Lynskey Performance Designs M 240 XC Hardtail

Lynskey M240 Frame: The M240 is the culmination of Lynskey?s 25+ years of craftsmanship. We designed the M240 for the rider desiring a lightweight, no maintenance, well balanced race frame. For 2011, we have added an oversized headtube...

Submitted by Gareth Davies

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2014

Strengths:    This frame is the business. Really light and the finish is impeccable. The welds are pristine and the whole thing just looks the business. I spent months researching frames for my new XC hardtail build, and kept coming back to the M240. It soaks up trail bumps and vibrations really well and the geometry is spot on. I was seriously considering several carbon frames but in the end I trust top grade titanium more than plastic. Another cool thing is that providede you select the correct headset (I went for Hope mix 'n' match) the headtube supports tapered and straight steerers so you have some options in the future. I am running 26" wheels with 2.4" Conti Mountain King tyres and the clearance is just fine. The lifetime warranty is the icing on the cake (not that I ever expect to have to use it).

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on this frame at Chainreaction, with a double discount in one of their sales just before Christmas. It is alot of hard-earned money to spend on a frame so I would consider waiting for a sale or promotion if you can. Having said that you certainly won't be disappointed. I also got a personalised email from Pat at Lynskey acknowledging my warranty registration and offering direct help if I had any questions. In my book that's going the extra mile when it comes to customer service. Happy trails!

Submitted by Cycleagain a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2012

Strengths:    Unbeatable titanium frame that stands tall against all weather/terrain. I used this frame to cross Mongolia, tested daily over 1500 miles extreme off road conditions 130,000 vertical feet of climbs and descents. The frame is rugged, light weight (1200g), welded smooth. Smooth features of titanium soaks up bumps, part of the machine. I also carried 30 pounds of equipment and add my own weight 95kg, 1100g tires I used, it's a killer frame to get the job done right.

Weaknesses:    None found after living on the bike for two months. Quality like this isn't cheap, but titanium steel will last a lifetime.

Bottom Line:
Lynskey has been in business for over 25 years, they know titanium steel and still build in the USA.
Large 19" frame worked well for a touring build. I would recommend a 18" ML for regular XC use (5' 9" riders)
This is an ideal frame for your build project using conventional 26er wheels, which is recommended for world touring. Tubus/Surly sell stainless rack carriers and steel strapping for rack conversions.

Favorite Trail:   Himalayas China, Outer Mongolia

Duration Product Used:   60 days

Similar Products Used:   Kona Explosif, Blackcat Expedition, Koga-Miyata World Traveller, Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe

Bike Setup:   Shimano SLX/XT drivetrain, Shimano XTR chain, Fox Racing RL32 120mm travel fork, Mavic Crossland 26er wheels, Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tires.

Submitted by Brad wells a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2012

Strengths:    Too many to list. The bike is super responsive and light.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
The bike climbs great and is fast. The frame is very well built with the rider on mind. Good geometry.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Murray Oklahoma

Purchased At:   Lynsky direct

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Grizzly and Jamison Dragon Pro.

Bike Setup:   Straight XT with mavic cross ride wheels, Thompson masterpiece seat post

Submitted by nzfinescale a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, NZ

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2011

Strengths:    It's light and very fast. The hype is true.

Weaknesses:    None found in performance. Some minor issues with build which were disappointing, but nothing that wasn't easy to fix (not that I should have to).

Bottom Line:
12 months later I still love it and can't wait to get out on it.

Favorite Trail:   Wharfedale