Raleigh M60 XC Hardtail

Submitted by Greg Rach a Racer from NM

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great frame, well laid out, has held up very well with a ton of abuse. I have close to 5000 miles on this bike and have had very few problems. Great bike for the money.

Weaknesses:    heavy to start but multiple upgrades have ended that.

Bottom Line:
I love my bike!! I get a little teary when I think about it, and all the fun we have had together. Someday soon I will have to get a new frame as I am getting older and may need full suspension, but I will always love her and take her out from time to time. Maybe someday my 7 year old son will want to take her over.

Favorite Trail:   South Boundary

Purchased At:   Taos Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Crossmax rims, tubeless tires, XTR crank and BB, carbon fibre seat post and handle bar. XTR shifters and derailurs. Stock seat.

Submitted by Preston Pillsbury a Weekend Warrior from San Miguel de Allende, MX

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2005

Strengths:    Stock disc brakes are great, stops on dime and I love not having to mess with traditional brakes when taking off tires, stock shifters and gearing work great

Weaknesses:    heavy bike, SUN TOUR fork seems really stiff, WTB stock tires slip quite a bit on both uphills and down

Bottom Line:
Raleigh makes good stuff, for the bucks this is a solid bike. With a few upgrades, you've got it.
The M50 is a great starer bike for someone relatively new to the sport

Favorite Trail:   Nevado de Toluca

Purchased At:   Discovery Cyle (AUSTX)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock, Giant Rincon

Bike Setup:   bike is actually a 2004 m50, stock, egg beater pedals

Submitted by Brandon a Weekend Warrior from Johnson City, TN

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2004

Strengths:    -Very strong, solid frame
-A lot of bike for the money
-Good componentry

Weaknesses:    -Fork needed a stiff spring upgrade due to my weight
-Frame is ready for disc brakes but hubs aren't

Bottom Line:
You get a lot of bike for the money with this bike. When I started riding this bike, I weighed 285 pounds and riding purely single track. This bike has taken a lot of abuse. I ended up upgrading the fork to the stiffer spring. The standard (medium) spring is rated for 150-170lb rider which seems a bit soft to me. Once I made this change, the ride and my confidence improved dramatically. I did manage to bend a sadle rail and seat post bracket on one side recently, however this was a rider and weight fault. I landed very badly and the damage was minimal (at least to the bike).

I ride single track fairly aggresively for my size (now down to 250lbs) and was concerned about the abuse a frame would take. The largest drop I've done is about 3 feet which is a lot at my size. If this bike can handle that, I'm confident it can handle anything I'm going to throw at it. To look at how the frame is built (notice it's oversized head tube) it's obvious how much stronger this frame is over others at the same price point. That's why I went with this model over some others.

It stinks that the hubs can't accept disk brakes when the frame does, but the guy who owns the shop where I bought it talked me out of discs anyway. He talked me out of a slightly more expensive bike with disc brakes saying that the money was better spent on a better frame and double-walled rims. I'd have to say he was right.

Bottom line...great value.

Favorite Trail:   Warriors Path State Park

Purchased At:   Piney Flats Cycle

Submitted by Kurt Schrader a Cross Country Rider from Noble, OK, US

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2004

Strengths:    Solid frame and layout

Weaknesses:    Saddle and the Manitou Six fork

Bottom Line:
This is a great starter bike. It takes a beating and will continue take whatever you throw at it. The saddle's comfortable but weak at the same time. It can't handle the abuse of real aggressive riding/jumps. The Manitou Six fork is soft; Manitou offers a spring upgrade to stiffen it up if you plan on keeping the bike. Over-all, good solid beginner’s bike and helps to feed the addiction.

Favorite Trail:   Clearbay

Purchased At:   Al's Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Matt Bay a Weekend Warrior from Omaha,NE,USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    Easy bike to adjust to, Good quality out on the trails

Weaknesses:    The Manitou Six fork is pretty weak and the on a hard ride the Alivio front derailuer can completely derail the chain.

Bottom Line:
This is an awsome bike to start out. It is just tough enough to take any trail a beginer can throw at it. I have been riding bikes for years but I have really gotten in to it with this one. WARNING! You WILL get bigger better bike syndrome if you really enjoy riding. Its a real nice beginner bike.

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Rick Vann a Weekend Warrior from Friendly,West Virginia

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame and seating lay out.Great quality overall

Weaknesses:    Grips are awful and so is the seat

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike on 6/19/04 and put 14 miles on it and the seat about killed me.My hands went numb from the hard grips.The next day I road the rails trail in West Virginia and put in 71 miles.I had not rode a bike in about 10 years so I guess this was a comfortable bike needless to say.Also mine is a 2003 modle and has better componets then the 04.

Favorite Trail:   none as of yet

Purchased At:   Bobs Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Grand Teton and Cannondale M700

Bike Setup:   Stock except for grips and seat I changed out.Trip computer was added

Submitted by AJ a Weekend Warrior from MN

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
This was my first bike, so I'm going from a biginners POV. I've used it for almost two weeks on some local trails. I haven't ridden much else so I don't have much to compare it too. I test rode a cannondale f300 and a specialized i forget which one) The M60 felt the best. I'm not really sure why, It just felt better to me. I'm hoping to lighten the bike up a little(specs say its 30lbs) but that all costs $$ and since this wa my first bike I had to buy a helmet,rack,patchkit,pump,etc.,etc. so funds went dry real quick.

As a beginner bike I highly recommend the M60. The pedals that come on the bike are basic platforms. My friend gave me his 515's and some shoes so I swapped them out and so far loving it.

Purchased At:   erikd bike shop

Bike Setup:   clipless pedals added

Raleigh M60 SS Beginner

Just starting out on my first SS venture. I just ordered a Marin Bobcat and I decided to convert my Raleigh M60 to single speed. Already ordered a new seat post and Sette Single Speed conversion kit. I didnt order the tensioner just yet but I like your guys DIY Tensioners so ill probably make my own ... Read More »

A Raleigh M60???

I have a chance to possibly trade some 17" mustang rims for a Raleigh M60 with a bunch of upgrades... neck rims, bars & levers. Has XT derailers & front rock shock Judy. Is this a decent bike & worth it?? It was rebuilt by the currect owner for a race bike & was raced. Just looking for some opinions ... Read More »

Raleigh m60

I'm looking at an old Raliegh m60. Is it work converting as a project bike?Read More »

Rebuilding a Raleigh M60

hello everyone. I think this might be my first post. I've been away ffrom biking for quite some time, and want to get back into it for some fun and cardio reasons. Most of my riding will probably be the streets of my town with a trail thrown in here and there. My bike is a Raleigh M60. It's fr ... Read More »

Hey, I wanna upgrade my Raleigh m60!

Alright so recently ive gotten way into mb. As of now i have a raleigh m60 [url]http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_2002_Raleigh_M60[/url] [url]http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2003_hardtail/product_121394.shtml[/url] I like the bike and other people say its a good bike too but things change and i wou ... Read More »