Motobecane 400HT XC Hardtail

• Forged aluminum Crankset
  • M-Wings Aluminum Bar

Submitted by don

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2013

Strengths:    Affordable,good entry level compoments

Weaknesses:    wheels

Bottom Line:
I've had my 400ht for 6 years now.I am very happy with my purchase.I ride 150-200 miles a week on and off road.besides normal wear and tear the only complaint I have is the wheelset isn't very strong.I have since upgraded to some single tracks.
It's like any other bike, lasts as long as you take care of it. kinda hate raining on the bike shop guys,but I have a trek 4300,and a specilized rockhopper.The 400 ht is much better equipped component wise.

Submitted by stacyk a Weekend Warrior from San Tan Valley, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Great Beginner Mtn Bike

Weaknesses:    Although the crank is sram (truVativ) it is the Iso Flow the X flow woulkd have been a better grab , also why put Shimano parts?????????

Bottom Line:
I Love my HT, especially now, I had the canvas I just need to paint it the way I wanted, Why buy a bike that you have to settle for, build your bike from the ground up as long as you have a good frame under you your good, oh and P.S DO NOT TRY TO WARRANTY ANYTHING FROM MOTOBECANE THEY WILL NEVER HONOR THERE WARRANTIES N E V E R !!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Gold Mine trail

Purchased At:   Cycle Spectrum Mesa,

Bike Setup:   Retroed my 400ht with a Fox 32fl with remote lockout front suspension, traded all running gear for SRAM x7 put Hayes stoker hydralic brakes front and rear and casette is now a SRAM 9 speed inplace of the integrated brake/shifter combo, running Panaracer 2.1 tires Alex racer edge adventure rims with stainless steel black spokes with red nipples, still run the motobecane hubs, rplaced the BB with a internal for a smoother ride, I also run the Xflow truVativ crank set however Im interested in retro fitting the Hammerscmidt

Submitted by flydog a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    Very good frame that has held up well to abuse so far. Excellent brakes.

Weaknesses:    Extremely heavy and uses cheap knockoff parts that bikedirect.com has manufactured under licensing (for example, the Truvativ crank). Many components have failed and had to be replaced, including the crank (fell off after 200 miles) and rear derailleur.

The bike comes disassembled without any instructions. When I contacted bikesdirect.com for help, they said try "google"

Bikesdirect is misleading when it compares this bike to a "$750 Trek" A Trek has better components and will last much longer. I have probably spent a total of $500 between repairs and upgrades.

Bottom Line:
While the price is seductive, it is merely a down payment because you will be repairing or replacing parts as they break or fall off.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Submitted by Jamesrf36 a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh NC USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2009

Strengths:    used to work at bike shop when I was a kid, after full tune
up and changing seat,and fixing the flat tires..over all great starter mountain bike..

Weaknesses:    Brakes SUCK...

Bottom Line:
After reporting I found it while hiking, and know one claimed it...IT'S definitely worth 300.00 dollars

Favorite Trail:   on and off road

Purchased At:   Found

Similar Products Used:   better than something like a Motiv HighRidge

Bike Setup:   Stock,just changed seat and pedals

Submitted by sshorebiker a Weekend Warrior from ma

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    good brakes, derailers, wheels

Weaknesses:    crank is junk. service at bikesdirect no help.

Bottom Line:
For the money it's a good bike. If you beat on it watch out. Added nashbar pedals pedals to it. first good uphill surge ripped the pedal (threads in tact) out of the cheap crank. Impresssed with the brakes. After dialing them in they're a good value.

Favorite Trail:   wompatuck

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Submitted by baboonboy a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    Shipped immediately, arrived in 2 1/2 days, easy to assemble, very nice frame, looks better than in the pictures, all the components were as advertised - by far the best-bang-for-the-buck.
Great service from BIKESDIRECT.

Weaknesses:    Initial derailer cable length issue - but replacements sent immediately. Nothing else - bike is great.

Bottom Line:
I would 100% recommend this purchase for a 9 to 13 year old kid who mountain bikes 3 or 4 times a week.

Purchased At:   BIKESDIRECT

Similar Products Used:   IBEX 550
GT Stomper (24" wheels)

Bike Setup:   Purchased with a 13" frame for my 9 year old. I was questioning a small 26" wheeled bike or a kids 24" bike for my son who is < 5ft tall.
The 26" choice with 13" frame was perfect. Bought my 8 year old the 24" wheeled bike.

Submitted by pago a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville, Florida

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    Handlebars, Color, Disk Brakes, Weight, Smooth Ride

Weaknesses:    Seat Uncomfortable, Cassette A Bit Weak, Shifting

Bottom Line:
A good bang for the buck. Bikes cost a lot more now than they ever used to so I was shocked that $350 doesn't get all that much anymore. It's a decent bike to cut your teeth on and I appreciate only paying for upgraded parts - while labor is free forever. For the budget conscious, its a decent deal. If you have more to spend, there's better around.

Favorite Trail:   Street

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct Local S

Similar Products Used:   None Really, Huffy

Bike Setup:   Stock Red Frame, Upgraded Seat, Upgraded Seat Post, Street Tires, Vertical Grips, Upgraded Cassette. I wanted a MB and a street bike. I now use it mostly for 3-4x week hour+ rides.

Submitted by beatitup a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, Florida

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    Strong Fram and great components for the price

Weaknesses:    Low end WTB Saddle crushed 2 in 2 weeks, and junk pedles will kill your legs.

Bottom Line:
Entry level yes but lacks nothing in the guts department Im 6'5" And 265lbs I ride the thing like I stole it and I've been very impressed with it You can't beat the bike for the cash. When I upgrade I most definatly sticking with MOTOBECANE!

Favorite Trail:   Snow Hill

Purchased At:   cycle spectrum

Similar Products Used:   specialized hard rock pro.

Bike Setup:   From factory, but with new wellgo's on the way and WTB Power v dh saddle for max strength.

Submitted by Mike Girven a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, Wash. USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    size fits good. shifting just okay

Weaknesses:    frame cracks

Bottom Line:
right now doubtful if i would buy another motobecane--I've tried for four weeks to take care of two cracks in the frame and there seems no one from motobecane can answer any e-mails. I have tried all info operators to try and get a phone number and they don't seem to exist. I have lost my faith in the company first then the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hiawatha Trail- Montana/Idaho border

Purchased At:   E-bay

Submitted by Evan a Weekend Warrior from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    Looks great. Paint job is fantastic. Light weight aluminum frame. WTB Tires.

Weaknesses:    Haven’t found one yet. But still looking. The disc brakes are good. The decals are painted on….not stickers so you can not take them off.

Bottom Line:
I bought this from bikesdirect.com and am happy with them and the bike. You get what you pay for. One thing to be aware of is that the bike will need to be built and tuned. I spent the $70 to have a LBS do that for me b/c putting together disc brakes, tuning the brakes, shifters, front/rear derailers etc… was not something I could do. And the manuals are pretty much useless. In the end I paid the same if not more than I would have spent on the Specialized Hardrock. But I would do it all over again b/c it is a good bike. If you know what you are doing and can build a bike yourself (or dont mind having a LBS do it for you) this is the bike for you.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7200

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Saratoga

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Strengths:    Frame is solid and looks great. Only weighs in the mid 30lb range.

Weaknesses:    bikesdirect is horrible. they dont help you one bit and the bike comes in pieces!!! you cant ride it without taking it to a bikeshop for building and tuning!

Bottom Line:
Good bike but bikesdirect is BS! Giving the value 3 b/c it cost $$$ for the LBS to tune it.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Tyax

Bike Setup:   With Disc brakes

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Triangle, VA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2007

Strengths:    Price; Features; Ease of Assembly and Adjustment

Weaknesses:    Warranty support; Spongy front fork

Bottom Line:
Great look and features for the price.
Parts suspect/weak--broke rear derailler hanger in first 50 ft. (Alloy looks weak hopefully just this piece)
Warranty support stinks--Can't get Motobecane to reply on warranty issue or local bike dealer location. No parts manual so part number and description makes it hard to get from just any local shop.
Overall okay for budding cyclist/fix it yourselfer.

Favorite Trail:   Quantico

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Per factory

Submitted by Eric Evans a Weekend Warrior from Manchester

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Strengths:    Good looks, nice brakes, strong frame and decent shifters and gears

Weaknesses:    pretty soft front fork and rims could be a little stronger

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Looked at entry level specialized, trek and raleigh and got disk brakes for about $100 less.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   trek 850

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Sherman Oaks

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2007

Strengths:    Frame. It Looks Nice!

Weaknesses:    Tektro IO Disc Brakes, Acera Front Derailleur, RST Capa T7 Fork, Pedals

Bottom Line:
Things I did off the Bat:
Replaced the Tektro Disc Brakes with Avid BB7's
Replaced the Rear Alivio Derailleur with Shimano XT
Replaced Saddle with Brooks B17N
Replaced stock Pedals with Kona Platforms

The frame is great on this bike, even though it isn't a "real" Motobecane, I have always had a special place in my heart for the name...

Acera front derailleur sucks. Period. Alivio Rear is workable, but a little clunky and noisy so I swapped it for XT. Big Improvement. Tektro IO Disc brakes are junk. Hard to adjust, noisy, and crappy stopping. The Avid BB7's are much better. RST Capa T7 fork is Junk,doesn't appear to have a lockout. Going to replace with a Bontrager Carbon Rigid anyways. Truvativ "Iso Flow" Crankset a bit too flexy, but workable. Everything else is not too bad, Stock Saddle, Post, Handlebars and Stem seem decent enough. Not a priority right now. Shifter/Brake Lever combo isn't too bad either (I think it's Alivio?) Good bike for a casual rider, but not something to rack up serious miles on. Frame is worthy of upgrades however. The Tektro Discs will piss you off! I dig the look of the bike, and plan on changing little things down the road. Good Value. Great Value actually.

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct