On-One Scandal XC Hardtail

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

The Scandal is new superlight XC frame, designed for covering the ground at high speed, either for fun or in one of the Marathon sort of races that people like doing. This is the least-aluminium-like aluminium frame.

Submitted by dixter1975 a Weekend Warrior from Dalby, N yorkshire, England

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2011

Strengths:    light, looks, anodised

Weaknesses:    harsh stiff and a bit skittish (26" version)

Bottom Line:
very light very quick very capable climber. too harsh in the back end for me. Im 6'1 and got an 18" frame which fits well. A very capable xc frame but i prefer something more forgiving for the type of riding i do.

Favorite Trail:   Penmachno, Golspie

Purchased At:   on one

Similar Products Used:   trek sawyer 29er

Bike Setup:   SS dt swiss 4.2d rims, nobby nics, pace rc40 forks, xt cranksets

Submitted by Appendage a Cross Country Rider from Petaluma, CA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Strengths:    Reasonably priced, honest 3.5 lbs for the 18" (yes, I weighed it), sharp handling, compact feel, understated appearance, comes faced and chased, no assembly issues

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a light, inexpensive 29er frame to build up as a race bike to replace my Fisher Mt Tam 29er. I went with the Scandal and it's been nothin' but love. I'm 5'11" with long arms and the 18" fits perfectly. The geometry is nearly identical to a Niner hardtail. Compared to the Scandal, my Fisher felt like a truck, even though it was almost as light. I had no compatibility issues with the hodgepodge of parts I threw on it- everything lines up, no clearance issues, etc. If you're looking for an inexpensive, light 29er frame, put the Scandal on your list of candidates.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   On-One website

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Mt Tam 29er, 19"

Bike Setup:   Misc. XT/X9 parts mix

Submitted by capco a Racer from wakefield , RI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2009

Strengths:    geometry, light, ride,quality, price, full lenght cable housing for rear mech is nice.

Weaknesses:    none so far.Although cast aluminum drop-outs seem sketchy but have held up so far.

Bottom Line:
Great frame! Light, inexpensive and handles like a knife, climbs like a goat. I purchased this bike mainly because the geo- matched my carbon stumpjumper almost exactly. The stumpy carbon broke 2x and was warrantied both times with a new frame so the last time I decided that I wanted Aluminum frame with the same geometry so I e-bayed it. The stumpjumper carbon rode beautifully and the 18 inch fit great so I searched until I found the scandal and the geo was very close. I am 5' 10" and wanted a bike that would handle and fit me the same as the stumpjumper and be light. The scandal has delivered! I would not hesitate purchase one of their frames, excellent quality, light, agile and rides like my SJ carbon HT but way less expensive. Most defiantly a race worthy bike.

Purchased At:   UNREAL CYCLES

Similar Products Used:   18" carbon stumpjumper HT, 18" steel bianchi HT,17.5" Fisher rig

Bike Setup:   magura marta sl, fox f 90 w/inerta valve, xt cranks mavic 817 wheels carbon post and riser bar 100mm stem

Submitted by Gabbo8 a Cross Country Rider from canberra,ACT,Australia

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Strengths:    Frame geometry,build quality and price thats australian dollars for the frame only

Weaknesses:    anodising seems to come off pretty easily and with my rather unconventional parts list I couldn't use large front ring as the lower bottle cage bolt wouldn't allow the front mech to be mounted high enough

Bottom Line:
This is a really solid frame that inspires me to push myself into situations I didn't think I was up for.It responds best when you crank hard sort of loosening up in the rear end.If you just bumble along the ride is pretty harsh but it is alloy and it is marketed as a racer.I did my first ever race on this bike last year 70 hilly miles and experienced no back pain so it isn't too jarring.This is a very good climber you don't have to get right up on the point to keep the front down and 70degrees is quick enough in tight singletrack without being suicide downhill.Stromlo is pretty rocky and the guys I ride with are ex motorcross on 5" full sus rigs so this frame has taken a fair bit and shown me a fair bit more.I'm totally satisfied with my purchase.The front mech issue is not a problem many people are going to experience and I just ride with 26 and 36 chainwheels-36/11 is plenty for my legs

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo

Purchased At:   Ebay-definitive cycl

Similar Products Used:   none really my last bike was a '93 diamond back Axis pro a sweet ride but things have changed a lot since then

Bike Setup:   18"26er(I'm 6'1)m900 crank,950 rear mech/shifters-long live 8speed,760 front,775 disc,DT 340 centrelock hubs and ZTR arch rims,thomson,king,selle italia,azonic bars and marzocchi corsa sl wc fork.maxxis ardent and crossmark

Submitted by voodoope a Cross Country Rider from paaleirik@hotmail.com

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2008

Strengths:    The frame is very comfortable, feels stiff and fast

Weaknesses:    None so far. Could have had a choice of colors. It only comes in black

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike on some technical trails now and like it very much. I run the same set up as my Voodoo Sobo, The On One feels faster and is easier to play with...
I will get one more Scandal 26" frame to set up with heavier parts and longer stroke forks.

Favorite Trail:   many favorites

Purchased At:   ChainReactionCycles

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Sobo. Ventana El Chiquillo

Bike Setup:   XTR 08 crancs and gears, rear shadow. Mavic X-max SL's, Schwalbe RR and NN tires, Thomson post and stem. Selle seat and Pro riser bars, Juicy 7 carbon's, Nokon cables

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Summit County, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight supple scandium black anodized 29er

Bottom Line:
I'm not Richie Rich but I love to ride. I had to choose between a mid-grade full-susp bike or a higher end hardtail. The Scandal was the right choice. This is the most understated bike on the trail. I'm 6'5" and it fits me perfectly. I love the 29 inch ride, the 27 pound set-up, and the wicked black anodized frame. The Reba SL does everything you want it to. The Scandal stands firm during grinding climbs and slashes through rocks, roots, tight corners, and silk singletrack. I've got over 100 miles logged on this ride in less than a month and can't wait to take 'er out into the woods again!

Similar Products Used:   Marin Team Titanium hardtail

Bike Setup:   Reba SL fork, XT front and rear ders, shifters, hubs, Avid BB7 mechanical disk brakes, Avid FR5 brake levers, Truvativ Stylo cranks, Hussefelt handlebars, eggbeaters, IRD Clyde rims, FSA stem, seatpost, Cane Creek S3 headset, Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tires, ODI grips, and WTB Pure V saddle

Submitted by NEIL FACEY a Weekend Warrior from WORCESTER

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2007

Strengths:    Light,fast,tough anodised finish with laser etched logo's,looks very stealthy on the trails as only comes in black,tried lots of other top end hard-tails but this is by far the best and it was only £250.00 for the frame.Mines a 26"wheeled 18" version and the frame geometry is just right,with a nice slopy top tube and plenty of reach.

Weaknesses:    A little harsh,but aren't all hard-tails?

Bottom Line:
Great frame(flies down the malverns),if your after and cheap,light,very well made xc,trail,etc.mountain bike then look no further.

Favorite Trail:   CWMCARN

Purchased At:   ON-ONE

Similar Products Used:   klein attitude,cannondale f1000

Bike Setup:   pace rc40's,hope 4's and mini's,xtr chainset and mech's,tompson stem and post,hope hubs and mavic x717's,with maxxis high rollers 2.35.

Submitted by Garry TooTall a Cross Country Rider from High Wycombe, Bucks, England

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2006

Strengths:    Build & finish are superb. The ride is so compliant and forgiving yet tracks really well. It built into a great 29er bike for a big guy.

Weaknesses:    cable guides perhaps a teeny bit close to the down tubes - scuffed the cables going in - but that is minor. Nothing else.

Bottom Line:
If you want a nice light XC 29er hard tail, this is great. If you're over 6'2", this is brilliant. If you're over 6'2" and weigh more than 200lbs, I'm having a hoot on it.

Favorite Trail:   Bradenham Woods

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden other alu frames and this feels so nice and not harsh in any way.

Bike Setup:   mostly XT, local built wheels, Reba 29er forks, low rise bars, 420mm seatpost.

Scandal 29er build with Alfine 8

Been a long time coming but finally finished my Scandal 29er build. Alfine 8 doing the gear duties laced to Stan Flow rims. Most other kit from On One. First ever bike build so pretty chuffed at result. Took it for its inaugural spin this afternoon and it didn't miss a beat. [ATTACH=CONFIG]81783 ... Read More »

2013 Scandal SS build

Complete with a few pics... What a fun bike to ride.. Very nimble and quick (almost like riding a 26er) Quick specs: One One Scandal 29 Stans Crest Wheels/Hubs 31T Homebrew Cog / 22T Surly rear Fox Float RL 29 One One stem/post SLX Crank Elixir CR brakes Bike was built for pretty rocky ... Read More »

29er Scandal and Hope Tech 2 Evo Brake Issue

I have a 16" Scandal 29er Swapout frame currently with the geared dropout and am running the Hope Tech X2 Evo brakes with the Hope Sawtooth Floating rotors. However, I am having a difficult time lining it up with the rotor. I have the rear caliper pushed at the most outward position as it will all ... Read More »

SS Sliders for new On-One Scandal 29er Swap-Out Frame V2

Looking for a link to buy the SS slider kit for this frame. I'm not 100% that those I found are the right ones. Thanks, KirkRead More »

Is scandal 26er a zero stack?

I just ordered a Scandal 26er and I have a few questions: Is it a zero stack headset or not? What is the rear wheel hub spacing? Thanks!Read More »