Motobecane 600HT XC Hardtail

• ALEX Black-Ano Aluminum Double Wall rims with Machined Sidewalls
  • M-Wings CompDisc hubs

Submitted by mistahman

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    price, relatively good components, weight

Weaknesses:    bottom bracket blew out after 2 months

Bottom Line:
Bought this from Bikes Direct 2 days before the price dropped from $450 to $360. However, it was still a very good deal at the price I paid. I'm 5'8" but I decided to go with the 17" rather than the 19". I'm very happy I did, as it seems much easier to handle and move in the air. Also, mine came with a dart 2, which was not what was advertised, but I'm not complaining. My only problem is that, after 2 months of moderate riding, my bottom bracket went. (I'm only 135lb) However, after contacting BD, they sent me a new Shimano bottom bracket. (which was a vast improvement over the Truvativ) This might not be the best hardtail on the market, but it's a very solid bike and it's a blast to ride. Will out-climb my friend's $1,000 Specialized Rockhopper any day of the week, it seems to stick to the trail very well.

Submitted by buryurfear14 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Solid components for a budget bike! Got mine for $499!

Weaknesses:    Brakes are weak, right shock on my fork blew out (stripped out the threads on the lockout side) on a drop. Probably pushed it past its limit to be fair though. Rockshox warrantied it through my LBS.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I didn't expect a whole lot from a $500 bike but it has exceeded my expectations. The only bad thing about the bike are the brakes. They have never failed to slow me down or anything, but I for sure get on them a little early just in case. If you can find it @ $500, buy it and don't turn back! If your looking for a budget bike, anyone, any talent. This bike is sweet! Before the Motobecane, I rode a $2k full suspension until it was stolen.

Favorite Trail:   Vortex, Santo's TH, FL

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn supermatic, Iron Horse MKIII Comp.

Bike Setup:   RockShox Dart2 fork, shimano drivetrain.

Submitted by Gary Korbar a Downhiller from Gowanda NY

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2011

Strengths:    Everything.....Im a big guy and when I ride, I ride hard. Its very durable and the disc brakes are great.

Weaknesses:    Im not experienced. Had a Trek when I was younger and I would take the Motobecane any day.

Bottom Line:
I have not had a single problem with this bike. I'm 6'1" 240lbs and I ride in some pretty rough areas. Im no expert but I cant see how anyone could complain about this bike. I'm sure a competative expert probably would find faults but I just enjoy the woods, hit some hard bursts for cardio and try not to fall too often. I stop and do pushup reps and my Dobie runs with me. This bike has not let me down once. I love it!

Favorite Trail:   Zoar Valley

Similar Products Used:   Had a Trek when younger and it was also a good bike but bicycles have come a long way in 20 yrs.

Bike Setup:   Stock.I put it together in my livingroom. Not too difficult.

Submitted by akamarcus a Weekend Warrior from Provo

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    Very light. Sweet components for the price - way more than you'll get with other fancy-name bikes. Tires are amazing, shifters and rear deraileur are great.

Weaknesses:    Although disc brakes, they are low end - they sure do their job, though. Stock pedals are lame - tore up my shins big time without even crashing.

Bottom Line:
Motobecane provides awesome bikes for the price. The frame is very strong, and it provides an extremely smooth ride. Climbing is easy on this hardtail. Fork is decent off of moderate drops. Get this bike if you're a beginner - the price won't kill you but it's got great mid-level components. This will definitely get the job done for people who ride only occasionally or who are just starting out.

Favorite Trail:   Utah

Purchased At:   KSL Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   N/A - this is my first real mountain bike

Bike Setup:   All stock except for pedals - replaced lame ones ("ATB Beartrap") with Diamondback BMX platforms (these are awesome!) for $16 on Amazon.

Submitted by BigM a Cross Country Rider from Cypress, TX

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2010

Strengths:    Strong frame, good components for the price

Weaknesses:    Dart 1 fork. Is okay for lighter riders who don't jump.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike, especially for the price. I Replaced the Dart 1 fork with a Dart 3 w/poplock, the LX SGS derailleur w/ an XT GS and removed 1 link from the chain, now the shifting is much sharper. I replaced the Tektro brake levers w/ Avid FR5, as the Tektro levers would flex and the Avid do not. The IO's stop great now, even carrying my 225 lbs. The Speed V saddle was somewhat wide and was replaced by a Pure V.
I saw no reason to buy a Trek or Specialized and spend 3 to 400 dollars more for the same components.
You make the call.

You make the call.

Favorite Trail:   Hill Country

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   DiamondBack

Submitted by practically.invincible a Cross Country Rider from Ft Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2010

Strengths:    Great bike for someone who does their own wrenching/maintenance. And a killer drive train for the price.

Weaknesses:    Cockpit components aren't primo, but I wasn't able to break any before I swapped them out. No option for heavier dart spring.

Bottom Line:
Brakes suck, but you knew that if you were in this price range. If you don't mind doing your own assembly and tuning (which you shouldn't) this bike makes an awesome rider from the box and you can tweak and upgrade over time to meet your preferences. With upgrades etc I'm still under 650 and it rides better then any name brand I've demo'd. Been running the 1x9 with stock middle ring and no retention device for one month, haven't dropped the chain yet.

Similar Products Used:   Trek/Fuji Similar spec'd hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Pulled front der and shifter converted to 1x9 32x11-32 (shorten your chain!!!). Sette APX Carbon post and bars. 185mm BB7's with speeddials front and back.Some shorter generic stem. DMR V8 pedals, grips and stuff.

Submitted by max brown a Cross Country Rider from porter Indiana

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2010

Strengths:    The Frame is super light. The wtb tires have great traction in any condition, and the wtb speed disc rim holds up very well.

Weaknesses:    the rock shox dart1

Bottom Line:
this bike is a very good strong bike,you cant go and by a trek with these parts and for the price so i am not saying don't buy trek but just look over the motobecane first.

Favorite Trail:   imagination Glen

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Bike Setup:   I just had to put the front disc brake in,put the pedals, and of course the seat and that was it

Submitted by josegon1 a Cross Country Rider from Buena Park, CA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Frame & wheelset

Weaknesses:    Stem, pedals, & shifters

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike because of the frame & the wheelset. The skye stem was replaced by an Easton EA50, alivio shifters replaced by SRAM X5's, Front Alivio der. replaced by Shimano SLX, rear Deore LX der. replaced by a SRAM X7. The stripped down WTB saddle was also replaced by a better WTB saddle. I don't jump or attempt too large a drop due to a messed up shoulder, so the dart shocks work well for me. As far as the IO disc brakes are concerned, they are hit or miss. Although BB5's would be better. The WTB speed discs work well. Most reviewers on this site subject them to the same abuse as they would a set of Mavics and wonder why they fail. Well duh. Overall you can't beat the deals from BikesDirect. If you like to tinker and upgrade your bikes, I highly recommend this bike or the 700HT. On the other hand, if one is willing to fork out a couple hundred bucks, the fantom is not bad deal either. One thing is for sure: I would pit my 600HT against a $900 dollar Specialized , Giant FX, or Trek 9000 anyday and may the best bike win.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Upgraded GT Outpost, Trek 6000

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    Solid frame. Great components for the price. Comfortable ride. Good disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Disc brakes squeal a lot when braking hard. Myself or the mechanic can't figure out why. But brakes work good and are mechanically sound. They just squeal. Seat gets uncomfortable after 15 or so miles.

Bottom Line:
I was a beginner mtn biker and got a hard tail because I wasn't sure how much I would like mtn biking (I love it). This bike is excellent for the price. I usually put in 10 or so miles after work during the week every couple of days and 20-30 miles on weekends. This bike "feels" right for me. It hold up excellent to the hard ground and the abundance of rocks on most trails in Phx. I haven't had the need to upgrade or fix anything (except pedals because I wanted better ones). It's a little heavy for uphill and the rear end bounces a bit at times but what do you expect for a hardtail. I even put slicks on this and ride on the road at times and it handles just fine. I've become a better mtn biker so I'm looking into full suspension, but I'll keep this one too.

Favorite Trail:   100 in Phoenix for now

Purchased At:   BikesDirect store in

Bike Setup:   Stock except pedals. Upgraded to Shimano PD-M324 because I wanted clipless pedals. Also looking into getting a new seat.

Submitted by SkinsFan a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Strengths:    cheap price for higher components, tough frame

Weaknesses:    the higher components are the wheels the rear derailleur and the front and main are good. the minor such as fork(?) handlebars headset, along with the paint etc aren't very good.

Bottom Line:
the motobecane is a good value for those looking into bikes in the price range, because the minor components are what you usually get for the price. if you are looking at bikes with these components at a higher price range get one of those, the minor components do not measure up to the bikes with pricier tags. the reason is the motobecane puts on main components high when the minor ones are cruddy, making the price tag smaller. the brakes dont stop you unles you have really srong hands. the fork praticially doesnt move and the rear derailleur moves all over the place and the front derailleur a screw came out and the seat got loose and i tightened it real tight and it came loose again; the headset is weak, weakens often not bad.

Favorite Trail:   none

Similar Products Used:   gt avalanche 3.0 giant rincon (older)etc

Bike Setup:   the motobecane is a good value for those looking into bikes in the price range, because the minor components are what you ususally get for the price . if you are looking at other

Submitted by KC a Cross Country Rider from Alamogordo, NM

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    Great value. I shopped around for quite some time and could not find a bike that was set up as well as this bike for even close to the same price.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This is the first real mountain bike I have owned and I am very happy with it. It appears to be a very tough machine and everything works very smooth. I ride about three times a week on some pretty rough trails and have not had any problems yet. I have been so pleased with this bike that I bought a smaller one for my wife. She is also very happy with it. Bikesdirect.com is great. I ordered on Monday and the bike was here by Thursday. I took it to a local bike shop for assembly and tuning and was on the trail Saturday. Overall great product for a great price. I am planning on upgrading to a full suspension soon and will definitely be purchasing another Motobecane from bikesdirect.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the Sacremento Mountains

Submitted by sickmove a Weekend Warrior from Rutland, VT

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Price, looks, good parts for the $$

Weaknesses:    None yet...

Bottom Line:
I'm a beginner that wanted a bike I could grow into without breaking the bank. I did a lot of research and found this to be the best deal for the money as far as components go. So far, I'm really happy with it's performance. Set p was not as easy as the webiste indicated, but it was fun and too difficult to figure out.

I have to add: I tried to go to a local bike store to give them the business, but no one cared to help me...and I couldn't justify the extra 20-30% in price for poor service.

Favorite Trail:   Pine Hill Park

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Vapor

Submitted by Raoul a Cross Country Rider from Biscoe, Arkansas USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, price, Deore LX

Weaknesses:    Kenda tires

Bottom Line:
This 2005 model has 2700 winter riding miles on it and rides as well as it did when new. One pedal broke on the Syllamore trail, and the tires have been replaced. It was about half price of similarly equipped bikes in the bike shops. It is not as nimble as my 94 Rockhopper, but is more comfortable and stable rolling over logs and cypress knees in the swamps that I ride in.

Favorite Trail:   Cache River Refuge

Purchased At:   sprtymama ebay

Similar Products Used:   1994 Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by crimecrusher a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2009

Strengths:    Looks cool, good on paper bike and has good main componets

Weaknesses:    Other than main componets bike is built with poor parts. Needs a lot of tunning to keep it riding good. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
A good beginner bike for the money. However if your compairing other bikes at your local bike shop that are $100-200 more then really they are about the same price. By the time you pay to get it professionally put together, and a years worth of tuning...you'll be around the same price.

This served me well after I upgraded several parts on the bike. This bike is more about internet marketing rather than real world trail performance. The Rockhopper was twice the bike as this and on paper not as good.