Schwinn Mesa Series XC Hardtail

3.46/5 (13 Reviews)

Available exclusively at Schwinn Signature independent bike shops. Schwinn MTB trail aluminum frame and SR Suntour XCT V3 suspension fork for rugged durability and comfort. Shimano Acera/Tourney components with 24-speed drivetrain for reliable shifting; Schwinn mechanical disc brakes for extra stopping power. Schwinn S2 MTB ergonomic saddle and MTB grips to smooth out the bumps.

Submitted by Wouter a Weekend Warrior from South Africa

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    Nice frame, nice riding position, well priced, disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Drive train, seat colour

Bottom Line:
Over all it's not a bad bike, obviously did'nt know much about mountain bikes and set ups so bought this bike because it looked ok and dealer recommended it. I will spend some money in upgrading it. If I did it all over again I would have spent more nd got a "already perfect" bike ... maybe again a Scwinn but this time the Mesa Comp / Elite / Morb. Otherwise it's serving me well.

Favorite Trail:   Emperors Trial (muddy)

Purchased At:   Pro Cycles

Bike Setup:   Needs tweaks and upgrades to make it comfortable

Submitted by kRuM a Weekend Warrior from Alabama, USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    It's a cheap bike with disc brakes

Weaknesses:    It is a cheaply made bike

Bottom Line:
The one I demoed had disc. The bike is tbh a Wal-Mart special. Will not last any amount of time on a real trail. For a little more money you can get a much better bike from Trek, Fisher, or Specialized. That being said it is not imo a mountain bike. If it was said to be a hybrid it would be a fine bike but as a mountain bike = fail. I cannot recommend this to anyone that wants to get into mountain bikeing.

Favorite Trail:   Tom Bevill

Similar Products Used:   None that baddly made (own a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc)

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Sierra a Weekend Warrior from Upper Valley, NH

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    Frame geometry: slightly compact

Weaknesses:    Every component on this bike is junk (fix and repair daily or replaced), very heavy frame and fork

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new for $200. If you are riding around town occasionally, this bike is fine (but a road/touring bike would be better). If you've never been on a mtb bike and might not love it, this bike might get you started. If you're looking for a beginners mtb bike that you can upgrade as you progress (what I was looking for) don't buy this bike. Save your pennies and buy something respectable, you'll thank me later. The components on this bike will only last for a couple of decent trail rides; excessive stress on the weak materials (or common mtb biking stress) will destroy this bike. The frame, with the additional gussets that some reviewers think are important for this tanks rigidity, is very heavy (what would you expect for $200). You can find a comparable Schwinn frame at your local Walmart and if you're a student riding it to class, it will probably last you through graduation. You get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F1000

Bike Setup:   I've replaced every part of the drivetrain and need a new bar/stem combo (for better fit). I haven't shelled out the cash for new wheels, but I'm sure I will sometime in the next year.

Submitted by Dan Bifield a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2007

Strengths:    This bike is Great,everything works great,light,very easy to ride.Cool new Blue color paint for 2007.

Weaknesses:    None. I cant find anything I don't like.

Bottom Line:
Wife and me got New 2007 Schwinn Mesa without disk breaks.

I did the research on alot of bikes and this one kept coming out on top all the time. All the stuff is top noch on the bike and works great.It is very easy to ride.

Buy the new 2007 Mesa and you will be totally happy.

Dan

Purchased At:   Lee's Bike Shop, Hollywood FL.

Similar Products Used:   I have had several mountain bikes in the past but this is the best.

Submitted by Nathaniel a Cross Country Rider from Geelong, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    frame is almost bomb proof
value for money

Weaknesses:    rims, pedals, SR suntour bits, entire drive train, seat

Bottom Line:
as soon as i saw this bike the thing that got my attention was the heavily gusseted frame, and it's as strong as it looks!
i ride this bike almost everywhere (except downhill)
within 2 hours of purchasing it however, i bucked the rear wheel so bad that the bike was unrideable (thankfully i had a 12 month service warranty) but my biggest gripe is the forks, they have a mind of their own, plush one day, almost fully rigid the next.
i plan to upgrade them to a set of rock shox judys and i eventually managed to wipe out the entire rear drive train and taco'd the rear wheel as well. after i replaced the broken parts i found the middle chain ring was worn and was riveted to the crank set. so that is getting upgraded to shimano deore. i also plan to add disc brakes
i recommend this bike to anyone looking for a bike that can take a fair amount of abuse providing they are willing to upgrade the forks, i believe the 05 model has double wall rims, but i dunno how good they are.
one more thing. the seat is unsuitable for long distance riding

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   Rebel sport

Similar Products Used:   giant boulder SE 03, a couple of crappy dual suspension bikes

Bike Setup:   shimano alvio rear derailleur, alex DM18 rims with deore hubs, specialized crossroads EX rear tyre. everything else is stock but not for long

Submitted by Frederick van Greunen a Cross Country Rider from Windhoek,Namibia,AFRICA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2006

Strengths:    Best value for money, high standover, upgradeable. Doesn't look as cheap as competitor bikes

Weaknesses:    Comes with Stupid fork XC-60 suntour ripp-off,Rims bend, Tyres noisy on tarmac and pedals too sharp- destroys your shins/calves in a fall. But mostly stupid fork.

Bottom Line:
Great for starting out, this bike can go anywhere the yuppies go with their duallies, It won't break,bend etc.
I got new components from another bike with a broken frame.
Otherwise I wouldn't really spend money on upgrades.Maybe just a new fork and double walled rims.
But the standover clearance is very cool, the ride is rigid, sometimes on a steep downhill it leans too far forward but I move my butt in behind the seat above the rear tyre and just try to keep it in a straight line all the way down.
The 100mm Judies on the front make a HUGE difference and compliments the small frame very well by even sucking up backwheel bumps through cantilever moment.
I have embarressed a few riders on club rides with this mesa, money can't buy great climbing skills.
Once even put slicks on and killed a few roadbikes in a cyle classic, afterwards they just look at your bike and shake their heads in disbelief.
If you ride this bike stock don't go over sidewalks or big rocks as the rims bend easily, I bought my girlfriend one and she rides it around town and on gravel roads no problem.
Buy this bike If you are keen to start MTB and learn to ride trails properly before getting an aim and shoot dual suspension. And if you pay little for a bike you are more keen to push it and ride it hard and mean than you would on an expensive dual susp.
Overall great value - Mine was R2300, thats almost nothing in american money.

Favorite Trail:   Klapperkop Pretoria

Purchased At:   Brouwer Broers PTA

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3900, Giant Boulder, Raleigh RM 3.

Bike Setup:   I put on Rockshoxx J3, Alex19 rims, Jones Ac,Deore hubs,front and rear deraileur 27 spd,shifters,3 compound brake pads and spd's- uhm basically just kept the frame. 14.2kg

Submitted by Daniel Elps a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2005

Strengths:    Good frame and brakes.

Weaknesses:    Fork is junk, it richocets off of everthing even small roots. Shifting is slow and imprecise.

Bottom Line:
Good for a begineer looking to ride slowly through the park with family. Racers, this is not your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Beatty Park

Purchased At:   International Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Tasajara disc

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Cyclepro Velocitor tires.

Submitted by Simon a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, A.C.T., Australia

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, well gusseted frame. Decent V-brakes (the type that pivot on themselves and not on the frame). Overall decent components.

Weaknesses:    Harsh fork and I guess the cheaper gear as well.

Bottom Line:
I used to hit the trails with a Schwinn Frontier GS (a recreational HT)... which wasn't really holding up to the beating I was giving it (...because it wasn't designed for it). I'd still call myself a novice rider, but I know a lot about the sport thanks to some serious MTB friends. I'm a student who doesn't have a whole lot of cash, and this was well within my budget. I've taken this bike down some pretty rough stuff and everything has held up really well (i also do post-ride maintainence). Once I get my skills up and the money saved, I'll definitely go out and buy a better bike (maybe a Moab!) but I wouldn't reccommend upgrading this bike- save the money instead, trade it in, and you'll be better off. But in the mean time, I still finish every ride with a huge grin!

Favorite Trail:   Majura Pines

Purchased At:   Rebel Sport

Bike Setup:   Just put some Shimano M647's on.

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Livonia, MI

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, fast flickable bike. Stiff frame. Excellent beginner bike.

Weaknesses:    Typical low end components, weak fork, cheap crankset, low end derailleurs, ect.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for beginners. If your just getting into the sport and don't want to spend a lot of money this is a great ride.

Favorite Trail:   Island lake, Holdridge

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Deore and XT derailleurs, carbon bar, easton stem, Trek saddle, shimano pedals.

Submitted by Bookster a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2004

Strengths:    The price

Weaknesses:    The low end compenents

Bottom Line:
Bought this after my garage was broken into and my Giant ATX970 dual sus bike was stolen. A big difference in price (this was a lot cheaper, so I wouldn't be as upset if the bike went missing like the last one), but no difference in enjoyment. Like the other reviewers, a lot of the riding on this bike has been on easy stuff ie cycle path, fire trails and such. No real mechanical problems so far, though I do make sure everything is adjusted and lubed pretty regularly. A big plus is that it's gotten me keen to cycle again- that alone is enough of a recommendation! My old giant was a great bike, but it was doin a lot of sitting around. the schwinn has got me out there again. For that, it's a good entry level bike- suited to easy on and off road riding. Extreme stuff, I'd steer clear of, and keep the drivetrain and brakes in good order, and the bike will keep you getting back in the saddle!

Purchased At:   Rebel Sports

Bike Setup:   Standard- added shimano spd pedals and sigma cycle computer

Submitted by Mike Mac a Cross Country Rider from Dayton, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2004

Strengths:    Decent beginner bike for the money. I bought this to help get in shape and hadn't ridden any bike in probably 10 years. I started mainly on paved trails then just recently migrated to MTB trails. I am a bigger guy (6'3"/240lbs) and for the most part is holding up ok. Total I have about 600 miles on the bike, 500 of which are on paved trails.

Weaknesses:    Components are low end and I notice mainly the shifting isn't very smooth compared to higher end bikes no matter how many adjustments.

Bottom Line:
If you are an experienced MTB'er this isn't the bike for you. If you are a beginner or just hit the trails once in a while it'll work. Considering the price paid and my size, it's held up extremely well.

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Bike Setup:   Stock except saddle.

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Glen Burnie, MD

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2004

Strengths:    Price, frame

Weaknesses:    pedals

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to basically ride on paved bike paths but have now ventured off road on easy trails (nothing easier than the North Tract of the Patuxent Wildlife Preserve!) Except for the pedals (screws holding the cage to the body keep coming loose, LocTite notwithstanding) it fills my needs well. Shifts surprisingly well for such cheap derailleurs, and feels solid on the road or the trail. I don't expect to bash around much so it should last a while. I am recovering from two strokes and it is my hope that I outgrow the capabilities of this bike and need something better for more technical riding. Right now I am happy to be able to balance and spin, considering i could not walk in May! Anyway, recommend this bike to anyone planning to take it easy at least at first. The frame seems to be upgrade worthy, but it would probably be cheaper to buy a new bike when that time comes.

Favorite Trail:   Patuxent Wildlife, North Tract