Raleigh M80 XC Hardtail

3.96/5 (56 Reviews)

Submitted by stanleykowalski

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2012

Strengths:    Lots of decent components for cheap. I particularly like having the disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Not so good for its double duty as an urban commuter. Seems to have had a not insignificant number of broken parts over the years. On the other hand, I've ridden it pretty much more than I would have expected when I bought it first and last. On the stuff people aren't looking for a brand name, they cut corners maybe. Yeah, the seat tube is a little weak.

Bottom Line:
Fair price for a "real" mountain bike. At least it was back then. I've had it since 2002, I think, so its a long term evaluation. I'm not one of these skinny kids in bicycle shorts. I tend to laboriously grind up a fire trail and then fly down as more a training exercise. I expect the bike takes quite a beating on the downhill part given my weight, and my willingness to get some altitude first. No wonder the components take a beating.

Can't say categorically its the best bang for the buck. I'd check out Jamis, for example if I had to do it again.

You won't go far wrong with a bike like this.

Submitted by SDKmann

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    Very durable, comfortable saddle, great stock tires, solid overall package

Weaknesses:    Weak stock pedals, very heavy, low end fork

Bottom Line:
I own a 2004-2005 model that was purchased new as my first mountain bike. I could not be happier with this bike for a beginners bike in this price range. I crash on a regular basis on the trails and have had more than a few high speed crashes on pavement as well. Despite all the big crashes I have had in the years I've owned this bike the only casualty, other than myself, has been the pedals. The stock pedals that come with this bike have no place on the bike. They are very weak and are easy to break, if the bike is going to see any trail use at all the pedals need to be the first thing to go. I went through 3 sets of the stock pedals before I upgraded to solid magnesium pedals and now there are no weak points on the bike. The fork is another weak point on the bike. My bike came with the Manitou Six fork which I have not been very happy with. 80mm of travel is just not enough and the knob to adjust the dampening broke soon after I purchased the bike, the weight of the fork doesn't help either. It is good enough to get by though and so far it has remained on the bike. The third major weak point, and arguably the largest flaw, is the weight. The heaviness of the bike makes it difficult to control at higher speeds on the trail and is a pain during climbs. If the increased weight is what is required to make this bike as durable as it is at this price point then it is an acceptable trade off, but this bike would have at least 4 chilies if it was even a little lighter. The stock WTB saddle on this bike is really great. Its not mushy at all but its soft enough that it is comfortable for all day riding. The saddle is so good that I would transfer it to a new bike if I ever got one, I can't imagine a more expensive saddle being any better. The stock WTB Weirwolf tires are fantastic as well. I still have the stock tires that came with the bike, they have worn well and I have not had a flat. Since 04-05 the rear tire has been worn down in the middle and needs to be replaced, but the front still has lots of tread and grips the trail very well. The front tire has never washed out on the trails and I doubt the rear would if it still had all its tread. The disc brakes work well, Im sure there are other brakes out there now that would be a significant upgrade but the stock Hayes MX-2s perform very well. Overall the Raleigh M80 is a great value. The stock components are sufficient, especially for a beginner, and the affordable package makes it an awesome option for a fun trail bike. The few upgrades I have done have made the M80 even more fun for a very small cost.

Favorite Trail:   Center Trails- Des Moines, IA

Bike Setup:   Wellgo MG-1s, Truvativ Hussefelt Comp 700mm bars, Truvativ AKA 90mm stem, ODI Yeti Hardcore lock ons

Submitted by senbluto a Cross Country Rider from West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, feels solid, really a rock-solid off-road ride.

Weaknesses:    Heavy!

Bottom Line:
A very reliable bike for a damn decent price. The Judy forks leave a lot to be desired, but what can one expect for $500? The Shimano components have yet to fail me, which is an impressive statement (IMHO) for their low-end stuff.

Favorite Trail:   West Bloomfield Trail

Purchased At:   House of Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback

Submitted by Vociferous a Cross Country Rider from Stoneham, MA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Strengths:    Stable feel, durable frame, good front shock.

Weaknesses:    Shifters go out of adjustment frequently

Bottom Line:
I have been riding Raleigh since 1981, so after I read a favorable review in Bicycling.com for the 2000 model, I grabbed a 2001 model in 2002. The bike has never let me down, although I rarely ride on trails. I mostly do agressive street riding; jumping curbs, carrying heavy loads, riding in extreme weather and on bad roads.
The suspension seatpost and Manitou Magnum forks are more than a match for any hard road, light trail riding I might do. This is the first mountain bike I have ever owned, so I was not aware that it was considered heavy by some. I intend to upgrade the forks to Manitou Drake 100mm and the crank and bottom bracket to Stronglight X1.

Favorite Trail:   Moose Run, Wellington State Park

Purchased At:   Harris Cyclery, Newt

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Terry Gel saddle, Suntour Bearpaw pedals and Forte Terramax rear wheel.

Submitted by TNT AK a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage AK USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    Rugged, lasting components. Great commuter bearing loads on the tail. Summer fun trail duster for the adventurous.

Weaknesses:    Steal is heavy.

Bottom Line:
Solid composition of inspired engineering. This machine has matched a demand for flexibility in terrain and returned no complaints. Since 1996 only the trails end has hampered forward momentum. Miles of joy!

Favorite Trail:   The next one.

Purchased At:   Gary Kings replaced

Similar Products Used:   TREK.

Bike Setup:   Stock, less the Weinmann front rim, spoke, hub combo replaced today in lieu of spoke change out. The 559 was replaced by 515 a with slightly lighter duty hub.

Submitted by codybean a Cross Country Rider from seattle wa. USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Strengths:    value, wheels

Weaknesses:    seat post

Bottom Line:
Bought it in 1998, and have put many miles on it. Mostly on pavement , but a couple DH rides. The Parana Pro wheels are still in good shape, which is amazing. The Rock Shock front is pretty trashed at this point. Overall a good value.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mt.

Purchased At:   Goleta CA.

Submitted by Rick from the Pacific Rim a Cross Country Rider from Guam

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    Very solid bike, no breaks, no problems. Sturdy as a tank.

Weaknesses:    After 4 years the front fork is starting to get squishy.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in early 2005 and it has performed flawlessly since, the bike weighs 32 lbs stock and can be less with new upgrades. I was T-boned twice while living in Hawaii in 2006 by cars (in the crosswalk) and the frame never cracked, did some damage to the rims and pedals though and had to be replaced. I've ridden cross country and trail in Hawaii, Okinawa and Guam and have taken some HARD falls and the bike NEVER falters. I'm not a pro but I have ridden some higher end hardtails and full suspensions and I'll stay with this bike because I have full confidence in it. I clean the bike and lube all componentss after every ride (2-3 times a week) and it stills shifts like new. Recently I was going to upgrade to a newer bike but after some serious thought changed my mind, the new bikes are lighter but not significantly so, with a few upgrades I can shed some weight from this bike. I will be upgrading the front fork and handlebars soon and probably the chain and gears in the next year due to prolonged wear plus getting some rust due to island living and constant salt air that gets into everything. I just had the internals overhauled and the mechanic was amazed that all components were in great condition.I was a new rider when I bought the bike and have advanced significantly since, I'm sure it's not the right bike for everyone but I've been happy with it and will continue to ride it until it falls apart.

Favorite Trail:   Channel 10 Guam/Hawaii

Purchased At:   LBS Hawaii

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper and Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   Stock except the addition of Shimano DX platform clip pedals and tire change outs for different rides and new rims and pedals after getting hit by cars (in the crosswalk).

Submitted by Kirk a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2007

Strengths:    Good value. Descent components for the price. Love the tires!Solid built frame.Disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side.Will outgrow if you ride regularly.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2004 model. It was my second mountain bike owned and I loved everything about it except for the weight. When I first started riding it didn't bother me but as I started doing some racing and long-distance cycling it came time to upgrade. I tested this bike on all sorts of environments and held up well and is still in great condition.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park, TX

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Erik a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2007

Strengths:    Value, you get some pretty good components for a good price. It is also a nice looking bike.

Weaknesses:    People say it is heavy but I don't think it is too bad. The fork and the front derailleur are pretty crappy.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the beginner. I have rode the crap out of mine, taking it places I don't think it was ever designed to go. I just upgraded the fork to a Rock Shox Recon 351 and the bike is so much better. Before the fork upgrade it was starting to slow me down but now it will last me a while longer. I also upgraded the front derailleur because I had problems with that from the get go. My seat post had to be changed out this spring too. Other than that this bike has taken a lot of abuse. I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Sovereign Singletrack, Moab, UT

Purchased At:   LBS - Boulder, CO

Similar Products Used:   Taken short rides on various other bikes but this is the one I have ridden the most.

Bike Setup:   All stock except for Rock Shox Recon 351 U-turn fork, XTR front derailleur, clipless peddles, and avid bb7 185mm front brake.

Submitted by M R a Weekend Warrior from B, VT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    Rides beautifully - never breaks down - always reliable. If color is your thing - the black paint everywhere is very appealing.

Weaknesses:    I will admit this bike is heavy. Definitely not fun on long hills.

Bottom Line:
These people who are so technical have got to be kidding me. This bike works great in all areas...whether going to the store for milk, a weekend race, commuting...whatever. The Manitou shock is awesome...it springs...isn't that the point. One of the most comfortable bikes I have ever had and is one of those I will keep until I depart the earth. I love this bike...no issues at all other than the weight. Tires, components etc etc. are great. What any bike really comes down to are the legs and lungs of those who sit upon them. I have done downhill, cross country racing and hill climbs on it and have done mediocre...but it isn't the bikes fault. I have done no maintenance whatsoever to it other than keep it clean and the occasional dose of lube to the chain. Great bike...highly recommended.

Bike Setup:   Stock - whatever it came with.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    Nice geometry, wide handlebars, nice shocks, good Hayes mechanical disc brakes, excellent Weirwolf tires, Shimano Dura-ace components.

Weaknesses:    Weak pedals. The Manitou shocks probably wouldn't stand up to the type of use a racer would put on it.
Usually, new, I guess the bike would cost somewhere between $500 and $600.

Bottom Line:
I'm someone what would probably have been happy with a Specialized Hard Rock Sport (about $350). I'm thrilled to death with this M80. If you're a beginner or intermediate cross country rider, the wheels, tires, shocks and disk brakes ought to be enough to spoil you.

Purchased At:   slightly used

Similar Products Used:   I tested Trek 4500 and a Specialized Hard Rock Sport.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for toeclips.

Submitted by saintowner a Cross Country Rider from Fort Fun (Collins) Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Strengths:    Strong frame. Beautiful colors. My '06 is like a misty light blue/silver that is awesome. Semi Integrated headset. I'm sure the OE bits are less then stellar so I purchased the "frame only" online.

Weaknesses:    Nothin' I can think of. Maybe whatever OE components came on the complete bike from factory?

Bottom Line:
These frames are sweet. Nice welds, great graphics, amazing paint. Strong enough for light DJ and can handle a beefy All Mountain build like mine forever. Bike rides perfect with a 130mm fork.
Component spec from factory is really nothing specail but you could sell that junk on Ebay and build a beautiful bike yourself. I've had Raliegh frames/bikes for years only broke one while wheelie droping into a cave. My fault really. Never wheelie drop into a cave with no seatpost in frame. You may lose control and frame may crash along cave walls braking your weld on seattube just under seat collar only because you did not have your seatpost in your frame. Uh...I mean....I was just riding along and the thing broke...ha...

Bike is good! Frame is Better! Ride the bike until stuff falls off then throw some quality bits on and ride happy!

Favorite Trail:   Wathen

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   3 other Raleigh Hardtails. All super nice frames with great color schemes and graphics.

Bike Setup:   Here we go! You'll notice some deviations from a factory Raleigh M80.
Fork:SR Epicon 130 Air w/lockout. Wheelset:WTB SX-24. Drivetrain: RaceFace DH crankset, Sram X7 rear w/ Sram cassette, Shimano front, Sram X5 shifters. Brakes: Tektro Auriga Hydraulic, Tektro 160 rotor rear, Hayes V8 rotor front. Headset: CaneCreek ZeroStack 2. Tires: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1. Bar+Stem: GT Oversized with GT lock-on grips.

Submitted by wenzy zingapan a Cross Country Rider from north hollywood, ca

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2006

Strengths:    The frame is absolutely strong and good for entry level for racing

Weaknesses:    The parts together with the frame are heavy like the cassette, crank set and the manitou fork

Bottom Line:
A well satisfied bike wherein you can upgrade and tune in into a race bike

Favorite Trail:   sullivan canyon

Purchased At:   bicycle den, san fernado valley

Bike Setup:   I have upgraded to an all Shimano XT Deore from shifters, cassettes, crank set, f & r deraillers and maxxis tires

Submitted by Poh Soon Teng a Cross Country Rider from San Pablo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2006

Strengths:    Pretty light. Weighs 28 pounds with all LX components. Shimano M342 Pedals (Great for those new to clipless)

Weaknesses:    Deore Disc Brakes (Not very adjustable), Rockshox Judy TT Fork does it's job absorbing but i wished it had a lock out...

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money

Favorite Trail:   Wildcat Gorge

Purchased At:   Craigslist Second Hand

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3900

Bike Setup:   BB7 Calipers, Vetta HR Monitor

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro, N.C USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Strengths:    Components for the price, brakes are great for being mechanical, WTB Wierwolf tires are GREAT for being stock

Weaknesses:    FORK is terrible this fork could literally be sold on a mongoose at wal-mart without a second thought, the original oil in the fork lasted 6 months before going bad which left me in the land of rigid because the fork totally locked up, Shimano LX rear derailluer is not a good choice, it is fast to get out of adjustment, stock seat is litterally hard as rock

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review as a follow up from my other review written 6 months ago,I bought this bike as my first mountain bike and now I have matured into a hard core rider and this bike just can't handle what I want to do these days, this bike really isnt bad for my local trails which are made up of some technical singletrack, however I am riding in the mountains a lot more now and this bike litterally wants to shake out of my hands on the downhills, the fork only travels about half of its full potential, the geometry is kind of funny it sits you up front leaving me with a lot of neck pain because I am hunched over the handlebars, this is one of those bikes that seems to be unbreakable which is a plus, Please don't get me wrong even though this review sounds all negative this is a great bike for a beginner it is very stable and tough, however now I am riding with the full suspension crowd on some knarly downhills where I have to stop when I know I could take that next drop if I had some suspension, The bottom line is that I have grown out of this bike and I am frustrated with the terrible rough ride asscociated with hardtails and the fact that the fork doesnt help at all, I will give this bike a 4 out of 5 in value because it does boast some impressive components for a bike in its price range, and I will give this bike a 3 out of 5 on overall because of the aweful fork and the fact that it just won't hold up over time to the hits I am taking, I raved about this bike when I first got it but now that I am ready to tackle the hard core stuff this bike is limiting me.

Purchased At:   Friendly Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon, I havnt really riden any really similar products because I am going to make a change to full suspension in the near future

Bike Setup:   2005 raleigh m80 hayes mechanical disks, Sram X.9 shifters and rear derrailuer, Cane Creek Thudbuster, Crank Brothers Stainless eggbeaters, specialized bg seat, specialized frame wrap for annoying chain hits

I'm New! Need help to update '99 Raleigh M80

Hey all. I'm new here and am just now getting into biking for the first time since I was a teen. (30's now). This is my first post and I LOVE forums. The reason I am here is to soak up some good info from some vets. I just picked up a '99 Raleigh M80. It is actually my first owned by me mnt ... Read More »

m80 issues.

I dug out my '03-ish (might be '02) M80 and picked up biking some trails last summer (3 times a week-ish). Fall/Spring i was hardly able to go probably only a handful of times and I'm starting back up this summer. If your lazy just skip the last paragraph where the question is... By the end of ... Read More »

can anyone help?? raleigh m80

a friend of mine has one of these and would like as much info as possible.is it worth keeping and maybe upgrading some componts if needed.Read More »

Raleigh Mountain Sport m80

Today I saw and test drove a 2005 Raleigh Mountain Sport m80. If you guys know anything about this bike I would appreciate the feedback. It was $650 and had good components on it. The shifters and gears were XT, the hubs were shimano. The shocks were ShockRock (I beleive). I cant seem to find thi ... Read More »

Raleigh Mountain Sport M80

Anyone know anything about this bike? Saw one in the bike store with good components. (XT and Shimano) It was a 2005 and the price tag was very attractive. Just $650. Experience and feedback on this bike would be much appreciated.Read More »