Rocky Mountain Vertex 30 XC Hardtail

4.41/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by Newbie2011 a Weekend Warrior from Kanata,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    I was invited to attend an 8 hour epic in Mansfield ON. At age 52 I managed 2, 10k laps on a 12 year old Raleigh Tarantula, with original tires I might add. I spent the next 6 weeks on line looking at spec's for MTB's trying to find an good entry level bike that would suit my needs. I quickly realized that you are not buying a bike you are buying a frame. So the vertex with 7005 grade aluminum offered a stiffer frame than most bikes in it price range.

Weaknesses:    I broke the seat fist time out and I will likely upgrade the derailleurs

Bottom Line:
Excellent entry level MTB

Purchased At:   Neilson's Cycles, Br

Similar Products Used:   Did a road test on Kona , Giant , and Marins all in the $1100 to $1300 price range.Rocky Mountain only one with Air suspension.

Bike Setup:   The O.E tires that come with this bike are awesome I love the 29er. Switched the 100mm bar stay to 80mm and lowered it 5 mm still playing with these adjustments as this is all new to me. My nephew has been a big help and has a bunch of spare parts ...like a new seat.

Submitted by Uberbiker a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, undestructable frame. Beautiful paint job. Bicycle fits very well.

Weaknesses:    Funny squeaky noises sometimes when I pedal, rear derailler skips once in a while (but all this is not rocky mountain's fault, it's shimano's fault!)

Bottom Line:
Very pleased. Was considering a Specialized Rockhopper comp for a few hundred bucks cheaper but glad i went with rocky mountain. Didn't use it much so far but when I do, i'll post a follow up to this

I'll give it a 4 for value since it's pricey and also cuz i'm not happy about the shimano components. Rest is great tho.

Purchased At:   Simon's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Backwoods (1996)

Submitted by skeedeemon a Cross Country Rider from Pemberton

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast and durable. Solid frame. Climbs great. Excellent value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Stock tyres too skinny. Just don't go to wide on the rear as there isn't enough room.

Bottom Line:
Excellent entry level HT, never done any serious MTB'ing until I came to Canada in 05. Has done everything I have asked of it and stood up to some wicked punishment (mainly on account of my crap skills and steep learning curve). After 3 seasons of being thrashed around Whistler/Pemberton and Squamish it is still going strong. Having to replace components (BB, rear wheel) as they are wearing out.

Buying an all mtn dual suspension next (skills gone up a few levels) but I'll keep this for less intense trails.

Favorite Trail:   any single track

Purchased At:   Vancouver

Similar Products Used:   Nil

Bike Setup:   Stock except for upgrading the tyres.

Submitted by Mike204 a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    GREAT FRAME, REALLY LIGHTWEIGHT. GREAT ON AND OFF ROAD.
AFFORDABLE PRICE FOR A GREAT HARDTAIL. CANADIAN BUILT!

Weaknesses:    NONE FOUND YET.

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE KICKS A** FOR AROUND $1000. great for the circuit, trails, or whatever. I didn't care much for the stock EA30 stem, bar, seat post and seat, so I added the EA70 stem, EC70 carbon xc flatbar, Thomson Elite seat post, and Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow saddle. Oh and the Mallet pedals.

Purchased At:   Gords Cycle & Ski

Similar Products Used:   ROCKY MOUNTAIN FLOW 2.0 (STOLEN FROM ME LAST YEAR SO I UPGRADED TO THE VERTEX)

Bike Setup:   MARZOCCHI MX PRO W/ LOCK OUT FRONT FORK 105 mm TRAVEL, FSA HEADSET, EASTON EA70 STEM, EASTON EC70 CARBON XC HANDLEBAR, SHIMANO DEORE HYDRAULIC BRAKES, RACE FACE RIDE XC X-TYPE Cranks & Chainrings & B.B., CRANK BROTHERS MALLET M PEDALS, THOMSON ELITE SEAT POST, SELLE ITALIA FLITE SADDLE, SRAM PC-991 CHAIN, SHIMANO XT GEARING (RR/FR), ALEX DP17 RIMS, IRC MIBRO MARATHON 2.1 TIRES.

Submitted by Mike204 a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    GREAT FRAME, REALLY LIGHTWEIGHT. GREAT ON AND OFF ROAD.
AFFORDABLE PRICE FOR A GREAT HARDTAIL. CANADIAN BUILT!

Weaknesses:    NONE FOUND YET.

Purchased At:   Gords Cycle & Ski

Submitted by Hsean a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2008

Strengths:    Very nice ride, fast on roads, mines one I've yet to see on sites, it's black, not shiny, it comes with a nice rack,also road tires, soft quiet ride.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket, Mines owned I need a new one, hydrolic breaks to, my rear break leaks.

Bottom Line:
Well, the bottom bracket ticks me off and the rear break, but it rides nice so don't mind it

Purchased At:   Boys and girls club

Similar Products Used:   Older rocky mountain bike

Bike Setup:   It was a police bike in mint condition I drive it as I got it.

Submitted by james a Racer from st catharines, ON, CANADA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Strengths:    the frame, light but very stong, the fork great plush feel and also oil dampened

Weaknesses:    the hayes soles! i had a leaky valve on them and couldn't get it fixed myself, i dont like them

Bottom Line:
this is the best hardtail bike for under $1100! great value, i give it 4 chilis becuz of the brakes :(

altho, if u upraded the brakes, this would be a great bike!

Favorite Trail:   alphies

Bike Setup:   stock, w/out clip pedals

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Pickering, On, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Strengths:    The frame is super light and the same as the higher end vertex's, the components are sweet, the bike rides pretty fast and for the occasional downhill the front forks absorb everything and will last forever.

Weaknesses:    The wheel sets could be better, the forks though tough are a bit heavy for racing, the hayes sole have performed alright so far but im just waiting for them to fail, have heard too many horror stories on them

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike but the forks and wheel sets are too heavy for XC racing which is what i want to get into, i would recommend this bike to anyone who wants to get into XC and likes to customize the bike. for the price however you cant go wrong which is why i give the value 5 chilis and overall 4 chilis. my best advise is to know EXACTLY what you want before you buy it and dont take some employees word on things research before you buy.

Purchased At:   Bay Cycle

Similar Products Used:   diamond back sorento

Bike Setup:   xt R derailer, deore F derailer, raceface XC crank, Easton handle bar and stem, alex rims, hayes sole hydro disk

Submitted by Mike Baylin a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2006

Strengths:    Big jump for me up from a (stolen) trek 3700. Have had vertex for 1 week & loving it. '06 model comes with Deore Hydralic ciscs that stop on a dime even when grungy. Marzochi Gran Fondo2 absorbs everything.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Great bike thus far, getting more into trail riding, anyone from the ottawa area with knowledge of trail finding resources please e-mail me. (cannondale shoes=super comfort).

Similar Products Used:   N/a

Bike Setup:   all stock.....May swap out the dual control shifters, trying to adjust to them but having some difficulty

Submitted by josh a Cross Country Rider from new brunswick

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2006

Strengths:    Great frame, feels solid, yet absorbs alot for a hard tail. good price. General component spec great, xt is quite a jump from deore. exr comp fork is fine and light for intermediate xc riding (i run a stiff fork, though)

Weaknesses:    The hayes sole brakes are a monumental pain in the ass. I've had nothing, but heartache. maintenance is a freaking nightmare and as far as durability goes they may aswell be made of rockcandy. I can't say enough bad things about them.
Will be replacing with avid BB5's this season

Bottom Line:
Great ride, great price. I won't be upgrading til I have the money for a Giant Trance. replace the breaks asap. Before you even buy it.

Similar Products Used:   Early 2000's davinci (bought second hand with all decals removed, still have no idea of make or model, lx all around), 2004 specialized rockhopper, spec, save the pedals of course.

Bike Setup:   all spec xt drive train, raceface crank, Hayes (piece of s*#@)sole hydro, shimano pedals, alexrims/irc mythossync, marz exr pro air fork

Submitted by John a Racer from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2005

Strengths:    Solid construction, great geometry and smooth ride. Frame is light and absorbs a great deal of stuff for a HT.
RM says they're 'hand built'; never owned a hand built frame but if ever I do, there's a high bar b/c of this bike.

Weaknesses:    Solid group, but the Hayes Sole EOM brakes have been trouble; lost adjusting plate for brake on rear; still able to adjust but not on the trail; seems after every ride I need to adjust both F & R pads, they seem to loosen up. I will upgrade the brakes soon.
Also, the wheel set it came w/ (Alex DP17) were terrible - had more flats w/ those than i could count. swapped out already...

Bottom Line:
for the money, and despite the brakes and wheel set issues, this is still the best value i could find. a hand built frame (light) quality construction. even though this is the low end of their XC models, its the same frame and if you like to tinker and upgrade (which i do)this is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Vertex 30

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche

Bike Setup:   Stock - w/ exception of pedals (upgraded to EggBeaters)

Submitted by georider a Cross Country Rider from Toronto Canada

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2004

Strengths:    Canadian-made, looks, overall performance, DB specific frame

Weaknesses:    Aluminum frame (only steel is real), wheels, ShimaNO brakes, position of threads in dropout, noise

Bottom Line:
The Vertex is a good all-around-bike with a decent component mix; however, I would like to see nicer hubs (maybe go LX all the way) and Avid brakes, which should not be much more.
I find the bike quite noisy: there's always some ticking sound coming from somewhere... It's not that it can't be fixed, but it's a bit anoying.
In my case the wheels were not well trued and the bike set-up not perfect, though I think that's more a shop issue than a problem with RM itself.
If you are looking for a well made bike with potential to grow, check it out.

Purchased At:   Skiis and Biikes

Similar Products Used:   Liyang, RS bike, Diamondback topanga

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Avid SD brake levers, straight handlebar, Faiv front rack

Submitted by Shawn a Cross Country Rider from Lashburn Sask Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, wheels that stay true no matter what,climb like a goat,the traditional "feel" of a hardtail.

Weaknesses:    still looking, will submit additional review when weaknesses are uncovered.

Bottom Line:
this bike goes faster than I thought it would. the wheels roll incredibly fast,and I have been on some ridiculously steep up and down trails. It is rapidly becoming my second favorite travelling companion, second only to my wife.I have been toying with the idea of entering a few races, and am confident I will be the weak link in any race I enter. If I suck at racing, I will continue to enjoy trailriding this bike. Anyone looking for an excellent value in a bike that can deliver should check out Rocky Mountain.

Favorite Trail:   battle river battleground

Purchased At:   river valley cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona kikapu,Giant iguana,Cannondale jekyll,

Bike Setup:   maxxis mofo xc tires (1.95),deore xt brakes,race face 175mm crank,cane creek bar ends, spd pedals

Submitted by J R a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2004

Strengths:    This bike is just a great overall package. The shock is amazing, it climbs with ease, the geometry is perfect (19.5" for 6'0"), and the components are very competitive with others in its class. Price!!!

Weaknesses:    It seems a little heavy to lift (compared to a Trek 7000), but its not noticable on the trail. Tires could use some meat and the seat isn't very comfortable after a couple of hours.

Bottom Line:
For the money, I couldn't find a better equiped bike in the Ottawa area. On top of that, this bike is amazing on the trail, its fast, responsive, and just feels like you could get over or climb anything! I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an excellent XC bike in this range!

Favorite Trail:   Fire Tower - Gatineau Park

Purchased At:   Tommy and Lefebvre

Similar Products Used:   Giant Xtc2, Kona Cinder Cone, Specialized Stumpjumper, Oryx T-Line 250, Norco Charger, Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Stock, except mine was equiped with LX up front, its supposed to have Deore but I'm not complaining!!!

Submitted by Brian from Eugene, OR USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    Lot of fun on the trails. Smooth ride, easy to shift. Nice light frame, easy to remove the wheel. Disc brakes make braking on trail a breeze.

Weaknesses:    Purchased bike with broken schrader valve on the shock. Copelands didn't want to do anything about but deal with Rocky Mountain. Rocky mountain was shady about returning phone calls to Copelands. Had to bring in store manager to fix the bike. Handle bars were mounted 1/4 inch off. Basically be sure to check the bike over really well before buying, i.e. schrader valve on the shock.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money. Still figuring everything out. Be sure to check it over before buying. You have a lot more power before the sale than after the sale. Beware of slow warranty repair.

Favorite Trail:   Still searching

Purchased At:   Copelands Eugene, OR

Similar Products Used:   Test road Gary Fisher Tassajara, and a couple other bikes by Jamis and Kona.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except swapped out pedals for something that I can wear with Tennis shoes.

08 Vertex 30

Hi, I've been out at some lbs looking for a new mtb to get to move up from my 07 Trek 6000. At the one shop they had a 08 RM Vertex 30 and the price was $1699 cdn and the guy said he would sell with taxes in. After looking on the web this price seems kinda high for an 08, or am I wrong? I am looking ... Read More »

08 Vertex 30 Classifieds

Just listed a 08 Vertex 30 18" Need to make room for the new 08 Element 50 I purchased...Thanks, Ed [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=33792&cat=500[/url]Read More »

650 wheel on a RM Vertex 30 ???

I just read someone put a 650 wheel on a ESTX and it made the bike feel bigger. My Vertex 30 is a 18" frame. I bought a 16'5 and it had to be returned. Even with the 18", the bike still feels too small. I put a 110mm stem on the bike an a Thomson setback seatpost and no help. Will 650 wheels he ... Read More »

Vertex 30 Frame Cracked

Noticed this crack where the top tube meets the seat tube right round the weld on my 06 Vertex 30. I'm in the process of trying to sort out a warranty with distributor. Anyone any experience of these frames cracking? When RM do warranty the frame can they replace the Vertex 30 like for like as I' ... Read More »

Feedback on Rocky Mountain Vertex 30

I'm a newbie rookie rider and have been asking and reading on some bikes to potentially purchase. I walked into one of the LBS in my area. I decided to take a look at the Rocky's - I figured to take one out for a spin... no such luck as they didn't have any in my size... they had a sweet looki ... Read More »