Raleigh Talus XC Hardtail

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by The Grouch

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    This bike climbs like a beast.

Weaknesses:    The brakes are kind squeaky at times.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for my son, and it has improved his riding skills. Very solid bike I would buy another Raleigh bike , maybe one for my wife.

Submitted by waterski4life1 a Weekend Warrior from Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, the drive-train, and rims

Weaknesses:    Brakes

Bottom Line:
Let's start with the bad, the brakes are only marginally better than my previous box store's linear pull brakes. The back brakes are fine, but too much on them and you skid, so of course you go to the front, the brakes just will not grab on. My first ride, we rode some off-road and some on-road, while on-road we found the biggest hill we could, now it wasn't long but it was steep, I pulled on the front brakes until I felt as though if I pulled any harder they would lock, there isn't much in between. First things first, replaces the brakes.

Go onto the good, I can easily lift this bike onto my shoulder and carry it up over large obstacles and today I carried it 5 feet across a 2x4 over a stream, I only weigh 110 lbs but it is of no problem to me.

The pedal efficiency is amazing on this bike, when in 1-1 I have almost 2 rotations to my friend's one rotation, this relieves so much stress from my legs, making the climbs much more enjoyable.

The rims, I haven't rode it enough to have anything happen yet, but they are red, so what more could you want!

Should you buy this bike? I would say this is a great entry level bike, I tested out Hardrock sport disc and a Hardrock 29er disc, but with the deal I got on this bike, $290 off, and my parents paying for most of it (I only had to pay $150) I enjoyed this bike more, the brakes were better on the other two but this bike just felt better riding it.

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury Mountain

Purchased At:   Center Street Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cheapie box-store bike, Top Level L.L. Bean Bike (top level schwinn)

Bike Setup:   Standard Raleigh Talus 8.0

Submitted by dgw2jr a Cross Country Rider from Davenport, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2011

Strengths:    Handles very well, a lot of confidence in corners, powerful disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Rims accept 2.1" tires or smaller only, plastic pedals

Bottom Line:
I tested out several bikes at every LBS in my area and this one stood out the most. It fit perfectly, not too heavy, decent component selection, and it felt like I was riding on rails. I tested out a few after testing this one just to be sure it was the one. I bought it and quickly took it out to my favorite trail just down the road from me. I clocked my fastest average speed ever! I leaned harder into corners than I ever have. I flew down hills at speeds previously unimaginable. I attacked obstacles that I used to avoid every time. My previous bike, 19.5" 2005 Trek 4300, was too large for me and I couldn't keep the dang thing under control. You really can't beat the Raleigh Talus 4.0 for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Sunderbruch Park

Purchased At:   Healthy Habits

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, 4500, 3900, Giant Revel 1, Giant Anthem X 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock plus aluminum pedals

Submitted by kickback2 a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2011

Strengths:    Light since I live up stairs. Great ride after you get use to the gear setup.

Weaknesses:    I think tires are ok. When you use to other products. Its hard to sometimes liet that go. I might change out the tires for a more stick of a feel to the pavement.Feels like it doesnt grip well to the road. The plastic pedals has to go.

Bottom Line:
I look around for a new mtn bike. My last bike lasted 12 yrs. I test rode many bikes ( hardrock, trek and GT) I like GT but wanted to get something different then I had before. Thats where I pick the Raleigh. At first I thought I made a mistake. But After a month of riding. Came to think it was the right choice I did make. I like the color, the way it handles. Its been street riding weekend or to and from work. I would say check out this bike. I am like you on a budget. But I am hopping this bikes last me alteast 10 yrs of great riding.

Favorite Trail:   JPL

Purchased At:   Reseda Bike in CA

Similar Products Used:   GT outpost Trail with upgrades over the 12 yrs I had the bike. Shocks, Seat, etc.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Talus 8.0

Submitted by DownOnTheUpside a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2011

Strengths:    Frame
Brakes
Wheelset

Weaknesses:    Fork

Bottom Line:
The value is great for $550 you get a great frame and a great wheelset. I rode alot this year and none of the compenents had any problems. I think is a great bike to start on in a sense that the frame most important pieces are there for you. The suntour fork is trash, but i would rather them put on a that than a dart 1 or 2 and raise the price. The drivetrain is ok, but i would pgrade hte front derailuer soon, and ride the rest until they wear out. Its better than my friends GT Avalance 2.0, and the Airbourne Spectre. The rocky Mountain fusion is 200 more, but is a better equipted bike. For the money, this is a great bike. After a few hundy in upgrades, it can compete with anything in XC.

Favorite Trail:   West Branch

Purchased At:   Outdorr Rec

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche, Airbourne Spectre, Rocky Mountain Fusion

Bike Setup:   2010 Talus 8.0

Submitted by Got2GoFast a Cross Country Rider from Russellville, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2005

Strengths:    Killer component line-up for the price. Can't get into any other bike of that caliber for less than $900. Solid frame. Feels good in tight, fast turns.

Weaknesses:    The fork. That's it really. Too soft for me. I'm about a solid 205 lbs. and I can bottom it out whenever I want to.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. If you're wanting a good all-around recreational bike thats instantly raceworthy at the drop of a hat, then you got it with the Talus. Only suggestion is for anyone who is thinking about buying this bike that is my size, set some extra money aside after buying it to plan on upgrading the fork to something stiffer.

Favorite Trail:   Lookout Mountain Trails (Denver, CO)

Purchased At:   Waldo's Bike Shop--good people

Similar Products Used:   An old GT Timberline FS with just about everything upgraded to LX and XT before it got stolen. Man I loved that bike. Demo'd everything from Giant Rainier's to Fish Tassajara's before settling on this one.

Bike Setup:   everything stock, same as J.L. Garcia's below me

Submitted by J.L. Garcia a Cross Country Rider from Chihuahua

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2004

Strengths:    Good Bike components, good quality & looking frame, light weight, very good price

Weaknesses:    the Fork could be improved

Bottom Line:
I've ride the bike 200 miles and in general the bike is very good specially for that price and if I compare with bikes of the same price, the bike is excellent. My only complain could be the fork that is too soft in when ridding in nice roads and too hard on rocky and bumpy roads. I really recommend this bike for any crsoss contry biker.

Favorite Trail:   Rejon dam trail

Purchased At:   Bici Sur

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper, Trek 6700, Giant Iguana, Haro 4.X

Bike Setup:   Manitiou Axel Elite Fork, Shimano XT Rear derailer, Shimano LX Deore Front derailer, Shimano Deore LX Disc brakes, Truvativ Issis Crank set, WTB tires & Saddle

Submitted by rich bussell a Cross Country Rider from surprise az usa

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2004

Strengths:    Great bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    None yet, but to be determined.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike for the price. The brakes arent the strongest but they may take awhile to break in. Great hardtail bike but not the lightest. It should hold up very well on Arizona's rocky trails.

Favorite Trail:   trail 100

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Wheeler hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock for now.

2013 Talus 3.0 Derailleur Upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my rear derailleur for smoother shifts but am unsure on what to get. Right now I have the stock Shimanos Atlus on it and am looking for a Deore or high upgrade. I see that theres a XT SRS 10spd for fairly cheap but from reading the 10spd would not work on my 7spd shifter + ca ... Read More »

First post! Raleigh talus good deal?

I havent mountain biked in 3 years and my friends have started getting back into it so i thought i would too.I recently found an eBay auction for a 2012 Raleigh talus 29er with X-Fusion Slide RL2 Suspension Fork and new pedals for 450$. Is this a good deal?Read More »

Raleigh Talus Sport vs. Airborne Seeker

[URL="http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-mountain-29-hardtail-talus-talus-29-sport"]Talus Sport[/URL] vs [URL="http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/135-seeker.aspx"]Seeker[/URL] My LBS has the Talus Sport on sale for $590. The Seeker will cost about $1000 after shipping. I'm just getting back in ... Read More »

2009 Fox Talus 32 - 15mm lowers - 140mm

I am looking for these 15mm lowers to replace my QR lowers. I believe lowers from 2009-2012 will work, maybe even 08', 13' ? Let me know if you have anything like this sitting around.Read More »

Raleigh Talus 3.0

What is the low down on this bike its in my budget. i just dont know alot about it i test rode the bike and really liked it but i want to know if anyone has owned the bike and what their goods and bads of the bike are.Read More »