Raleigh Mojave 5.0 XC Hardtail

3.88/5 (16 Reviews)

The Mojave 5.0 wears the lightweight custom butted Aluminum frame Alivio drivetrain, Spinner OS H1 suspension fork, a set of Geax Saguaro Tires, and a sharp graphics package you can pedal anywhere with ease, comfort, and style.

Submitted by Thrr1238 a Racer from Marietta, Ohio United States

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, Lightweight Hydroformed Aluminum Frame, Decent Factory Components for price range of bike. Cheap Beginners/Intermediate skill level bike Octalink Bottom Bracket and Crank.

Weaknesses:    Spinner Os Grind1 Fork: Seals go bad quick, hard 2 tune in not very reliable.Some Brand-less Components mainly seatpost and hubs.Grips where out quick

Bottom Line:
I Race this bike in the West Virginia Mountain Bike race circuit.Ive upgraded the drivetrain from 3x8 speed to a 3x9 speed setup.Ive lso put a set of easton vice all mountain bars and matching stem on instead on the Avenir Bars and Stem.I replaced the grips with Dk mini-block vice grips.i replaced the pedals with a set of '09 Crank Bros Candy Clipless Pedals.Ive put about $300-$400 in parts on the bike and it holds its own up against the high end Specialized and Trek/Gary Fisher bikes that most of the racers ride in this area.So if your willing to put some more money in this bike its a nice platform to start with.

Favorite Trail:   Otero Canyon Albuquerque NM

Purchased At:   The Pedal Shop

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper xc hardtail

Bike Setup:   Easton Bars And Stem '04 Marzocchi Mx Comp Fork Shimano Deore driveline crank bros candy pedals

Submitted by lopek77 a Cross Country Rider from Waterford

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap buy, Good and proven quality Shimano alivio, acera components. Pretty light in this price range. Well build frame, great brakes, great tires, very comfy seat.

Weaknesses:    Original spinner fork was a joke... they replaced it twice in first months, weinmann wheels and joytech hubs are not the best quality products - these are just ok at best.
Warranty issues with Raleigh company. They are not really helpful and customer service both for bicycle dealer and for the bike owner is a joke.

Bottom Line:
It was a 2009 model and that's why price was so low. This bike is one of the best choices to try mountain biking.
Strong hydroform aluminum frame with great drivetrain will please most beginners.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   ctbicycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose ( in 90' )

Bike Setup:   factory setup with new spinner 300 fork.
26 inch geax saguaro tires, weinmann wheels, spinner grind os2 ( original one ), wtb seat, few avir components, Shimano drivetrain with rapid shift ( alivio and acera ), tekro brake levers with hayes hmx-4 mechanical discs

Submitted by 5EAN11 a Racer from Trinidad & Tobago

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    its really strong, good components, has survived many many crashes

Weaknesses:    seat posts comes loose, the fork sometimes make a funny clonk noise but still works very well, my grips wore down and started too slip

Bottom Line:
well its is a great deal, the price is low and it works, it handels jumps, the downhill section of my local track, and actually i crashed today and it is fine!!!!. the rims are good and even though the tires dont look too knoblly they hold very well. if you are looking for a hardtail thats cheap dont get a trek or specalized, get this, if you want a more then buy the 8!!

Favorite Trail:   extension

Purchased At:   Corkies

Bike Setup:   08 majave, sette ryde adjustable saddle, panaracer fire xc pros, peaty lock ons

Submitted by eric Irons a Weekend Warrior from tampa

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
this bike has had nothing but problems since i've had it. everytime i ride it something breaks. time to throw it out and get a cheap wal mart bike; i've had better luck with those.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   university bike cent

Submitted by Van-Go a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington, NC

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    Frame and I'm happy with the tires and rims

Weaknesses:    Front fork is nothing to speak of but has done the job for me. Seat squeeks no matter what I do.

Bottom Line:
$280 + $60 shipping got me my first bike. I have been very happy with it. Need to have a little work done on it due to cable stretch and the derailer shifting on me uphill occasionally. I'm told that typical maintenance. After testing some other bikes after-the-fact I felt very happy with my purchase and thought it was money well spent for an entry level bike. I've taken this bike to DuPont and Pisgah in NC and Paris Mtn. in SC and feel it has performed very well - no complaints. I know the components are low end but for the $ they have done a great job for me. Clockwork Orange color gets a lot of comments on the trail. If you're looking for an entry level bike that won't break the bank - in my limited experience - this would be a good way to go I think.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Clay

Purchased At:   ebay (new via store

Similar Products Used:   Test rode a Giant, Gary Fisher, and Specialized hard tail after I purchased the Raleigh. This was my first bike - just wanted to see what else was out there and how it felt.

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by petrol1968 a Weekend Warrior from Irmo, S.C.

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    I am not a small guy, and this bike has hauled me throgh some scary trails. A strong bike and the components for the money dwarf all the other manufacturers bikes in the same price point.

Weaknesses:    Pedals have to go. No lock out on the front fork can add some extra work on those long switchbacks.

Bottom Line:
Like I said in this price point, you will be hard pressed to find a better ride. I have enjoyed this from day one and have put it through it's paces. If you are looking for a bike or looking to upgrade this is an awesome bike.

Favorite Trail:   Outer Loop at Harbison

Purchased At:   Harrels

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Scott

Bike Setup:   Stock but added SD Pedals.

Submitted by jchc a Cross Country Rider from Redlands, CA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2009

Strengths:    frame is awesome and most of the components are good.

Weaknesses:    front fork upgrade this asap

Bottom Line:
good bike for the price, and it is ez to upgrade

Favorite Trail:   the trail that i am on

Similar Products Used:   diamondback outlook

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Mojave 5.0
race face bb and cranks
rock shox duke sl front fork
crank bros 5050 peddles

Submitted by alleeaus a Weekend Warrior from Conroe, TX, US

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2009

Strengths:    Great for around $500

Weaknesses:    Forks leaked oil removing some paint off of the forks, plastic pedals broke, had to replace crank and crack case both stripped, plaining on rebuilding bike with rockshox, and straitline components

Bottom Line:
Good bike for $500

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Bike Lane

Similar Products Used:   gt backwoods?

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by jcmtbfreak a Cross Country Rider from Kansas

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2009

Strengths:    Handling, solid components for price, bulletproof construction, upgrade worthy frame, smooth riding.

Weaknesses:    seatpost both 07 and 08, non drive side crank on the 07's. Tires on the 07.

Bottom Line:
I was an excursion (wilderness camp) counselor at Eagle Lake Camp outside of Woodland Park, CO for the summers of 07 and 08. Both years we had the Mojave 5.0s as camp bikes. While I brought my personal bike to ride (98' Trek 930, x-9 goodies, Duke XC, eggbeaters), I did ride these bikes around on occsion. The 08's are an incredible bike value and I was very impressed by how they rode and handled on the couple short outings I rode them on. Yeah, the fork clunks around a bit, but it does its job of improving handling and smoothing things out. So for the price, I couldn't complain. The components are low end, but solid. We had few issues at camp, even with the kids crashing the bikes about not shifting properly. The brakes don't have amazing modulation, but get everything slowed down and stopped in a safe and controled fashion. The wheels were just kinda there. Not really standouts...but we never had any major trueness issues with them either. We did find that across the board on the 07's and 08's that the seatpost adjustment bolt loosened. And in addition to that on the 07 model the nondrive crank arm bolt would work its way loose with no warning. Very annoying. Though some blue loctite fixed that. The semi slick tires on the 07 sucked it up as well. This was changed for 08. Much fewer camper wash outs this summer.

Overall an AWESOME buy for the money. If I was just starting out mtn biking again, this is a bike that I would buy. It's solid enough to handle some nasty singletrack, and has a frame that is very upgrade worthy. I would have no issue slapping some LX or X-7 components, reba SL or a Recon on it, with comparable wheels and using it for a hardtail trailbike. If kids can crash and bash on this bike and it hold together, it can take anything. Eagle Lake actually sells their entire stable of Mojave 5.0s at the end of every summer for about $350 a piece. You can contact them at www.eaglelake.org. 5 chilis for value, you just can't beat this bike. 4 chilis for the overall cause while it's awesome for the price, it could still use some upgrades.

Favorite Trail:   Wilson Lake Rollarcoaster

Submitted by freeride mojave 5.0? a Cross Country Rider from gainesville,fl

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Strengths:    great bike it can stand up to my abuse with 6ft. drops and the worst rooted trails Florida can offer.rims strong,frame strong, derailleur great after good tune up,great brakes,seat ok,grips good. great dirt jumper

Weaknesses:    fork need upgrade,but then again good forks are $500 and up. pedals are boo boo, tires can't hang with sugar sand but great for street.

Bottom Line:
if your look for a bike at $500 rang this is the bike. better than kona or specialized or garyfisher. best part in the 500 rang

Favorite Trail:   lowes to westside

Purchased At:   bikes and more

Similar Products Used:   best bike for the $500 price rang

Bike Setup:   saving for shocks but i've only needed to change tires in the front 2.4 Panaracer firefr and in the back 2.2 Bontrager jones acx and eastern sealed pedals

Submitted by j35u5fr34k a Racer from East Tawas, MI

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    Great bike for the price. I have put about 150 mi. on the bike so far and it has held up well. Great stopping power and traction. Has held up so far with only a few adjustments.

Weaknesses:    Could have used a better rear derailleur from the start. Like someone else said in the reviews, this bike has some drive train noise and I think it is due to the crappy Alivio rear derailleur. I wish they would have stepped it up to a Deore or better. I am planning on replacing this with a Deore XT soon. Also, I would have liked to have had 2.3 in. tires instead of 2.2 but that is just me. I agree with other poster too, the front fork will have to go. Absolute poop. I have seen it top out (not bottom out) after compressing it and releasing it for a bunny hop or a drop.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike for the price. Do yourself a favor and upgrade the derailleur right away if you get this bike and eventually the front fork. Or better yet save your money get the Mojave 8.0. Overall, a very good bike for $509.

Favorite Trail:   Rifle River Recreation Area, Rose City, MI

Purchased At:   Riverside Bicycle Os

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher hardtail (can't remember name)

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Mojave 5.0, Blackburn X8 lights, SBS Titanium seat, stock everything else, soon to be upgrade to Deore XT rear derailleur.

Submitted by pattyoy7@hotmail.com a Cross Country Rider from Duluth, MN U.S.

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Semi-Light weight, Great Breaks, Quality Tires, Tuff.

Weaknesses:    Front Fork is a Pile, could use a different handlebar, pedals have a plastic core and a metal outside so the screws that hold the metal on strip out the plastic.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the beginner and the experianced. If you were to get a new fork it would be awsome for any terrain but even with the crappy one on it, it still goes where I want it to.

Purchased At:   Galleria Sales

Bike Setup:   Hayes 180mm Disks, SPD Pedals, Sigma 1606 Bicycle Computer.

Submitted by stephen a Weekend Warrior from san diego, ca, USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    solid, pretty strong somewhat-adjustable fork, good brakes, derailleur is good after a good tuning

Weaknesses:    pedals suck and fell apart fast, crank has lots of flex and hits my derailleur resulting in annoying clicking when pushing hard, the handle grips are not great

Bottom Line:
i really like this bike. Rode it to work every day for the summer and managed to crash it a few times on concrete with no frame issues. The frame is solid and has taken some falls, the front fork has seen some abuse but still works, and the fork resistance adjustability is a nice plus. The derailleur is pretty solid when tuned right, and the tires get the job done. I enjoy riding this bike on streets and trails and recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap-ish but solid bike.

Purchased At:   UCSD bike store