Motobecane Fantom Pro Ti XC Hardtail

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)

Frame: Titanium 3AL/2.5V Butted and Geometric Multishaped tubes, 2xH2O Bosses, S-Bend seatstays Fork: Rockshox SID RACE 100mm Fork with LockOut

Motobecane Fantom Pro Ti XC Hardtail Pro Review

We’ll come right out and say it: For a majority of the MBT test crew, aspirations of a cross country championship have waved goodbye to us long ago thanks to a steady diet of frozen burritos and café lattes. However, make no mistake, when a bike as light and able-bodied as the Motobecane Fantom Pro Titanium blows through our office we stop what we’re doing to take note. And with good reason- just how light are we talking here? 23 pounds with pedals. Continue reading →

Submitted by flyin200ln

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2013

Strengths:    Ti frame, Scram X9, Great geometry

Weaknesses:    27.2 seatpost.

Bottom Line:
I bought two of these, one for myself and the other for my wife. We are decent riders that ride about 1000 miles a year on intermediate level trails. I cant believe how great these bikes are, smooth. I would buy them all over again. Bought my son a regular 29er fantom and its a quality bike as well.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek, GT

Bike Setup:   Replaced grips with biocork ergon grips, added a WTB saddle, and plan to go with a Thomson seat post soon.

Submitted by Arni Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Miami Florida

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2011

Strengths:    Frame, all the quality accessories, and components.

Weaknesses:    The seat is a little bit turkish, and the Elixier CR Hydrulic Brakes took me awhile to get the bugs out.
Avid bleeder kit, and adj learned from YouTube.

Bottom Line:
No question you can't touch this bike in price and quality from anyone. The frame welding (Tit.) is of aerospace quality. I can pump up the Kendras to 65PSI and ride with the street boys, that pisses them off seeing a hard tail in the pack. Street or Trail this bike performs. All the quality SCRAM Forks, Brakes (Great now), and detail are more than I expected. What a beauitiful piece of art.

Favorite Trail:   Key Biscayne

Purchased At:   Bikes Diresct

Similar Products Used:   Trek, absolutely the best. Put 35000 miles on my 4300 with
two flats in all those years.

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom Pro Ti Elixier CR brakes, see Bikes Direct for particulars. Great Value.

Submitted by JJTX a Weekend Warrior from Canyon Lake, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2011

Strengths:    Frame, Shock, Wheels, Cranks

Weaknesses:    Handlebar, Stem, Grips, Tires, Seat, Seatpost

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best value for a brand new Ti bike. It performs beyond expectations. I decided to go back to a hard tail after riding full suspensions for over 6 years. It was a bit painful at first, but the Ti definitely kicked in some flex to help with the adjustment. This bike seems to draw you into higher speeds. It's extremely light. The wheels and shock are holding up just fine. I'm 200lbs and I ride pretty hard through rock gardens. The wheels are still as true as when I got the bike. Get one before they're gone!

Favorite Trail:   Madrone

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Marin Attack Trail, K2 Zed, Tomac Eli

Bike Setup:   Stock, but replacing tires

Submitted by newfydog a Cross Country Rider from Bend Oregon

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic frame---Double butted, individually shaped tubes. Lots of well thought out details in it. Came with 2.35 small block 8 tires rather than something cheaper and lighter.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars too wide for frame size, ugly decals and gloss coat

Bottom Line:
I bought this for my wife. She has been on the same Moongoose Ti bike for 12 years, and from time to time tries other bikes, but won't use them.

This bike convinced her to send the old Mongoose to the vacation house. It is lighter and springier. She is bombing descents, leaving friends on FS bike behind. The bike arrived fast, in good tune, and the Vuelta wheels are holding up just fine. This is the bike for the next 12 years.

Did I mention it cost half of what a comparable bike goes for? Saved enough for a ticket to Europe.

Favorite Trail:   Camino Santiago

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Moongoose ti, Bridgestone MB-1, some GT fs thing

Bike Setup:   stock except for 12-36 cassette

Submitted by USAF a Weekend Warrior from Iron River, WI

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2010

Strengths:    EVERYTHING! Very light, awesome ride, forgiving on the trail. Components are very good for the price of this bike.

Weaknesses:    Too many decals on the wheelset. Removed those easily.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding bikes for most of my 48 years and this is a bike that has value like you can't imagine. Awesome frame and good components which I have now upgraded. I raced this bike in the Chequamegon 40 and it was an awesome ride. With my new components I have this bike under 20 # and this is a 20" bike. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone without a doubt.

Favorite Trail:   Chequamegon 40 Course

Submitted by penca_azul a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, Colorado US

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    The Titanium frame, light weight, good selection of parts, and attractive price. Durability of titanium was a huge bonus. Smooth ride. The gearing (11-34 in back, 22,32,42 in front) is perfect for living here in CO.
My brakes turned out to be Avid Elixir CR which looks really nice.

Weaknesses:    The saddle is very light, has titanium rails, and nice looking. But I found it very uncomfortable. I swapped mine for WTB Rocket V Pro SE Saddle. The Kevlar covering looks great with the Ti frame. I plan to save the original saddle in case I want to put it back on for an important group ride or event.
The handle bar is OK, but I will replace it soon.
I do not like the grips. I will use them until they look worn and then replace them.
Since I bought it from BD, I ordered two extra derailleur hangers right away. It has been my experience that they can be hard to get after a few years have gone by if the bike is not a well known brand.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! If this is generic – sign me up!

I would recommend a Titanium bike from Motobecane to anyone looking for a durable light weight bike. The frame is clean and great looking. The bike is very light. And the parts group is very good overall.

I also the think the Rock Shox SID matches the bike nicely.

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Various aluminum and steel hard tails.

Bike Setup:   Changed saddle to WTB Rocket V Pro SE Saddle. Added black water bottle cages and platform pedals.

Submitted by Stonerider a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2009

Strengths:    titanium frame, price, components

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
For the price you can't find another titanium frame with these components. I whipped out the credit card and within the week UPS guy was delivering the bike to me. It took me about an hour to put everthing together. The frame is absolutely beautiful. I looking forward to many years with this frame.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   trek 4300

Bike Setup:   stock, xt rear derailleur, slx shifters and front derailleur, ritchie seatpost, stem, and flat bar, avid juicy seven brakes, vuelta wheels, kenda small block 8 tires

Submitted by mtbhowie a Cross Country Rider from Philly, PA USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2009

Strengths:    I have been riding this bike for about a year now. Before this purchase I'd been riding FS for 8+ years so going hard tail again was all about weight for me. The price for this bike with the components made this an incredible offer. Fork is very sweet and the wheel set is still relatively true after about a year of fat ass riding (I’m about 210 lbs. so I can punish wheel sets). Over-all I’m very happy with the bike. Handles really well on the trail, I too replaced the straight bars for some Ritchey risers (big improvement). Could I race this bike, probably not, but it’s perfect for the recreational riding I do and very comfy for a HT. Love the 2.35 tires and with risers and cook bros. pedals weight still comes in at 24lbs. (I doubt it ever weighed 22.5 like they claimed, but I’m ok with it). Frame must be stiff cause I don’t notice any flex and like I said I’m a Clydesdale.
Good buy – you bet. Oh, but just took the first really major fall and broke the rear derailleur hanger off! BD has replacements @ $20.99 (seems like a lot) but what a hassle. I fell right on it so I doubt any hanger would have survived. Better the hanger than the frame.

Weaknesses:    flat bar puts you in a bad position replace right away. I would have preferred a longer top tube, but geometry is the same as some Giants so it must be somewhat common. Oh and grips sucks.

Bottom Line:
For the money, this bike is cool. The parts package alone is probably 1400.00 of the 1650 charged. Plus i got free shipping and didn't have to deal with the lame shop guys.

If you're going to buy a bike online know you're giving something up. you cannot go back if there's a small creek, or you don't like something. These bikes come "partially" assembled. You should be ready to wrench some stuff on your own, and take some of the little annoyances that may come up. Full hydraulic breaks, a 100m SID race fork, very capable parts package like you'd find on $2k+ bikes, and full (high quality) Ti frame are what you're getting so take the extra cash and shut up.

Favorite Trail:   Birthday Trail (SM Calif.)

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   (HT's) Kona Hei-Hei; Klein Pulse; Supergo ALU.
(FS's) Specialized Comp FSR; Santa Cruz Superlight; Turner

Bike Setup:   Basically stock, but Ritchey Riser bar replaced the stock flat bar. Cook Bros. egg beater pedals. I removed the frame decals and polished the top, head and down tube so it look cool, and no one knows it's a "moto'pain" discount bike.

Submitted by noibs a Cross Country Rider from Southwestern, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    I've owned two other ti-frame mountain bikes. One was a Litespeed and the other an Airborne. The Fantom Pro ti frame is better than both. The welds are excellent. The triangle-shaped downtube (for better rigidity) and the slight S-bend seatstays are things you would expect from an elite ti frame manufacturer.

The frame geometry is pretty standard for a hardtail today. Compared to bikes a decade ago, the length of the top tube is a little shorter (which I prefer).

The stock tires (Kenda Small Block 8's, 2.35x26) are a great choice for a hardtail. The large air volume helps the lack of rear suspension and the overall traction is good with 20-25 pounds of pressure. They have low rolling resistance as well.

Weaknesses:    I ride cross country. The frame can accomodate a really wide tire in the back. As a result, the chainstays are wider than you normally find on a cross country MB. It's easy to keep clicking your heels against the chainstays if you use clipless pedals with float in both directions.

The chain sucks. I had no plans to be stranded 20 miles form home, so I immediately replaced it with an SRAM PC991 cross-step chain. Bikes Direct likes to talk bike weight for its higher-end bikes. As a result, they use chains that are light but which can't be trusted (in my opinion).

It comes with a fairly heavy 11-34 cassette. Bikes Direct is always being criticized for putting Ultegra 12-27 cassettes on all of its "Fly" bikes; however, I would have preferred the 12-27. That's trivial.

Bottom Line:
A good or bad hardtail is the sum of the frame, fork and parts. The ti frame is quite good and the parts kit is incredible for a $1700 ti bike. The Rockshox SID Race in 100mm is a great choice for this bike.

The wheels are Vuelta XRP Pro Superlight--second to the Team Superlight. The claimed weight is about 1800 grams, which makes them just a bit lighter than Mavic 717's, Shimano XT hubs and DT 2.0/1.8 spokes. The wheels came prefectly true and I'll report back in a few months regarding their durability. They are very smooth right now.

But...even without wheels, the $1700 price is fantastic. At some point I'll probably replace the wheels with a 1500 gram set from Bicycle Wheels Warehouse even if the stock wheels are fine.

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Tocoa and Airborne Lucky Strike.

Bike Setup:   Standard parts kit for the Fantom Ti Pro except: Thomson seatpost, WTB Laser V Pro saddle (light but more padding than the one that came with the bike), Titec Pluto Carbon stem, Easton Monkeylite SL low riser bars, SRAM PC991 chain.

Submitted by eujinc a Cross Country Rider from Ellicott City, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs like a crazed mountain goat. Handles technical trails well and very efficient in smooth singletracks. A very light and strong bike. I have clocked about 450 miles so far and loving every moment of it. Ordering the bike through bikesdirect had been very easy. The service and responses have been good.

Weaknesses:    Unlike the MTBR review which indicated that the handlebar was a riser bar, the production version of this bike came with a Ritchey Comp flat handlebar. I found that the bar was too narrow and made the bike very fidgety in technical trails.

Replacing the bar with a Ritchey riser bar added almost 4" to the length and increased the back sweep from 5 deg to 9 deg. This new bar made the bike more stable in rocky and technical ascends, and much more comfortable in long rides.

The Small Block 8s tires that came with the bike were only good for dry, hard packed surfaces and are not ideal for
all-season East Coast riding. I replaced them with Panaracers Smoke and Dart and what a huge improvement that made especially in mud, snow, ice, slippery roots and rocks.

Bottom Line:
Can't beat the price for a strong, light, great handling, complete Titanium frame bike with very decent components.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper HT.

Bike Setup:   Replaced the following components:
- Ritchey Comp flat bar with a Ritchey WCS Carbon Rizer Bar
- Kenda Small Block 8s (26 x 2.35) with Panaracers Smoke & Dart (26 x 2.1)
- Big 42T chain ring with a BBG bashguard
- Shimano M520 clipless pedals

The following components are stock:
Fork - Rockshox SID RACE 100mm
Saddle - Skye Turbo saddle Crn/Ti rails
Seat Post - Ritchey Aluminum 31.6x350mm
Seat Post Clamp - Super Light Polished Aluminum

Fantom pro Ti B-29er

I had seen an article on MTB review someone wrote up about converting to a B-29er and said they liked it. I decided to give it a try and what luck!, I went on ebay and found a Stan's crest 650b rear wheel with a nice Kenda karma tire and a M970 ti cassette for $250 ........perfect! I was able to tur ... Read More »

Just got a Fantom Cross Pro Ti

And I figured I'd post my impressions coming from a MTBers point of view. First off bikesdirect. I was a little leery of buying from them based on some internet reviews, flame wars, etc... However there are also plenty of good reviews. I figured the truth was in the middle and that's pretty much wha ... Read More »

Fantom 29 Pro Ti Geometry

I am planning on buying a Fantom 29 Ti when more become available, I like the trail setup with the thru axle Reba. But, the geometry page seems way off, does the bike really have a 651.9mm effective top tube in an XL size? That is almost a half inch longer than the Fly Ti frame, which seems strang ... Read More »

Bikes Direct no longer offers the Fantom Pro Ti?

Anyone know why the Fantom Pro Ti is no longer available? Were there issues that caused this discontinuation? I have one and it's an awesome ride.Read More »

motobecane fantom pro ti sizing

i'm considering motobecane fantom pro ti: [url]http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fpti_09x.htm[/url] it's been over 10 years since i had a mountain bike and i'm having problem figuring out what size would be the best fit for me. i am 5'9" with relatively short arms and legs (31"). ... Read More »