Norco Bushpilot XC Hardtail

• Shimano 24speed drivetrain w/ Alivio rear derailleur

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by mtber

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    good for downhill, strong bike, good tires

Weaknesses:    brakes are loud but just rub them with sandpaper, needs new pedals down the road, seat isn't the comfiest

Bottom Line:
    over all this bike is awesome ive had it for just under a year and only had problems with the brakes but over all id recommend this bike to people

Submitted by SupaLolCat a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    Strong frame, great fork, good bike for everything.

Weaknesses:    Brakes suck... That's like the only thing wrong with it.

Bottom Line:
    Great all-around bike for a beginner. I've only just bought this bike a few days ago, but I've already gone mountain biking, dirtjumping, racing, and some street tricks, and here are my ratings:

Mountain Biking: Worked great, and didn't have any problems, it's not the best Mountain Bike, but it's good enough for me because I'm a beginner mountain biker. The fork worked well. ~4/5~

Dirt Jumping: Me and my friend did some dirt jumping, and it worked extremely well for that. I got some big air, and the bike didn't have any problems at all. Again, the fork worked great for this. ~5/5~

Racing: This would probably be the bikes weakness. I had a race against some friends, and it wasn't the best. It's quite fast, but don't buy it to race. The tires are to thick and the frame is to heavy. It is a mountain bike. ~3/5~

Street Tricks: The bike works quite well for tricks, though the brakes were a problem for some tricks. Wheelies and bunnie-hops are easy and work well. Overall it's a good trick bike, but not great, get a BMX if you want to do some epic tricks. ~4/5~

I would reccomend this bike to anyone that enjoys all types of riding, or hasn't decided what is there favorite style yet. It's a great bike for beginners, and with a price of $500, I'm happy about my purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Great for lots of trails.

Purchased At:   CyclePath

Bike Setup:   Stock 2009 Model

Future Upgrades: New brakes.

Submitted by Trillio a Downhiller from Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    super tough bike, everything from brakes, tires/rims, frame, crank and pedals are industructable seems... Great for all skill levels and styles.

Weaknesses:    Rear derailer gets beatin around allot, but same for any bike Ive found, needs a bit of repair and adjustment from time to time.

Bottom Line:
    Yea, like the other reviews say, this bike goes through stuff that other bikes would simply fall apart attempting. Good in all situations from street to crazy mountain fun and everything in between, I've even bunny hopped 2 foot curbs with ease. Cant tell how many times this bike suprised me by not breaking from bouncing down the side of a mountain next to me after a bail. All in all its a little tank, you cant hurt it, best hardtail I have ever owned, get one.

Favorite Trail:   all of Banff Alberta

Purchased At:   Mountain Magic equip

Similar Products Used:   mongoose, Ellsworth company bikes, and many department store bikes that last about a week lol

Bike Setup:   Totally stock and luvvin it

Submitted by Steve the dog a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2009

Strengths:    stong & sturdy frame, rims, everything. can take a good beating and still hold together.

Weaknesses:    gears don't like life. I have to keep rapairing them. (I'm not working them hard too...I think)

Bottom Line:
    I've rode through rivers (fresh and sea) with water up to my waist, meaning that the bike was pritty much gone! Done good jumps on it with it still holding together, and exellent for a good cheap bike.
    other than the gears, awesome bike for roads as well as bush, coz I will do about 100kms on road each week. If your going to pay the same or less for something else...DON'T! save if needed and get your hands on a bike that IS really reliable and supported by the great brand, NORCO!
    P.S its this good and it is 2nd hand!

Favorite Trail:   muddy bush area right on a creek full of mangroves & riding 14km to school everyday.

Purchased At:   small 2nd hand bike

Similar Products Used:   nothing, I just watch how my mates bikes that are like this fall apart! (mongoose & GT)

Bike Setup:   almost tank like

Submitted by dendrite a Cross Country Rider from calgary

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2008

Strengths:    strong frame, breaks, shifter, tires.

Weaknesses:    seat, petals (i find them a little flimsy) The fork is a tad soft but not bad.

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is its a very good bike, i ride about 4 hours a day. I take it on rougher trails and it holds up well, i also do about 3 foot drops and i haven't had any issues with it. The fork is a bit soft i find, but i can never feel it bottom out when riding. The breaks are a little noisy but who cares they work great. This is an excellent bike for someone who likes screwing around on everything from rocks to single rail dirt tracks, it takes a beating but keeps going.

Purchased At:   bow cycle

Similar Products Used:   forget the name of it (not a good bike)

Bike Setup:   2008 bushpilot, totally stock

Submitted by reid mcmorris a Weekend Warrior from Abbotsford B.c.

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2007

Strengths:    Good frame and discs

Weaknesses:    seat,pedals forks

Bottom Line:
    It's great for anything you do. I know the frame isn't meant for it but i dj with it lol. I'd suggest for pretty much any type of riding except downhill

Favorite Trail:   Ledgeview

Purchased At:   maple ridge cycle

Similar Products Used:   norco katmandu,norco wolverine

Bike Setup:   2006 bushpilot,marzocchi dj pros, platform pedals, dj seat

Submitted by Robert Godfrey from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    Mechanical Disk brakes, shifts well, comfortable ride, a good climber, strong frame

Weaknesses:    front fork pretty soft

Bottom Line:
    I have had this bike for approx 1.5 months and have logged over 640km with it. I am a novice rider who rides on rail bed trail, city roads and moderate trails. The bike is comfortable and easy shifting in all aspects.
    It is a great entry level in this sport and I look forward to driving it a full season

Favorite Trail:   Beechville-Lakeside-Timberlea

Purchased At:   Sportswheels

Bike Setup:   stock 2007 model

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from St. John's, NL, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    Disk brakes and the shifters.

Weaknesses:    fork....of course this could be due to my....ummmm....girth ;-)

Bottom Line:
    Being a total newbie...hadn't ridden a bike in about 18 years...I'm thrilled with my purchase. I use the bike for trail/fitness riding only so it suits my purposes.

I'm a heavier rider (6', 250lbs) and I find that the front suspension is always a little compressed. Not sure if this is normal or not as this is my first bike. For my weight the brakes are fantastic and I've had no issues stopping at all. Also, the frame feels very well built and I've had no worries when I've tried going over rougher trails.

Everything feels really solid when riding and gear shifts are really easier. I've learned to take a little pressure off peddling when making a gear change to avoid 'grinding'.

The seat could be a little more comfortable and I may look to upgrade. I find that I experience a little numbness in my....seat area...after riding only 30-45 minutes.

Overall...I think this is a fantastic bike for the beginner who wants to get into biking without spending a lot of loot. For my purposes it goes above and beyond....right now I can't see why I would want/need to upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   T'railway in Paradise, Mt. Pearl, St. John's

Purchased At:   Bill's Cycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   None....total noob.

Bike Setup:   stock....2007 Bushpilot...silver...disk brakes.

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2006

Strengths:    Reliable all rounder. Hasn't given me any issues other than the tektro brakes. Gear shifts are always easy and reliable.

Weaknesses:    Brakes noisy and poor stopping power. Saddle not that comfortable for me.

Bottom Line:
    i'm very happy with this bike which I use for commuting and taking for rides with my 3 year old. For this purpose it works great. it's a good all rounder and has never given me any mechanical problems.

I wasn't happy with the tektro v-brakes. They were noisy as hell and didn't stop me very well. I upgraded to AVid Single Digit 7's and they are like chalk and cheese.

I also replaced the headstem and handlebars so the bike was configured more like a road bike than a mountain bike as I commute to work with it. Ideally I should have got a road bike, but i needed a mountain bike to get my child seat onto it.

other than that it's a great bike for the money and i'm happy with it. REally, the only thing that needed to be done was perhaps change the brake pads and that would have been it.

Purchased At:   Cycle Science

Similar Products Used:   none. my first bike in 15 years

Bike Setup:   Norco Bushpilot 2004. Standard items : shimano alivio front derailleur, deore rear derailleur.
    Upgraded parts : Mongoose headstem, trans X straight handlebar, avid sd7 v brakes, GEAX Straight runner

Submitted by heey heyHEY a Racer from HEY

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    THE BEST BIKE

Weaknesses:    BEST BIKE

Bottom Line:
    BEST BIKE

Favorite Trail:   HEY

Purchased At:   ?

Similar Products Used:   BEST BIKE

Bike Setup:   BEST BIKE

Submitted by gogx a Weekend Warrior from croatia

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Strengths:    I have model 2006.all round bike.

Weaknesses:    rims

Bottom Line:
    For price you pay, great choice.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2006

Strengths:    It's a fast bike, nice setup, decent climber, pretty decent for the class it's in.

Weaknesses:    The saddle, can't seem to get it adjusted quite right, the brakes (but V-brakes are not great in general), pedals.

Bottom Line:
    A good basic bike, if you plan on doing some light to moderate trail use. Rode once on snow, and that was fine too. If you plan on doing extreme stuff, then pass, but you would pass on most bikes in this category.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills