Schwinn Mesa GS XC Hardtail

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Dublin,CA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    This is the 2007 model in blue on sale at Performance, durable, great looks, great frame, components are great for this price range. The Protek brakes work excellent in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    None for this price range. Components are not the best but for $200 you can't beat this price.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money. You can't get this quality for $200. I don't think the fork will last in extreme conditions but for this price you can easily afford a better one.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Seems like most everything out there over the years.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn trail specific aluminum frame, Sram X-4 shifters, road 26" tires, carbon riser bar, SR fork. Mostly original.

Submitted by Woodrow a Cross Country Rider from Buckley

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    This bike has been extremely durable. I’ve put over 600 miles on this bike in the short time I’ve had it and I haven’t had any problems. I ride some very tough terrain (rocks, sand, roots, uphill, downhill, etc.) and this bike hasn’t failed me yet. Factor in the cost and it’s a phenomenal bike.

Weaknesses:    Climbing. I think the geometry is such that it hinders the climbing ability. The bike is compact which makes climbing more difficult. (According to my more experience riding buddies)

Bottom Line:
Exellent bike for the considering the price. I've been able to keep pace with more experienced riders on this bike and haven't had any problems at all. I'm at a point where I will probably spend a little more money for a higher end bike due to the rough and hilly terrain that we ride (as apposed to upgrading components). I'll keep this bike in the garage for a back up for sure. If you're not riding on extremely rough terrain but want something more rugged than what Walmart has to offer, this bike is for you.

Favorite Trail:   North country

Purchased At:   MC Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Nothing comparable.

Bike Setup:   Off the shelf. I may switch to clipless pedals due to the terrain that I ride. The stock pedals would be fine for less technical trails. In addition I’ve hear bad thinks about the Manitou 6 fork which I may upgrade. Mine hasn’t given me a reason to yet.

Submitted by Ryan Watson a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Lewis, WA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2007

Strengths:    Great frame, very light and balanced. Perfect components for entry level trail riding. Perfect for upgrades if wanted but definitely not needed.

Weaknesses:    Havent found one yet

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the cost. The all SRAM drivetrain is unbeatable for this type of bike. If looking for a basic low cost bike that is reliable this is the one you want.

Purchased At:   Performance Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, Fuji Sunfire

Submitted by lait a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Strengths:    Strong frame, nice geometry. Good, well balanced overall performance. SRAM components work flawlessly. Rims seem hard enough so far. 100mm J1 fork is nice it's not freezing, even if it's not lock-out type. Disc brake compatible frame and fork - consider changing from Tektro V-brakes, which seem a little weak on the trail.

Weaknesses:    I rode quite a bit in snow and bad weather, and the rear hub started to make noise for two weeks. Now it's OK, though I haven't done anything with it. Maybe this is a strength. :) The Rockshox J1 fork stiffs up at low temperatures, but this is expected...

Bottom Line:
The '06 Mesa GS is a nice bike for the money. Good for medium trails and getting around. Would recommend for those not seeking carbon with titanium, but for an affordable and reliable bike.

Favorite Trail:   horsetooth

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Gepida, Trek

Bike Setup:   stock except pedals (pdm520)

Submitted by Behzad Akhund a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2006

Strengths:    Best components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Lack of colors. The seat is not the most comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I looked around for a beginner to intermediate bike around the $500 range, and I found this bike to be the best, meaning the best component setup for the price. Plus, I managed to get it for less than $300. Now, getting to the ride, I've ridden on some pretty sketchy trails with this bike and it stood up to the test, because believe me, it's been beaten up pretty bad, and only suffered some cosmetic damage, and it still rides awesome. The only downside, I would say, is that the seat is not the most comfortable. But seeing as I haven't switched it for another in 3 months, it's not really an issue.

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Outlet

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by zenas chao a Weekend Warrior from chicago, il

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2006

Strengths:    components (shocks are freakin awesome)

Weaknesses:    could use better color scheme

Bottom Line:
VERY nice bike for a beginner/intermediate looking for a smooth ride they can use on trails and off-roading. the shocks are unbelievably comfy. Although the frame on the hardrock sport is probably better, the components on the mesa gs '05 made up for it.

Purchased At:   kozy's cyclery

Similar Products Used:   GT avalanche 3.0, schwinn mesa, giant boulder SE, Specialized hardrock sport

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2005

Strengths:    Everything. It is a smooth bike that wont let you down. Has many more features than other I have seen at a comparable price.

Bottom Line:
Great bike that wont let you down.

Purchased At:   new on ebay

Similar Products Used:   simmilar models of trek and specialized.

Submitted by Abster a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Strengths:    Good Shocks, Truvativ cranks, Light strong gussted frame. Integrated headset, comfy seat, good tyres, double wall rims, grippy grips.

Weaknesses:    Stem Paint comes off easy. The paint on the cranks has worn off already after two rides. Needs a chainstay protector. Could improve the look of the fork

Bottom Line:
I looked at alot of similar products around Adelaide around the $500-$600 mark including the GT Avalanche 2.0, Mongoose Rockadile AL, Avanti Atomic, Trek 4100, Giant Rincon, Specialized Hardrock XC. This bike was originally $600 AUS but i managed to pick it up for $300.

Out of all the bikes I looked at, this one had the best cranks all around component setup. It also had a nice support program (Free services for a year) Five year frame warranty. The other bikes I looked at did not have as good angles as this one. Every component on this bike is made from a reputable Company except for the stem, handle bar, seat post.

The tires are really good for climbing, downhilling, and cross country. The brakes are also very responsive.

The Mesa GSD is also very good but I did not need disc brakes. This bike is good for beginners and intermediates, the frame of this bike also is more appropriate for dirt jumping and downhilling than cross country but is still good for an allrounder bike.

Overall this bike rides pretty well, shifts like a dream and it has a snappy acceleration. Definetly best value out of all bikes I looked at.

Favorite Trail:   80 acres Happy Valley, Dingley Dell