Schwinn Moab LX XC Hardtail

• Front Brake: Shimano New LX V-Brake
  • Rear Brake: Shimano New LX V-Brake

Submitted by Reuben a Downhiller from Rolla

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Strengths:    I bought this bike brand new and it is a 1999 Schwinn Moab 2. It came with all LX components (fr/rear derailer, cranks, shifters). I really thought the build was sweet...for the price. It came with a Titec cockpit Avid V-brakes and levers...decent Mavic rims...pretty cool

Weaknesses:    The fork that it came with was a RockShok Judy C...it wasnt the best for soaking up little bumps...and it was kinda soft...on the plus side it still works 8yrs later and is still very bouncy. The Titec stem is pretty long, makes the bike handle and feel more different than other bikes.

Bottom Line:
Pretty good bike...I am suprised at how well it has lasted. I'd recommend it...if you get a good deal. There are so many bikes to choose from and I just want them all!

Favorite Trail:   Missouri has some decent ones

Purchased At:   A1 Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I own a Trek Bruiser, and a Garyfisher Mullet also

Bike Setup:   I used it stock up until 2 yrs ago...then most of the components started crapping out...now I have it set up as a single-speed...with a surly singulator. I am still using the stock wheels, brakes, fork, bars and such. Works awesome! Frame is squeeky now...but it is pretty old..and I used to drop off stuff on it (not what it is intended for) until I got my Trek Bruiser

Submitted by Slatts a Weekend Warrior from Toowoomba, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2006

Strengths:    Well specced bike. LX running gear is outstanding. Gears shift well. Very lightweight but strong bike (25lbs with disc brakes & heavier tyres & tubes). Finish looks a treat. Saddle is quite comfy. I have an enormous bottom.

Weaknesses:    Fork is a little light for my size, but I'm working on losing weight so it shouldn't be an issue. Need a shock pump. The flat pedal inserts for the SPD's are okay if you're only on the road, but who wants to do that with a bike like this?

Bottom Line:
What a fantastic bike. Climbs over everything. Now that I'm used to the larger frame, I am so pleased with its performance. The LX brakes are surprisingly very good for V-brakes. After having disc brakes I was reluctant to go back, but these stoppers are very good. Good entry level bike for racing, which is what I'll be using it for next year.

Favorite Trail:   Jubilee

Purchased At:   Rebel Sport, Toowoomba

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Mesa GSD - also a great bike. 17" frame a bit small for my size but very well put together.

Bike Setup:   Bike is a 21" frame - great for my 6'4" frame. Switched the brakes & wheels on my Mesa (I wanted the disc brakes & it was the only way to do it.) Sigma computer, Cateye LED lights front & rear. Flat pedals until I can afford the right shoes for the SPD pedals it came with. Will be changing to the WTB Epic Wolf tyres it came with just as soon as I can get some tubes with Presta valves for the old tyres so I can swap them onto the Ritchey rims.

Submitted by Stuart McKenzie from Oxford

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight. Generally good build quality and excellent bar/stem/saddle. Stiff and confidence-inspiring fork although a lock-out feature is sorely missed. Grippy Kevlar tires although they are a bit "draggy".

Weaknesses:    Wheelset is truly terrible and _required_ an immediate upgrade. Rear hub felt like it used treacle instead of grease and judging by the noises it emitted I'd not be surprised if it actually did, although it was an odd colour so maybe it was some sort of fruit preserve? In addition, although a small niggle, the Schwinn "Jagwire" cabling system left alot to be desired and Im not a personal fan of dual-control shifting/braking.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is...the ONLY parts to the bike I'm not intending to swap are the frame, mechs seatpost and saddle, stem and headset. The LX v-brake set has not got the "feel" that I'm used to, the cranks are too short at 170mm, the cassette is part of the wheelset, the riser bar has too little rise for 80mm forks and too much for 100mm, the wheels are heavy, flexy and unreliable. I'm not overly impressed because on paper, this bike should be a stunner. Instead its a bit of a bummer. Go for an equivalently priced Orange if you're a racer or a Trek if you're an all-day rider.

Purchased At:   Bonthrone Bikes

Similar Products Used:   '93 Trek 7000, '96 Orange Evo

Bike Setup:   Stock but I've swapped the rear wheel for a Hope/Mavic build, the forks for 100mm Marzocchis, and the riser bar for a flat one.

Submitted by Alisdair ball a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2006

Strengths:    very quick bike, shoots up hills like nothing else. it glues to the trails! it is very hard to get the bike into the air (even when bunny hopping) which is quite a good thing, racing thoroughbread. and i am very impressed with the lx groupset shifts excellently even in the muddy stuff

Weaknesses:    anything past 45 degrees and your over the top! (although normall) everything else is great!

Bottom Line:
is an amazing bike and would recommend it to anyone, has great built potential and makes a very good privaterr race maching on a budget also incredibaly light, mines 25lb with the above spec the only thing holding the weight down another lb is the wheels

Favorite Trail:   any