Scott Scale 10 XC Hardtail

4.81/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 21.3 lbs MSRP : $4499.99

The new Scale frame combine lightness and comfort due to the innovative carbon construction. World Champion 2009 Nino Schurter has a brand new race weapon. The Carbon Experts took the lightest bike on earth and made it lighter, and better. A totally redesigned frame featuring IMP3, tapered head tube, SDS engineered compliant stays and press fit bottom bracket maximum power transfer. Take the shortcut to the podium and ride the Scale.

• Frame: Scale carbon, HMF-Net fibres
  • Fork: FOX 32 F100 RL
  • Group set: SRAM XO
  • Brakes: Avid XO carbon disc
  • Wheels: DT Swiss XR10

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by DoggieDave a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2011

Strengths:    Light, agile, fast, inspires confidence

Weaknesses:    tyres

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 2011 Scale 10 - SRAM X0 2x10 group set, Fox 100 RL fork, DT Swiss XR10 wheels. I've owned the bike for over 6 months now and ridden over 1500kms on it, mainly on single track/cross country in the hills around Perth (think lots of loose pea gravel). Just completed the Karri Cup 100km challenge last weekend too.

This bike is screamingly fast, climbs like a mountain goat and gives you (too much) confidence to push it a little bit further downhill. The shock dampening system seems to work too - it feels plush - almost like an alloy frame at times - but with the stiffness of a carbon frame. I like the fork lockout system they use - it's intuitive and simple to lock in and release. The 2x10 SRAM X0 drivetrain is great - I haven't found a hill yet where I've needed a gear that wasn't there and I'll take the weight advantage and fewer components as a bonus.

The 2011 paint scheme attracts plenty of attention too - it's bling - so if you prefer your bike a little more "subdued" try Cube instead.

I've found myself swapping my trusty Masi roadie with the Scott several times lately for the ride to work.

I ride with a smile all day...except for the following:
    1. Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres are great if you want to go fast in a straight line. They are awful when it comes to anything else, especially in loose gravel/sand.
    2. DT Swiss rims are light and agile, but the rim size/profile makes fixing punctures a nightmare - think 45mins, two people and a couple of busted tyre levers EVERY time.
    So, I swapped out the Rocket Rons with some tubeless Maxxis and all is great now.
    3. Selle Italia SLR Team Edition saddle. Maybe it's just me but I find this seat to be hard and unforgiving, especially for longer day rides. Will look for a replacement when i get the cash - any suggestions???

If you are an experienced regular rider who is currently riding on some good, mid-priced gear and you want to take your cross country/long day trips/single day events to a new level, this could be the bike for you.

I'll give it 5 chilis for the ride and 4 for the value - it is a big down payment but you do get a lotta bike - check for deals.

Happy riding folks and hope this review helps. I check my responses occasionally, so if you want to ask a question feel free.

Favorite Trail:   Turner's Hill

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Avanti

Bike Setup:   Stock except for tyres - replaced the Schwalbe Rocket Rons for tubeless Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 (front) and Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 (rear) and added Ay-Up lights

Submitted by Ricksom a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Smooth
    Carves Turns
    Climbs
    Did I mention Fast!

Weaknesses:    Stiff and light frame means very bouncy over rock gardens and washboard.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is as good as it gets. If you like edgy and agile hardtails that maneuver through anything, especially swooping and somewhat technical single-track, this bike is the one. It's 20lbs of weight get it quickly to the top of anything, and the precision steering gets you through any tricky situations. A thorough bred racing bike that is also relatively comfortable to ride.
    Save a ton by buying the stock factory bike setup. Scott has picked great components for this bike, so don't waste your money.

Out of owning 6 mountain bikes, this bike is the best for all out speed and agility!

Favorite Trail:   3 Stage

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Vertex, Titus RacerX

Bike Setup:   Stock setup for 2010 model.

Submitted by spartan034 a Racer from Dahlonega

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    Aggressive Geometry, 2.2lbs in medium, remarkable smooth ride, stiff when out of the saddle, responsive. sexy beyond all reason.

Weaknesses:    Too nice, I'm scared to crash it.
    Strange seatpost size (34.9) , but large seatpost look good.

Bottom Line:
    As someone else said, run, dont walk or drive, run to your lbs, get this bike.

Similar Products Used:   None, no product compares.

Bike Setup:   XX cranks, xt dual control brakes/shifters, xtr derailluers, carbon bars, seatpost, thompson stem, Dirty flea hubs, ztr olympic rims, nobby nic tires, egg beaters.
    weight: 21 pounds.

Submitted by doghead a Racer from SARATOGA,CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light Weight, Steering Precision, Solid Feel, Very Smooth Hardtail Ride, aggressive, but predictable responsive handling

Weaknesses:    None So Far

Bottom Line:
    Even with adjustable seat post & 2.1 Kendas, just 20lbs in Large!
    Unless you ride in areas with very rocky terrain, & or many very sharp edged ruts-bumps this bike will shake the dual suspension(100mm)monkey off your back. It out handles, climbs, corners, while giving unbelievable steering precision, that NO dual sup, can match (I mean any 100mm).
    Great XC racer, & for most areas a really fun-fast trail bike.
    Built up from a slightly used frame & almost new ebay bits for just ~$2,500, including a new Magura 100sl fork (nice light-stiff fork).

Favorite Trail:   Quicksilver

Purchased At:   ebay, & other retail

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Sette, Intense

Bike Setup:   all XTR, ZTR-XTR, Next 26" bar, Ritchey WC stem, Joplin 3" seat post, Kendas: 2.1's, Small block frnt, Neva-DTC rear, Magura Durin SL fork

Submitted by doublezero a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Strong,,light weight,,drop gorgeous bike,,race geometry frame

Weaknesses:    NONE PERIOD

Bottom Line:
    Go hurry don't walk run to your dealer and get this light weight sub 20lbs bike before it runs out of stock and you will get what you pay for..

Similar Products Used:   Orbea..Specialized..

Bike Setup:   Race set-up

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale AZ USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    I love this bike, in Arizona high desert riding I can go about anywhere I please. It is great for climbing and making quick technical adjustments.

Weaknesses:    tires tires and tires, I just changed to Kenda Short Block 8's and I cannot believe the improvement in the ride, I ride fast, I can take turns much faster and it is a smooth ride.

Bottom Line:
    For Ralf in Sweden, try using some of that slim junk in your tubless tires, it sure works out here in the desert, no flats

Purchased At:   bicycle showcase

Similar Products Used:   Bridgestone MB Zip, GT Avalanche, Specialized FSR Comp Pro,

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Tires and grips, running Scram XO in the rear, Fox's 80mm Float fork,

Submitted by Ralf Woodlund a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2007

Strengths:    Light,stiff fast, good frame geometry. It handles really well.

Weaknesses:    Like someone else mentioned the crap Scott UST tires,fixed front derailer. The price allthough I bought last years model and received aload of discount,

Bottom Line:
    I am really impressed, it climbs, it is responsive, light fast, the only problem is me beacause of the nature of the bike I am attacking everything and my average pulse is telling me I will be knackered in an hour. I have my first race next week and cant wait, I am really confident when I am training in the woods with this ride and I have climbed tough trails that I had not succeeded with my past bikes. Now for the negative stuff,
    there isnt that much but the Scott tires really are crap rear tire was leaking air from day one tried refitting ect did not help. They are sluggish and dont grip too good on the roots and stones. Lastly if anyone reads this far the front deraileur is fixed you cant move the deraileur up or down thus when the chain is on middle sprocket and on high rear gears the chain rubs/wears. I guess it is beacause of the carbon frame,if anyone knows any different then please let me know. To sum it up if you have the dough and you are looking for a lightweight hillclimber and you love hardtails then this is your bike you wont be disapointed.Beacuse I bought the bike at discount price I feel that I have value, but if I had paid full price then I would have given 4 chilis. Happy riding!!!

Favorite Trail:   Bohusleden

Purchased At:   Cykel Huset

Similar Products Used:   Crescent Ultima,Trek Fuel, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   I have XTR Front and Sram XO rear with Arvid ultimate Juicy discs and of coarse racing Ralf tires with a name like mine!

Submitted by marvin a Cross Country Rider from slovenia, europe

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    Frame: weight, stiffness, geometry.
    FOX F80X - function.

Weaknesses:    Scott UST Tyres!, cheap Scott grips,

Bottom Line:
    After the first few rides the FOX needed service (bust valve), after that it was functioning good.
    Otherwise the bike is OK, except for the Scott tires - which are not heavy, but otherwise crap. After few weeks one of the tires got all bubbly on the running surface and had to be replaced. Just a few weeks later the second tire blew up completely. I'm 160 lb and ride with middle tire pressure, so that could not be the cause. my friend had similar experience, but what pissed me off in this case was the negligence and ignorance from Scott, saying that the cause must had been in mistreating the tire!!
    What can I say - up yours, Scottie!

Bike Setup:   Standard 2006 setup - Fox F80X, X.O., XTR, Avid, DT-Mavic, Ritchey WCS

Submitted by Howard a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2006

Strengths:    Light

Bottom Line:
    This is an update to my previous review.
    I found out that this is a 2005 not a 2006.

Even though I still cannot make it up "THE HILL" I have noticed that on my long 3/4 mile gradual ascent climb, that I am not coughing up a lung, anymore.

Purchased At:   Big Bang

Similar Products Used:   EPIC

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Howard a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2006

Strengths:    Light 21.5 lbs
    Easy to carry and push up hills.

Bottom Line:
    I cannot climb worth a hoot.

I have a pimped out 24lbs EPIC, I cannot climb hills with it.

I just bought this 21.5 lbs Scott Scale 10 and I still cannot climb.

I guess no matter how much money I spend or even if I buy that 17 lbs Italian bike in the magazine, I just cannot climb. I am 49, 210 lbs and climbing is not in the cards for me. I wish it was since the people I ride with wait for me as I push my bike up the hills.

I might as well buy a 40 lb 9" travel bike and have more fun riding down since either way I am pushing these bikes up the hill.

At least the Scott Scale 10 is easier to push up hills and I can even carry it up the hills.

Purchased At:   Big Bang

Similar Products Used:   EPIC S-WORKS

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by lucas a Racer from north texas

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    Fast, responsive, precise. Those are just a few words to describe this bike.

Weaknesses:    none, for a hardtail.

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden and raced a lot of different bicycles, and can honestly say, this is the best hardtail ever!
    If you are a pure singletrack rider you will love this bike. the frame holds the trail extremely well. As you fly around tight trees and turns the bike responds to your thoughts with a hunkered down stable feel, giving you feedback and, leaving a smile on your face. Climbing is stable, light, and supportive, descending is predictable. Through rough rock sections this is no dual suspension but handles better with more shock absorbtion than most hardtails. The bike is also incredibly stiff, in a good way, while being compliant were it needs to be. this bike is like comparing a lexus to a bmw, this is the bmw.
    If you want a light, pure cross country racing bike, give this a look. If you are a free ride, downhill bomber, maybe something else.

Favorite Trail:   cameron park, waco texas

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale scalpels, and hardtails, Kona full suspension and hardtails. Yeti ARC Hardtail.

Bike Setup:   I have Stans, NoTubes ZTR rims to drop even more weight and improve performance, a great product. Also switched out juicy sevens for magura martas. personal preference.

Submitted by Kevin highfield a Racer from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Strengths:    Light. Fast. Light. Fast. Get the picture?

Weaknesses:    None really - it just works so well. Expensive, but, you gets what you pays for.

Bottom Line:
    An outstanding bike that felt like I'd ridden it forever the first time I went out. It has cut several minutes of my race times on all but the most technical courses. The carbon frame really makes up for a lot of the hardtail problems on bumpy downhills, but once I get a chance to rip it - I'm gone. It feels like I'm cheating on climbs when I see those suckers with all that rear suspension ballast. I can't wait to see how she goes with the NoTube tires and I'm sub-20lbs. This baby's for those who want to haul their rear ends, not pamper them with squidgy rear suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Any one that's dry

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper HT & FSR's, in a previous existence

Bike Setup:   Standard, Scale 10, except rims exchanged for NoTube ZTR's and Oury grips. Still using the Scott tires - about to switch to NoTube TheCrows.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from North Tustin, CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2006

Strengths:    Where do I start? I really like this bike! It is light, awesome looking, climbs great, and turns on a dime. Components are awesome( Scram ), This frame is what makes this bike!! Solid light and responsive.

Weaknesses:    NONE, well wish is was cheaper!

Bottom Line:
    This is a follow up from my first review right after I got the bike. Since then I have put about 300 miles on it. This is the first bike I have had Scram components. WOW, what a difference over the Shimano stuff. The absolute best disc brakes I have ever used, no rubbing or uneven wear on pads The Fox fork works great, no problems with it.

It had been awhile since I had ridden a hard tail when I got this bike. I like this one. On just about every ride up or down it has been very comfortable to ride. The very ruff down hills can kick your butt, but I think that's what happens on any hardtail. Reminds me how good the suspension on my Blur works. This thing climbs like no other I have ridden. When i got the bike it had a 120mm stem a bit to long for me, changed it to a 100mm, much better on my back.

I was not too sure about the Scott tires at first. Now with some miles on them, I like them. The tubeless tires area great. Not one flat, yet!

The question is, who should buy this bike? If you race or just like to climb hallin butt get this bike. If you want a bike for weekend rides and are looking for a bike with comfort, I would say don't get this bike, get a full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Back Alley bikes

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur, Schwinn Moab 2

Bike Setup:   As seen on Scott's web page

Submitted by Teo Guerrero a Cross Country Rider from Pacoima

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Strengths:    Very light weight, Great acceleration, Very stiff yet supple, Great looks

Weaknesses:    Since this is a light cross-country bike it is a little sketchy on technical singletrack. Then again it could be that I am no used to a hardtail anymore. We’ll see with a few more rides.

Bottom Line:
    I bought a Scale 30 and took off all the parts only keeping the frame and headset. Built it up with the above parts and ended up with a 19.6 lb climbing machine.
    I had read all the rave reviews but did not expect to be this satisfied with my purchase. This is probably one of the best climbing bikes ever produced. I’m not sure if it’s the light weight or the stiffness of the frame but climbing is effortless on this bike. Accelerating and getting up to speed is a breeze and requires very little effort. Mountain biking should not be this easy. Even though this is such a stiff frame it incredibly supple. Before this I rode a Trek Fuel but I only notice the lack of rear suspension on the really rocky, rough stuff. The carbon frame does a great job of absorbing the road vibration while still giving a feeling of being attached to the road. I’m absolutely in love with this bike. Get it, it will make you a faster rider. And it gets a lot of complements too. By the way, I know this is a Scale 30 frame, but since the 30 frame is identical to the 10 and the parts that I put on it are more like those of a 10 or Limited I reviewed it as a 10.

Favorite Trail:   Virgin River Rim, UT