Raleigh Mojave 4.0 XC Hardtail

3.67/5 (9 Reviews)

A playful and versatile recreational mountain bike, ready to tackle any mountain loop, a spin with the kids in the cult sac, or a mellow weekend ride. Equipped with an aluminum frame, Suntour suspension fork, disc brakes, and Shimano drivetrain. Grab it and roll!

Submitted by anashourani a Cross Country Rider from damas Syria

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2012

Strengths:    Pretty light weight, sturdy,smooth-moving bearings as if no friction, balance frame design for both up and down hill ride, brakes great, it stops when you want it to, no componants come loose or jerk, no noise absolutely silent even when riding on bumpy terrain,all in all it is the best you can have for its price, an all-rounder,I adore it.I recommend it for both amateur & pro.

Weaknesses:    grips not very comfy,their 'side stoppers' do drop, front brake cable needs ties to hold better instead of rubbing frame paint work,pedals need to have rougher surface for better grip ,front fork is a bit hard for my 74kg, handlebar is too straight to hold it comfortably,would be better if bent backward, otherwise perfect.

Bottom Line:
Durable,tough looks pro, no apparent drawbacks,functions very well, rear and front gears make wonderful combination for selecting the desired speed,shifts from speed to the next smoothely,I have ridden it for 1 whole year without a hitch, good value for money.

Favorite Trail:   rough rocky trrain & streets

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   old British on rode Raleigh Rambler 10 years, Nakxus mountain bike which I still use beside Mojave 4.0 but prefer Mojave much better

Bike Setup:   very well balanced,perfectly & ergonomically designed

Submitted by woodshed a Cross Country Rider from Johnstown, Pa

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is lightweight and durable for the price, disc breaks are great for the price, original derailleur still going strong.

Weaknesses:    Shocks, crankshaft ... most of the components are on the weaker end

Bottom Line:
Great for a beginner, which is where I was when I got it. First year, everything worked fine riding a mix between roads and beginner trails. This is a GREAT bike for beginners. Year two, I progressed to more challenging technical trails and the bike didn't do so well. After just a month or so, I had to start a steady progression of upgrading all of the components - put more money into the upgrades than I did to buy the bike. But, with the improved components the bike has been great. If you can get your hands on this frame for a reasonable price, pimp it out with higher grade components and you'll have a great ride for even more advanced trails. I really like the agility and balance of the frame, especially if you like to ride out of the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Laurel Mountain

Purchased At:   Ski Den Sports

Bike Setup:   Almost everything has been upgraded

Submitted by alex a Downhiller from vt

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    trails

Weaknesses:    jumps downhill

Bottom Line:
this bike in for beginners not some one that wonts an all mountain

Favorite Trail:   saxson hill

Purchased At:   sikrack

Bike Setup:   trails

Submitted by jumpjunky a Downhiller from meriden connecticut us

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2009

Strengths:    The frame is really string and the stock derailuer lasted a long time and i beat on it alot. breaks work really nice but the rotors warp really fast.

Weaknesses:    i blew my fork just riding it. bars bend really easy.spoke on the back rim dont stay tight for very long. shifter and brake is one piecs

Bottom Line:
bike is good just have to put some work into it

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Pedal Power Ct

Similar Products Used:   stump jumper mojve 5.0

Bike Setup:   manitou axel, avid levers carbon bars. race face stem, x.5, attack shifters, wtb grips, much much more

Submitted by AlexJK a Weekend Warrior from nipomo, ca

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2009

Strengths:    good for the money

Weaknesses:    bars are too narrow for my taste, seat doesn't appear angle-adjustable, forks kinda suck but for $415, you can't complain

Bottom Line:
goos bike for the money, the narrow bars make it feel too twitchy. but thats an easy fix.

personally i think the specialized hardrock is a bit better but they are both good bikes

Purchased At:   ira's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   specialized rockhopper

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by tyrebyter a Cross Country Rider from albuquerque, nm, usa

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    great components for the price

Weaknesses:    plastic rear derailleur, little heavy

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Opened up new trails to me whhich exposed some weaknesses: fork is what you'd expect in the price range. Fixed that with a bargain-priced Marzocchi MX Pro LO fork. Took some more weight off with a carbon bar. Now it really wails.

Favorite Trail:   sandia foothills

Purchased At:   cycle cave

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh FS

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi MX Pro LO, Easton Monkey-lite carbon bars.

Submitted by uarkdude2012 a Weekend Warrior from Fayetteville

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    Fantastic parts (mostly) for a great price. I have the 2007 4.0, so my set up is a bit different, but it is a solid bike. When I got this, disk brakes on entry level bikes were pretty much unheard of, and still are, but this bike has them, and they aren't a bad setup at all!

Weaknesses:    The fork on mine was a SR Suntour XTC w/ 75 mm of travel. It got water inside the coils somehow (I don't even ride in water...) and rusted it out completely. I broke more it trying to fix it. The fork isn't bad for an entry level bike, but it will be the first thing you will want to replace if you get into serious riding. Same can be said for almost any bike.

Bottom Line:
This is an absolutely fantastic bike. There are parts on this thing that can't be found on other more expensive bikes. If you want to buy your first bike but aren't sure what you should get, a Raleigh is a good start. You'll be paying a bit more than the extreme entry level stuff you find from Giant and a few others, but you'll be riding on the same stuff a Fisher or Trek owner will have, but at half the price.

Favorite Trail:   Around the lake

Purchased At:   Fayetteville Bike Sh

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Gary Fisher, Diamondback, and Giant all have setups similar to this, though raleigh tends to be better priced with more options. And, they are prettier!

Bike Setup:   All stock 2007 blue 4.0, minus the Suntour fork, which has been switched for a Manitou

Submitted by Ghetto B a Cross Country Rider from Fairfax, VA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Strengths:    Great entry level bike, does what it should, decent components, and disks at a good price point. Comfy saddle, feels pretty light and snappy (maybe just to a noob)

Weaknesses:    Crankset for sure. If you are big you will deffinately want a differant crank on here.

Bottom Line:
Great Value, good entry level trail bike. I was happy to just get a solid bike, and then upgrade as I felt necessary or things broke. I would absoloutly buy this bike again. I have always been pleasantly surprised with it, even after beating it senseless.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop, in Ce

Bike Setup:   Truvativ bars and stem w/Oury lock-ons, Rockshox Recon fork, Shimano Hone crank, XT Pedals, WTB Speed-V saddle

Submitted by playa_lot a Weekend Warrior from Monticello, IN

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    Price point is right where I wanted to be. Entry level suspension, disc brakes and decent components under 500 bucks.

Weaknesses:    crank

Bottom Line:
This bike has been a lot of fun. I have been ridding an early rigid Peugoet for almost ten years. I have enjoyed the easy set up and maintainence on this bike. Not very heavy and seems to hold up to all i can give it. The only problem I had was I cracked a crank arm the second summer I rode it...was going to upgrade anyway. Next will throw a better shock on it and be done.

Purchased At:   Mathew's Bike in Ind