Scott Scale 60 XC Hardtail

• Shifters: Shimano Deore / RF-fire SL
  • Brake Levers: Avid FR-5

Submitted by max5646 a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2011

Strengths:    light,stable,strong, well balanced.

Weaknesses:    shocking peddles, forks could be better but their usable. brakes need to be upgraded if on fast road use, and so should triers

Bottom Line:
If you want some to ride to work in, or just a run about its great as its light, can take a small bit of punishment off road. well balanced. not the most pleasant bike to ride for hours. But its great from short to medium distances, lets say any thing from 1 meter to 4 mile

Favorite Trail:   -

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by saoirseanbothar a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    Prone to breaking. In the last 8 months two scott frames have failed on me. The first a scale 40 had a fracture on the rear sub frame beside the hanger for the deraileur. This fracture clearly came from a design fault. Scott gave me a replacement scale 60 frame but this broke after three or four uses. Scott refuse to accept it as being warranty related. The top stem buckled some 12 inches back from the head stock. The frame had no major impacts only the usual feet stuck in the cleats fall.

Bottom Line:
Specialised are probably more sturdy. Scott have concentrated too much on reducing weight which gives a weeker frame not imho suitable for propert mountain biking. Friends have crashed hard on specialised with no damage to the frame.

Favorite Trail:   Isle of Man end to end

Purchased At:   Bikestyle

Submitted by shane a Cross Country Rider from newcastle nsw australia

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent frame and forks

Weaknesses:    sum of the original run gear not up to hard uses eg rim's and rear derailer

Bottom Line:
Great value for money bike that you can really spec up and turn in to a full race machine. Ive been giving mine a flogging and it stands up very well climbs like a mountain goat and great on the flat.makes an excellent entry level bike

Purchased At:   local bik shop

Bike Setup:   Fulcram rims,sram redwin cassette rear derailer gear shifters,token carbon bar,tubeless tyres all other set up original spec's

Submitted by tonatiuh gutierrez a Weekend Warrior from Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, color sheme, 7005 aluminum frame, price. This frame is an incredible option for those who are interested in XC racing.

Weaknesses:    Fork not that suitable for XC racing, Scott components a bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have to admit that I was looking for a frame to build a lightweight XC racing bike and what I ended up buying was this complete 2007 Scott Scale 60 bike. I did it for the frame which I found perfect for the purpose and started to put it apart and built it with all the parts that I chose (described above) because I wanted a very versatile and light XC hardtail. The result, a 23.07 lbs. cross country bike that is perfect for the use I give to it every weekend and is pretty similar to my ex road bike´s weight. Since I switched from road to mountain biking, this bike has given me a lot of joy and a lot of trail miles without the need to get use to a heavier bike.

Favorite Trail:   La herradura

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale scalpel, Cannondale F7

Bike Setup:   Ritchey WCS Carbon: flat bar, stem, headset, seatpost. Shimano XT: dual levers, V brakes, crankset, front deraileur, wheels.
Shimano XTR: rear deraileur, chain, brake and gear cables.
Fizik Gobi saddle, Kenda Karma tires.

Submitted by mwitts a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    great frame,easily upgradable,seems under priced,great color scheme

Weaknesses:    heavy forks with limited travel,no discs as standard

Bottom Line:
for the money i couldnt find anything any where near as good, the scott name works every time,its never let me down.

Favorite Trail:   nothing you would know!

Purchased At:   uk store called leis

Bike Setup:   avid juicy 5 sl 203 front,185 rear,work a treat! ritchey carbon bars and seat post

Submitted by Dan1004 a Cross Country Rider from Saskatoon, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2009

Strengths:    Nice frame, decent components for price, good agressive cockpit.

Weaknesses:    No disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
I test drove every bike around- Kona, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Brodie, Devinci, Rocky Mountain and one Cannondale which I almost bought. I found the Scott to be the best deal, mostly because the frame was the best (in my opinion) for the price, and the ergonomics suited me. I'm 6"1 on a short day and 210 lbs. I've started my upgrades here and there, but basically feel that I've got one of the best aluminum hard tails on the market, and with a bit more upgrades, what more can I ask for? I ride quite hard (yes, we do have some pretty technical trails here on the prairie) and fairly often. I've put in a solid summer with it and did manage to get out a couple times with the warm up (all the way to -5). The bike is perfectly solid and has never done a bad thing. 5 stars for me..... but I can't help to wonder why more people don't score this bike higher......

Favorite Trail:   Anything north Sutherland area

Purchased At:   2nd Natuire

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Giant

Bike Setup:   Stock, except new Ido grips, Juicy 5 brakes front and back, XM317 Rim and Blackeye Rim with new hubs for 6 bolt discs.

Submitted by bryan r a Racer from cleveland oh

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    light and durable
quality components
locking frok

Weaknesses:    cable set up for derailers and brakes

Bottom Line:
for the dollar amount this is an increadable bike. i did pick this up off ebay for a steal and was looking for used racer to take me from road racing to off road events without breaking the bank to see if I would even like it. Well I love it and this bike is to blame.
there are definatly better bikes out there but even at $1000-1300ish you would be hard pressed to find a better value in terms of frame and component quality, now if they could just route the cables better i woulda given it a 4 on the overall

Favorite Trail:   ray indoor park

Similar Products Used:   cannondale scalpel

Bike Setup:   carbon rizer bar and platform pedals panaracer firexc

Submitted by Alexi a Weekend Warrior from Stafford

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    -Weight is Good
-Design looks cool
-Tyres
-Fast

Weaknesses:    -Forks Arent Good only 80mm
-Front Deraillier

Bottom Line:
If Your A racer, or Just using it on the weekend this bike is amazing.
Its handling and stability are awesome, and if you upgrade the brakes, tyres and pedals you have one good bike.

Favorite Trail:   Chase The Dog-Cannock

Bike Setup:   Stock-Upgraded To Dics and Panaracer Tyres

Submitted by Danny Stewart from Edinburgh

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2007

Strengths:    has done 600+ miles no problem on and off road, forks have been pretty good, won a xc race on the baby

Weaknesses:    the front end seems a bit to light in some situations, frame isnt too strong on the bottom,

Bottom Line:
Awesome weekend warriors bike, love the colours hasnt really missed a beat or let me down in any big way comfortable bike to ride probably a better bike for average riders.

Favorite Trail:   glentress scotland

Purchased At:   evanscycles

Bike Setup:   upgraded the vbrakes to avid juicy 7s, upgraded handlebars to easton50s, new cranks and bottom bracket, mavic front rim

Submitted by Victor Vazquez a Weekend Warrior from Ulsan, South Korea

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2007

Strengths:    I have the 2007 model
light frame + good components

Weaknesses:    maybe the frame

Bottom Line:
I use the bicycle to do serious climbing on the weekends...grades 10% and greater...on fire-access type roads. Downhills are either on the same fire-access type roads or via single track through the forest.

I find the rear tire only slips when my body placement is off, even when I'm in loose soil.

The RockShox Tora 302 fork works great for me (165lbs). I notice that it can really take the hits when screaming downhill without shocking your body.

I think the AL 7005 frame is stiff enough and does not cause you to loose power (like I’ve read in other reviews). However, the frame walls might be too thin. I have already put a very big dent in my top tube (the bike tipped over on to a large rock after I had fallen off). No problems...it only hurts to look at ! I would have gone with a bicycle with a heavier frame.

No problems with the brakes, they are working great (even downhill when its muddy).

I have some noise in the front derailleur, but I intend to have that fixed.

Favorite Trail:   Nammok

Purchased At:   omk

Similar Products Used:   diamond back topanga

Bike Setup:   stock = avid v-brakes + tora fork 302 + xt & deore derailleurs + deore shifters

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from chattanooga tn

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Great looking bike, rides good very strong, great over bumbs very stable bike

Weaknesses:    Fron shox is crape!!

Bottom Line:
love the bike rides great and looks awesome, have put 400 miles on the bike and it's still running strong

Favorite Trail:   racoon mountain trail network

Purchased At:   suck creek cycle

Similar Products Used:   Treck,Jamis

Bike Setup:   avid carbon disc brakes, rock shox boxxer front shox, xtr front an rear derailler bontragger jones tires!!!

Submitted by steven trousdale from lancs england

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    really good frame nice and light. ready to upgrade.

Weaknesses:    the rims and fork are a joke. poss the worst fork in the world.

Bottom Line:
bought this bike for the frame and once my finances were in a better state i could change the components to a better quality. shes now riding like a dream. forks and discs are a must. forks are so heavy .she now whips my brothers townsend he is bike mad.

Favorite Trail:   north face grizdale

Purchased At:   evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   gt avalanche

Bike Setup:   xt dual control ,with mavic 717 disc rims xt hubs.race face evolve seat post stem and bars. maz mx pro eta forks 120s

Submitted by Diogo Magalhães a Cross Country Rider from Lisboa

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    Suspension (Tora 318 U-Turn), lock pedals, rear derailer (Shimano XT) and the guear shifters that iclude breaks

Weaknesses:    Bad Tires, bad breaks ... did i mention bad tires? ill repeat, bad tires!

Bottom Line:
Well i bought the 2006 model and, hell!, i only got good thigs to talk about. First of all if you are now begining a more serious XC buy it, there is nothing as good for the same price as this, it comes with every thing you might have to come ustue to the pro line of bikes exept for the disc brake, plus its already a race bike that will take any kind of course.

Favorite Trail:   Arrábida

Purchased At:   Jasma

Bike Setup:   Deore disc (you really wont need more), any tires aside from scott ones i trully went throw hell with them

Submitted by Hill Rick-James a Cross Country Rider from Reed City MI USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    Price, Derailer, Sadle, Frame, Bars, Shifters

Weaknesses:    Fork but I am a clyde

Bottom Line:
I love the geometry the bike handled well on single track I only bought it last week so I will update when i have ridden it more

Favorite Trail:   Standing rocks, VISA, Helena Ridge