Marin Bobcat Trail XC Hardtail

3.79/5 (29 Reviews)

Submitted by Tim Collier a Weekend Warrior from Stuttgart, Baden Wurttenburg, Germany

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2011

Strengths:    Forgiving, stable, solid, pretty good value. Good brakes and tires. I have taken this bike from NC to AL, KY, Iraq, and now Southern Germany. For the price, I have gotten a LOT of use from this bike, and it still rides well for my wife. It is indeed a good entry bike, and with selected upgrades can serve you well. I have owned it for 7 years now.

Weaknesses:    Componentry. I have replaced, over the years, BB bearing, spokes, rear derailleur, chain, and the crank arms.(after moving it repeatedly, removing the pedals each time, no wonder). However, after a tune by the LBS here in Stuttgart, it purrs like a well fed cat. Great second bike, a bit heavy for really dedicated biker- I almost put a new fork on it, but opted for a new bike instead.

Bottom Line:
Good starter bike, or bike for less aggressive rider. I've beat up components, and put this bike thru a lot more than it was most likely designed for. However, it's a good frame, and with some care and selective replacement it has stood the test of time.

Favorite Trail:   Waldheim

Purchased At:   REI, Cary, NC

Similar Products Used:   Cannodale hardtails, notably a 2009 F3. HUGE weight difference.

Bike Setup:   Schwalbe Smart Sam tires, rest mostly stock.

Submitted by jonpaulbruno a Weekend Warrior from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    Brakes,Frame,stem,Bars

Weaknesses:    Everything else!

Bottom Line:
This Bike should not be called a mountain bike. works best on the street. I'm 175lbs and shock bottoms out if I go off a small XC jump, and it was tightened all the way. Derailleurs and shifters are sh*t! Had them adjusted 3 times in 1 month. Bike would slip gears all the time, chain constantly would fall off, which caused me to get injured a few times. Bent a wheel on a beginner XC trail. Marin might as well sell this bike without pedals and save the money cause they are a plastic ball busting accident waiting to happen, you would have to be crazy to ride without changing the pedals with purchase. Biggest pile I've ever ridden. So heavy also. 30lb. Too much for a hard tail aluminum. I took it back, Rei has a great return policy. My closing statement- They really don't make bikes like they used to! well unless you spend a few G's.

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4

Similar Products Used:   Walmart Bike

Bike Setup:   2010 Bobcat trail 19" frame, Suntour XCM-HLO, 100mm Travel with Lockout, Alivio shifters, Deore rear derailleur, Altus front.

Submitted by cyclist33 a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Strengths:    Confident, smooth, communicative

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest in its class

Bottom Line:
This is hands down the best bike I've owned. I up-specced the basic model to get better gears and forks, but the shifters that came with it - Acera rapidfire plus - are fine, and the drivetrain seems reliable. My bike came with WTB Raijin folding comp tires instead of the specced Conti Mountain Kings, not sure what difference they make but they look ace and handle very surely, with a nice low buzz on the road but low rolling resistance. In gloss black with white brake levers and pistons, and flashes of lime green, it looks great, even better now I added white Crud guards and the white Recon forks. I'm still getting used to the handlebars which are fairly wide compared to the GT I just sold, but I've left them as they are (decided not to saw them off) as they come double-butted so I didn't want to spoil the balance. Overall a very eager, sure and comfortable ride and a svelte look make this a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeway

Purchased At:   UK

Similar Products Used:   Felt Q720, GT Avalanche

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore mechs, Tektro Auriga Comp brakes, Rockshox Recon TK Silver forks, FSA Dynadrive crankset

Submitted by RCerber a Weekend Warrior from Bucharest, RO

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2010

Submitted by newby a Weekend Warrior from El Paso,TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    Solid design, shifts smoothly, Snazzy color.

Weaknesses:    pedals are made from plastic need to upgrade...better bike tubes should be standard. I had the dealer add slime to the stock tubes but I still managed to get a flat within 3 rides out and just decided to upgrade the tubes with a thicker more resistant tube that had the sealant already included. No problems after that

Bottom Line:
I hadnt done any riding in over 21 years. I decided to get back into riding after remembering all the fun I used to have in my early teens.

I thought it was going to be harder but this bike really has made it easy for me and the gears work fantastic.

I looked around for a long time and price always seemed to be the reason I didnt buy a bike. I found this $780 plus tax bike on clearance for $450 with tax and decided to buy it after doing some research on Marin.

Bike has performed fantastic. Although I had been out of the game for over 20 years, I have taken the bike off and on trails and to some messed up areas and this bike performs.

I had a couple of issues with the original bike tubes but I have upgraded them and now I am very happy.

I highly recommend this bike for someone who wants to get back into riding for their health or just to get off the couch like I did.

Favorite Trail:   Along the Rio Grande River

Purchased At:   Local El Paso Bike S

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc//Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   Done at local bike shop

Submitted by Fluffy_Unicorn a Weekend Warrior from Placer County/(Rocklin and Auburn)

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Price, good beginner components, nice solid frame, hydraulic disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Plastic pedals, terrible WTB saddle with no gel, Fork leaves much to be desired (especially for larger riders).

Bottom Line:
The bike for the price I was able to help my girlfriend get at REI was a great buy. The frame is very strong and capable of lasting her a few years while gains more skills.

If you are looking for a solid entry level bike with good components for the price it's a safe buy. With a slightly better fork, pedals, and saddle I'm very happy with it and so is my girlfriend.

If you are going to want to get really into harder more technical trails you may want to get a higher marin hardtail for the better components.

FLUFFY UNICORN!

Favorite Trail:   Western States 100

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Ventana's, GT, 99 DBR x-10, yeti asr: other mountain bikes...

Bike Setup:   changed pedals to better flats and a better saddle with more seat bones yummyness. Going to change fork next summer.

Submitted by bduy a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, VA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Solid frame and ride. Stock components are good, however I have upgraded to BB7 brakes from the BB5's.

Bottom Line:
Marin is a great bike company that stands behind their product.

Favorite Trail:   Wakefield Park

Similar Products Used:   2002 Marin Bobcat Trail

Bike Setup:   Stock + BB7 Brakes

Submitted by motogsxr a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2009

Strengths:    Very light bike, handles extremely well, can take small jumps,

Weaknesses:    Front Shock Dart 1 shocks weren't very confidence inspiring on the trails

Bottom Line:
For the price point this was a great bike. It will withstand a lot of abuse and trails the bike isn't even meant for. I took it over small to medium rock gardens and it handled them fairly well. The only concern was when I'd take extremely fast turns or jumps it felt a bit unstable. May have been the narrow tires that gave the unstable feeling in the turns. It did however climb very well.

This bike definitely has entry level components but the frame can be built up with better components later. I'm sure it would feel that much better afterwards.

I sold this bike to purchase a full suspension GT Force 2.0. I am loving the GT Force for the All Mountain riding experience which can take much much more than the Bobcat. But, I am already missing the Bobcat. It was so much easier to maintain, climb hills, and was very good all around bike.

I'm giving it 3 flames only because of the entry level components.

Similar Products Used:   GT Force 2.0 full suspension

Bike Setup:   Stock...

Submitted by mikeyd1031 a Weekend Warrior from stafford, TX, usa

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2009

Strengths:    the frane components

Weaknesses:    the fork wish it was lock out

Bottom Line:
its a great bike gonna be riding tomorrow. got really drunk and tried riding it down the 3 steps in front of my house and the seat broke. it wasnt pretty look for it on youtube. wish the seat was better considering i got the bike today and it already has to be worked on.

Favorite Trail:   none yet

Purchased At:   sun and ski sports

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by J_Coats a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Good relaxed frame geometry for a 5'-9" weekend warrior. Fox Dart 1 shock, smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Terrible chain-suckage issues. Replaced the chain twice (upgraded). The problem still exists even after it's been professional tuned twice. Rear derailuer problems also. The bike just makes a lot of noise while descending.

Bottom Line:
I'm just very dissapointed in the quality of this bike. I believe Marin manufactuers a very solid DH bike but I expected the same level of quality in a hardtail and didn't find. Bottom line? I wish I'd purchased a different ride.

Favorite Trail:   Goat Hill - US Whitewater Center

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Sports

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Light bike, decent components for the price.
Frame
Brakes
Rear Derailer
Shifters

Weaknesses:    I wish fork had a lock out.

Bottom Line:
This is my second Marin. (First bike was a Rocky Ridge) I love the way they are designed, made and priced. Unlike other bike makers, which only appeal for name recognition, I believe in the Marin Name and products.

Similar Products Used:   K2 Zed 2.0

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Tyler a Racer from Hatfield, MA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    the bike is a beast, it could endure a lot of abuse, being young, when i ride i like to jump and hit a couple of jumps, i caught close to 15 feet of air (legnth) and it held up great.

Weaknesses:    the fork. the fork needs to go, the spinner Grino os just doesn't cut it unless you are just riding it around town, but for riding in the woods on rocky trials it just ain't good enough. the components also aren't the best.

Bottom Line:
this bike was awesome as an entry level bike, right now i just upgraded to a ironhorse MKIII comp. it will take a lot of abuse and hard riding/ racing.

Favorite Trail:   Hawley state forest or Nipmunk

Purchased At:   Bikes Unlimited

Bike Setup:   every thing stock except crank bros smartys

Submitted by Ciaran Mauro a Weekend Warrior from St. Helena, California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Strengths:    Frame
Brakes
Derailers
Shifters

Weaknesses:    Suspention

Bottom Line:
An okay bike but the stock Spinner Grind OS fork was firm and unforgiving. Brake discs could be larger. But for a real begginer, a good bike.

P.S.
Don't think you can do jumping with this bike.
Though, it does killer wheelies.

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Sorrento
Marin Northside trail...see my product review
Trek Fuel-70...briefly ridden

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Western MA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2007

Strengths:    Lasted a long time with stock components. Withstood more abuse than it should have had to for its price/build.

Weaknesses:    It now will cost me almost as much to upgrade/fix as it did to purchase.

Bottom Line:
This review is for any of you contemplating casting your entry level biking lot with Marin. Do it.
I bought this bike 6 years ago at a "friend of a friend's" bike shop. He gave me a good deal based on the sticker. I was just getting into mtn biking and he put me on this bike. It felt good and was the right price so I bought it. We ride rocky, rooty, technical, grueling (to me) trails and I have walked this bike home only twice. Once I broke the chain and once I used a couple of elevated roots as a jump, at speed, and came down on a rock... taco'd the front rim.
I am replacing the bike because I brought it to my LBS for a tune up due to "chain suck". Tech came out, got down close to the bike and announced that I didn't need a tune up, I need a drive train. Lower end components, front to back was going to be around $250 and he questioned whether or not the frame vs my now better riding was worth it. I'll keep the bike as a backup and "road" bike. (read - exercise machine)
As far as ride, it always felt a little light in the front end in fast, rocky downhills but I never lost it. It climbed well and was always ready to go. I am taking it out in about an hour for a fairly serious (to me) backwoods, uphill ride. It will most likely be the bike's last big ride as I will probably buy a new bike within about 3 days.
If I were starting over, knowing what I know now, I would buy this bike. You should too.

Similar Products Used:   none then, now testing C'dale f4, Giant Rainier, Rockhopper Comp and others

Bike Setup:   Strictly stock except Shimano SPD's.

Submitted by Neil Holmes a Cross Country Rider from Jersey (Channel Islands)

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    Geometry, the frame generally

Weaknesses:    low spec components, it'd be nice if it came with a full XT groupset!!

Bottom Line:
Dont get me wrong, I have been a little flipant about what this bike was equiped with. Mine is a pre disc brake model, so quite old. But I wouldn't change the frame for anything. Well, there might be a few exceptions to that. But really, if you like to work on your bike play around with it and uprgrade components to a set up YOU want, this bike is well worth the £££'s.

Favorite Trail:   North Coast