Pace RC305 XC Hardtail

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Ultra-large diameter head and downtubes connect the steering head to the BB to create an uncompromising ‘connected’ platform from which you can blitz the trail. But coupled with that the frame must provide feel and grip so to stop you being bounced all over trail we’ve purposely engineered flex into the multi-butted top, seat and chain stay tubes. You’ll surprise yourself (and your mates on following FS bikes) as you finesse up the next root infested ascent or climb off after a big day in the hills without having to stretch out the pain in your lower back.

Submitted by toomanybikescot a Cross Country Rider from Scotland - Fife

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, light frame

Weaknesses:    fragile paintwork

Bottom Line:
setup as a fast XC bike, light(er) setup but fantastic over most of the trails here. Glentress was fab, brilliant climer, the bike not me. Advise a proper chainstay guard & some helicopter tape to protect paint (mine is silver).
Otherwise, very ridgid back-end, makes me get out of saddle more than my other (f/s) bikes!

Favorite Trail:   Glentress Black

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC, aNTHEM, tRANCE XO, told u - too many bikes

Bike Setup:   Pace RC40 FORKS, HOPE MONO MINI 180/160 ROTORS, STX GROUPSET, MAVIC CROSSRIDE WHEELS, BONTY XTR TYRES, RACEFACE NEXT BARS/SEATPOST, CHARGE SADDLE, ODI LOCK-ONS

Submitted by Lozza a Cross Country Rider from Surrey, UK

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Light, stiff, handling, looks, climbing, geometry

Weaknesses:    Paintwork and decals can easily scuff - even with the anodized finish!

Bottom Line:
Bike geometry feels great especially on the trails and uses the forks perfectly. Very light frame makes it easy to ride with great handling. The bike climbs beautifully and takes jumps in it's stride.

I am a little worried that the dropouts may be tricky and expensive to replace in the future. Although with the 6 months trail riding I have done so far I've had no problems.

Finally, looks-wise it's a beauty and gets all the attention out on the rides. It really is a beauty!

Favorite Trail:   Summer Lightning

Purchased At:   550 UK POUNDS inc ho

Similar Products Used:   Scott MTB

Bike Setup:   LX groupset, Mavic Crossride wheels, Hayes Stroker Trail Breaks, Rockshox Revelation 426 Air forks, Easton EC70 parts

Submitted by davo uk a Cross Country Rider from yorkshire

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2008

Strengths:    anodised finish, good handling, great looks, very comfortable on long rides for a hardtail.

Weaknesses:    the frame cracked on the seat tube weld under the seat clamp.

Bottom Line:
would give the bikes performance a 5 chili rating but the frame only lasted for 400 miles and cracked at the top of a climb not a big drop off. i just hope pace waranty is good. i will report back when its sorted.

Favorite Trail:   north york moors

Purchased At:   wiggle

Similar Products Used:   first hardtail i have used for about 7 years. been riding full sus.

Bike Setup:   marzocchi mx comp 120, slx group set avid juicy 3 brakes, dt swiss 5.1 rims with hope pro2 hubs, thompson and hope finishing kit.

Submitted by a Weekend Warrior from East Midlands

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    Stealthy looking frame with anodized finish. Good geometry

Weaknesses:    dropouts are made of cheese and the support from the manufacturer is non existent

Bottom Line:
Let me just start by mentioning mine is he new 305 frame. While it was working, it was great, I loved it. However, now I know how the drop outs explode at nothing (I've crashed drop outs before an when it's justified, I'll hold my hands up to it), I'm weary of the frame. I'm not happy riding it. The response and attitude from the manufacturer just leaves me feeling cold. If it was a dodgy part and replaced it, I could just think it was one of those things but it they think this drop out was fine, then these frames are not the sort of thing I'd want to put my faith in!

Purchased At:   lbs