Kona Lana'i XC Hardtail

3.76/5 (25 Reviews)

You feel the forest calling you. That longing to cruise past great green fields and the edge of wilderness. And it's real. At Kona, we've been making awesome mountain bikes since 1988. It's that same call that sucked us into this business over 20 years ago. We know where you need to go. The 2012 Lanai is designed to get you there.

• Suntour SF-XCT 100mm fork
  • ProMax mechanical disc brakes
  • Shimano gearing
  • Vittoria tires

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by michal

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2013

Strengths:    frame is strong

Weaknesses:    pedals are slippery
    brakes take a while to stop should change the pads
    deraileur hanger is a bit to weak i would replace it

Bottom Line:
    its a good bike but needs some maintenance and replaced parts

Submitted by Steven K. a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    The frame is indestructible...have had no probs with the brakes ...shifting....or ANYTHING....on this bike.Only mods have been avid disc rotors and Continetal tires.Will put new fork on as soon as I wear this one out....could be a while.....probably a Suntour Raidon.....love the bike and intend to keep it and upgrade as I go...AWESOME BIKE!

Weaknesses:    The SEAT

Bottom Line:
    Live in Rapid City ,SD and the trail riding here is great.....looked at Specialized...Marin...Trek...Scott....and many other bikes before buying the Kona....price is right....quality incredible......great bike KONA.....but hell...don't take my word for it....Ride one....itll speak for itself

Purchased At:   Acme Bikes in Rapid

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2012

Strengths:    Great frame, rides really well, good balance between responsiveness and stability. Fork works well once you set preload right and bed it in after a few miles. Did I mention the great ride?........ Yes?........ Ok, just thought I'd say it again - it's the best thing about it, how it feels, that's the important bit.

Weaknesses:    Budget components adequate but not light, mechanical discs perform worse than a decent v-brake set up. Gearing ok but not the smoothest, benefits from careful set up and lubrication. Change that awful saddle! Other than that no problems.

Bottom Line:
    Take into consideration where this bike sits in the market, it's a budget recreational hardtail not intended to be used for hardcore riding. That said, for the money you cannot fault it. It has a quality feel and retains that Kona ride quality I remember from my old Lava Dome years ago. Yes there are lighter better equipped bikes out there but at this price point you get a great fun to ride package that does exactly what it's designed to - put a great big smile on your face. If you're not an xc racer, stunt nut or if your buget is limited this bike is highly recommended. I am very happy with it, particularly as I got a good discount with it being an end of season model being shifted to make way for 2013 stock. Nice bike Kona, superb value for money, well done.

Purchased At:   J E James Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona Lava Dome

Submitted by Thor

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Have not had any luck with this bike

Weaknesses:    Pedals are garbage, rear de-railer was not tuned and always jumps gears from day 1, the breaks are weak and scream after less then 4 km of riding normally on the street.

Bottom Line:
    Waste of Time and Money
    I spent over 65 days to get my bike replaced after the frame broke at the weld. I got a new bike and have had nothing but problems and it is a major headache. I had to buy new pedals after the first ride.

Submitted by Dunior a Weekend Warrior from Leesburg FL

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Strengths:    Verylight and agile feeling. Tough I am 220 lbs and kind of beet the crap out of it and it had not problems. Wife was very surprized at all the new things I did on this bike that I would not do on my Trek 4300. Even took on the right hand jumps at the Vortex. I am very impressed with this bike.

Weaknesses:    Pedals

Bottom Line:
    Great bike, I really like it alot.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Kyles Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300 disk brake, Gary Fisher 29r.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Scuba Steve a Downhiller from Auburn Washington

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Good Starting bike!

Weaknesses:    In the year I have had to replace the pedals and the chain. With free lifetime labor and tuneups the bikes not bad. Mostly sealed components. I Ride Reeeeaaaaallllyyy hard... So if your comfortable its a good bike!

Bottom Line:
    Its a great bike to grow with and learn. Mine now has Avid Juicy Disc Brakes, WTB pedals, Kenda Nevegal signature series 2.3 tires and ODI grips.
    I just wish I had a Dual Suspension!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Decoursey park

Purchased At:   Cycle Therapy in Aub

Bike Setup:   Was Stock

Submitted by Reptar a Downhiller from Texas

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    Nothing.

Weaknesses:    Everything.

Bottom Line:
    Bought this bike brand new in January of 2011. The first day I got it I ran into all sorts of problems. The seat and handlebars constantly come loose making it impossible to ride any sort of trails. Gear problems from day one as well. In all my years of riding, I have never experienced such a terrible bike and am extremely dissapointed in it.

Submitted by VanGhoul a Weekend Warrior from Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    Nice smooth ride and really versatile, which is great for entry-level bikes like this.

Weaknesses:    I've had some troubles with the brakes.

Bottom Line:
    I use this mostly for city riding (going to work, the park, etc.), but I mostly go off the trails everyday. Great for just jumping over a curb and trailblazing, spur of the moment.

Submitted by lovintherocks a Cross Country Rider from Hanksville, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    ????? Seat was comfortable paint held up alright nice components and the pedals were nice for stock.

Weaknesses:    Forks were weak, rims bent easily, frame felt shaky, handlebars weak.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is too high price I am sure it would do fine for a more timid rider maybe one who likes to just take a simple route. Although for me with the curb jumps the bike felt like it was going to break right under me and i am a light weight 140 lbs.

Submitted by neraceface09 a Cross Country Rider from ny

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    the frame is light and great!!

Weaknesses:    the components suck if you want to put miles on the bike. but if its for someone who doesn't put miles on there bike , its good.

Bottom Line:
    bottom line i love my bike!!! kona has great bikes there frames are great.

Purchased At:   wheel & heel

Similar Products Used:   wicked fat chance, yo eddy fat chance, kona fire mountain, mongoose iboc zero-G

Bike Setup:   I have the whole bike custom to a T. All xtr and carbon parts, i have the bike weighing 19lbs

Submitted by reiais a Weekend Warrior from toronto, ontario

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Remarkable strength, smooth shifting, easy maintanence

Weaknesses:    brakes could be stronger. We replaced the stock pads almost immediately.

Bottom Line:
    Good value for money. Strong, reasonable weight. Good component group. Widely adjustable. Pedals broke within 3 months (solid rock strike) but that may have happened with anything. Nice paint. Well made. I'm in the market for a new MTB and I'd buy Kona again.

Purchased At:   Sprot Swap, toronto

Bike Setup:   Shimano SIS shifters were always accurate.

Submitted by tbbaot a Cross Country Rider from Tampa,Fl,USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Strengths:    More bang for the buck. Lots of upgrade choices. This is a bike that a beginner can upgrade as they go and not have to buy a new bike every time they get the bug to move up.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy but not more than others in this price range.

Bottom Line:
    I went to the shop to buy a Trek, but pedaled out with the Kona when I saw what you could get for less money. Trek bikes are great of course, but at the lower price points they aren't always the best choice.

Favorite Trail:   Flatwoods

Purchased At:   Oliver's

Similar Products Used:   Trek Navigator

Bike Setup:   OEM with new Terry Liberator Gel seat

Submitted by klejton a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Reasonable price tag, very good frame. Worth upgrading, especially as of 2008 since the bike got a rear disc mount.

Weaknesses:    Most of the parts, the fork in particular. Could be a tad lighter, but that's expected from an entry-level bike.

Bottom Line:
    The Lana'i is a great beginner's bike and definetely one worth upgrading. If you're up for it, that is. Unfortunately, I'm not in that group, mostly because my preferences lie in all-mountain.

Anyway, great bang for buck, but not such a great bike if you're aiming for anything over light cross country. Upgrading it can turn it into a mean XC machine, though.

Favorite Trail:   just put me in a forest

Similar Products Used:   None so far, I'm afraid.

Bike Setup:   Stock with SRAM PG850 cassette, no-name chain (Shimano Altus quality) and Wellgo SPD/Trekking pedals.

Submitted by josh bissonette a Downhiller from Bracebridge, ON, CAN

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    it was a preety light weighed bike

Weaknesses:    uhh, lets see,
    well the brakes didn't work for me at all and the fork isn't that good etheir too. Also the chain skips alot when im going fast

Bottom Line:
    i would say that this bike would be fine for people who rides their bikes to school/work and also people who dont go off many jumps, or else its just a lot of frustration having too stop and put the chain back on while all of your friends are waiting for you

Favorite Trail:   don't have one