Marin Pine Mountain XC Hardtail

4.5/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Firepoint24 a Cross Country Rider from Maitland, FL USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    Great geometry and components. Skareb (spelling?) shock works well and I had no problems with it for the last seven years. Fantastic steel frame.

Weaknesses:    It is not made anymore.

Bottom Line:
I am posting this just in case you are trying to get your hands on this bike. I had mine for seven years and traded up to a full suspension Kona Dawg due to a back injury. I love this bike and wish I could ride it forever. The components were middle to high end and lasted. Hayes brakes were a little temperamental but a little TLC and care and there will be no problems. The shock was great and the bike is very light.

Similar Products Used:   Marin Eldridge Grade

Submitted by Old Fat Guy a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2009

Strengths:    I have had this bike for about 18 years and it is still a way cool bike. I toured it across America on street tires, I hammered it on the Pine Mt look and all over N. CA

Weaknesses:    Some components were weak, but I have broken everything and replaced everything at least once.

Bottom Line:
This bike has served me well for thousands of miles and I weigh quite a bit over 200lbs. I have ridden roads, single track, fire trails, steep rutted rocky trails, ridden in a pelaton with road bikes on a century, Loaded it with camping gear and bottles of wine.

The bike I have is nothing like the new Pine Mt. But was still near top of the line when I got it. My point, this model has some history and pedigree, has served me more that well and is great value.

Favorite Trail:   Redwood Park loop

Purchased At:   Marin store on Towns

Bike Setup:   Bike has Deore XT top mounted thumb shifters, Ritchie wheels, leather saddle, gen 1 SPD pedals, 52 tooth big ring, brazed on rack mounts for panniers, 3 water bottle mounts

Submitted by mannylap a Cross Country Rider from QuebecCity

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2008

Strengths:    Prize I paid, Columbus steel frame, great components, lightweight fork, and low profile color...

Weaknesses:    Not much, for just tires, WTB was trash tire, change it for Smoke/Dart duo

Bottom Line:
Very stiff for a steel frame (not like my old jello steel Kona), almost quick as my old EastonBrodie, but more confortable. It is a great climber and single tracker.

Favorite Trail:   Golf Trail

Purchased At:   Sport Expert QuebecC

Similar Products Used:   Kona CinderCone

Bike Setup:   PineMountain 2006, Columbus Thron, LX-XT, Skareb fork race, time pedal, Panaracer's Smoke and Dart...

Submitted by The Lau a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Mid to high-end component spec. Excellent geometry for people of average proportions. Just a good, solid hardtail with very little that can break. It's difficult to phrase it any better than that.

Weaknesses:    None, really.

Bottom Line:
A high quality steel hardtail with a good component spec is hard to find these days. While I'd love to patron my local framebuilder for a steel frame, frankly it's just out of reach for almost all college students like me. But for the past year I've used this bike running the whole gamut of mountain riding styles within my abilities: the Downieville Downhill, the Coolest 24 hour marathon race, Slickock in Moab, Marin headlands, Auburn. The Pine Mountain is a great bike made by a great staff. I purchased it as an employee of my shop at the time and actually went over to Marin headquarters in Novato, CA to pick it up. They are a very friendly, experienced crew who cares a lot about the product and the ride.

I would say that this bike is best for average riders of average ability and fitness on an average pay scale to fund this purchase. It would leave an elite racer wanting more than 'just' Deore XT, yet is a bit of a silly purchase for a truly novice rider. Of course, the ride is what you make it, and while a hardtail does not tout the benefits of a fancy full suspension rig, the Pine Mountain's utter reliability is really its shining quality.

Favorite Trail:   Rockville Regional Park

Purchased At:   Ken's Bike & Ski

Bike Setup:   Columbus Zona frame. FSA Sky Pilot headset. Thomson Elite seatpost. I've also added a brass fillet to each joint (especially the head tube) for an extra level of reinforcement. Not too sure if it works or not, but it did give me an excuse to paint the bike all black and hasn't shown to be of any detriment.

Submitted by Danny from Petaluma ,Ca USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2007

Strengths:    Components on the 06 model seem to be better than before, it came with shimano pedels

Weaknesses:    headset was not that good

Bottom Line:
Great bike, good weight for a steel frame, good choice on componets for the 06 model it looks like they stepped it up with some stuff namley the pedals. I dawned upon me the other day while 10 miles into a 20 mile loop of trails, how NOT beat up I felt by the half way point I kinda slow my pace at the half way just so I can make the rest of the ride but I felt really good I even went 5 more miles just because I could. Great bike good job Marin

Bike Setup:   factory except the FSA Orbit X headset which was 40 grames lighter

Submitted by Kiekelly a Cross Country Rider from Lancs, UK

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2007

Strengths:    2004 White Marin Pine Mountain. Classic Looks, gorgeous Triangular Steel Tubing. Superb acceleration, as lightweight as many Ally bikes.

Weaknesses:    Rust Prone if dented and spotted or cared for! The rear Mech mount is slightly exposed as a another review has noted.

Bottom Line:
Superb ride, extremely capable bike & looks great. Can hold it's own against anything Cross Country.

Bike Setup:   SRAM X7 Shifters/Rear Mech, Manitou R7 plantinum Fork

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Sandhills, NC USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Strengths:    very comfortable steel bike, don't feel the bumps like aluminum bikes. good geometry, tough, will last and last.

Weaknesses:    derailleur hanger is part of frame. Not the lightest at 28 pounds, but lighter than a many Aluminum bikes with Disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
(for 1998 model) In spite of being 8 years old this bike rocks. I cannot ride an aluminum bike comfortably after riding this smooth bike.

Favorite Trail:   xc trail with lots of roots, bumps and hills

Similar Products Used:   Fuji, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   upgrades: Marzocchi MX Comp fork, XT components, Mavic rims, Avid SD-7 V-brakes. SRAM 9 spd cassette

Submitted by Cory a Cross Country Rider from Juneau, AK

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2006

Strengths:    The fork is nice and plush, mine has leaked air before but a few pumps with a fork pump fixes that. Light frame.

Weaknesses:    Where do I start? Lets see I stripped the rear-hub last spring and WTB has not been very helpful at all in this matter. The hub is still in the shop! But, this isn't a review about the components, it's for the bike. Last Saturday I was riding uphill when I lost all power. i stopped and looked down and noticed that the derailure had snapped (at least thats what it looked like). Upon further inspection I noticed that it wasn't the derailure at all, but it was the derailure hanger. This is not fixable and now I'm without a bike for the season. I am not happy.

Bottom Line:
This bike was excellent when it was working. Unfortunately that was not very often. Unless you like having a lot of down time, I would not recomend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   anything with nice hit and real technical

Purchased At:   Glacier Cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock w/conntinental survival pro 2.1 in rear and lizard skins dual density grips. Also have crank brothers candy sl pedals.

Submitted by hoyo a Weekend Warrior from corte madera, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent disc brakes. Good all around performer. Good price point.

Weaknesses:    Atrocious pedals. WTB clipless were virtually useless. Changed to shimanos.

Bottom Line:
Excellent all round bike. Climbs well, very responsive bike. Hayes hydraulic brakes are reassuring on steep crumbly descents. A good overall value.

Bike Setup:   Stock. WTB wheels. Manitou skareb elite shocks. Deore LX front. XT rear.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from LaCrosse

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Strengths:    The frame is steel, disc only,frame geometry, and the MARIN name. $225.00 for this ride? This steel frame with almost any frame builders name on it would be $1,000.00

Weaknesses:    Not enough people know how good these bikes really are compared to other bikes costing 100's or 1,000's more in the same genre of bikes.

Bottom Line:
I have riden Rocky Mountain, Diamond Back, Kona, KHS (another great company), and Cannondale (not such a great company anymore) over the last 10 years. This steel ride is the best I have ever ridden. I prefere steel to anything else, but I also understand the value of alum. I don't ride it, but I get it.
Marin has put together in this frame a fast climbing, quick handling, smooth of the bumps, frame. The Columbus tubing is like no other. Hard to explain, but it is almost like the bike knows what is next and takes care of the nasty stuff for you.
Could you jump on it? If you has to. Could you downhill? Who wants to anyway? If you want your last bike to be right up there with the big boys of steel (Gunner,Kona,etc..) while living in the real world with money left for the kids college fund, then try a Marin. You will not be in the wrong.

Purchased At:   BLUE HERON

Similar Products Used:   TT Lite, ox platinum, reynolds, cromo, carbon fiber, and alum frames.

Bike Setup:   It is all 8 speed. SO while you are getting the latest repaired/replaced I will still be riding my 7 yr old groupo on the trail. Be honest, you really don't need 27 gear options. When I golf it goes like this: driver, 5 iron, pw, and putter. So why even have the rest. The same is true in biking.

Submitted by James Bennett a Cross Country Rider from Lewisville, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth ride. light weight with steel. Great hydro brakes. sweet fork/lockout Best frame i have ridden

Weaknesses:    ended up changeing pedals. Graphics lack of colors

Bottom Line:
Love this bike till it was stolen from second floor balcony. Hard to think of finding differnt replacement. for Price and components it is awsame. I kept upgrading till I got to this bike. The only upgrade plained was XT crank, but did not have chance.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore

Purchased At:   Sunski sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized rockhopper. Gary Fisher Tassi

Bike Setup:   17in fit me and I am 6,2 most other frames that size would not

Submitted by Mister Big a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth Cadillac ride, awesome brakes, generally well put together and thought out. I replaced my 1997 Cannondale F900 Killer V which was stolen by some dirtbag. My initial reaction was to buy another Cannondale (M600), but thankfully I ran into a helpful aquaintance who pointed me to a friend who worked at a local LBS. He educated me about the benefits of a steel frame. I didn't believe him, but did my research on the internet and he was right. Steel is real. Even though this bike may be a pound or two heavier (especially with the disc brakes) than my Cannondale, i ride faster on this bike, climb better, and feel better at the end of the ride. It's really nice on the downhill and fast on the level road.

Weaknesses:    Decales are lame "Marin Mountain Bikes". Yeah, we known it's a mountain bike, why do we have to spell it out on the actual mountain bike itself?

Bottom Line:
Before you buy an aluminum bike, give the steel bikes a try. This or the Bianchi Dinali. Ride over some bumpy stuff and feel the difference. It's a Cadillac ride, man!

Favorite Trail:   Marin Headliands

Bike Setup:   Swapped out riser handlebars for straight bar and bar ends. Got better pedals thrown in by dealer. Got Rocket V sadle. Changed out tires to something more road friendly, but still good enough for trails. I ride a few miles on the pavement, then over the Golden Gate bride until I get to the trail.

armed/dangerous manhunt in Woodacre near Tamarancho/Pine Mountain

So apparently there's a guy, possible armed and dangerous, on the loose in Woodacre. He's wanted for a bank robbery and car theft up in Sonoma - police chased him all over West Marin this morning and they think he's around the White's Hill Fire Road/Summit fire road area. More info here: [url=htt ... Read More »

Marin Pine Mountain vs On On Inbred

I have been planning to get an On One Inbred for my bike build, but a Marin Pine Mountain popped up on CL for a decent price and it looks to be a nice frame. Any opinions on building this frame up vs the One One?Read More »

Pine Mountain Trail Elkhorn City, KY

Can anyone tell me if this trail is rideable or even legal up around Elkhorn City and Breaks? Are there lots of stone stairs, very steep pitches and etc...? I know you can ride the top via little shepherd closer to Whitesburg but I wanna ride singletrack. Anything helps!Read More »

show me your pine mountain 29'ers...

is it just me or are there not many of them? here's mine...Read More »

Pine Mountain

Cracked my second rear triangle on a 2010 Marin Nail Trail 29er. Marin is sending me a 2011 Pine Mountain as requested/suggested by a friend. Anyone have any takes on the Pine Mountain. Also getting my first fully late feb/early march Lenz Leviathan. Can't Wait.Read More »