Norco Charger XC Hardtail

• RockShox Tora TK w/100mm travel

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Scott Carnahan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2013

Strengths:    Frame/Rockshox Fork/ Hayes Brakes/ Alivio shifters/Price

Weaknesses:    Most of the other components, but it's entry level and simular to other brands in this price range

Bottom Line:
    Mine is a 2013 model 9.2 19in frame, I paid $875 US. I knew to try and get the best fork that I could in this price range, now the Rockshox XC30 is still a very entry level fork, but better than the Suntours most others in this price range. I researched Specialized/Giant/Trek/ Jamis/Raleigh/ and others I can't remember right off the top of my head, basically, the Norco was the best value, all frames are Pretty much the same, made in China/Taiwan ect and come with a lifetime warranty. All the components are pretty similar/ Acera/Alivio/Deore/ X5 or a combo there of. With the Norco I could get into the basic Rockshox XC30 for $875/ with the others it was about $1000 for either the XC28 or XC30, and I believe the Trek offered the XC32 for about $1100. For me I had to be as frugal as possible, I was buying my wife and I a bike and a bike trailer too, so the Norco offered the best component to price ratio. I've had it about a year now and now complaints. Mostly 75% on road commuting to work pulling the bike trailer around the neighborhood, and about 25% off-road mostly basic single track, some heavier xc/downhills stuff, the bike works great for what it is, and the frame is good enough to upgrade with better components in the future as the original stuff wears out. The fork is pretty good for this level, a little soft for my 185lbs but at least offered Rebound dampening and a greater range of Preload adjustment, at least compared to the Suntour XCT/M/R that most entry levels come with. The Hayes Breaks are great, and I really like the Alivio shifters a lot, they shift great and have numbers as a reference to what gear you are in.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Oak

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   YZF250/ EXC500. Just moto bikes haven't had a mountain bike in years, like 20 years ago an old Montgomery Ward steel framed 26in Mountian bike, must have weighed like 50 pounds.

Bike Setup:   Bone Stock for now

Submitted by Aus-trailer a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2012

Strengths:    cheap,shocks are good and the seat was comfy

Weaknesses:    bike totally disintegrated over a 6 month period. Shimano shifter fell apart after a month, chain link broke after 30km, lhs pedal bearings went at 300km, rear derailleur ripped off after 330kms. Do yourself a favour and steer clear of the 2011 model.

Bottom Line:
    I used mainly as a commuter, so I wasn't riding it too rough. It spent more time during its life being fixed.Compared to my other bikes this one failed

Favorite Trail:   Kurin-gai

Purchased At:   factory

Similar Products Used:   Giant Sedona
    Gary Fisher
    Norco Bushranger

Bike Setup:   standard, then LX shifters

Submitted by paul_c33 a Cross Country Rider from Sydney

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2011

Strengths:    components included, light weight, ride quality, colour scheme and overall quality

Weaknesses:    can't really fault anything except may be rear QR skewer could be a bit better and the Wellg alloy pedal could have been double-sided?

Bottom Line:
    Top quality bike with top Shimano drive-train, Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes and WTB saddles and double walled rims. Nicely built frame which combine with the good components translate to a top quality ride! Over the years I had gone through quite a few bikes including Giants hardtails, All-Mountains dualies and more all cost much more than this bike but none of them compares to the ride quality of this bike and because of the light weight and the Shimano XT 29 speed, it just climbs so much better than anything else I have ridden. Since I bought this bike, I have ridden further and harder than I ever been. Highly recommended!

Favorite Trail:   Australia

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Crane, GT

Bike Setup:   Norco Charger 2010 XT components, Blackspire Sub4, Token Titanium QR skewers, Topeak Defenders

Submitted by photoBear a Cross Country Rider from Bendigo Victoria Australia

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    light strong frame, aestheticaly pleasing to look at. seems to stabilize at high speeds

Weaknesses:    thin paint, shimano disk brakes seem to always be a little soggy.

Bottom Line:
    I baught this bike because of brand alliegance i'll admitt, my first good bike was an old norco kokanee, Ive always found norco frames to be really well designed & made.
    I like that the cables are all arranged very neatly along the frame and im not a fan of fancy frame designs like you'd find on a GT so Ive always been fond of bikes with traditional triangular frames.

I baught the diamond back as mentioned above because it was cheap and had good componants but it always felt cheap, it was heavy and the welds were messy and uneven, the cables seemed disorganised and when I rode it I always felt as if it wasnt as well put together as my old Kokanee.

So when I replaced it with the Charger in 08 my feelings were comfirmed this bike just felt right and it was so well designed and made.

Favorite Trail:   Diamond hill/Carosoe resivoir

Similar Products Used:   Norco kokanee, Avanti comp xc, Diamond back vectra sport (replaced by charger)

Bike Setup:   08 model standard with the exeption of head stem and handle bar extensions

Submitted by PissedOffCil a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2008

Strengths:    - Relatively lightweight
    - Pretty sturdy

Weaknesses:    - The ride is rather harsh
    - The paint is crappy and chips easily

Bottom Line:
    I got this 2008 frame back from warranty when I noticed my Storm started cracking. So I only rode this for around 300km this season and I have to say that it took me a while to feel comfortable on it. This was an over he winter build so many adjustments had to be done. I got it finally though after around 150km of fiddling with every thing on the bike and was really starting to love this frame. I've always found it to be pretty stiff though which can lead to a beating on those day-long rides. It was my main reason to change the frame and so I'm going with something that will be a little less punishing. Overall I'm pretty happy about this frame though, it hasn't let me down for the season and has reignited the fun of riding a hardtail after last year riding the Six most of the time. So I would reccommend it. Can't talk about the stock build though!!!

Similar Products Used:   Norco Storm 2003, Norco Six One 2006

Bike Setup:   Custom build : Reba team fork, Thompson stem and seatpost, Easton Monkeylight SL handle bar, Mavic XC717 rim and everything else is Shimano XT.

Submitted by tane crosby a Cross Country Rider from australia nsw

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2008

Strengths:    handeling tora fork is nice althouhg heavy it is buttery smooth . hayes 9 brakes are great and powerful.

Weaknesses:    deore deralieurs are crappy but at this price point what can you expect. a better wheelset would make the bike lighter although i havent had any problems with the alexrims (dm24) . seatpost is complete crap i got the 20" frame as i am 6"2 and the seatpost was way too small replacing this is reasonably cheap .

Bottom Line:
    ive replaced almost all the drive train parts except cranks and front deraleur and the seatpost wich has made the bike lighter and a better overall performer it handles rough terain brilliantly and is fairly fast i have racing it regularily and am verry happy with the bike definately a good buy it also looks great

Favorite Trail:   daisy hill (brisbane)

Purchased At:   price in AUD

Bike Setup:   this is the 07 model nocro charger and is the red one the parts i have upgraded are:grips odi lock-ons , pz racing seatpost, lx chain/rear casette, xt rear deraleur, bbb race seat, tyress (it came with kenda komodos they are worst tyres even but replacing tyres is a regular occurance anyway,xt chainrings

Submitted by Zlatko a Cross Country Rider from Zapresic, Croatia

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    Nice fork and brakes, impressive handling(aggressive geometry), bike is an eye-candy

Weaknesses:    Grips are crap, derailleurs could be better (sram instead of shimano), can be a bit slow on the road

Bottom Line:
    Great looks, value and performance. Go and buy it!

Favorite Trail:   local trails

Bike Setup:   Stock, except DMR V8 instead of crankbros

Submitted by Brad a Weekend Warrior from Somerville, Victoria Australia

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Strengths:    Looks mean and tough but not overbuilt. 7" hayes so1e have awesome stopping power. Marzocchi AM4 shocks are great and provide ample travel (125mm/5 inch)

Weaknesses:    Deore derailleurs need precise adjustment to work properly. I am worried about the reports of derailleur hanger on earlier models, mine looks the same as the old one??

Bottom Line:
    Mine is the 2007 mod. A great bike with frame built for single track. Took it for a ride on tight flat sandy track and it was easy to cut into apexes and power out. Brakes were awesome in the sandy stuff I was going around in. Tyres were ok but I might get something a little chunkier for the sandy tracks. I will add more once I gain more experience with it.

Purchased At:   Norco dealer direct

Submitted by Clancy a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Strengths:    Tires, great, Shocks are fantastic, Brakes are allright, Saddle seems good, good overall feel

Weaknesses:    Derailleur hanger is way too weak. Seatpost slides down unless you super crank on the QR, which makes it impossible to undue, Ritchey risers are not high enough. Not the skinniest girl at the dance

Bottom Line:
    Norco needs to work on that hanger, it is just too weak, I may have to machine one from steel. I would rather replace one derailleur in a year than have two wrecked rides due to broken hangers. The shifting is just fine, get over it! DO NOT get rid of the Deore RD, it is not the cause of bad shifting, it is probably a bent hanger or the shoddy 9 speed crud that should never be on MTBs. I switched over to 8spd and it is all good now. Better yet, go seven and an above bar shifter w/ friction when the hanger bends (it will) These forks are great, simple, and they work. The tires are a great size for all round riding. This bike does it all, save for safe big drops, in which case, buy a duallie. The brakes are OK for a lighter guy, but make sure to buy name brand pads, I had one "dissapear" and it make for an exciting ride. This bike can be hard to ride and skitterish at times, but maybe that was due to a longer than stock stem. Mechanical discs are nice due to ease of maintenance. Cannot beat the price! This bike is for people who want more than an XC rig, and feel that they have enough finesse to do some big stuff w/o dual susp. This bike is quintessential hardtail allmountain! (just carry a few hangers with you!)

Purchased At:   $800CAD

Similar Products Used:   RM Blizzard, KHS Mont Comp, Specialized Stumpjumper, RMC Hammer, amongst others

Bike Setup:   Changed to 8 speeds, sooooo happy!,rockring, Ruffian Grips, Put a better riser bar on, that's about it, oh yah, and now on my 3rd derailleur hanger

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2006

Strengths:    The amazing frame, the fork and the price.

Weaknesses:    Everything but the frame the fork and the price.

Bottom Line:
    This is a fantastic bike for the big guy. I'm 6'5, 240lbs and I bought the 22' frame, this is the best frame I've ever had, it's like it was made specifically for me. Everything on this bike is entry level so you need to change most of it or spend youre summer fixing it. The rims are crap> (Sun Rims) Broke the rear one just rolling of the sidewalk, never happend before, even with cheaper rims. The Hayes Sole brakes are not so bad but they seem to need constant adjusting, but they are new so I guess they'll settle after a while. The crankset is horrible and the derailleurs too, but my shop bought all that back (new) and made me a very good price. So I highly recommend this bike for a big strong guy if it's modified, but tiny little people should stay away from it, It's too heavy for nothing if you weigh under 190lbs. I haven't found a bike with everything this bike has (with my modifications) for less then 1400$. So it's a great value. So, stock, this bike is not very good, they put a trekking crankset on an "all mountain" bike... But with a few inexpensive modifications, it's a excellent bike, extremely strong, very good frame design, and very very fast. Oh and that AM4 suspension fork really surprised me, it's very stiff when it needs to be and can take a serious beating.

Favorite Trail:   rougemont

Purchased At:   ABC cycles & sport

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale f600, Specialized Rockhopper, Devinci vandal.

Bike Setup:   Changed derailleurs to XT and LX for about 50$, changed crankset to a deore LX for 80$. Mavic XM321 rear rim. The rest is stock.

Submitted by Ewart Aitken a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2005

Strengths:    Burly

Weaknesses:    None for the price

Bottom Line:
    After reading other feedback I think I could have done better on the price. I was looking for a Rocky Mountain Vertex but found the Charger. It might not have as good components but then again I haven't felt robbed. For someone who only has one bike,commutes and wants to ride with buddies every once and a while it's a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   anything that makes me grin

Purchased At:   John Henry

Similar Products Used:   Stump Jumper

Submitted by Simon Chan a Weekend Warrior from Byron Bay, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Strengths:    6061 Hyrdaformed alloy Down & Top tube; Marzocchi EXR Pro Air 120mm Forks; Truvativ stem, handlebars, cranks, BB; Hayes So1e Hydros; Maxxis ignitor tires; Shimano Deore FD, RD, Hubs, Shifters; Sun CR18 rims & DT spokes.

Weaknesses:    Budget Wellgo pedals (but they do the job). Titec saddle- I don't know about you but I want to be functioning when I'm older... Norco- unless it's DH or FR, use anatomical saddles! Other than that I LOVE IT

Bottom Line:
    NB: this is the 2005 Charger. Price is in AUD.

Firstly, of all the manufactures trying to put as much 'bang for your buck' in around at the $1000-$1500 price bracket... Norco have come up trumps. It's a 'horses for courses' on what bike you want, because some manufacturers will make some components better than others. Whilst each bike you look at will vary (like the derailleurs might be good but you'll have no name hubs).

In the case of the Charger 05, the let down comes with the saddle, pedals and RD. And that's not too bad! I'm a Hardcore XC rider/All-mountain rider who loves going uphills but equally loves going down them. The frame is well gusseted and overall very strong. Otherwise, just look at the list of components- all not the best gear, but proven to work and take a beating. And this bike has definitely taken heavy hits and still looks good (as i expect it to be).

The Ride:
    It smokes! The acceleration on this bike is great. The geometry allows the use of 5" forks, high pedal efficiency and a nice overall riding position. On the down hill, it handles berms, corners extremely well whilst it can get a little bit off on rough stuff (but not enough to make you feel really uncomfortable). It's a bike designed to have a high seat to pedal to the top, then lowered to hit the down hill. Of course, if you want something that'll handle DH better- save up some more and buy a dually all-mountain.

Overall, I looked at similar bikes in this price range from Avanti, Kona, Iron Horse, Schwinn and GT, each to their own a good bike for XC/All-mountain entry-level. But in terms of value, the Norco had it all for me. Bloody good fork, brand name wheelset, hubs, stem, handlebars... all adds up to a bike that needs almost no upgrading.

Favorite Trail:   Majura Pines, ACT

Purchased At:   Byron Bay Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Avanti Lightning, Schwinn Mesa GSD, Iron Horse Warrior Expert.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for toe clips.

Submitted by Joey a Weekend Warrior from Markham, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2005

Strengths:    Sturdy 7005 frame, smooth 5" travel Marzocchi EXR Pro, Hayes levers and discs F/R, Truvativ crank, Sun rims, beefy 2.3" Nokian's, reliable F/R Deore changers, Truvativ ISIS BB, beefy Truvativ stem, Ritchey riser XC bar and headset, Deore hubs F/R, SRAM casette and chain.

The army green is perfectly complimented by the gold and black Marzocchi fork which is the best OEM fork you'll find on a bike for under $1000CDN.

Weaknesses:    Axiom (aka Norco) seat and grips are cheap and uncomfortable but easily fixed. 2005 comes with hydraulic discs and a new seat but virtually unchanged beyond that.

Bottom Line:
    This is my first serious bike but I always do my research before dropping money on anything. This is hands down the best entry level XC hardtail on the market for under $1000CDN. In shopping the sub $1000CDN range I found that there was always a comprimise when it came to derraileurs, brakes, and forks. You could only get two out of the three, but this is the only bike you'll find with discs F/R, Deore F/R, and a 5" travel coil and oil shock, not to mention brand name components throughout. Best OEM setup under a grand period. Doesn't hurt to buy from a Canadian company either. Highly recommended with 5 flamin chillis all around. Good job Norco. Next buy is gonna be a VPS Fluid 2.0 full suspension!

Purchased At:   Silent Sports

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rainier, Rocky Mountatin Trailhead, Oryx T-Line 125, Jamis Durango SX

Submitted by Mark Boyer a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg,Man,Canada

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2005

Strengths:    front forks seem to work good,bike picks up real fast.I have panaracer tires and they seem to be good in the snow so far have to try them on gravel

Weaknesses:    I am hearing bad things about the rear derailer i have the deore lx and it seems real fast yet smooth.I will update and say what i think about the bike after i get more use out of it

Bottom Line:
    this bike is awsome for the price i paid i bought it used it was like brand new the guy only had it a short time and it was taken care of it is a 2004

Favorite Trail:   The Forks