Scott Scale 50 XC Hardtail

• Brakes: Shimano M 525 Disc 160 mm rotor F+R
  • Crankset:Shimano FC-M 470 hollowtech / 22x32x44 T

Submitted by -Chameleon- a Cross Country Rider from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2009

Strengths:    -GREAT Value
-Extremely light and strong frame
-Great quality
-Awesome brakes
-Stock tyres roll so fast its crazy

Weaknesses:    -Fork is very heavy
-Tyres are not as grippy as I would like

Bottom Line:
This is a great value bike. The frame is incredibly light, I found myself shooting up climbs faster than ever before. The brakes are great, with just enough bite for my liking. The brakes levers suit me perfectly too, as i have small hands. The stock groupset performs perfectly, as expected from Shimano. The stock fork, a RockShox Tora SL is ok, but very heavy. The stock spring was a bit too hard for me, I'm a 50kg rider.

Overall, this is a fantastic bike that would perfectly suit an entry level XC rider. The aggressive looks are attractive, and the stock components are great, except the forks. A great bike for a great price.

I'll be upgrading to a Fox fork once I have the money.

Favorite Trail:   The Goatfarm

Purchased At:   Kalamunda Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Merida Matts TFS 100-D

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 50, Avid Juicy 3.5, Deore XT, RockShox Tora SL, Kenda Nevegal 2.35

Submitted by Cmontanez a Weekend Warrior from Chihuahua, Mexico

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    Agressive geometry, very good weight/price ratio, hydraulic brakes, looks good. Great stock tires.

Weaknesses:    Fork was too heavy, front derailer and crankset too heavy for the nice frame.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from a GIANT Rincon, there is an abyss between the two. I have riden it in both marathon (45mi) and XC races, and it has proven to be very fast and has taken a couple of hard hits with no problem. Excellent purchase, I am definitely sticking with SCOTT on my next upgrade (I'll probably be changing the crankset to an SLX soon).

Purchased At:   Vinci Bike

Bike Setup:   Replaced fork with a 2007 FOX 100RL, converted tires to tubeless, replaced original seat with a Specialized Avatar

Submitted by queevil a Cross Country Rider from Waco,Tx USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2009

Strengths:    Great craftsmanship. Fairly light even with stock parts. Aggressive geometry. XT rear der.

Weaknesses:    The fork and wheelset are ridiculously heavy at around 5# each.

Bottom Line:
Before I make any complaints let me say that I am very happy with this bike. For a hardtail that's a lot better than an entry level hardtail but not quite as well spec'd as a professional racing bike Scott put together a great bike. So I have a few complaints. The frame, with it's racing inspired geometry is awesome but the 5# fork and nearly 5# wheelset make it anything but a race bike. The frame is more than worthy of upgrades so I plan on upgrading the wheels to something a couple of pounds lighter and then the same with the fork, maybe a sid. When that's done I think this bike will accelerate like a beast. So all in all I think that this is a great bike aside from some weight issues with two very important components. The person who wants a quality hardtail and knows that mountain biking is something that they will stick with should give the Scale 50 a test ride and buy it if it's comfortable. I think that person would be better served by the Scale 50 than most entry level hardtails especially those which cost under a grand. Who shouldn't buy it? Those who's riding style is more aggressive than xc riding would be better served by an all mountain rig. Those who aren't sure if mtb is a a sport that they will stick with. Those with a huge budget would do well to check out the higher end Scale models with the nicer parts. In summary this is a great bike who's frame just begs to be upgraded. Because of the heavy fork and wheels I have to give this bike a rating of four chilli's.

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper,Trek 6700,Cannondale F5

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Shimano SPD's

Submitted by changer a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2009

Strengths:    Strong and light frame. For racers who like to go fast

Weaknesses:    For racers who like to go fast. Aggressive geometry not for all.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Can take punishment and handles well.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Bike Setup:   Carbon Riser Bars, Thompson Stem, WTB Saddle

Submitted by Damage a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Strengths:    Nice ride, Strong, Fast, Light

Weaknesses:    Tyres are rubbish, I upgraded to a riser bar, brakes didn't suit me

Bottom Line:
This is a briilant bike, its handles like a dream and is amazingly fast! Upgrade to a riser bar and change the tyres and your away! I didn't like the brakes (juicy 3.5) as i have huge hands and i don't like the lever placement on them. Otherwise this bike is awesome!

Favorite Trail:   St Pat's Forrest

Purchased At:   Cycle Science, Lower

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   FSA gravity Carbon riser bar, Hayes Stroker Trail brakes, Geax Sugurio tyres.

Submitted by kytternes a Cross Country Rider from Oslo

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    Tough built, great frame, nice ride!

Weaknesses:    Fork is heavy!

Bottom Line:
Great value for the money but could have been a 1 kg lighter but that would have rised the price. I love it!!

Favorite Trail:   Nordmarka rundt

Purchased At:   XXL

Similar Products Used:   Scott Boulder, HardRocx Stone Machine

Bike Setup:   Changed to riserbar, gives much more control, front derailleur LX, Schwalbe Hurricane tires *much faster*

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight (28lbs fully loaded), nimble, aggressive geometry, just plain fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    Lightweight means not as strong??? I dunno. Had a minor issue w/ front derailer after rear tire/tube replacement. Price.

Bottom Line:
Test rode so many bikes it made my head spin, but my top two choices were the Tassajara and the Scale 50. Something about the geometry of the Scott that I really liked.
I may need to eventually change the stem or handlebars but that aggressive feel while riding is addicting.
Just took it for my first long ride (22mi round trip...long for a noob like myself) and had a blast. I feel fast (even though I'm not) and nimble on it and it's just plain fun to ride. Definitely recommend if you have the funds.

Favorite Trail:   none...yet

Purchased At:   Campus Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Test rode - GF Tassajara (08), Giant XTC2, Kona Cinder Cone, 07 GF Tassajara, Specialized HardRock/Rockhopper, Trek 4300, Cannondale F...something.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Iwan Kemp from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2007

Strengths:    Value for Money. Solid build. Reliable. Handles well on single track, mild downhills and jeep track.

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy, but fair for the price range.

Bottom Line:
Had to decide between Raleigh RM 4.0, GT Avalanche 1 and one or two others, but got a great deal and service from the guys at Willie Engelbrecht. For the money buy it. For it's intented purpose it's the best there is.

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville

Purchased At:   Willie Engelbrecht Cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock with Mars 3.0 taillight, XTR Pedals and Polar HRM and Computer

Submitted by Jari a Cross Country Rider from Finland

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2006

Strengths:    Beautiful ride! Geometry of the bike suits me nicely.

Weaknesses:    Fork! Short travel and heavy. But still, good enough.

Bottom Line:
For the money i spend, this bike is great. Nowadays i've bougth Giant full-susser, but the difference between Giant and Scott is not big. If i would get the full-susser which is as good to ride as Scott, it would be heaven.

Bike Setup:   Truvativ riser bar ( straigth bar is not good for my wrists), shorter stem. Shimano pedals M520's.

Submitted by James Russell a Cross Country Rider from Banstead, Surrey, England

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2006

Strengths:    This bike is very light, even though I have the XL frame. Things I Love about this bike- beautiful craftmanship, quality components, easy to ride, Hydraulic disk brakes, good looking, fork-mounted lockout/rebound adjustment and nice frame geometry. Plus very durable for a sports xc bike.

Weaknesses:    standard tyres give no confidence on the road. Many people say that 80mm fork travel is too little for this bike.

Bottom Line:
I am approaching 3000 miles on the computer now, and only just changed front brake pads. apart from tyres and regular maintenance, she has'nt needed anything else. The scott scale 50 is an electrifying bike to ride, though £870 is the most expencive bike I've ever bought by far. accelerates and climbs superbly. I'm using 1.9" semi-slick tyres (continental double fighterII) at the moment as the majority of my riding is on the road/broken tarmack/hard pack, but fitting larger volume tyres makes the bike very capable and comfortable off road. well worth the extra money over the scale 60. In short a very versatile and balanced bike.

Favorite Trail:   winterpark, kent

Purchased At:   www.Pedalon.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Scott tampico '00, scott boulder '04 and scott montana '05

Bike Setup:   Standard, apart from tyres and brake pads. Also, some f*cker stole my saddle & seatpost. Beware of Quick release = quick theft. use a saddle saver about £3.

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from germany

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    Very light frame. If you need that warm and fuzzy feeling for the first time with disk brakes this helped me out. I've ridden over 600 miles on this bike and its great.

Weaknesses:    To much Shimano! Its like any other product on the market. I'm not impressed with Shimano at all.

Bottom Line:
Scott makes good stuff. In Europe Scott is growing. I would buy another Scott in a heart beat! The biggest problem was the front fork. Very heavy.

Favorite Trail:   in Europe,Thousands!

Purchased At:   Hoffman in Schweinfurt

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Team front shock. Sram 9-gear, chain X.O shifters,Sella Seat. I'm not done yet!

Submitted by Robert Dukes a Racer from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2006

Strengths:    the frame, ahs an awsome racing stucture.me and my trainer own a scott scale

Weaknesses:    the fork.2005 manitou axey.not very good.the lock out always moves when on rides

Bottom Line:
awsome, not top of the line, but high end racing bike.ive had mine for almost 10 months and i love it.the only thing that i have changed is the handlebars(carbon), the fork (2006 manitou black), tires(tubeless mechilen wildgrippers fronts, and tubeless mechiles xls rears)

Purchased At:   Sun and ski sports

Similar Products Used:   scott scale 40.my trainer's

Submitted by ben h from sydney,nsw,australia

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Strengths:    good looks, setup, geometry and price

Weaknesses:    shocks

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money, i use it for commuting as well as trail riding. changed the shifters for personal preference, nothing wrong with the shimanos. The breaks are great and have had no problem with bike so far. highly recommended

Favorite Trail:   watagen mt

Purchased At:   crank

Similar Products Used:   cannondale badboy, specialized P3 & time Z pedals

Bike Setup:   sram X9 shifters and derailer

Submitted by Chris Lines a Cross Country Rider from Newark, Delaware

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2005

Strengths:    Disc brakes, well balanced components with the exception of the front shock (see below), great looking bike

Weaknesses:    Manitou Axel Comp front shock is not up to the job.

Bottom Line:
This is my first serious moutain bike, so I don't have anything to compare this with. However, in the 6 months that I have owned the bike I have been very pleased with its performance. I mainly ride singletrack XC with relatively technical uphill and downhill sections, and occasionally compete in short (10-15 mile) XC races. The bike has handled everything I have thrown at it so far. Disc brakes are a huge bonus. The only disappointing component was the front shock (Manitou Axel Comp). However, on the plus side, this is also one of the components that is easiest to replace. The ride was extremely firm with this shock, so I recently switched it for an '05 Marzocchi MX Pro ETA. Since then the ride has improved dramatically, and I no longer feel like I am riding a regular steel frame! I would recommend this bike to anyone looking to get in to XC or racing but doesn't want to commit to spending $1500+ on a bike yet.

Favorite Trail:   Fairhill Park, MD