Scott Scale 40 XC Hardtail

• Brake Levers: Shimano LX 580 Disc
  • Brakes: Shimano LX 580 Disc 160 mm rotor F+R

Submitted by TrailJunkie a Cross Country Rider from Darmstadt Germany

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, perfect geometrie for racing

Bottom Line:
Wonderful versatile bike. The frame is light and stiff, accelerates extremly good, handels well in down- and uphill situations. The geometry is perfect for racing. I love it :-)

Favorite Trail:   too many

Purchased At:   Frame only at local

Similar Products Used:   Kinesis frames

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 40 (2008) Frame, Schimano XT, Fulcrum Red Metal 1, Race Face Deus, Magura Marta SL Mg, Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Acros Headset, Specialized Phenom sl, XTR pedals, RS Reba Race

Submitted by eggroll a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    very light!

Bottom Line:
this is my novice cyclist review..

this bike is VERY fast!
climbs way faster than my Cannondale.
only had it for a few weeks but like it so far.
very very impressive bike.

Purchased At:   privately (pre-owned

Similar Products Used:   2005 Giant XTC1
2004 Cannondale f1000sl team sobe

Bike Setup:   stock except 90mm truvativ stem, racing ralph tires, prolite armad wheels.

Submitted by watari a Cross Country Rider from Bolingbrook, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Stiff and Responsive

Weaknesses:    Paint chips really easily as some reviewers have noted and the most uncomfortable seat ever. Mountain Kings 2.2 has notable rolling resistance.

Bottom Line:
So far so good and loving it. Very responsive ride. Fox fork is smooth and when it is locked out, it is locked out. No shallow bob like rock shox. Only been riding in wider tack gravel paths lately for winter riding conditions. I have yet to take this out on the winding singletracks with fast switchbacks and varying terrains of tree roots and rocks. SLX components are okay. I will update this post later.

Favorite Trail:   Palos Bull Frog Trails

Purchased At:   Bikeline Naperville

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000, Gary Fisher Piranha

Bike Setup:   2009 Scott Scale 40, Fox 100mm Fork, XT/SLX components, Mountain King 2.2 tires, Alex XC44 wheels, Scott house brand handlebar, stem, seatpost and saddle

Submitted by davejv a Cross Country Rider from Iloilo City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2009

Strengths:    In my opinion, its a really tough frame. Ive been taking it almost everywhere i go and between destinations are some crap condition roads and a few speed bumps that double as jumps. Its a strong frame for me. im 183 pounds by the way.

Weaknesses:    just the paint. chips quite easily

Bottom Line:
buy it if youre looking for a strong light frame

Favorite Trail:   san miguel to cabatuan

Purchased At:   from a friend

Bike Setup:   xc hardtail. 100mm suntour xcp fork. wtb velociraptor2.1s. alexrims ace 18 rims.

Submitted by woody johnson a Weekend Warrior from ny

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2009

Strengths:    I'm a roadie who took the plunge into MTB. I did alot of research and demo'd quite a few bikes b/f I choose the Scott Scale 40. I wanted a hard tail xc bike that had discs a quality lock out fork w/ at least 100mm travel, decent components and was relatively light(yeah, still a roadie at heart)and most importantly is responsive and the scale 40 fit the bill and billfold - lol. So far, I couldn't be happier riding local single tracks and the bike has given me confidence to try up & downhills that I otherwise wouldn't attempt.

Weaknesses:    I find the oem grips too be uncomfortable - will swap them out. No biggie.

Bottom Line:
Great, fast and light bike. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a serious MTB that will allow the them to grow into the sport. Solid aluminum frame and smooth fork. For XC single track riding its just a well made and overall great bike.

Favorite Trail:   bethpage/stillwell

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Demoed fisher, trek, & giant.

Bike Setup:   2008 white/red paint. Juicy 3.5 hyrdo brakes, fox 100mm, xt rear, lx front & crank, alex wheels and scott tires.

Submitted by rrathje a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    Nice geometry. Top tube/seat tube dimensions are ideal for twisty singletrack and my dimensions. Very maneuverable for me. Frame is stiff, yet surprisingly comfortable for an oversized aluminum framed hardtail. Power transfer is outstanding on the short, power climbs and steep sections.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily--paper thin.

Bottom Line:
So far, I really like how my Scott Scale 40 rides. It's a nice bike with spot-on geometry for me. I'm 5'10 and chose a medium sized frame in order to get the top tube length I wanted. My previous bike was a size "Large" Klein Attitude, and it was a little long. The Scott is much more maneuverable for me in tight, twisty singletrack, with better standover height. The Fox fork is very nice, smooth with lots of travel. All components seem solid, if not flashy. Shimano components just plain work for me, and the SLX cranks are absolutely stiff and beefy without a hint of flex even when stomping up steep singletrack seated and in the middle ring. I'm withholding judgement on the Avid brakes--so far, they stop nicely, and modulate smoothly. We'll see how long they stay that way, though...The Scott is also surprisingly comfortable--my Klein Attitude would beat me up after an afternoon of singletrack or fireroad riding, but the Scott seems more comfortable. I attribute that to the heavily shaped tubing. The Klein had essentially round tubing except for the chainstays. The Scott Scale has nary a round tube anywhere, with the exception of the seattube.

My one gripe is the paint. One fireroad jaunt and three chips appeared. My Klein never once had a single paint chip in 6 years of service. Granted, my Klein had a beautiful and tough powdercoat, but Scott should do better than this one-micron layer of cheap, flaky paint. I know, I know, it's a mountain bike...but still.

Overall, a nice hardtail, which is becoming more difficult to find these days (a shame). I still don't have any desire to go full suspension. It suits my "stay-in-the saddle and stomp" riding style. I deduct 1 point for the apparently paper thin Taiwanese paint job.

Other products considered: Kona Kula

Favorite Trail:   Fast, twisty singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attitude w/ full Shimano XT, Judy.

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of Thomson Masterpiece seatpost, Selle Italia Signo saddle.

Submitted by KarlosH a Cross Country Rider from sheffield UK

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, Strong frame, Good Brakes Fantastic forks!! and Looks the Bizz!!

Weaknesses:    Paint wore through where the workstand holds the top tube even with Rubber protection..Crap bars too narrow and Seat far too hard.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great..I am heavy and the bike takes all i can give it without any problems at all. Changed the bars and seat..Also have another set of wheels with road tyres that i can switch in minutes with the same rotors fitted. A fantastic all rounder and good kit for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forrest

Purchased At:   Freetown Cycles Hull

Bike Setup:   Changed a few things but basically left standard

Submitted by Gian a Weekend Warrior from Italy

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
A race bike. Very nervous but climbing fast.

Favorite Trail:   Garda Lake

Purchased At:   06/2006

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from Bunya, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent Frame & Shocks

Weaknesses:    Rims let me down. Rear tacoed and buckled in first week. Front still going well though. Kept the LX hub and had a Mavic 321 built onto it. No problems since.

Bottom Line:
Withe teh exception of the light alex rim giving out (i'm 85kg and can get sideways in the air!). I've given this bike a good nudge at all the trails around Bunya and Mt Cootha and she loves it. The 2.4 WTB up front has given me ooodles more grip up front especially down at 25-30psi. The FOX shock is 1st class.

Favorite Trail:   Jelly Bean

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC2, Trek 8000.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much as stock with new rear rim, WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 on the front.

Submitted by Brent Fullerton a Cross Country Rider from Balikpapan, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2007

Strengths:    Nice red racer looks--light and fast--works well on cross country trails--geometry is comfortable and fits agressive riding.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet...

Bottom Line:
A nice hardtail to add your quiver. If you're looking for a light and affordable rig (400 USD for frame), the Scott 40 is a great place to begin. I've added a few higher end components to my build because I was looking for light, strong bike to balance out with my Specialized Epic Marathon.

Favorite Trail:   Bali trails

Purchased At:   Toko Jayakarta

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper HT

Bike Setup:   Fox100RLC forks--Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset--XTR M970 group set--Ritchey WCS bars and stem--Panaracer tubeless tires

Submitted by Billy Coagulate a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Strengths:    Geometry/looks.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are quite heavy and would expect better cassette and perhaps XT kit if I'd paid the retail price ($2200 in the UK!)

Bottom Line:
Beautiful riding bike with excellent geometry and frame but the stock bike is too expensive and the bars/stem need changed out straightaway unless your a devout racer/speed-freak. I went for a 100mm stem (110mm stock) and 640mm risers (580mm flatbar stock) and swapped the wheels for a spare pair, and the bike is now top notch all round. Would have liked better kit than deore brakes and LX shifters/cranks and the cassette is a heavy HG50 type. Surely for the money they could fit XT cranks and brakes? Anyway, the ride more than makes up for it and the frame has some nice detailing and certainly looks the part in gloss red/white. A good frame for upgrading as the stock parts are all heavy (post, stem, cass, etc.)

Purchased At:   Online Auction

Similar Products Used:   Marin IFT 06, Rockhopper 07.

Bike Setup:   Stock apart from FSA saddle, stem and carbon riser bars. Mavic 317 rims on LX hubs, XT cassette.

Submitted by Ben Walker a Cross Country Rider from Launceston, Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    Its light and durable good for climbing. It has a good strong frame

Weaknesses:    The stock bars are too straight for my liking

Bottom Line:
It's a good bike good for climbing with a strong frame

Favorite Trail:   Kate Reed

Purchased At:   Of the internet

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   Stock apart fom Rock Shox Dukes

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Claremont, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, strong frame with great geometry and fit. Very nice component group and I love the integrated shifters.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I could take issue with was the seat. The Scott stock race seat was very comfortable but had too much flex and squeaked to the point of madeness

Bottom Line:
I rode several bikes before deciding on the Scott Scale 40. The Gary Fisher, Rocky Mountain, Trek and others were nice but but the Scott offered the best set-up for the money and was far and away the most comfortable bike out of all the I rode. If your in the market for a new bike I would make sure you test drive a Scott before you speed your money.

Purchased At:   The Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Rocky Mountain, Gary Fisher.

Bike Setup:   Stock with changes made to the handlebars, added a Easton carbon riser bar in lue of the stock Scott flat bar. New seat, Bontrager team race.

Submitted by julio biker a Racer from lomas

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Strengths:    geometry

Weaknesses:    weight, a bit porky 1.6 kilos

Bottom Line:
This review is for the red colored 07 scale 40 frame, 7005 aluminium. I got this frame for free because i race for a local Scott team, on the components i cant say anything because i swapped components to the new frame, I can only comment that they are much lighter, so my bike is at least 2 kilos lighter than the stock scale 40.
The bike looks slick, that red is very racy, gets attention, so in graphics and esthetics, great.
The geometry has surprised me very positively, it´s fast, stiff, it´s low with noticable sloping and more vertical angles, so it´s snappy and quick, and at the same time stable because of the thick aluminium tubes. The rear "box" design translates energy very well.
I always suffered from back pain, my last bike was a titanium ht, still my back hurt, and for some reason with the scales geomtry I have adapted great and my back dont hurt anymore. I suppose the stans tubless helps in that department.
My only complain is weight, the frame is a bit porky, with my previous old school titanium frame, my bike was 9.80 kilos, i thought it would be lighter with the scale and now is 10.3 kilos, so thats like 500grams extra, i don´t know where they came from, the frame plus the long cable housings i suppose, anyway I don´t mind at all considering how good this bike fits me, for the record i use a 17.5 frame with a short stem 7.5mm
And it´s not a cheap frame or 800 bucks retail, this is a finely crafted, technologically advanced aluminum frame.
Now i am saving for the Carbon fiber Scale, maybe as my next xmas present, as it´s my dream bike, my teammates use it and that´s something else!!!!
4 chilis because of the weight. there are much lighter aluminum frames out there.

Favorite Trail:   singletrack