Rocky Mountain Trailhead XC Hardtail

4.33/5 (9 Reviews)

Rocky MountainTrailhead Nothing pedals betterThan a hardtail. With hardtail bikes, you dont needTo worry about "pedal bob" orThat mushy feeling you get from full-suspension bikes. So, how do you make a hardtail frame design better? By using Rocky Mountains ST3 "SlopingTopTube" design,Thats how! Frame: RMB Custom 6061 Double Butted Aluminum ST3 "SlopingTopTube" design creates a stronger frame by distributing stress over a larger area, and makes dismounting easier by having more standover clea

Submitted by bockingp a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent overall bike for a wide variety of recreational purposes. Lightweight, comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for general purpose riding. I don't have racing experience but I have used this bike in a wide range of terrains and it responds very well.

Favorite Trail:   North Bay, Ontario

Purchased At:   Thunder Bay, Ontario

Submitted by cartrembl a Weekend Warrior from Saguenay

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2010

Strengths:    Everything! Good looking bike,components...

Bottom Line:
Very Good bike for the price,good looking,lots of fun!

Favorite Trail:   Rivière Langevin

Purchased At:   Gendron

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn 210 FS

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Daviswebb a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    Components, frame design, wheels, tires

Weaknesses:    Handling, geometry

Bottom Line:
I have had no good experiences with this bike. Which is weird, because I am an old Rocky Mountain fan. I owned Brodie built Tantalus's, 2 of them and rode them long distances on both coasts of Canada in the worst conditions possible. I have a great love for their bikes.

I returned to off road biking after a 10 year hiatus of sea kayaking as my sport, and bought a reasonably priced RM thinking the basis would be there. I am really disappointed. I will try to express why.

The bike just doesnt fit right! I tried different sizes, and saddle and handlebar placements but nothing works. In steep descents into sand I was pitched mercilessly off the bike on my last ride. Long distance approach rides are awful, I am hunched over with most of my weight on my arms. I just want to get off the bike as soon as I ride about 15 minutes with it. THinking it was my fit, I loaned the bike to a friend who rode it for an afternoon. He too, felt he was about to be pitched forward at any time. Simply put, there is not optimal riding position on this bike. The components are okay, but not thrilling if you cant get a good comfortable fit.

I am now stuck with a bike I will have to unload for cheap.

What happened RM? Did you change designers, teams, geometry? Its sad because I was one of your greatest fans, since 1984 when i bought my first filet brazed Tant.

Favorite Trail:   Squamish River Road

Purchased At:   Sporting Life, Toron

Similar Products Used:   Haro Escape

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from MO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Strengths:    Everything. This bike can take anything a first-timer can through at it, and keep going. No problems with any of the components to this point, that can't be blamed on operator error.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for a guy who hadn't rode a bike in over 10 years. I would tell anybody to give it a try.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Cinta a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2005

Strengths:    Great all around bike, handles well on tight turns. I have been riding the bike on a variety of trails in Ontario, Quebec and the US, and it did well on all of them. Good traction uphill, controls well downhill.

Weaknesses:    I have been told that the bike is not designed to do a lot of heavy x-c riding and advised to upgrade the front shocks as they are starting to bend

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price! If you are planning a lot of trail riding I would move up to the Vertex line. My husband rides a Vertex 30 and loves it.

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills

Purchased At:   Skis and Bikes, Toronto

Similar Products Used:   rental bikes, Trek

Bike Setup:   Standard Rocky setup

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2005

Strengths:    Shifts like magic. Every other bike I tried in price range would grind or skip.

Weaknesses:    short for a cross country bike. standover height is good for me but I've had to get a longer handlebar extender.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Solid. I'm probably rougher on it than it was designed for. If I continue to ride I need to move up in price range for front and rear suspension.

Note if you are in Raleigh area: Flythe no longer carries Rocky Mountain bikes.

Purchased At:   Flythe Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Used and still have a 2002 Kona Nunu.

Bike Setup:   Crank brothers clipless pedals. Ritchey 40mm handlebar extender.

Submitted by Jae a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    Frame, Components, Wheels

Weaknesses:    Stem

Bottom Line:
Great value with a solid feel. It reminds me of my Rocky Think Air which a solid bike. Not as light as my other bikes but at this price point I can't complain. Great frame to add/ upgrade parts too. I will be using this as a commuter as well so a pair of slicks and a lower rise stem for the steep climbs will have me flying up the hills. Can't wait to try it on the trails as I have a feeling it will take a lot of abuse. Really couldn't believe I was buying another Rocky as I thought it was way more expensive then the ride suggested.

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor