Sette Phantom XC Hardtail

• Crankset: FSA K-Force Carbon Light CK3200
  • Bottom Bracket: FSA Ceramic Mega EXO

Submitted by Tyler a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2014

Strengths:    One of the lightest hardtails on the market, extremely stiff, climbs better than any other bike, looks great, descends well for a hardtail. It is the perfect bike for XC racing! Its extremely fast and nimble. Handles unbelievable well in the singltrack!

Weaknesses:    Non that I can see

Bottom Line:
After having this bike for a few years I have really learned to love it. I encourage anyone who is looking for a cheap carbon bike that can perform well. It holds up really well and can take a beating! Good luck everyone!

Favorite Trail:   Colvert loop

Bike Setup:   Big risers bars, short stem, 2x9 XTR drive train, XT brakes

Submitted by Wanna-Be Racer a Racer from Niagara, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    Light, stiff, super responsive sprint and climbs

Bottom Line:
Bar none the best bang for the buck carbon frame there is. Came with threads and surfaces fully dressed and ready to build. No issues with fitment. Super stiff, responsive climber but the carbon quiets the chatter on rougher trails. I'm a wanna-be racer and this bike is the perfect secret weapon

Favorite Trail:   Snail trail

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper Comp

Bike Setup:   Phantom Frame, SID fork, XTR, XT Mix, Easton XC Ones. 20lb

Submitted by optiguy a Weekend Warrior from Wallyworld, Connecticut, USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, light, great climber, sweet looking, awesome component group, 5 year warranty on frame

Weaknesses:    the maxxis 310 tires are light, imo that is there only strength, unless you only ride on hard pack or asphalt they are useless.

Bottom Line:
This a great bike @ a great price, the components alone are worth the price I paid for it. I find myself making climbs I had not come close to in the past. Only time will tell how the frame holds up but so far so good. The biggest problem with this bike is just getting past the name imo. I compare it to buying a Hyundai, well made cars but a lot of people just cant get past the name.

Favorite Trail:   Tylers Mill

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   stock except tires

Submitted by rubixcube a Racer from Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2010

Strengths:    Gorgeous carbon frame with internal cable routing - only 2.5 lbs!! Excellent component choice, XTR, Fox RLC, avid elixir carbon, xtr shift levers and derailleurs, FSA k-force lite crank. I really like the Elixir carbon brakeset - plus, they are actually 30g lighter (per brake) than the xt levers/calipers - I weighed each on a digital scale.

Weaknesses:    Maxxis 310s are useless off road in florida, AC terrain disk OEM hubs are questionable, sette grips are junk. But these are very minor complaints.

Bottom Line:
This sette phantom is gorgeous to look at it. I can stop staring at it. This bike accelerates, handles and climbs better than any bike I have ever ridden. This bike handles with amazing precision once you get it set up right. Reminds me of the seven sola titanium hardtail.

Geometry on this bike is a little undersized. The size large sette frame is more like a 18" frame from other companies (i.e. Trek).

Actual weight straight out of the box was 19.6lbs (after removing reflectors and other junk).

What a deal!

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   Fox F100 RLC w/ FIT. Replaced 100mm FSA slk stem w/ 90mm FSA OS-99 (98 grams!). Plan on replacing the stock seatpost w/ a 25mm sb FSA k-force lite. Replaced the sette grips w/ ODI lizzard skins. Converted wheelset to tubeless. Removing the ugly Sette badge from the head tube was easy. I plan on replacing it with skull and cross-bones.

Submitted by brett a Cross Country Rider from San jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, stiffness, price, looks great.

Bottom Line:
Great light stiff racing frame. I wouldn't use it for any drops or really technical stuff. I have ridden 5 times now and on a course that i will be racing on in a few weeks and it is a great frame. With my currnet setup it weighs in at 19.75 lbs. Super light

Favorite Trail:   Grizzly Flats

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Hayes stroker brakes, Spinergy Xyclone wheels, Tioga spyder saddle, XT Cranks, Sram XO group, Easton bar and stem, Mantiou R7 Platinum fork

DJI Phantom

I'm surprised that there isn't mention on this forum of the DJI Phantom quadcopter and how useful it can be to get some cool shots and trail footage. My son-in-law and I went in on a joint effort, neither one of us with any RC experience, and after just a handful of flights came up with some good, ... Read More »

Xtr phantom shift

04 or 05 xtr 9spd on a epic comp. me 200 lbs in good shape, when mashing on pedals in middle gears get phantom shifting. Just keeps shifting tell I back pressure off and it settles in on gear it started it was on before it was phantom shifting. Only happens when I am really pedaling hard and only in ... Read More »

Phantom Pack Systems

I'm planning on purchasing a set (handle bar and seat post) bags. I'm leaning toward Phantom Pack Systems. Does anyone use these bags? Handle Bar Bag loads from one end only. They seem to be well made from the website pictures. Any info or pictures of your setup would be appreciated. Thanks, RickRead More »

Gore Phantom jacket and Fusion GT AS jacket/pants review

I'm trying to take a deliberate approach to reviewing my winter setup this year, so here are my reviews of: [URL="http://ridingagainstthegrain.com/2011/12/21/gorephantomjacket/"]Gore Phantom Jacket[/URL] [URL="http://ridingagainstthegrain.com/2011/12/23/gore-fusion-gt-as-review/"]Gore Fusion G ... Read More »

Phantom Shifting/component issue?

Hey. I am going through some nonsense with my bike. Every time I take it out I have to re-adjust the rear derailleur on my bike. It tends to want to shift whenever the heck it feels like it unless we take a few minutes and re adjust it. Also, one of the regular crew is a tech in the bike shop so it ... Read More »