Schwinn Mesa Series XC Hardtail

Available exclusively at Schwinn Signature independent bike shops. Schwinn MTB trail aluminum frame and SR Suntour XCT V3 suspension fork for rugged durability and comfort. Shimano Acera/Tourney components with 24-speed drivetrain for reliable shifting; Schwinn mechanical disc brakes for extra stopping power. Schwinn S2 MTB ergonomic saddle and MTB grips to smooth out the bumps.

Submitted by jedi417 a Weekend Warrior from nixa mo usa

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Strengths:    i love the 19" frame

Weaknesses:    when i jump and land hard it wants to shift or derail the chain

Bottom Line:
i would the bike compleatly if it was single speed factory and i hate that schwinn isnt good anymore it kills me to see them at target and places

Purchased At:   a&b

Similar Products Used:   just an assortment my son rides bmx

Bike Setup:   i took anything extra off i cut off the seat post 4" and cut the frame were the seat post is 1" im bout to put a single speed kit on it i always run 60+psi and alltreain tires

Submitted by Wouter a Weekend Warrior from South Africa

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    Nice frame, nice riding position, well priced, disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Drive train, seat colour

Bottom Line:
Over all it's not a bad bike, obviously did'nt know much about mountain bikes and set ups so bought this bike because it looked ok and dealer recommended it. I will spend some money in upgrading it. If I did it all over again I would have spent more nd got a "already perfect" bike ... maybe again a Scwinn but this time the Mesa Comp / Elite / Morb. Otherwise it's serving me well.

Favorite Trail:   Emperors Trial (muddy)

Purchased At:   Pro Cycles

Bike Setup:   Needs tweaks and upgrades to make it comfortable

Submitted by Gonzalo Rodriguez a Cross Country Rider from Caracas, Df, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, construction quality, super solid, frame, components, brakes, fork, looks like a much expensive bike

Weaknesses:    small geometry for it's size, hard saddle, crappy pedals

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'1' and 215 lbs and this 19" frame bike feels a bit small for me but it moves like a little toy! it has great handling, feels very lightweight, it might get kind of heavy if you don't check the pressure on the tires, around 45 psi for me is the perfect pressure and it rides like a dream, it accelerates very fast, you'll never feel intimidated by this bike on the trails, the fork has the right amount of pressure for my weight and it's easily adjustable, brakes work great and they wont fade under hard braking or loose any tension at all, shifters are also great, I have riden this bike for about 6 months and 50 miles per week on rain, trails, and mostly street and I have not complains, it's a very solid reliable bike, you won't find any bike of this kind of quality at this price, go for it!!

Purchased At:   private dealer

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi 2500dsx expert, huffy blades

Bike Setup:   2006 19" frame with XCP suntour 75mm fork, shimano alivio rear derraliur, formula hubs, hayes mech disc brakes, velociraptor tires, shimano deore rapid shifter trigger, alexis rims antisnake bite, bell led front and rear lights, bell computer, grecco prostatic saddle, wallebro pedals, truvativ isoflow, etc, etc.

Submitted by franco a Cross Country Rider from amamzimtoti

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    gr8 for doing all kinds of stunts and it is a grate beginers bike

Bottom Line:
a realy awsome bike for a 14 year old

Favorite Trail:   pelenduna

Purchased At:   linden cycles

Submitted by bluetrane2028 a Weekend Warrior from Coatesville, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, 9 speed shifting, excellent value

Weaknesses:    Brand now found in Walmart, could be lighter, wish the frame was made in 18 inch. I broke the pedals on the first ride, crappy plastic garbage.

Bottom Line:
I needed a replacement to my Specialized which was unfortunately past the end of its life. This bike has succeeded at that, but I compromised somewhat on frame size. I like an 18 inch mountain frame, they make it in 17 and 19. I went with a 17 and it feels a bit on the twitchy side for my tastes, but that ends up being nice in certain situations. I won't hold the review down on the size issue, but if I find a different frame I might swap the parts over. I have the seatpost at min. insert and then it's just right.

These are not available new in the same component and build quality as mine thanks to the buyout. If you find one in good shape and your old bike is twelve years or so old, go for it. It's "entry level" but the more modern deore parts feel about as good as '96 XTR. The bike won't let you down.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Wolverton's in Templ

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, '96 Specialized Ground Control A1

Bike Setup:   Bone stock except for pedals (clipless).

Submitted by Gavin Miller a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2009

Strengths:    Tough as hell! I have used this bike for ten years, and I have tacoed a couple rims, but otherwise this bike is durable! Not an advanced bike at all, but if you're in the market for something cheap, reliable, and long-lasting, look for one of these.

Bottom Line:
Seriously. This bike is like a steamroller. IT WILL NOT BREAK ON YOU.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by AndrwSwitch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive, relatively light, top tube-routed cables, strong frame

Weaknesses:    Shifting wasn't great, fork blew

Bottom Line:
I talked my parents into getting this for me during college after I sprained my wrist screwing up a landing after a stair set. It was a good enough bike to be fun to ride around on trails and definitely more stable than the hybrid I fell off of, but the shifting was never very good, especially the front derailleur. The RockShox Dart (If I remember correctly) on the front wasn't a very good fork - it was sprung too stiffly for my weight with no external adjustment and there was no damper. It was smoother than what I was used to on the hybrid, but the tire was also significantly fatter.

I found that the geometry worked okay for me for both climbing and descending. I stuck fancy brake levers on it and that was a big improvement to the controls, and putting the mud tire on the back was a pretty good move. I rode some pretty gnarly descents, rock gardens, stairs, etc. without destroying the wheels, although I did have to true them from time to time. It was fun being able to pass yuppies on all my favorite trails but I still wanted their full-suspension bikes.

Sold it to a friend when I stopped mountain biking for a while. He promptly tacoed the front wheel - clearly it was possible. I think he hit a curb going very, very fast, though.

If you find one of these used, they're not a bad bike. If you want it to perform better, a new fork would go a long way. Mine had a 7-speed cassette, and enough standards have changed that it could be difficult to find parts for it or upgrade. Make sure to find out the dropout spacing.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Novara hybrid, Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock 2000 model, but Avid brake levers and a Conti Cross-Country tire on the back

Submitted by kRuM a Weekend Warrior from Alabama, USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    It's a cheap bike with disc brakes

Weaknesses:    It is a cheaply made bike

Bottom Line:
The one I demoed had disc. The bike is tbh a Wal-Mart special. Will not last any amount of time on a real trail. For a little more money you can get a much better bike from Trek, Fisher, or Specialized. That being said it is not imo a mountain bike. If it was said to be a hybrid it would be a fine bike but as a mountain bike = fail. I cannot recommend this to anyone that wants to get into mountain bikeing.

Favorite Trail:   Tom Bevill

Similar Products Used:   None that baddly made (own a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc)

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by erpapja a Cross Country Rider from Tirana, Albania

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    Maneuverable, good Geometry ( down sloping top tube ), Great braking power, Strong wheels.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, saddle not comfy for long rides, brakes will need adjustments from time to time, basic XC fork, Acera FD.

Bottom Line:
The bike feels a bit heavy ( it is indeed, weighting about 34 lbs for the 19' size model ) but maneuverable. It looks pretty beefy thus somehow justifying the weight. There is no info from Schwinn whether the frame is double butted or not ( to not consider triple butted ). However the mixture of the aluminum is 7000 series. The frame feels strong !
As an XC bike, the stem is long and quite good. So are the handlebars and the grips.
The Hayes MX-2 mech. disk brakes that come with it offer good braking power even in wet conditions. BUT, after 1 month the outer pad kept rubbing the rotor due to dirt collected in the magnet cylinder that keeps it in place. The dirt had pushed the cylinder hence the pad sticked out more than it should. You have to disassemble and clean the pads to fix this. Noise rarely comes from the fairly sized 6' rotors. The lever that Hayes claims a " 1 finger " lever is better operated with 2 fingers.
The Suntour XCM Fork is a basic XC fork not meant for harsh rides. It has an option to adjust the rebound which works.
The front derailleur does the job but could be better, while the rear Deore derailleur is quite good and responds fast paired with the Alivio trigger shifters ! ( do not forget to lube the cables from time to time ).
The WTB sx24 wheels have taken plenty of hits but still they are in great shape and do not need truing yet ! Tires offer great ride as they stick to the terrain quite well.
Do not forget to buy a chainstay protector since the chain keeps hitting the frame making any possible deep scratches.

I think the bike is great for the money you pay. The frame is upgradeable and can take some abuse!

Purchased At:   Outside US, Skopje,

Similar Products Used:   Avalanche 3.0

Bike Setup:   Stock, XCM 100 mm fork, Acera FD, Deore RD, Alivio Trigger Shifters, Truvativ IsoFlow Cranks, Hayes Mx-2 Mechanical Disc brakes, WTB SX24 Wheelset, WTB Velociraptor 2.1 Tires

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Dublin,CA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    This is the 2007 model in blue on sale at Performance, durable, great looks, great frame, components are great for this price range. The Protek brakes work excellent in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    None for this price range. Components are not the best but for $200 you can't beat this price.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money. You can't get this quality for $200. I don't think the fork will last in extreme conditions but for this price you can easily afford a better one.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Seems like most everything out there over the years.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn trail specific aluminum frame, Sram X-4 shifters, road 26" tires, carbon riser bar, SR fork. Mostly original.

Submitted by Joe a Downhiller from Osan AB, South Korea

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2007

Strengths:    I can not damage this frame. After a year of some pretty hard spills, paint is the only thing missing. I bought this bike for a commuter to work and weekend XC ride, then caught the downhill bug. This is not a downhill bike by all means but I've put it threw hell and it still rides like new. I looked everywhere for a bike with disc brakes and this was the best deal I could find.

Weaknesses:    I have replaced most everything due to wearing out. My first ride the derailluer hanger broke off.(easy to replace) Shock is garbage if your riding any trails. I had to adjust the brakes quite often.(upgrade if your doing any high speed trails) Shifters took a year to wear out.(very sloppy) Seat is not comfortable at all. Stock grips need to be swapped out

Bottom Line:
awesome bike for chill riding, or putting around town. If your getting adventurous you might want to think about upgrading parts and make sure you have a good park tool with you to make adjustments. Can't beat the price for disc brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Brown Mtn.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   I've added parts for my next bike.(Nomad) Fox Talas shock, ODI lock-on grips, Code 5 Hyd. brakes w/ 8 in. rotors. Shimano XT crank, Shimano XTR front/rear derailluer. some no-name platform pedals with screw-in studs

Submitted by Sierra a Weekend Warrior from Upper Valley, NH

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    Frame geometry: slightly compact

Weaknesses:    Every component on this bike is junk (fix and repair daily or replaced), very heavy frame and fork

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new for $200. If you are riding around town occasionally, this bike is fine (but a road/touring bike would be better). If you've never been on a mtb bike and might not love it, this bike might get you started. If you're looking for a beginners mtb bike that you can upgrade as you progress (what I was looking for) don't buy this bike. Save your pennies and buy something respectable, you'll thank me later. The components on this bike will only last for a couple of decent trail rides; excessive stress on the weak materials (or common mtb biking stress) will destroy this bike. The frame, with the additional gussets that some reviewers think are important for this tanks rigidity, is very heavy (what would you expect for $200). You can find a comparable Schwinn frame at your local Walmart and if you're a student riding it to class, it will probably last you through graduation. You get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F1000

Bike Setup:   I've replaced every part of the drivetrain and need a new bar/stem combo (for better fit). I haven't shelled out the cash for new wheels, but I'm sure I will sometime in the next year.

Submitted by Joseph Miller a Weekend Warrior from Downers Grove, Il USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Strong frame and rims. Solid bike.

Weaknesses:    Pedals and front fork

Bottom Line:
I am 6 foot 3 and weight about 250 pounds. I have had no problems with this bike whatsoever. Except for a occasional popping sound this bike suits me just fine. It is a 19 inch frame but the way it is designed my wife can also use it. I recommend this bike to all. Ride it every weekend for about 15 miles a day. Tires are a bit noisy but grip the trail just fine. I ride the salt creek trail which is paved. Mine is the 2005 Mesa GSD. Disk brakes stop on a dime.

Favorite Trail:   Brookfield Zoo Trail

Purchased At:   Harbor Country Bike

Similar Products Used:   K-mart Wal-mart

Bike Setup:   Crankbrothers pedals, 50 50

Submitted by Woodrow a Cross Country Rider from Buckley

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    This bike has been extremely durable. I’ve put over 600 miles on this bike in the short time I’ve had it and I haven’t had any problems. I ride some very tough terrain (rocks, sand, roots, uphill, downhill, etc.) and this bike hasn’t failed me yet. Factor in the cost and it’s a phenomenal bike.

Weaknesses:    Climbing. I think the geometry is such that it hinders the climbing ability. The bike is compact which makes climbing more difficult. (According to my more experience riding buddies)

Bottom Line:
Exellent bike for the considering the price. I've been able to keep pace with more experienced riders on this bike and haven't had any problems at all. I'm at a point where I will probably spend a little more money for a higher end bike due to the rough and hilly terrain that we ride (as apposed to upgrading components). I'll keep this bike in the garage for a back up for sure. If you're not riding on extremely rough terrain but want something more rugged than what Walmart has to offer, this bike is for you.

Favorite Trail:   North country

Purchased At:   MC Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Nothing comparable.

Bike Setup:   Off the shelf. I may switch to clipless pedals due to the terrain that I ride. The stock pedals would be fine for less technical trails. In addition I’ve hear bad thinks about the Manitou 6 fork which I may upgrade. Mine hasn’t given me a reason to yet.

Submitted by Jason Jowers a Cross Country Rider from Bluff Park, AL USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    This is a very good value of a bike. I was actually in the market and gave myself a budget of $750. When I started comparing components I found that I could get this bike for $400. Then I started looking for the best deal I could find on this bike.....new from eBay for $250 is a crazy good deal. I jumped all over it and stopped shopping immediately.

Weaknesses:    I have not found one.

Bottom Line:
I know I got a good deal on this bike. I commute at least two days a week (usually 3) to work and back 15 miles. It is a mixture of street, trail, and side walk/curb. I also have done Oak Mountains' 18 and 21 miles loops several times without issue. I ride with others that have Specialized and GT bikes. I have also ridden their bikes and I have to say I like mine better. They have a little better components Deore LX stuff but nothing great. I don't konw if you can find a Specialized for under $600 and for a entry level bike I like mine better.

BTW, I trashed that Target Schwinn bike in six months of this same type riding. My Mesa GSD is still showing only normal signs of wear.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Purchased At:   eBay new from Harbor Country and Bike

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn S-25 (Target junk), Iron Horse (i don't remember the model)

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore (for the shifters, Hubs, brake levers, Front and Rear Derailleurs.....Hayes Disk Brakes (very nice)

Marshall Mesa Sunset Series (xpost)

Marhsall Mesa south of Boulder is one of my favorite spots for a not-too-easy, not-too-hard outing, especially if I have time to get up to the High Plains Trail. Post-work rides this summer have provided some inspiring sunsets over the Flatirons and Eldorado Canyon. This was my 20th summer in Bould ... Read More »

Marshall Mesa Sunset Series

Marhsall Mesa is one of my favorite spots for a not-too-easy, not-too-hard outing, especially if I have time to get up to the High Plains Trail. Post-work rides this summer have provided some inspiring sunsets over the Flatirons and Eldorado Canyon. Here's one from June. [ATTACH]297891[/ATTA ... Read More »