Rocky Mountain Fusion XC Hardtail

4.16/5 (25 Reviews)

Submitted by wayne a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2013

Strengths:    Larger tires
lite weight frame
hydraulic Brakes

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing bike it is nice and lite, geared perfectly for tackling off road trails and and fast for normal roads.. Very easy to maintain and is a Dream to drive

Purchased At:   Fontains Source for

Submitted by Crackles a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    Frame seems unbreakable, brakes are awesome. Goes anywhere. Looks pretty hot.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this 2009 bike second hand. This is my first mountain bike and while I do not have anything to compare it with I am completely blown away by where this bike can take me. Road, firetrail, singletrack, rocks, roots, nothing stops it. The only thing stopping this bike is my nerve!

Favorite Trail:   Nerang, Qld, Australia

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by Freaky Joe a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good, rides good, very good equipment and very good engineering and design.

Weaknesses:    I don't like the seat.

Bottom Line:
I purchase this bike last year here in Berlin Germany and first reason I buy this bike because I read so much about Rocky Mountain brand in magazines and always wished to own one. My old bike cannot even be compared to my new one. Its so smooth and fast and has amazing brakes. I like so much how it looks and the paint job is amazing, looks a little like the Canada flag, this is a bike from Canada. I take so many pictures of my bike and love it so much. Its very good quality, frame design is excellent and everything about this bike looks and feels high quality. I did not like to seat so much, I change it. I now have it for 1 year and ride it almost everyday to work and for fun on trails. Nothing goes wrong with it, everything works perfect and still rides like new.

Purchased At:   Berlin Germany

Similar Products Used:   Wheeler mountain bike

Bike Setup:   original set up, only change seat.

Submitted by western1alldaway a All Mountain Rider from Victoria,BC

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    It all looks and feels good,zip tie the usual suspects first. That why it is important to read about most of what you buy. Its all about quality for what you can afford.

Weaknesses:    Like I said its still very new. And my friend only took it riding 3 times in the last year in city. So she only has a couple hrs use.

Bottom Line:
I am old enough to remeber when Mnt. Bikes first appeared, i was quick to replace the small & silly no geared BMX. For a monster of a bike back then when everyone was driving there BMX`s it was great and i have been hooked since. I consider myself a bit of hard rider. Anyways i have had alot of monster bikes & always seem to mostly destroy them in a year or two. But this bike seems firm and loose enough to handle whatever you want to do with it. I will write again just as soon as she gets out abit more.Like i have said, i have spent well over $10000 in bikes for myself or loved ones and i certainly know value as i use to be a tool maker. This is my first Rocky Mtn Bk.i will be back

Favorite Trail:   All of dem!

Purchased At:   From friend

Similar Products Used:   I have had GT``s, older norco, & an over priced on sale Haro X-Treme wich was worse in the end than the old norco.I have purchased a Rocky before for someone dear to me who fell in love with the thing on first sight. though she had to wait for christmas to get it it was all i heard.

Bike Setup:   On and off road, more road though

Submitted by Rocky_Urban a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2011

Strengths:    Drop dead gorgeous looks, high quality frame, good components, amazing disc brakes, and its Canadian eh!

Weaknesses:    It could be a little lighter, but so can every other bike out there!

Bottom Line:
This bike was on sale, the store was getting rid of their 2011 line up to make room for new arrivals so I got this bike for an incredible price! What first attracted me to this bike was the way it looked. Beautiful powder coated pearl white with metallic red graphics. The components on this bike are very good. Great Maxxis tires, amazing hydraulic disc brakes, full adjustable front suspension with lockout, great looking black rims with black spokes. Rims have eyelets which help with the wheels rigidity. Shimano Deore components. I always thought 27 speeds was too much but now I see its perfect. Its a fast smooth bike and I just love riding it. Only upgrade I did was a carbon fiber bottle holder and a carbon fiber seat post. The frame geometry is perfect for both hitting the trails and doing long distance cross country rides. I always hoped that one day I would own a Rocky Mountain brand bike and thankfully I finally have one.

Favorite Trail:   Glen Eden

Purchased At:   Skiis and Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Norco Team 6, Diamond Back Response, Devinci Cameleon

Bike Setup:   Standard, only changed seat post with a carbon fiber post.

Submitted by Rick Beam a Weekend Warrior from Keene NH

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2011

Strengths:    Great looking bike, strong frame. It climbs well and shifts very smooth. Very comfortable on the trails.

Weaknesses:    Pedals are a hazard but an easy upgrade. The cable clip system used by Rocky Mountain is not good. They will pop off and you will need to use zip ties to keep rear brake cable in it's place. Again, not a deal breaker.

Bottom Line:
Great deal for the money spent. I road other bikes in this price range and they all appeared cheap in comparrison. Yes you may want to make some upgrades but the good news is, you don't need to. If you are a hard core mountain bike junky, you will probably not be buying this bike. Regardless, you will be able to ride the fusion along side of more serious riders and this bike will respond beautifully.

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Kona, Giant, Felt

Bike Setup:   My bike came w/ Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, I have not had any problems with them, they are quick and responsive. The shock is on the light side but works for me. Riders in the 200 lb. range may bottom out on trails.

Submitted by evadwal a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Strengths:    Great smooth ride, great handling, durable, looks great. Brakes are amazing. Good value (remember it's Canadian money).

Weaknesses:    I use the bike as a commuter bike sometimes and I sometimes wish I had a lockout for the shocks when I'm on a good road (which is rare in Winnipeg). I had some problems with the front disc brake rubbing and making a squeaking noise. Shifters sometimes randomly slip, but I think that's been fixed since my last tuneup.

Bottom Line:
I love, love, love my bike. It's not perfect, and I often second-guess getting the more-manoeverable 18 inch frame when I have a sore back after long commutes, but it's a dream on the trail. And hey, that's what a mountain bike is for!

Favorite Trail:   Birds Hill Park

Purchased At:   Gord's Ski and Bike

Similar Products Used:   This is my first good bike.

Submitted by Darby88 a Cross Country Rider from Burke

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome frame! Great geometry, sturdy hardtail. Rocky Mountain really doesn't make a bad product and this is no exception. Good company to deal with should frame break as well. Awesome Cross country bike.

Weaknesses:    Rocky's lowest priced bike almost, so components needed upgrading for the most part for ambitious riders.

Bottom Line:
Great frame good entry level components, awesome company.

Favorite Trail:   Kindom

Purchased At:   Krums

Bike Setup:   Rocky Fusion frame, Rolf dolomite disc wheels, LX Dual Control shifters/brakes deraillers, Icon graphite series cranks, stems, posts, rock shox sid,

Submitted by TimidTrail a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent shifters and derailleurs (for price paid). Shimano disc brakes are decent. Sturdy frame with strong crankshaft. Big tires; double-walled, stainless steel rims are a plus. Fork is better than on the bike I previously owned--more responsive, sturdier.

Weaknesses:    In my limited experience with it so far, the 2008 Fusion is not a particularly FAST bike. My last bike had 24 speeds and this one has 27, so maybe I still have to find my perfect speed setting for flat run surfaces. Also, maybe once it's had its first tune-up, some of the "new-bike" kinks will get worked out of it. The brakes were a little soft when I first got it, but they are getting better and better.

Bottom Line:
I bought last year's model of this bike on sale (down from about $1k) to replace my 2007 Brodie Tempyst that was stolen out from under my nose early in May. A new Fusion retails for about $300 CAD more than the Tempyst; in my opinion, it's not worth the extra cash if you're looking for an entry level mountain bike that you intend to use for commuting and light trail riding. The Tempyst was a much faster bike; it was beefier; it had better brakes.

That said, the Fusion does shift like a dream and most of its components either match or outdo the Tempyst's. I don't ride the life out of my bikes (I'm a 5'3" female rider weighing under 150 lbs), so I don't really look for a lot except a lightweight frame, good shifting, good brakes, and speed.

At the sale price, this was a great buy, but I don't think I'd have paid full price for it.

Favorite Trail:   Minnesing Trail, Algonquin

Purchased At:   Cyclepath (price in

Similar Products Used:   2007 Brodie Tempyst.

Bike Setup:   Typical: off-the-rack set-up at time of purchase. I thought about upgrading the brakes to Avid BB5s or 7s, but was told to give the Shimanos a chance. So far, so good.

Submitted by harry2110 a Cross Country Rider from new albany, IN

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Strengths:    light, strong frame, good stock components

Weaknesses:    pedals

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike for commuting I've ridden this bike on long trips(30+ miles) and it was fast enough to keep up with some roadies. It also climbs very well. The only downfall is the vp pedals that come with it if you slip off them or bash one into your shin it will bruise and draw blood.

Bike Setup:   stock except for shimano 520s

Submitted by dana109 a Weekend Warrior from Alberta

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2008

Strengths:    It is a solid frame for the price. The components may not be amazing, but they are decent for the price range (Deore front deraileur and LX in the rear).

Weaknesses:    Shocks could be better
The pedals leave a lot to be desired and if your feet ever slip off the pedals they will leave you missing a good bit of skin.

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry level bike. I used to mountain bike a few years back before my Rockhopper got stolen and i was in school and too poor to buy another one for 3 yeras. I'm just getting back into the sport and so far i find this to be an amazing bike to get back into the sport with. It is also a great bike for those on a tight budget.

Lets be clear, this is not a hardcore mountainbike for downhill racing, jumping or dropping 4' on. But for someone who wants to both ride to work, and then hit some singletrack and some technical trails with roots on the weekend, then this is a great bike for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Terwilliger Park

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle Edm

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   I've only had it a few months and it is still stock. I'm planning on getting clipless pedals soon.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2008

Strengths:    Inexpensive and handles well in twisty single track.

Weaknesses:    The brakes are crap (I upgraded to Juicy 3), the cranks get stripped and the riding position is way to upright. Also the Marrizochi MZ Comps bob a lot upon acceleration.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a good price, it corners well and for a first time mountain biker I would recommend it. You will need to upgrade the brakes because the Shimano Deore that come stock with it wear out within four months. I would buy Rocky Mountain again but not this bike.

Purchased At:   Arrowsmith Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Upgraded brakes to Juicy 3's, new cranks and Panaracer Fire XCPro tires.

Submitted by elliot pieters a Weekend Warrior from vancouver, b.c., canada

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    easy to replace grips because they come off!

Weaknesses:    front fork
font wheel
rear weel
bottom bracket
seat
grips
etc.

Bottom Line:
I am 200 lbs so this may not apply to you but...
the front fork has no rebound and for me bottoms out constantly causing shoulder pain
my entire front wheel broke
same with the back
my bottom bracket snapped going off a 3' drop (jagged piece stuck out. 24 stitches)
seat bars were thin... bent
grips fell off after a while

good commuter bike but watch those curbs
not good if you're a kid looking for fun

Favorite Trail:   griffin

Purchased At:   simons bikes

Similar Products Used:   brody omega (brocken too)

Bike Setup:   the remains of a fusion

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from MA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2007

Strengths:    A good overall entry-level bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    The seat and grips are hard and uncomfortable. Get rid of the stock pedals, dangerous! The bike doesn't climb as well as others previously use. The mechanical disc brakes need continuous adjustment. I would recommend replacing the stock tires, I had problems with traction (in the rear) and tread wear.

Bottom Line:
I would definetely recommend this bike to beginners or people returning to the mtn. bike scene - such as myself. The price is right for a quality frame and average components. I do like shocks on the softer side, so the MZ Comp was a good fit. I put this bike through some serious terrain (a lot of downhill) and took a few severe spills expecting to carry the bike the rest of the way. Yet, it's never left me stranded and is as durable as anything I've used to date. With a few upgrades, you'll have yourself a nice bike to use for many years.

Purchased At:   EMS

Similar Products Used:   Fuji and Specialized hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Basically stock with the addition of crank brothers mallet pedals and few extra add-ons.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Strengths:    Solid components and easy riding made this bike perfect for myself. I'd been out of the loop for a couple years, and we decided on the Fusion over a Kona or a DeVinci.

Weaknesses:    The front shock is a little soft, and the mechanical discs gave me a little grief. The brakes just need adjustments.

Bottom Line:
Overall, a damn fine bike. Just don't expect it to be as forgiving on the trails when a full-suspension bike would be better.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere without Nails or Glass sticking out of the ground.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle in Edmonton

Bike Setup:   All stock. Just make sure you don't let the pedals take chunks out of your calf. I have cuts that are 4 weeks old and still scabbed over.

X-Fusion Vengence Woes

I've owned my X-Fusion Vengence HLR DLA fork for over nine months now, and I'm still having trouble figuring out the adjustments. With a low enough air pressure (lower then recommended for my riding weight), and with the low-speed compression damping almost all the way open, the fork behavies wel ... Read More »

Fox RP23 vs X-Fusion 02 HLR.. any opinions

Seen some good reviews on the Fox unit but not a lot on the X-Fusion (not including their old HL model), so I was wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of riding both and is willing to share an opinion.. Cheers..Read More »

X-Fusion O2 - require a shim?

Hey folks, Running an X-Fusion O2 on a Mojo SL and am curious about trying a 650b setup. Tons of info on Mojo conversions using Fox, but I can't find anything on doing this with the X-Fusion rear shock. Has anyone tried this?Read More »

Spring for my X-fusion Vector RC

I currently have a 400 lbs spring rate on my DH Aurum. I didn't weight myself with all gear but I'm pretty sure I can top 210lbs easily. I rode with it for a while now and to get a decent sag on the rear shock, I need to preload it to the max (per x-fusion recommendations, about 6 turns). Still, I f ... Read More »

X-Fusion Vector Air HLR

I quick update on the Vector air shock I am running in my trail bike. Simply put the best shock, air or coil, out there I have tried. (NOTE: have not tried the DB Air) I have run Manitou Swinger, Marz Air, Fox RP2, RP23, RP23 Tuned, RS Monarch Plus RC3 and finally now am running the Vector ... Read More »