Rocky Mountain Vertex XC Hardtail

4.53/5 (36 Reviews)

Submitted by Newbie2011 a Weekend Warrior from Kanata,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    I was invited to attend an 8 hour epic in Mansfield ON. At age 52 I managed 2, 10k laps on a 12 year old Raleigh Tarantula, with original tires I might add. I spent the next 6 weeks on line looking at spec's for MTB's trying to find an good entry level bike that would suit my needs. I quickly realized that you are not buying a bike you are buying a frame. So the vertex with 7005 grade aluminum offered a stiffer frame than most bikes in it price range.

Weaknesses:    I broke the seat fist time out and I will likely upgrade the derailleurs

Bottom Line:
Excellent entry level MTB

Purchased At:   Neilson's Cycles, Br

Similar Products Used:   Did a road test on Kona , Giant , and Marins all in the $1100 to $1300 price range.Rocky Mountain only one with Air suspension.

Bike Setup:   The O.E tires that come with this bike are awesome I love the 29er. Switched the 100mm bar stay to 80mm and lowered it 5 mm still playing with these adjustments as this is all new to me. My nephew has been a big help and has a bunch of spare parts ...like a new seat.

Submitted by rockyuphill a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    Very light, super stiff and responsive frame with great geometry, very well damped frame with zero vibration transmission.

Weaknesses:    None that were an issue for me

Bottom Line:
This was the first production run of the Vertex 70 RSL frame that used the standard modulus carbon. For a couple of years now this has been my favourite bike to ride just because it is so light and nimble and responds to body english and pedal input so well. It is not only great at speed, it's also very good in the low speed technical stuff. The frame is very stiff so you have to hover your butt on the rough stuff, but the slightly heavier carbon is completely damped, so no trail or tire vibration makes it through the seatpost, it feels solid as riding a tree stump. Having very light 1360gm wheels is certainly abig part of the responsiveness, but compared to my previous fave ride, the 2007 scandium Vertex Team, this bike handles in an almost telepathic fashion. The newer 70 RSL uses the same high modulus carbon as the Team so it is bit lighter and a bit more resonant, but not enough to be an annoyance. Combined with a Magura Durin fork, this bike doesn't produce fatigue like aluminium did, and it is even better damped than scandium (but much much stiffer in the rear end).

Favorite Trail:   anything Squamish

Purchased At:   Different Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2000 RMB Vertex, 2007 RMB Vertex Team scandium

Bike Setup:   DT Swiss XRC 330/240S wheels, Magura Durin 100mm fork,Race Face Next cranks, XTR drivetrain and shifters, Magura Marta SL brakes. Weighs in at 19.8 pounds for a large.

Submitted by omnibike a Racer from russia

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    velosiped zaebis

Weaknesses:    velosiped zaebis

Bottom Line:
velosiped zaebis

Favorite Trail:   sokolniki

Similar Products Used:   velosiped zaebis

Bike Setup:   velosiped zaebis

Submitted by marvins2000 a Cross Country Rider from La Paz, BCS, Mexico

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2010

Strengths:    Great frame and fork, great color and easy to ride, light and strong for ride, really good

Weaknesses:    Poor tires traction, poor brakes juice

Bottom Line:
I as using in the road for last 3 months is really good, you fell free and comfortable in the bike riding in any kind of road, is to easy ride and enjoy the roads for the 9 speeds and 3 front. Great components and relly light, good price for great product.

Favorite Trail:   free ride

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar

Submitted by poop a Cross Country Rider from vermilion oh usa

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    very light very fast very strong the best frame ive ever had

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
rides well fast if you can get one for a decent price try it you wont regret it. i dont switch frames every year because i have nothing else to do, the frame has lasted for 8 years riding and wrecking (mostly wrecking) on trails in ak and oh

Purchased At:   bike shop in ak

Similar Products Used:   various other frames from giant gt raleigh

Bike Setup:   i put a bunch of expensive parts on the frame, then cover it with mud

Submitted by swervin a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Light, strong, quick, great component set, nice steering.

Weaknesses:    Tyres

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price - very happy. Agile, light, yet strong - better than expected. Brakes are noisy but function well. Recommended. 4 and a half stars.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow Hill

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes, Palo A

Submitted by smitty0968 a Weekend Warrior from Trophy Club, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    Great price for a hand made bike with hand made rims AND XT components! They top this off with a Fox shock and the same bike with other manufacturers would be way more expensive. The bike shifts well and I like the fork lock out feature. The stock tires are great and the frame design really fits me well. The bike has taken a beating in the first few months and come out great!

Weaknesses:    At this point, I really don't have any.

Bottom Line:
I never thought I'd pay this much for a bike, but you do indeed get what you pay for. After comparing this bike to a Specialized Stumpy, I felt this bike was the better deal. I haven't been disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine Lake

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski Sports

Similar Products Used:   Last bike was a Cannondale, but that was many moons ago.

Bike Setup:   XT rear, LX front and shifters, Fox Shock, RaceFace cranks, Easton seat/post and headset, Disc Brakes, and Mavic rims (signed by the dude who built em)

Submitted by Uberbiker a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, undestructable frame. Beautiful paint job. Bicycle fits very well.

Weaknesses:    Funny squeaky noises sometimes when I pedal, rear derailler skips once in a while (but all this is not rocky mountain's fault, it's shimano's fault!)

Bottom Line:
Very pleased. Was considering a Specialized Rockhopper comp for a few hundred bucks cheaper but glad i went with rocky mountain. Didn't use it much so far but when I do, i'll post a follow up to this

I'll give it a 4 for value since it's pricey and also cuz i'm not happy about the shimano components. Rest is great tho.

Purchased At:   Simon's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Backwoods (1996)

Submitted by skeedeemon a Cross Country Rider from Pemberton

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast and durable. Solid frame. Climbs great. Excellent value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Stock tyres too skinny. Just don't go to wide on the rear as there isn't enough room.

Bottom Line:
Excellent entry level HT, never done any serious MTB'ing until I came to Canada in 05. Has done everything I have asked of it and stood up to some wicked punishment (mainly on account of my crap skills and steep learning curve). After 3 seasons of being thrashed around Whistler/Pemberton and Squamish it is still going strong. Having to replace components (BB, rear wheel) as they are wearing out.

Buying an all mtn dual suspension next (skills gone up a few levels) but I'll keep this for less intense trails.

Favorite Trail:   any single track

Purchased At:   Vancouver

Similar Products Used:   Nil

Bike Setup:   Stock except for upgrading the tyres.

Submitted by Mike204 a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    GREAT FRAME, REALLY LIGHTWEIGHT. GREAT ON AND OFF ROAD.
AFFORDABLE PRICE FOR A GREAT HARDTAIL. CANADIAN BUILT!

Weaknesses:    NONE FOUND YET.

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE KICKS A** FOR AROUND $1000. great for the circuit, trails, or whatever. I didn't care much for the stock EA30 stem, bar, seat post and seat, so I added the EA70 stem, EC70 carbon xc flatbar, Thomson Elite seat post, and Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow saddle. Oh and the Mallet pedals.

Purchased At:   Gords Cycle & Ski

Similar Products Used:   ROCKY MOUNTAIN FLOW 2.0 (STOLEN FROM ME LAST YEAR SO I UPGRADED TO THE VERTEX)

Bike Setup:   MARZOCCHI MX PRO W/ LOCK OUT FRONT FORK 105 mm TRAVEL, FSA HEADSET, EASTON EA70 STEM, EASTON EC70 CARBON XC HANDLEBAR, SHIMANO DEORE HYDRAULIC BRAKES, RACE FACE RIDE XC X-TYPE Cranks & Chainrings & B.B., CRANK BROTHERS MALLET M PEDALS, THOMSON ELITE SEAT POST, SELLE ITALIA FLITE SADDLE, SRAM PC-991 CHAIN, SHIMANO XT GEARING (RR/FR), ALEX DP17 RIMS, IRC MIBRO MARATHON 2.1 TIRES.

Submitted by Mike204 a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    GREAT FRAME, REALLY LIGHTWEIGHT. GREAT ON AND OFF ROAD.
AFFORDABLE PRICE FOR A GREAT HARDTAIL. CANADIAN BUILT!

Weaknesses:    NONE FOUND YET.

Purchased At:   Gords Cycle & Ski

Submitted by Hsean a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2008

Strengths:    Very nice ride, fast on roads, mines one I've yet to see on sites, it's black, not shiny, it comes with a nice rack,also road tires, soft quiet ride.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket, Mines owned I need a new one, hydrolic breaks to, my rear break leaks.

Bottom Line:
Well, the bottom bracket ticks me off and the rear break, but it rides nice so don't mind it

Purchased At:   Boys and girls club

Similar Products Used:   Older rocky mountain bike

Bike Setup:   It was a police bike in mint condition I drive it as I got it.

Submitted by Micky a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Well made bike, great frame, fine Marzzochi MX Pro fork, all around good set of components (except for brakes)

Weaknesses:    The Juicy 3 brakes are just lousy, they squeal, vibrate, and they are fading severely on long declines. I just ordered Formula K18 with high hopes of improvement.

Bottom Line:
This is the 2007 model. It's well made, and I find it very agile and responsive. I've had it now for over 1500 miles of city and trail riding and it's been a great bike so far. Replacing the brakes should make it about as perfect a bike as one can hope for in this price range.

Favorite Trail:   Around Mount Tamalpais