Motobecane 500HT XC Hardtail

• Promax Disc Brakes
  • Black Anodized Aluminum Double Wall rims with Machined Sidewalls

Submitted by AVLbiker a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    inexpensive, lightweight for price range, stout frame, stock WTB 2.1 Velociraptor tires

Weaknesses:    stock Rockshox Dart 1 fork; paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
initially I was lukewarm about this bike, which I bought used, but after my local LBS did a proper tuneup, it is a great ride. I chose to make some upgrades to the so-so Tektro brakes and weak Dart 1 fork. I am now very pleased with the setup. Handles well, lightweight, and feels solid. Excellent value for the money ... If I were
to purchase a Motobecane again, I would spend a little extra for the 700HT (better components) rather than the 500HT.

Favorite Trail:   Dupont

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   none, this is my first MTB

Bike Setup:   upgrades: Rockshox Tora 318 fork, Shimano M520 pedals, Avid BB7 brakes ... otherwise stock

Submitted by bloo a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2008

Strengths:    price, solid frame, good entry level components, (Shimano Deore r-derailler, strong wheel/tire set, mech disk brakes,comfy saddle) for beginners

Weaknesses:    combo shifters do not feel comfortable;replaced bottom bracket after first 6 months as water got into it...my fault for power washing it at the car wash

Bottom Line:
This was my first mountain bike eva a 1.5 year ago! It has been tons of fun beating it up yet the frame keeps asking for more! It's a great bike for a beginner but as you gain some skills you will learn the limitations of some of the components and will start upgrading parts here and there. By far the most noticeable performance gained from upgrades have been from the shifters, wheels and tires...and the thudbuster.

If you're out looking for your first mountain mike without braking the bank, this is a great option. It deserves high marks for it's value.

Favorite Trail:   Memorial

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   compared to other entry level Treks, Specialized, Haro, Marin...could not believe the spec on the 500HT was better than these brands and costs less

Bike Setup:   mavic f219(f),717(r) w/ XT hubs wheelset; kenda nevegal 2.35(f)/2.1(r);deore shifter pods and brake levers;titec hellbent bar/stem;thudbuster LT seatpost;WTB speedV saddle;fork,brakes,crankset,front/rear deraillers still stock...for now

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    Very affordable price, good components for the price, good weight for price, looks good, seems to be a pretty solid frame.

Weaknesses:    No customer support from bikesdirect.com, rear wheel came not completely trued (if it wasn't, then it bent WAY too easily), have to assemble/set up a few things (I didn't really see this as a weakness...just FYI if you are thinking about buying one)

Bottom Line:
I love the bike. I ride some trails, uphill, downhill, rocky, smooth...like I said, I'm new to the sport...a few jumps here and there. This bike serves my purposes quite nicely. It brakes as well as I could ever need (it easily locks them up...so at that point it's really up to the tires and the terrain), the shock has enough travel, and once I dialed in the derailers (sp?) it has shifted smoothly ever since. I also ride it to school, and it works well for that; although the tires are way too knobby for efficient street use. It works, though. I would highly recommend this to someone looking to get into mountain biking. Excellent value for the money.

Favorite Trail:   So far...Fairmount park

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   I tried my friends bike, can't recall the name, but it had a carbon fiber frame, hardtail with front shock; no other bikes I could identify by name.

Bike Setup:   Stock (I'm new to mountain biking).

Submitted by Aaron Hill a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley Ca

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    A fairly light frame.

Weaknesses:    Drive train components need some work but are still alright.

Bottom Line:
For the price of this bike I would take it over the hardrock almost anyday. Great for beginners getting into mountain biking.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hardrock

Bike Setup:   Raleigh xt 3500 and motobecane 500ht

Submitted by Patrick Harmony a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN, United States

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    Very durable....Stock disc brakes work well.

Weaknesses:    seat loosens up every time i ride, and i have to tighten it alot....gears slip sometimes.

Bottom Line:
Good beginner bike... thats wat i am and i love it.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   EBAY

Bike Setup:   shimano m520 clipless, rock shox judy, stock disc brakes

Submitted by Brian Wolf a Weekend Warrior from College Station, TX

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2006

Strengths:    Very durable, easy to control. NICE breaks (first time i've had disc brakes though), Good wheels.

Weaknesses:    My seat always slips down after a couple weeks, so i have to raise it and tighten it alot. The brakes need to be tightened often. Its not exactly the lightest bike either, but its ok.

Bottom Line:
Go to ebay.com to get your next bike. I got mine for like half price and it was new.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Bryan in Bryan, TX

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by Jake C a Cross Country Rider from Marquette

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    Price is one of the key componets that made me purchase this bike. The bike has a pretty beefy frame, but isn't too heavy. The stock parts held up pretty well. Stock Disc brakes are excellent and I haven't had any problems with em.

Weaknesses:    Rear cassette, I had to replace it after about 5 months of pretty active riding. The quick-release rear axle is nice at time but it tends to come loose after a bit.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for starting out. It didn't hit my wallet too hard. I am probably going to replace the front for though. It doesn't have enough travel for my riding. I have been extremely pleased with the bikes response and ability to stand up to my abuses. I can rip a bike apart, believe me.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to pick

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   Judy TT rock Shocks, Shim. componets, big ass tires

Submitted by nate larson a Cross Country Rider from texas

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Strengths:    strong frame, awesome geometry, handles like very well. good componets. somewhat light

Bottom Line:
this bike to me seemed a little difficult to find(in texas) but when I found it(on ebay) I was glad. This bike is awesome. It feels and looks very solid, very well made. On the trails it handles so well. For the price there is nothing better. The disc brakes are promax and they could have put better ones on like hayes or something, but I so far so good. The brakes haven't failed me yet, they stop on a dime. If you are thinking about buying this bike then buy it, don't let the uncommon of the name drie you away. Motobecane is one of the oldest bike companies around, they even invented the dual suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   walnut creek