Scott Aspect 55 XC Hardtail

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

The Aspect line is light, efficient, and engineered with hydro-formed alloy tubes and comfortable geometry to allow entry level cyclists to maximize their mountain bike experience.

Submitted by DaRider a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Strengths:    The frame is the thing I bought it for, as well as a platform to put better parts on. If you can handle to extra weight (compared to my uncles Giant XTCs) then the small frame is nimble enough to jump, rockhop and get over the hill.

Weaknesses:    The rims are bad, the front derailleur is okay if you can tune it with the quick adjustor on the shifters ( I upgraded to alivio) and the bars/stem/seatpost is something I've replaced or going to.

Bottom Line:
The bike is good, if thats how much you want to pay for it. Maybe not an XC championship bike, but it will get the job done well. It can handle jumps as well since the frames tubing is strong and durable. My first serious XC MTB, I'm not going to replace it soon.

A chainstay protector is a MUST!

Favorite Trail:   SJ

Purchased At:   BikeForce

Similar Products Used:   Test rode some Giant XTCs and Giant Talon

Bike Setup:   Avid Juicy 3, Shimano Alivio shifters, Shimano rear wheelset, shimano clipless SPD pedals, Truvativ Hussefelt stem and bars, maxxis crossmark tyres. Removed all reflectors.

Submitted by SpinCycle a Weekend Warrior from PacNW

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    Looks really good, nice paint. Seems to be a very well balanced package, everything has functioned as it should. Shifts well if not a bit noisy but smooth. No derailleur or shifter issues, that's huge! Nothing worse than poor shifting. Front fork has been a definite "OK".

Weaknesses:    Nothing broken yet but the wheel set is kinda questionable but we will see.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for trail riding on the weekends. It has done that so far very well, some of the trails around me can be brutal on equipment so for the money this has been a great bike. I would have expected something to be an issue but so far I haven't even had to mess with cable adjustments.

Favorite Trail:   Long ones..

Submitted by Aharon a Weekend Warrior from Beer - Sheva Israel

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    in my youth i was in the roadbikes scence. after 10 years stopping it's my first mt bike.I have a lot of
enjoyment - the frame is solid and convinient. the gears shifts smothlly. what else do we need?

Weaknesses:    the seat can be better but it's somthing personal. They arnt light (14 kg) but we are not dealling here with pro bikes.

Bottom Line:
superb entry bikes. for the avarge xc and city bikers they are great choice.

Purchased At:   Bike club, Beer Shev

Submitted by slawman a Weekend Warrior from Cottontown Tn

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Strengths:    Im a beginning MTBR and Ive ridden this bike on most of our local trails and I must say it has held up extremely well.
Im 195 pounds, 6 ft tall,and Ive wrecked this bike,jumped this bike (3-4 ft dropoffs)and Ive had no problems whatsoever riding at least once a week.

Bottom Line:
has been a great bike for me , got the wife one also, no probs there either.

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4

Purchased At:   bike pedlar

Bike Setup:   all stock

Submitted by tonymunn a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA. USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2009

Strengths:    The saddle is extremely comfortable. The bike handles well and the rear derailleur shifts precisely.

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur consistantly overshoots the large chainring even after the tuneup. The front dropouts are not level. It is like one leg of the front fork is longer than the other. The pedals

Bottom Line:
I bike commute about 30 miles per day rain shine snow and ice 5-days a week for the past 4 years. The bike is comfortable but, I am dissatisfied with the quality. If the front wheel is fully secured in the dropouts it is not centered and it is impossible to ride without hands to give the arms a break. It requires mounting wheels not fully seated in the dropouts on one side. The front derailleur consistently overshoots 7 out of 10 times. Even after adjustment the front derailleur is a big pain in the butt. On my first commute in to work the chain came off so many times it eventually broke the bash guard off before my 10-mile mark. I live in the Northwest and there are plenty of steep hills that require the shifting between chain ring #2 and #3. It may sound like I am being trivial but that was the reason why I purchased a new bike instead of nursing my 2002 Schwinn through another winter season. I have been riding this bike less than three weeks and one of the pedals has broken. I do appreciate the disc brakes in the wet weather. I am not experienced enough to make the "who should buy or not buy" this bike suggestion. In this Northwest environment I think that I would not buy this bike again.

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Frontier

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by wug a Cross Country Rider from Bucharest

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Very good quality product/price

Weaknesses:    Chain broke after first meter of ride. It was probably setup wrong.

Bottom Line:
Love the frame and gears. Shift pretty quick and quiet.

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   Stadler Regensburg G

Submitted by schmidtwerd a Cross Country Rider from west hartford, ct

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    Purchased it as an entry-level mtb and it's serving that purpose very well. i knew i'd have to throw some money into it but i can take the components i throw on it and put them on my next bike so i'm not worried about it.

Weaknesses:    wheels suck, bent them both terribly already, every mechanic i talk to says they can't fix them, so that's my next purchase, new wheels. also the tires were pretty horrible, they wore down really easily and i just got new tires, maybe 250 miles on the bike. i have a problem getting it into 3rd gear unless i'm going downhill, but getting it tuned up so we'll see if that fixes.

Bottom Line:
i thoroughly enjoy this bike; it's getting me really involved in the mtb scene and i can't wait to get a FS frame and tear some crazy trails up! beginner bike for sure, great if that's what you're looking for.

Purchased At:   EMS

Bike Setup:   aspect 55 with new pedals and new tires

Submitted by SoCal 850 Tuner a Cross Country Rider from Arcadia, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2009

Strengths:    Hubs are almost Shimano XT quality, shifts really quickly and well, the SR suntour XCM takes a punishment.

Weaknesses:    Wheels sucks (bent both really quickly), pedals sucked, Tires were good on pavement or hard pack but hit gravel and you will slide, and the crank is a lame POS

Bottom Line:
Good beginner bike with a couple upgrades it becomes a great XC or freeride bike.