Motobecane Fly Team XC Hardtail

• Avid SD7 Brakes and Levers
  • M-Wings Team Issue Wheelset

Submitted by htcltd a Racer from Nelson, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2011

Strengths:    This is excellent value for money. A very light bike (sub 20 lbs) with a titanium frame and excellent components. Rides great.

Weaknesses:    To keep the cost down they didn't use Shimano chain/hub so shifting isn't as good as it should be.

Bottom Line:
This is probably the most bike for the buck you can find anywhere. Compared with other $2500 bikes you get top of the line components, a great frame and one very light bike. I used it on the Tour Divide race and had no problems at all.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Marin

Submitted by hanzo111 a Cross Country Rider from Bethesda MD

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2011

Strengths:    First off I was amazed by the welds! and then the price, The way the frame is built i would really expect it to cost 3 times as much. The components are excellent.

Weaknesses:    I really don't see any weaknesses, it climbs like mad and with the Avid ultimate brakes it stops very well although these brakes need to be bled every 25 hard miles.
The FSA crank is great but the chain rings dont hold up to well.

Bottom Line:
I must say I was worried about the low cost of these bikes, But I would not hesitate to buy another. I know quality when I see it; I own an IF single speed and I don't mind spending the $$ if I need to but in this case I am way beyond words for the value this bike represents.

5 chillies all the way, Ferrari at the price of a Honda

Favorite Trail:   Seneca park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   NONE! My first Ti bike, My last hard tail front suspension bike was my old Diamond back chromoly frame that lasted me years when i was poor.

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of the following:
2 Zipps carbon bottle cages
Cates eye computer

Submitted by DS a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    Very lightweight, best components on any bike I saw in the $2000 price range.

Weaknesses:    Handlebar way too narrow, unless you want to use the bike for dispatch riding.

Bottom Line:
Just got this bike and have only taken it for a couple of rides, so these comments are preliminary. Setting the bike up was easy. I quickly realised that the stock stem and handlebar would have to be replaced with longer, wider versions, but once that was done the bike fitted me just right (I am 5'11 and have the 18" frame). I have only ridden the bike on hard-packed, dry trails so far, and have the impression that those are what it will handle best. It is very, very fast on the climbs and feels so efficient that the experience of pushing up the hills is almost road-bike-like. The XTR componetry works superbly, as you would expect. And the Rock Shock SID RLT fork does a great job of soaking up the bumps, as well as being a breeze to adjust on the fly. The narrow, thin, low-profile tires made me a bit nervous at first, but so far they have held up and grip surprising well on the sandy, rocky sections of the dry trails I've ridden on. I'm going to stick with my FS bike for the more rugged rides, but expect to have a lot more fun with this bike for the tamer cross-country excursions.

Favorite Trail:   Strawberry Peak

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Rock Lobster Team Tig SL, plus a bunch of other bikes over the years.

Bike Setup:   As supplied, except that I put a longer stem and a carbon riser bar on it.

Submitted by Rocket Richard a Racer from Lafayette

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2010

Strengths:    The best bang for your buc out there. Extremely light and stiff. Climbs like a mountain goat. Thinking I was climbing at a moderate pace; downshifted and stood up - passing everyone up like nothing.

Weaknesses:    Came with a defective rear XTR 10spd shifter. Replaced quickly buy shimano and bikes direct. I've read that everyone gets pinch flats with the Klimax tires. Not so on my end; just lighten the rear end when you see stumps. Brakes making a little crunchy noise after a while; kind of annoying and nerve racking. Also read that the 28 rear cassette did not make sense - I call BS; you don't need that big of a ring with this light weight steed. You don't deserve this bike if you need anything gear larger than a 28.

Bottom Line:
FLY TI Team 26 inch. I'm getting off of a 08 FSR Xc Pro - basically a tank. This thing is a pure race machine. Middle ring all the way out of the saddle able to easily carry momentum over the next hill. This thing begs to go fast. Now downhill is a different story. this requires a lot more concentration. Extremely light means extremely squirmy. I am 180 and you have to watch for bumps not to pinch flat these light thin wall tires. I ran 35 psi with no issues and had OK grip ability. You will not regret this purchase; the bike is FRIGGIN AWESOME!

Favorite Trail:   Kincaid Lake

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stumpjumper hard tail. Specialized FSR Xc Pro.

Bike Setup:   XTR 10 speed - FSA cranks - Ritchey seat, post, stem, and bars. Vuelta SL wheels, Klimax tires.

Submitted by iwantalitebike a Weekend Warrior from roscoe il usa

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    super lite, very high quality, comfortable to ride from road rides to extreme climbing to awesome downhills.

Weaknesses:    its a hardtail, well thats what i bought so no weaknesses!!

Bottom Line:
this was a new build with a few old parts from the old bike, and i love the frame. It was a steal on ebay. A nice combination of lite weight and rigidity. I woulf highly recommend this to anyone and it has never let me down. A++++ frame with A++++ quality. Get yours today

Favorite Trail:   leves

Purchased At:   ebay(frame&fork only

Similar Products Used:   hard to compare, nothing is as lite as far as i know

Bike Setup:   fly team, sid fork, avid elixur cr, truvativ crank, thomson stem & seapost, fsa carbon bar, wtb wheelset, kenda karma sram x9 shifter, x9 fd, x7 rd, cb eggbeaters

Submitted by deschedr a Cross Country Rider from Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2009

Strengths:    Price, Frame, Avid Elixr Brakes, KMC Chain, Ritchey grips, Rockshox Sid.

Weaknesses:    Kenda Klimax tires only good for hardpack. Saddle sucks (not comfortable and you slip on the seat).

Bottom Line:
Have ridden 800+ miles and done 3 XC races on this bike. The bike has performed well. No issues other than the seat was slipping in the seat post. Put some loctite on the rails and it's held up fine. Using Ghetto setup for the tires. This is a very good hardtail for XC racing. You can't beat the price. I plan to use this bike for the 2010 Cape Epic race in South Africa.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Multiple MTBs

Bike Setup:   Stock except: added XT Pedals, replaced saddle with Fizik Gobi,replaced cass with XT 11-32T, replaced tires with Kenda Nevegals.

Submitted by fender1983 a Weekend Warrior from Detroit, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast, affordable.

Weaknesses:    I would suggest to change 11-27 cassette if you heavy rider and ride singletracks..

Bottom Line:
Great bike for it's money. I went to stores, but I cound find any bike with XTR components that cost less then $2000. I had this bike since June and never had any problems. I am heavy rider and bike seems to be pretty strong.

Favorite Trail:   Stoney Creek

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane Fantom Elite

Bike Setup:   XTR drivetrain, SID race for, Juicy Carbon brakes, Vuelta XRP wheel, FSA carbon crank

Submitted by trapper a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, strong frame (for weight), Excellent components, Great climbing machine.

Weaknesses:    For me it is the Rapid Fire shifters - I prefer grip shifts.
Also, the RockShox SID Race is a bit light duty for me. Might need to upgrade to a Reba.

Bottom Line:
Price being a huge factor the value flag goes way way up on this bike. The bike along with bikesdirect.com have me smiling ear to ear. I expected to find the bike assembled with all kinds of mistakes but, I had my mechanic friend look it over and he was impressed how well they set it up.

I am coming from a heavy FS bike which I have been riding and racing for 5 years. I consider myself a good climber and by far that is my strength. On this bike I am insane on the climbing. I look forward to steep technical angled climbs. Even with the Kenda Lite tires I have been riding everything. *The Kenda Lite tires are sketchy and takes some getting used to - but once mastered my skills on balancing on them and controlling the skidding etc. has made me faster.

As much as I love this racing machine - There will be a race or 2 that I will take out my FS and race on the uber technical sharp rock garden single with track 2 foot roots .

Favorite Trail:   Levis Mound

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   KHS, k2, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Fork RockShox SID Race - 80mm travel Pure Delite Dual Air suspension with External rebound adjust
Crankset FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue Integrated spindle 22/32/44T
Hubs Black Anodized Vuelta XRP Team Edition, Precison Bearing with QR
Spokes Round Double Butted Stainless steel black finish with alloy nipples
Rims Vuleta XRP Team SuperLite Disc, doublewall aluminum/eyelets
Tires Kenda Klimax Lite 26 x 1.95 Kevlar, presta valve tubes
Brakes Avid Juicy Carbon, 160mm rotor 6 bolt IS mount (standard) (V-Brake Bosses NOT Included)
Brake Levers Avid Juicy Carbon
Saddle Skye Turbo saddle Crn/Ti rails
Seat Post Ritchey WCS Aluminum 27.2x350mm

Submitted by Rick Moore a Cross Country Rider from Iron Mountain, MI

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2007

Strengths:    Super light weight, great component spec, great value!

Weaknesses:    None yet!

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Bike took about 30 minutes to get it set up. Once dialed in I have not had any problems. I have about 1,000 miles on the bike so far, bike weighed in at 20.8 LBs with the egg beaters. XTR and Avid are very good! Wheels are Vuelta and have held up very well. A great deal!

Favorite Trail:   Fumee

Similar Products Used:   Specialize, GT, Trek, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Twister Supersonic tires, Egg Beater Pedals, and Cane Creek Thudbuster ST Seatpost

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Escondido

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Strengths:    Price,Price,Price.After 3 weeks of intense research I had to buy this Team Fly bike. All components are at high end with nothing close to it for another $1000 bucks.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet. Still works like new.

Bottom Line:
Great Valve with great components. Avid Juicy Carbon breaks,
Shimano XTR,RockShox SID Race,FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue crank. The list is large. Go to the web site and check it out. I have been on the bike for about 400 hrs with no major issues.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Old Haro.

Bike Setup:   All stock except some egg beaters.

Submitted by Steve Sohn a Weekend Warrior from Fountain Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2007

Strengths:    This bike is an amazing value. After checking many places, there was NO other hardtail bike that came with the XTR front and rear derailers, XTR trigger shifters, Avid Juicy Carbon DISC brakes and FSA Carbon Team Issue cranks - All for $1600. A very fast and light bike that I would recommend to anyone. Most of my impression on this bike has been from riding on asphalt (bike routes along the beach where I live).

Weaknesses:    The bike comes 90 percent assembled at the factory but you will want to have someone competent with bikes to check over the assembly. My bike showed up with a loose bottom bracket and rear disk brake line was not completely routed correctly to the rear brakes. The brake and derailer housing was also a bit on on long side. Besides these minor weaknesses, the bike exhibited no other weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
One of the best deals on a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   any routes along the beach

Similar Products Used:   Kestrel Talon (road bike), GT Avalanche, GT LTS-5

Bike Setup:   Stock except for USE Alien carbon seat post and carbon handlebar.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Seville, Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2006

Strengths:    Purchased as frameset w/fork(SID), headset(FSA), stem and seatpost(MotoWings). A superlite, solid, non flexing frame, that has excellent geometry for singletrack xc trail riding. It truly flies and handles so sweet at any speed!

Weaknesses:    Aluminum frame, some jolts from rear wheel truly spine jarring, spend more time up on pedals than with a steel frame. SID Race fork, I'm probaly to heavy, 260 lb over the road trucker, fork compresses excessively at bottom of steep downhills, havent been able to get it dialed in for this 1 issue, probaly go to suspension corrected rigid fork. MotoWings stem and post very light and adequate, but replaced with Thompson Elite because of my weight.

Bottom Line:
Was very intrigued by the other reviews posted about this product, but concerned about the lightness and durability of components on complete bike as it was offered. I am also not a big fan of Shimano. Because of these issues i elected to buy the frameset and do my own build. I have to say I am very happy with the results. They got the geometry dead on perfect for the type of riding i enjoy, slow to fast twisting turning single track on clay with roots and trees spaced handlebar width apart. I weigh 260 lbs, and while i dont do any big drops or jumps, I dont see how i'd ever hurt this frame, quality tubing(Kinesium), absolutely beautiful welds, and deep pearly blue paint. The fork(RockShox SID Race) is a different matter, it is simply adequate, not a outstanding performer. Have worked very hard at getting it "dialed in". Works great on rolling flats and log jumps, pur e terror at bottom of steep hills at speed when it compresses excessively and bikes geometry changes.

Favorite Trail:   Thorn Trail, Finley State Park

Purchased At:   Bikes For Less

Similar Products Used:   Early 80's homebrew MTB on Schwinn Supersport frame, early Tange MTB fork, Mafac tandem canti's, Nervar road bike alloy crank mounted in OMAS BB shell adapter, Suntour Perfect 34 tooth freewheel, Normandy hubs, Arraya alloy rims, Union straight gauge spokes, Atom alloy pedals, Suntour barends, Huret derailluers, SR stem/post, Walmart knobbies.

Bike Setup:   Full SRAM X0 drive train w/grip shifters, Avid SD7 brakes, Thomson Elite stem/post, Brooks B17 Special titanium saddle, Raceface Evolve X-Type cranks, Raceface riser bars, Yeti lockon grips, XT/Mavic wheelset, IRC Mythos XC Slicks, Blackburn MTN rack.

Submitted by K-Lo a Cross Country Rider from Newport Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    The components are amazing for the price: Full XTR / FSA Crankset, SID RACE fork, FSA headset, AVID 7 digit brakes..... when you put it all together it is a super light racer..... One of the best features: The Motobecane Decals PEEL RIGHT OFF!!!.... just take a hair dryer to the stickers and peel them off. Not to hate on Motobecane..... but I love the look of a clean Mountain Bike (or any bike) with no decals. The Blue is very nice..... once you peel off the decals the look of the bike with all of the high end components is DREAMY....

Weaknesses:    I haven't seen a weakness yet. The stock tires are thin, but awesome for speed. The largest tooth on the rear is 27.... with the thiner tires this is ideal for me.... this is a XC racer.... if you want a 34 tooth in the rear you might as well put the bike on your shoulder and run with it up a hill, it would be faster.... I'm not trying to be macho... if you want to put thicker tires on it maybe a cog larger than 27 in the rear would be nice.... I haven't tried thicker tires.

Bottom Line:
I'm so happy with this bike. The components are SWEET and it is so light......I was going to get it powder coated, but now that I realized I could peel off the decals I'm not.
$1600, Full XTR, FSA carbon crank, SID RACE fork.... you do the math.... I would give it 6 chilis for value if I could. How much do you have to spend to get a hard tail Trek with XTR??? We're talking $1600, amazing.

Favorite Trail:   Alisio Viejo