, Steel Race OR Bontrager, Titanium Bontrager

Bike Setup:   XT, RaceFace, Sette, WTB, Marzocchi 80mm

Submitted by derekestivers a Weekend Warrior from Wasilla, Alaska

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2009

Strengths:    Price, weight, quality and design.

Weaknesses:    Shipping to AK! It sucks being considered a foreign country when it comes to trying to get stuff shipped to AK. I had to have the frame shipped to a family member in WA, and have them forward the frame through USPS for $43. I don't see what the big deal is. I'd have paid $50 more for them to ship it to me direct.

Bottom Line:
I pieced this together with a few spare components from my old i-drive. This was meant to be a test to see if my wife would be into the sport. The bike build costed less than a Huffy from Wally-World, but I'm very impressed with the feel and ridability of the bike. I've even riden it a few times for fun. The final product is very light(frame is a hair over 3.5lbs) and easy for my wife to pedal around. Being 200lbs myself, I don't know if I'd force too much on this bike, but I know all 125 lbs of my wife couldn't hurt this thing if she tried. She likes it, but she has nothing to compare it too. I've ridden my whole life, and am impressed with the cost, quality, and weight combination.

Favorite Trail:   Alaska!

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Any other hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Truvativ Stylo Crankset/bottom bracket, LX running gear, Mavic Crosstrail wheelsets, Avid Discs, Reba Fork

Submitted by bigNslow a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2009

Strengths:    Looks and rides great, price.

Weaknesses:    Paint does chip very easily - may not get trail cred/respect from bike snobs.

Bottom Line:
The single speed bug bit me and I decided to build one up on a budget using parts I had laying around. I wasn't willing to gamble on a chi chi frame, especially since this wasn't to be my primary ride and I didn't know if the SS thing would be for me. Well, I saw the Reken frame on sale for $79 and after reading many great reviews, figured it was a no-brainer! I pulled the trigger, built it up and have been riding it since with a huge grin on my face. I have to say that the frame has exceeded my expectations (as has single speed riding). It looks great, the ride (for aluminum) is better than expected and the quality of the frame seems very much on par with more expensive offerings. I really think that you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal on a new frame, especially if you're looking to add another bike to your collection without having to take out a second mortgage. Hard tail fun, great looks, great price - get it and don't look back - it really IS a no-brainer!

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list.

Bike Setup:   Sette Reken frame, Marzocchi MX Pro Lo fork, Mavic Crossride Disc wheels, Avid BB7 brakes

Submitted by shaypop a Weekend Warrior from chula vista

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    the frame sizing seems to fit me well--no in between. frame also has nice, clean welds.

Weaknesses:    the hanger is the only flaw so far i see with the frame. down right flimsy. grazed a small boulder and the thing twisted and bent right in half

Bottom Line:
frame is nice. hanger is flimsy. weak metal

Favorite Trail:   4 palms

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   distance, isis

Bike Setup:   nothing fancy. average parts. xtr & xt

Submitted by tmmtb a Cross Country Rider from coral springs

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2009

Strengths:    it looks nice especially for the price, handles well, not too heavy, disc or vbrake capability

Weaknesses:    this frame is either not meant for 120mm travel or jumping. I snapped the frame in half (both tubes) close to the head tube -it looked like someone took a hacksaw to it

Bottom Line:
On the weekends while hanging out with some freeriders I would hit some of the smaller jumps, hucks, and ~20' rocky downhills this is probably were I weakend the frame structurally and it basically tore in half close to the head tube on a 15 to 20 foot climb- lucky me! use this frame for only light trailriding or maybe xc.

know your bikes limits or when in doubt spend the money on a better frame!

Favorite Trail:   markham park

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   stumpjumper hardtail m2- bought it back sometime in '98 and still ride it now in '09- worth every penny!

Bike Setup:   odi grips raceface hb,st,hs,ck,sp, sram x7 drivetrain, mavic 819 tubless w/ larsen tt tires, bb7 brakes, marz xc 600 tst2 120mm fork, eggbeaters, sette amp saddle

Submitted by NovakanX a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is tough. Geometry is nice and slack, great for a trail bike. Matte black is Matte Sexy;)

Weaknesses:    None yet. Might be a little heavy for weight weenies, but weight weenies usually don't usually go for big jumps etc.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is for the $, you will not find a better hardtail frame out there. Do your homework and read some reviews on the frame. I haven't seen anyone who wasn't happy with it yet, and it surpasses everyone's expectations.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed drivetrain, Fox TALAS, block style DH stem with Easton bars, Bontrager wheelset.

Submitted by P51Joe a Racer from Crystal Lake, IL 60014

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    Strong light and priced way too right

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Performance Bike sells the same darn frame in red with their name on it for $199, on sale usually for $169.The Reken is about the equal of the Motobecane Fly Team etc. If this had a Trek, Specialized or other poser brand decal on it, it would be $500 easy!