Schwinn Mesa GSX XC Hardtail

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by bluetrane2028 a Weekend Warrior from Coatesville, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, 9 speed shifting, excellent value

Weaknesses:    Brand now found in Walmart, could be lighter, wish the frame was made in 18 inch. I broke the pedals on the first ride, crappy plastic garbage.

Bottom Line:
I needed a replacement to my Specialized which was unfortunately past the end of its life. This bike has succeeded at that, but I compromised somewhat on frame size. I like an 18 inch mountain frame, they make it in 17 and 19. I went with a 17 and it feels a bit on the twitchy side for my tastes, but that ends up being nice in certain situations. I won't hold the review down on the size issue, but if I find a different frame I might swap the parts over. I have the seatpost at min. insert and then it's just right.

These are not available new in the same component and build quality as mine thanks to the buyout. If you find one in good shape and your old bike is twelve years or so old, go for it. It's "entry level" but the more modern deore parts feel about as good as '96 XTR. The bike won't let you down.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Wolverton's in Templ

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, '96 Specialized Ground Control A1

Bike Setup:   Bone stock except for pedals (clipless).

Submitted by Gavin Miller a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2009

Strengths:    Tough as hell! I have used this bike for ten years, and I have tacoed a couple rims, but otherwise this bike is durable! Not an advanced bike at all, but if you're in the market for something cheap, reliable, and long-lasting, look for one of these.

Bottom Line:
Seriously. This bike is like a steamroller. IT WILL NOT BREAK ON YOU.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by AndrwSwitch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive, relatively light, top tube-routed cables, strong frame

Weaknesses:    Shifting wasn't great, fork blew

Bottom Line:
I talked my parents into getting this for me during college after I sprained my wrist screwing up a landing after a stair set. It was a good enough bike to be fun to ride around on trails and definitely more stable than the hybrid I fell off of, but the shifting was never very good, especially the front derailleur. The RockShox Dart (If I remember correctly) on the front wasn't a very good fork - it was sprung too stiffly for my weight with no external adjustment and there was no damper. It was smoother than what I was used to on the hybrid, but the tire was also significantly fatter.

I found that the geometry worked okay for me for both climbing and descending. I stuck fancy brake levers on it and that was a big improvement to the controls, and putting the mud tire on the back was a pretty good move. I rode some pretty gnarly descents, rock gardens, stairs, etc. without destroying the wheels, although I did have to true them from time to time. It was fun being able to pass yuppies on all my favorite trails but I still wanted their full-suspension bikes.

Sold it to a friend when I stopped mountain biking for a while. He promptly tacoed the front wheel - clearly it was possible. I think he hit a curb going very, very fast, though.

If you find one of these used, they're not a bad bike. If you want it to perform better, a new fork would go a long way. Mine had a 7-speed cassette, and enough standards have changed that it could be difficult to find parts for it or upgrade. Make sure to find out the dropout spacing.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Novara hybrid, Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock 2000 model, but Avid brake levers and a Conti Cross-Country tire on the back

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Lubbock, TX

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Strengths:    I have owned this bike since it was new in 2000. I ride pretty often and I can say that this bike will take abuse! I try not to abuse my toys, but when your riding hardcore @$%! happens. I have worn several sets of tires out on this thing, but it keeps on a truckin. Everything on my bike is stock. I guess if I ever got in to racing, I might would change a few components. Like I said seven years of complete happiness with this bike.

Weaknesses:    Really not a Schwinn weakness, but the shifters have finally started to not shift. I will trade up to XTR's finally.

Bottom Line:
Back in the day I could recommend this bike, but I don't know where Schwinn stands as of today. All I can say is that I have rode this bike pretty hardcore for seven years running with out problems.

Bike Setup:   Flat out stock

Submitted by Daniel Elps a Cross Country Rider from 4026 Racoon Run Ct.

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2005

Strengths:    The Bike is really pretty strong and can take a lot of abuse. The other day I carried to much speed into a 5-foot drop and went straight into a tree, the bike was fine with no visible damage.

Weaknesses:    The brakes, rim brakes are always weak when they get wet so this bike lacks stopping power in muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
The bike is good for a beginneer but I recommend that anyone looking for a good XC bike should set their sights a little bit higher.

Favorite Trail:   Colonel Beatty Park