Lynskey Performance Designs Ridgeline-26 LT Frame XC Hardtail

The Lynskey Ridgeline-26LT delivers all the benefits you expect from a high performance Long Travel hardtail. Our combination of cold-worked/multi-shaped titanium and balanced geometry will give you the increased traction, comfort and stability you’re looking for over the roughest terrain. The Ridgeline-26LT is designed around a 140mm suspension fork and is sure to give you the added confidence and desire to push your limits on any trail or urban ride.

• Over-sized shaped downtube provides stiff bottom bracket
  • S-send chainstays and seatstays allow ample tire, chainring, crankarm and heel clearance
  • Chainstay lengths that promote better traction when climbing
  • Headtube angles that are quick and stable
  • 34.9mm clamp-on front dérailleur
  • Downtube shifter cable routing

Submitted by MaukaRunner a Weekend Warrior from Mililani, Hawaii, USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    Compliant like steel but weight is like aluminum. Won't rust.

Weaknesses:    It's a hardtail.

Industrial mill finish is "industrial." I watched the videos on the Lynskey website and chose the industrial mill versus the bead blasted based on their fingerprint reason. As a titanium frame owner, I should have remembered that no matter what finish, titanium will show fingerprints. Just buy a can of Pledge and use that or a microfiber cloth to get rid of the prints. Before I put the bike together I polished off the fine scratches with some Mothers metal polish. Perhaps one day I'll polish the frame but it's nice as it is.

Oh another thing. Depending on what bar and stem combo you use, the lever might hit the frame. I have a Straitline stem which is pretty low and I run my levers closer to vertical than horizontal so right now they are tapping the top tube when the bar is turned 90 degrees. Not a problem as I want to raise the bar and stem to make it easier to pull up on the front.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2011 Ridgeline 26 LT. According to Jack from Lynskey, I am the first person to ride the 2011 model. The updates from the 2010 model are a 44mm internal headtube which can run a tapered steerer fork and a reduction to a 27.2 seatpost. The frame tubes are manipulated to a kinda square profile. Guess it's to make the frame stiffer. The seat stays and chain stays are standard round tubing.

I was looking at a replacement for my Chameleon which would ride smoother like my Merlin. Had to be a Titanium frame. Looked at Ragley (Made by Lynskey), On-One (Used to be made by Lynskey), Cove(Made by Lynskey) and Brodie(never got a response from them about production and dealers in my area)and figured if almost everyone is having Lynskey make their frames then why not go to the source. Couldn't find anyone else who makes a long travel hardtail.

If you are looking for a long travel hardtail, consider this frame. Don't know why Lynskey doesn't have the bike listed on their website but just email them to get the specs if you are intersted.

Remember this is a "off the shelf" frame and custom mods will cost you more.

One thing I wish they would do is to include a ISCG 05 mount and extra cable guides for a adjustable seatpost. I have the bike setup for all mountain and would love to run a guide but am limited to bottom bracket types and would have gladly paid a litte more to have those things included as "stock."

Okay, how does it ride? Well it's not a Chameleon. I set up the bike with the exact the same parts and wheels as my Chameleon. My medium Chameleon has a shorter chainstay length and a shorter top tube so to me it is more unstable at speed. The bike was fun but I had to think more to keep in on line. The Ridgeline has a longer chainstay and front end so the bike is more stable at speed. I find it harder to pull up on the front but I might play with the stem height.

Right now I think I'll be riding the Ridgeline and my 5 Spot equally.

Favorite Trail:   Royal Summit