Schwinn Mesa GSD XC Hardtail

4.17/5 (36 Reviews)

Submitted by jedi417 a Weekend Warrior from nixa mo usa

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Strengths:    i love the 19" frame

Weaknesses:    when i jump and land hard it wants to shift or derail the chain

Bottom Line:
i would the bike compleatly if it was single speed factory and i hate that schwinn isnt good anymore it kills me to see them at target and places

Purchased At:   a&b

Similar Products Used:   just an assortment my son rides bmx

Bike Setup:   i took anything extra off i cut off the seat post 4" and cut the frame were the seat post is 1" im bout to put a single speed kit on it i always run 60+psi and alltreain tires

Submitted by Gonzalo Rodriguez a Cross Country Rider from Caracas, Df, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, construction quality, super solid, frame, components, brakes, fork, looks like a much expensive bike

Weaknesses:    small geometry for it's size, hard saddle, crappy pedals

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'1' and 215 lbs and this 19" frame bike feels a bit small for me but it moves like a little toy! it has great handling, feels very lightweight, it might get kind of heavy if you don't check the pressure on the tires, around 45 psi for me is the perfect pressure and it rides like a dream, it accelerates very fast, you'll never feel intimidated by this bike on the trails, the fork has the right amount of pressure for my weight and it's easily adjustable, brakes work great and they wont fade under hard braking or loose any tension at all, shifters are also great, I have riden this bike for about 6 months and 50 miles per week on rain, trails, and mostly street and I have not complains, it's a very solid reliable bike, you won't find any bike of this kind of quality at this price, go for it!!

Purchased At:   private dealer

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi 2500dsx expert, huffy blades

Bike Setup:   2006 19" frame with XCP suntour 75mm fork, shimano alivio rear derraliur, formula hubs, hayes mech disc brakes, velociraptor tires, shimano deore rapid shifter trigger, alexis rims antisnake bite, bell led front and rear lights, bell computer, grecco prostatic saddle, wallebro pedals, truvativ isoflow, etc, etc.

Submitted by franco a Cross Country Rider from amamzimtoti

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    gr8 for doing all kinds of stunts and it is a grate beginers bike

Bottom Line:
a realy awsome bike for a 14 year old

Favorite Trail:   pelenduna

Purchased At:   linden cycles

Submitted by erpapja a Cross Country Rider from Tirana, Albania

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    Maneuverable, good Geometry ( down sloping top tube ), Great braking power, Strong wheels.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, saddle not comfy for long rides, brakes will need adjustments from time to time, basic XC fork, Acera FD.

Bottom Line:
The bike feels a bit heavy ( it is indeed, weighting about 34 lbs for the 19' size model ) but maneuverable. It looks pretty beefy thus somehow justifying the weight. There is no info from Schwinn whether the frame is double butted or not ( to not consider triple butted ). However the mixture of the aluminum is 7000 series. The frame feels strong !
As an XC bike, the stem is long and quite good. So are the handlebars and the grips.
The Hayes MX-2 mech. disk brakes that come with it offer good braking power even in wet conditions. BUT, after 1 month the outer pad kept rubbing the rotor due to dirt collected in the magnet cylinder that keeps it in place. The dirt had pushed the cylinder hence the pad sticked out more than it should. You have to disassemble and clean the pads to fix this. Noise rarely comes from the fairly sized 6' rotors. The lever that Hayes claims a " 1 finger " lever is better operated with 2 fingers.
The Suntour XCM Fork is a basic XC fork not meant for harsh rides. It has an option to adjust the rebound which works.
The front derailleur does the job but could be better, while the rear Deore derailleur is quite good and responds fast paired with the Alivio trigger shifters ! ( do not forget to lube the cables from time to time ).
The WTB sx24 wheels have taken plenty of hits but still they are in great shape and do not need truing yet ! Tires offer great ride as they stick to the terrain quite well.
Do not forget to buy a chainstay protector since the chain keeps hitting the frame making any possible deep scratches.

I think the bike is great for the money you pay. The frame is upgradeable and can take some abuse!

Purchased At:   Outside US, Skopje,

Similar Products Used:   Avalanche 3.0

Bike Setup:   Stock, XCM 100 mm fork, Acera FD, Deore RD, Alivio Trigger Shifters, Truvativ IsoFlow Cranks, Hayes Mx-2 Mechanical Disc brakes, WTB SX24 Wheelset, WTB Velociraptor 2.1 Tires

Submitted by Joe a Downhiller from Osan AB, South Korea

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2007

Strengths:    I can not damage this frame. After a year of some pretty hard spills, paint is the only thing missing. I bought this bike for a commuter to work and weekend XC ride, then caught the downhill bug. This is not a downhill bike by all means but I've put it threw hell and it still rides like new. I looked everywhere for a bike with disc brakes and this was the best deal I could find.

Weaknesses:    I have replaced most everything due to wearing out. My first ride the derailluer hanger broke off.(easy to replace) Shock is garbage if your riding any trails. I had to adjust the brakes quite often.(upgrade if your doing any high speed trails) Shifters took a year to wear out.(very sloppy) Seat is not comfortable at all. Stock grips need to be swapped out

Bottom Line:
awesome bike for chill riding, or putting around town. If your getting adventurous you might want to think about upgrading parts and make sure you have a good park tool with you to make adjustments. Can't beat the price for disc brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Brown Mtn.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   I've added parts for my next bike.(Nomad) Fox Talas shock, ODI lock-on grips, Code 5 Hyd. brakes w/ 8 in. rotors. Shimano XT crank, Shimano XTR front/rear derailluer. some no-name platform pedals with screw-in studs

Submitted by Joseph Miller a Weekend Warrior from Downers Grove, Il USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Strong frame and rims. Solid bike.

Weaknesses:    Pedals and front fork

Bottom Line:
I am 6 foot 3 and weight about 250 pounds. I have had no problems with this bike whatsoever. Except for a occasional popping sound this bike suits me just fine. It is a 19 inch frame but the way it is designed my wife can also use it. I recommend this bike to all. Ride it every weekend for about 15 miles a day. Tires are a bit noisy but grip the trail just fine. I ride the salt creek trail which is paved. Mine is the 2005 Mesa GSD. Disk brakes stop on a dime.

Favorite Trail:   Brookfield Zoo Trail

Purchased At:   Harbor Country Bike

Similar Products Used:   K-mart Wal-mart

Bike Setup:   Crankbrothers pedals, 50 50

Submitted by Jason Jowers a Cross Country Rider from Bluff Park, AL USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    This is a very good value of a bike. I was actually in the market and gave myself a budget of $750. When I started comparing components I found that I could get this bike for $400. Then I started looking for the best deal I could find on this bike.....new from eBay for $250 is a crazy good deal. I jumped all over it and stopped shopping immediately.

Weaknesses:    I have not found one.

Bottom Line:
I know I got a good deal on this bike. I commute at least two days a week (usually 3) to work and back 15 miles. It is a mixture of street, trail, and side walk/curb. I also have done Oak Mountains' 18 and 21 miles loops several times without issue. I ride with others that have Specialized and GT bikes. I have also ridden their bikes and I have to say I like mine better. They have a little better components Deore LX stuff but nothing great. I don't konw if you can find a Specialized for under $600 and for a entry level bike I like mine better.

BTW, I trashed that Target Schwinn bike in six months of this same type riding. My Mesa GSD is still showing only normal signs of wear.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Purchased At:   eBay new from Harbor Country and Bike

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn S-25 (Target junk), Iron Horse (i don't remember the model)

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore (for the shifters, Hubs, brake levers, Front and Rear Derailleurs.....Hayes Disk Brakes (very nice)

Submitted by Adrian a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2007

Strengths:    Amazing control and point. Very Durable for components that it has. Suprisingly feels a little lighter than it is especially front end.

Weaknesses:    The derailer has a tendency to get a little loose.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike for the price it will give your riding a more rugged feel which i personaly like. The tail end tends to throw you around a little on large bumps and the stock pedals suck. But all in all the bike has GREAT control and it feels like a pretty smooth. works for almost everything it XC pretty well dirt jumps you can even pull some sweet tricks but for downhill not so much

Favorite Trail:   There are way too many to pick one

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   GT avalanche 2.0 disc. Schwin Moab. Trek sumthing or uther one of the midline ones like the 4400. Boulder SE.

Bike Setup:   Judy J1. Sram. Hayes mechanical. thats all i really care about.

Submitted by Mark K a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, South Australia

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2007

Strengths:    Good reliable bike

Weaknesses:    Pedals- one side seized up.

Bottom Line:
I use it nearly everyday, to and from work, about 22km a day. Unlile my previous Huffy that gave up the ghost at 450km, the Mesa is still comfortable and reliable.

Favorite Trail:   still learning

Purchased At:   Rebel Sport, Elizabeth

Similar Products Used:   Huffy

Bike Setup:   As web- RockShox, SRAM and Hayes disc brakes. Looking into clips to replace pedals.

Submitted by david milkiewicz a Racer from troy new york

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2006

Strengths:    awsome beginer bike i used to by wallmart and it lasted a week and broke so i went out and bought this and it is awsome i took it up to a ski mounatin and everything and i go off the biggest jumps and it holds up great. a 5ft clif on a hard tail and it still doesnt brake i mean come on that is awsome.

Weaknesses:    the suspention is bad i blew it out on a jump but it was sort of a big jump for that bike. they have improved it for 2007 so it is all set now.

Bottom Line:
great bike for some one who loves to ride you can do anything with it i rode ski mounatins local trils and road trecks but for that put a different set o tires on.

a profetion downhill racer wrote this so it must be good check out me new dh bike yakuza type r

Favorite Trail:   anywere i can get air and go fast

Purchased At:   dicks (it was on clearance)

Similar Products Used:   iron horse warrior spot

Bike Setup:   17" frame all stock

Submitted by Evan from Adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, great setup outta the box/shop, brakes are brilliant, tyres are great on gravel.

Weaknesses:    Seat too hard for more than about 20mins riding.

Bottom Line:
If you aren't that demanding of your bike, (ie - you don't abuse it), you're gonna love this thing. I got it for AU$480 (US$366 ATM) down from AU$800.

Purchased At:   Rebel Sport, Marion

Bike Setup:   Couple of things aren't the same as the specs on Schwinns website. Forks are Manitou M-Sixes, not Rockshox. Derailleurs are Shimano Alivios, not SRAMs. I've swapped the tyres for Tioga City Slickers - mad fun!

Submitted by Slatts a Weekend Warrior from Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    Frame, wheelset, running gear. Tyres are great, Seat is very comfortable. Grips are nice. Brakes are fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Fork has a little play in it, but that's probably due more to my size than a problem with the fork (I'm 6'3" & 210).
Only an 8 speed cassette. 9 would be nice.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike on special after getting bit by the Mountain biking bug. Still infected after months so I must be terminal. It's only a 17" frame as that was the last one left in the store, but it's held up to daily abuse and pounding from my enormous derierre. Just been a fantastic bike & I'll be holding on to it for some time yet. Just in the process of setting it up for more commuting, but will still okay for the odd trail blast. Schwinn make great bikes for people who don't have a lot of dough but don't want to waste money on a department store piece of junk.

Favorite Trail:   Jubilee Park

Purchased At:   Rebel Sport

Similar Products Used:   Kent POS

Bike Setup:   Stock since new. Just bought a Moab LX & swapped the wheelsets, brake & cassettes over.

Submitted by Olly a Cross Country Rider from Leicestershire, UK

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2006

Strengths:    Nice forks rockshox J1, Hayes diskbrakes (will never go back to V-brakes), shifters are fast and responsive

Weaknesses:    Saddle gets a little uncomfey after long journeys,

Bottom Line:
Fantastic value for money, exellent components for a cheap price. I cycle 3 times a week and had loved riding the mesa gsd. I would strongly recommed for beginners or people on a budget.

Purchased At:   Rutland Cycling Store

Bike Setup:   Gonna upgrade to clipless pedals and mabey chage the saddle

Submitted by Hugo! a Weekend Warrior from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    Bomb proof frame, decent components for the price, strong wheelset.

Weaknesses:    heavy dog, shifters are junk - trashed two in two weeks riding on a bike path, switched to LX shifters and haven't had a problem since, the fork is on the soft side but it is an entry level

Bottom Line:
I wanted a decent entry level bike to make sure I still loved to ride and didn't want to break the bank on something i wouldn't use. Shopped around and decided on this bike and have been really happy with it. It did what it was supposed to do, remind me that I loved riding. I've probably put 1000 miles on it between single track and the road and it hasn't let me down once. The bike and I have taken some great falls and I just hop back on and go. The bike is on the heavy side, but I doubt I'd ever crack this frame even with my big clyde butt on it and that says a lot! If you want a great entry level bike at a decent price this is it.

Purchased At:   Alger Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   dept. store stuff.

Bike Setup:   stock except for shifters and pedals

Submitted by alex a Racer from lankershire

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2006

Strengths:    frame is good havnt had a punture in 2 years

Weaknesses:    well ive been doin some cross country and dirt jumping but nearly all of the things break my forks bent, my saddle bent, my mech hanger fell off, crank bent,pedals are useless nothig is good about it accept for strong rims but still the spokes come loose. ive now fitted mazzarchi m comps 2006 on it much smother ride than those old stiff forks and have spent around £350 doint it up ( around about $500 for u americans) its cost me a bomb i wouldnt reccomend this bike to any one waist of money (thats why im buyin a new bike )

Bottom Line:
absoulately rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! waist of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dont waist ure time on it get another bike !

Schwinn Mesa GSD

Hi, Newbie here - both to this forum and the world of biking as well! I was looking at the Schwinn Mesa GSD from [url]www.thebicycleoutlet.com[/url] Some of the specs on this bike from the vendor are different from the ones listed on Schwinn's website. For Ex. [B]Shwinns Website:[/B] F ... Read More »

Question about the Schwinn mesa GSD from thebicycleoutlet.com

Mesa GSD Tthoughts? $350

[url]http://www.thebicycleoutlet.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=212&category_id=77&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=32[/url] What are the thoughts on this Bike .. I Ordered it.. I think it looks great for the price.. I hear good things about the frame.. we'll ... Read More »

Hardrock Sport Disc VS Mesa GSD

well, im 17 and live literally a 30 second ride from Castlewood state park in MO, and have gotten into riding the trails there as an alternative to running. ive been using my brothers trek 4500 but its a lil too small at 18" (Im 6'1'' and 205#) and Im getting serious enough to need my own bike. Ive ... Read More »

Looking for some street tires for my Mesa GSD

I am starting to train on the street and my 2.1 VelociRaptors are no street tire. I love them for the trails and such but I need a good street tire. I am looking at the Kenda Kwest 100 psi tire. It seems like a fast rolling high psi tire. I am running stock 26 inch TD-17 rims. Can I do better fo ... Read More »