Mongoose Rockadile SX XC Hardtail

Submitted by Ads a Weekend Warrior from Reigate

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2007

Strengths:    Comparing withe other affordable bikes I have ridden, this has got to be the best. This is the first proper MTB i have owned. It is very grippy around the bends, I might upgrade the tyres, and has great stopping power, i also might upgrade to disc brakes. The riding position is like driving a 4X4 ( tall and comfortable) and it handles very well offroad as it soaks up the bumps. Many other owners and reviews critcise the suspension. I think it could be slightly softer, so you get more feedback from the ground. I like the gears as they are very reponsive and a lot easier to use than those twist grip ones. They're a bit like a paddle shift on a car. But one of the best thing about this bike is the frame. I cannot belive for this price how good the aluminium frame is. I cannot stand chaep double suspension bikes which weigh a ton. This bike very light, which does favors for the ride and handling and It is very strong-It can take almost anything. If you looked after this bike it could last you for ever.

Weaknesses:    I have no problem with using this bike as it has a lot of character and is very relaible. An uncommon combination. There are very few problems.
-I think the seat is a little on the uncomfortable side, especially over long journeys.
-The tyres are very grippy but are weak but not bad for a stock pair.
-Suspension could be a bit more bouncier
apart from that, the bike is absolutely fine

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a brillaint bike, especially for the value. If anything I would say this bike is under priced!!!. I think this bike is probably amongst the range of bikes which are at least £100 more. I have owned this bike for more than 3 years now and it has been great owning it. I have brought many extras for it like lights, mudguards, a speedometer, portable pump and more. I recommend this bike for any body who enjoys cycling on and offroad - quickly!!!!. This is a fast MTB. and enjoys cruising. I dont think it would suit die-hard mountainbikers. For me I see little point of buying an £1000 bike as I am not that seroius into it, but I like this bike so much and seeing as I have had it for a while now, I think I could turn it into a serious offroad racer- I think it could be time for some upgrades!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Vince Warner a Cross Country Rider from Essex, UK

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Strengths:    Good brakes and gearing. Strong forks. Quite a light bike - all alloy. Nice styling and paint job. Superb Kenda tyres. Xrims by Alex incredibly straight. Nice riding position.

Weaknesses:    Seat very hard even though it's gell and a nice shape. Although not essential no front gear guard. Hand grips very uncomfortable but very grippy !

Bottom Line:
This is a good value bike for this area of the market. Lightweight with good brakes and gearing make it ideal for road and off road, best suited for beginners to average users. Forks are a lot stiffer than cheaper makes and are ideal for heavier riders and big hits and bumps.

Bike Setup:   Stock setup

'96 Mongoose Rockadile SX, headtube cracked x3

[url=http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1996&Brand=Mongoose&Model=Rockadile+SX&Type=bike]BikePedia - 1996 Mongoose Rockadile SX Complete Bicycle[/url] I bought the above bike on Craiglist for $80 (loaded with high end parts): - Deore LX front & rear derailleurs - Deore XT ... Read More »

Mongoose Rockadile SX 95-97

My first real mountain bike was a 96 Mongoose Rockadile SX. I was 15 and saved my paychecks from the pizza place for a couple months to get it. I even saved a bit more so I could replace the crappy DuoTrack fork with a Rock Shox Q21R. For some crazy reason, I sold the bike to put some rims on my car ... Read More »