Rocky Mountain Vertex 50 XC Hardtail

Submitted by omnibike a Racer from russia

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    velosiped zaebis

Weaknesses:    velosiped zaebis

Bottom Line:
velosiped zaebis

Favorite Trail:   sokolniki

Similar Products Used:   velosiped zaebis

Bike Setup:   velosiped zaebis

Submitted by smitty0968 a Weekend Warrior from Trophy Club, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    Great price for a hand made bike with hand made rims AND XT components! They top this off with a Fox shock and the same bike with other manufacturers would be way more expensive. The bike shifts well and I like the fork lock out feature. The stock tires are great and the frame design really fits me well. The bike has taken a beating in the first few months and come out great!

Weaknesses:    At this point, I really don't have any.

Bottom Line:
I never thought I'd pay this much for a bike, but you do indeed get what you pay for. After comparing this bike to a Specialized Stumpy, I felt this bike was the better deal. I haven't been disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine Lake

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski Sports

Similar Products Used:   Last bike was a Cannondale, but that was many moons ago.

Bike Setup:   XT rear, LX front and shifters, Fox Shock, RaceFace cranks, Easton seat/post and headset, Disc Brakes, and Mavic rims (signed by the dude who built em)

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2007

Strengths:    Weight, Frame, Fork

Weaknesses:    None so far (if pressed still not sure if I like the eggbeater pedals - but most people do like them)

Bottom Line:
Overall could not get anything better for the money - especially good value because they had last year's model on sale. So far everything has worked good. Still getting used to the pedals and the shifters are different too (but pretty cool once you are used to them). Every time I take the bike out it I am suprised with how easy it is to get over terrain that looks impossible.

Favorite Trail:   Hilton Falls

Purchased At:   Silent Sports

Bike Setup:   Stock (2006)

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Milton

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2005

Strengths:    Frame, components, performance, and ride quality. This thing is a great value.

Weaknesses:    Price, unless you can get it on sale it's kinda expensive. Otherwise, there are no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
This bike is unbeatable, it climbs and descends well, and can take a beating. Being almost 300 pounds and riding 4 days a week, nothing has broken or shown any signs of weakness. Aside from regular cable stretch as things break in, it's perfect! If you want the best, buy this bike.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Price Paid:    $2099.00

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Mississauga

Similar Products Used:   My crappy old mongoose.

Bike Setup:   Stock setup. Shimano, Raceface, and FSA everything.

Submitted by Ian Girard a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2005

Strengths:    ST3 geometry is awesome. Uphill is never a problem and downhill is super smooth

Weaknesses:    I also bent my chain rings to some extent

Bottom Line:
This bike can take it... I ride 365 days a year, snow, ice, mud, clay, whatever. It's held up just over a year now and the only thing that's been replaced is a set of tires and i've streched out a pair of chains.

The only thing that has ever given me any problems what so ever is the Race Face Evolve 44T Chain ring. It seems to bend just after the crank arm, but you can easily adjust the barrel at the shifter to compensate for the slight bend.

I'd recommend this bike to anyone who wants a very reliable entry level race bike. It may be slightly more expensive, but it's more balanced than anything else... you're not just buying a fork and rear derailer.

Favorite Trail:   pottery road

Purchased At:   Duke's

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock, except seat and post

Submitted by Anderson a Cross Country Rider from Burlington

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2005

Strengths:    Climbing, ride, comfort.

Weaknesses:    My front chain ring bent too easily and will have to be replaced.

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2004 Vertex 50 on sale in the fall. It's an awesome bike. The best feature for me is the uphill ride. I'm climbing a lot of roads on the Niagara Escarpment in our area and while you'll never get away from the climb, your effort is maximized. I did a race in the fall (Liberty Squeezer) and it handled so well and the "ride" is awesome. I love this bike and it was well worth saving for.

Favorite Trail:   Waterdown

Purchased At:   Brant Cycle

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Newmarket Ont.

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2004

Strengths:    components, comfort, quality!!

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
The quality of this bike is beyond all others, I have never riden another bike as comfortable as this one. Granted Rocky Mountain does not conserve on weight, but they make up for it in performance. I did opt to change the forks to the Marathon S, for the lock out feature the MX comp air does not have. Although the bike is quite expensive, I do recomend it if money is not a problem, and a quality product is what your looking for.

Favorite Trail:   Ravenshoe forest