Scott Scale 70 XC Hardtail

• 12.70 kg / 27.97 lbs

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by nvalero1 a Weekend Warrior from SydneyNSWAustralia

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    Light bike, good entry level for XC racing,all drivetrains are mid-range Shimano Deore/SLX combination. Nothing to upgrade unless you develop an "Upgrade Itch". I bought it in TheBikeBarn in Parramatta, I checked their website and I checked Scott Scale 70 and when I walked in the shop to meet Scott in person, first thing I said..." Can I see Scott Scale 70 in person please..." then the owner Rob showed him to me and was very helpful and even replaced the mountain bike wheel to 1.5 sleek tyre for free on the spot as I will be using it a lot on the road. gave me free water bottle holder, discount on SPD pedals!

Very very excellent customer service. I went back after a week and he remember's my name!!! Amazing experience!!! Hat's off to Mr Rob, he also care's very well to his workers !!! a very excellent owner that know his bikes very well!!!

Weaknesses:    None!!! like what I said unless you have the "Upgrade Itch" I'm thinking of upgrading the drivetrains to Shimano Deore XT , why? because it looks good, that's all really and maybe lighter, but the components included with Scott Scale 70 (2011) is enough for entry level XC racing and trail. I didnt even know after I purchased the bike! I was like "hmm thats why its expensive!! "

Bottom Line:
    A very good entry level bike, if you want a hard tail bike :)

Go visit your local bike shop and check it out, test drive it!!! Ask for Rob in TheBikeBarn in Parramatta if you leave in Sydney, AUS

Favorite Trail:   Oaks Fire Trail Woodford

Purchased At:   TheBikeBarn.com.au

Similar Products Used:   Avanti (1997 model) but this is a major upgrade!!!

Bike Setup:   all original components, I replaced the stock pedal to SPD Shimano Deore XT pedals, I installed a bar end, helps me a lot when doing technical climbing and does not cramp my arms.

Submitted by scale70 a Weekend Warrior from ACT, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    Responsive, smooth, light and for the price, a good combination of components.

Weaknesses:    Seat though light and stylish is hard and uncomfortable over long rides. My butt hurts after a 70 kms ride. I have already place an order for a WTB Laser V Team saddle.

Bottom Line:
    I ride a Specialized Roubaix road bike and though a mountain bike will never feels as responsive as a road bike, this bike surprised me at how smooth and easy it is to apply pedal power. The gear change is very precise and works every time. Suspension is adequate and I find myself enjoying going over small obstacles. On a single track, going uphill seems pretty easy. The bike's lightness seems to encourage you to climb. On a moderately level single track, this bike is at its best. For XC and endurance rides, this bike is the right choice. Bottom line is I like it very much and would recommend it to anyone looking for an XC hardtail without spending too much.

Favorite Trail:   Tuggeranong Pines

Purchased At:   TLC Cycles

Similar Products Used:   None though tested Trek 6000, Trek 4300, Cannondale Trail SL3, Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Trek Mamba 29er, Focus Redskin 3 29er

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Tora TK fork, Shimano Deore/SLX gears, Shimano disc brakes, Scott Race seat, Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 tires, Alex Rim xc44 wheelset.

Submitted by shave a Racer from washington, dc

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    This bike rides smooth and the components are amazing. The frame can handle almost anything.

Weaknesses:    Really no complaints- seat is a bit tight on the longer rides

Bottom Line:
    This really is one of the best mountian bikes I have used. It is also light.

Has head turning factor as well- if you care about that

Favorite Trail:   redwood forests in Marin

Purchased At:   Hudson Trail

Similar Products Used:   Marin mountian bike, Specialized

Bike Setup:   From bike shop

Submitted by Wild fish a Cross Country Rider from DeepRIver, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Strengths:    Good geometry. Great climber. Light frame.

Weaknesses:    Wieght: mostly in the stock components: Dart 2 fork, crankset and accessories. Rear deraileur dropout bends easy but is replaceable (buy extras now to avoid downtime)

Bottom Line:
    It is a great bike, but not when you're riding with guys with full suspensions. I cannot keep up with the full suspensions on downhills or rock gardens. I outclimb most full suspensions. Will be better (lighter) once i get a chance to replace the fork, crankset, bar and seatpost. fork makes front end heavy. I am Jonzeing for a full suspension. you only live once.

Favorite Trail:   Pattaconk resevoir

Purchased At:   Cycling Concepts

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR xc

Bike Setup:   Stock with cantilever brakes. Panaracer tire set - Scott tires were only good on hardpack. New wheels and rims (rim brakes wore thru the old ones). new seat(bent old one OUCH) 3rd set of platform pedals. New XT rearderaileur (tweaked old). Lifetime supply of rear drop-out replacements(two week wait was too much)

Submitted by Jack Biker a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola, FL

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    Outstandingly light bike! Good components, the geometry "feels" right. Overall, incredibly strong bike.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is probably the best on the market for the price. It is fairly inexpensive as far as nice mountain bikes go, however it is anything but cheap. I have put this bike through hell and back, taken it off of large jumps, up and down crazy trails and really tried to tear the bike up. No matter what I do, it just takes it, and keeps on crankin'. I love this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Reid State Park Georgetown, ME

Purchased At:   Lewis & Clark Fayett

Similar Products Used:   Kona Lava Dome, Specialized Rock Hopper, Rocky Mountain

Submitted by pcordon a Weekend Warrior from Guatemala

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2008

Strengths:    Light. Nice look. Good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Heavy on the crankset. Seat is very light but uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
    It is a great bike. It's my first real mountain bike and I'm glad I got it. Everything works fine.
    Great value for the price.

Purchased At:   Bicimania Guatemala

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000.

Bike Setup:   Original setup.

Submitted by Panos a Weekend Warrior from Athens, Greece

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2008

Strengths:    Frame is very light and most of the components are also light.

Weaknesses:    First of all the fork. It's a RockShox Dart2 which is the most cheapest fork of them; it's heavy @ 2,5kg. Second it has Shimano Deore crankset/front derarieur/shifters which also are one of the cheapest categories.

Bottom Line:
    For it's price it's a great bargain. You get a light bike frame (so you can upgrade later according your needs) with descent components except the front fork of course which is a Rockshox Dart2. For those 3 months I have it, it has a great feeling making it very easy to ride!

It's recommended for anyone who wants a great bike for a fresh start and don't have a pile o money to buy one.

Purchased At:   KassimatsBikes