Kona Fire Mountain XC Hardtail

4.18/5 (40 Reviews)

Over the past 20 glorious years, the Fire Mountain has played a huge hand in converting non-mountain bikers into deeply passionate ones. We've seen it a thousand times and are sure to see it thousands more. All that we've learned over two decades of being avid mountain bikers goes into this great riding hardtail mountain bike. A light, durable, versatile aluminum frame that's efficient and quick, with components that balance affordability and great function. Set the trail ablaze, young Skywalker.

• RockShox XC 28 100mm w/Turnkey fork
  • Shimano gearing
  • Shimano hydraulic disc brakes
  • FSA cranks

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by asdf a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2013

Strengths:    Strong frame,Fork,Brakes,Tyres,Warranty

Weaknesses:    Wheels,Crankset

Bottom Line:
    I have owned this bike for 4 months.Im loving it!Even though its a hardtail it can handle knarly stuff and pedal very efficiently.I have done about 200 kms and it has given me 0 problems.The tyres are great-quick rolling and grippy (hardpack,rocky and dusty terain),as concerned of the wet stuff its not very predictable(though i havent tested it while raining,only at mud from yesterday's driples).I dont like the crankset but it doesnt drop the chain at least and changes gears appropriatly.The frame is nice and agile(i have the Large size or 20 inches)but also stable.Fork's pretty nice too,and overall the bike given its price(620 euros) its a good deal.

Favorite Trail:   Ymmhtos trails

Duration Product Used:   4 Months

Purchased At:   Tsirikos Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Ideal Pro Rider

Submitted by itacaf

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2013

Strengths:    Fun and agile. Quick to respond and easy to ride. Good value for entry level hardtail. The fact i could get hydraulic disks at this price was too much to pass on. I'm glad I did.

Weaknesses:    I'm 180lbs and and the breaks squeal a bit. Although the breaks seem strong I'm not always sure.

Bottom Line:
    Love this bike. It's fun to ride all the time. I bought it as an entry level with the purpose to learn and grow. So I know it is what it is. I did a 26k ride today, two years after buying this bike for $599 new, up and down on single track and all the crap I can handle and the paved bike path. Just a lot of fun. Next year I move up to a more advance hardtail and will hand this bike off to my daughter who likes riding as much as I do.

Submitted by jyanz a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2013

Strengths:    -Nice set of tires (comparable to Kenda Small Block 8's)
    -Quality brakeset
    -Good Value
    -No problems with drivetrain yet

Weaknesses:    -Rockshox XC28 fork is a little flexy (I weigh 140 lbs). Rebuilt after a month.
    -Heavy wheelset, developed hairline cracks along the rim (according to two different lbs, it is only cosmetic)
    -Crappy pedals

Bottom Line:
    Overall, a good deal for a beginner bike. It has a little slacker geometry than some competing brands. Handled anything from xc to some light dh riding (I only weigh 140 lbs). About a month after I purchased the bike, the fork stopped functioning. The lbs rebuilt the fork under warranty and I have not had any problems since. The pedals that come with the bike are worse than some Wal-Mart bikes. The Fire Mountain is a good deal but not a bargain since Kona skimped on parts that are less noticed such as the wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   Ft. Duffield

Purchased At:   Bike Green Lexington

Similar Products Used:   None- tested Cannondale SL4, Trek 4300 disc etc.

Bike Setup:   18" medium 2012 (Acera, Rockshox XC 28, Shimano M446 brakeset) with 180mm front disc

Submitted by Rockknokr a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    Great frame, stem, handle bars.like the wheels and tires. Brakes...outstanding. Forks, so far so good.

Weaknesses:    Crankset, c'mon man. Pedals, lame. Chain.

Bottom Line:
    Been riding this bike in Arkansas around three months. Lots of rocks, all sizes. Loose gravel, bedrock, and everything in between. That said, the Fire Mountain has been good. It has withstood lots of substantial hits and hours of shaking. It is quick and responsive, almost twitchy. I am over 200 lbs. and feel like I can honestly say I have ridden this bike hard. It has been fine...mostly. My first ride I thought I had bent a pedal. Turns out the pedal was bent and the crank arm had stripped out. No rock strike just some aggressive up hill stuff. The chain is also marginal. This same ride stretched the chain so much it was an exercise in madness to try to ride. I returned it and after another crankset ( same issue), new pedals, and a new chain, all is
    well. The factory crank, FSA, was finally replaced with a similar Shimano.
    All other components are great. The hydraulic disc brakes are almost too good. The fork is good enough for me and the lockout is great when the dirt turns to pavement.
    I test rode several bikes before choosing this one and the geometry is what sold me. It rides well and is comfy. I have ridden this bike hard XC including missed lines through the brush and a few wipeouts. It has held up well and is ready for more.

Favorite Trail:   Long ones

Submitted by alec a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    great bike will take anything you throw at it and the aluminum frame is great!

Weaknesses:    breaks are very strong and you need to make shure not to hit the front breaks when your going to fast.
    other than that its awsome

Bottom Line:
    I bought my bike 10 days ago on craigslist its my first real mountain bike and i love it. I would recomend ths bike to anyone who wants to get in to bikeing. The bike is very versital and is great in town and on the dirt. yesturday i rode my bike in to town i rode it about 20 miles and not soar at all very very very comphy bike!

Purchased At:   craigslist

Submitted by rmazza1 a All Mountain Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Incredibly well spec'd. Kona has made this a point for the past few years, if they didn't have the money to test all of their products, they will make sure to out spec their competitors bikes in the same price range. Frame is strong as hell! They make sure to use 7000 series aluminum, so it just wants to have rough riding thrown at it. The Rock Shox Dart fork is ok enough for the bike, I would have liked to see a tora, but what can you expect to get with paying under 700? Brakes are much better than I expected them to be. Will be a pain to work on, especially with the cotter pin, but such is life, they stop and got some gusto in them for the price.

Weaknesses:    Overlooks what customers commonly overlook. The wheels are pretty weak and crappy and are drilled for schrader, which I never have schrader tubes hanging around, or tubes hanging around for that matter. I have not done anything harsh on this bike. I use it light trail riding and commuting around on in the winter here in denver. Curb hopping has apparently done a number on these wheels and are out of true. The seatpost stays put in the frame, but the rail clamp is weak! I crank it down with my wrench, and 5 rides later the saddle has slid the entire way back. Saddle is not for me, but I am a bit hard to fit, so I guess it happens. Bottom bracket sucks. Frame might be too stiff..... get a comfy saddle if you plan on hanging out on this bike on the trails for a few hours, trust me.

Bottom Line:
    Well spec'd, crappy wheels, crappy seat post. Swap out at least the seat post immediately. Replace the wheels if you plan on doing more intense trail riding, until then, be thankful you don't have cantilevers or v-brakes and learn to true your wheels once a month depending on use. Tires can stay, the geax are better than I expected them to be.

For what I use this bike for, mainly commuting and having fun hardtailling on some trails, it excels unquestionably. I wouldn't take this bike with these components where I take my Fuel EX, but once I swap out the components, I would love taking it around some technical stuff.

5 chilis for value, because you won't find a better spec'd bike in this price range, and 4 for overall because they tried cutting corners where customers don't think about.

Favorite Trail:   Dakota Ridge

Purchased At:   Race Pace Columbia

Similar Products Used:   Dirt Research Bandelier, Redline Monocog 29er, KHS montana pro fz, Trek 4500, Trek fuel ex 9

Bike Setup:   Stock, but I have a full XT waiting in the wings as soon as I blow up these : )

Submitted by scorchedearth a Weekend Warrior from Virginia

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    Strength, Reliability, Disc Brakes, Quality Workmanship

Weaknesses:    Front Derailleur, Rear Derailleur

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike in the spring after years having ridden various department store bikes and finally settling for a quality ride. So far, I am very happy with my purchase. It is a good quality MTB. It is solid, performs well in all conditions, and has served me well on and off road.

If you are a racer, you will undoubtedly need to upgrade parts but I'd say that it is great for the weekend warriors such as myself. I will undoubtedly upgrade the derailleurs in the next year or so since the stock ones aren't great but they will do for now.

This is a great entry level MTB that won't break the bank and will serve you well.

Favorite Trail:   Wakefield Park

Purchased At:   Oasis Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Time X-Roc S ATAC Pedals, otherwise stock.

Submitted by Rbrown a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I am not a bike nut but love the single track trails and stick mainly to blue runs. I love this bike for what I do and have had no problems with it up till now. I have had to replace the back tire spokes as a bit of corrosion caused them to break easily. But for me this bike is fantastic, good on the road, open trails and single track

Purchased At:   Dizzy Cycles

Submitted by JoeVella a Weekend Warrior from Malta

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2011

Strengths:    the 2011 version is an Aluminum bike with dual disc brakes, great features for the price, Rockshox fork. have used it for a month cannot complain, i love this bike. it's my first bike, using it 3-4 times a week (about 100 miles a week), for some easy trails, commuting etc. would definitely recommend. not sure about other users saying the fork bottoms out or is crappy, i've jumped about a meter with it and the fork didn't max out, if you're going to be doing more than that this might not be the bike for you. i'm sure my experience and confidence will be the limiting factors for quite a while, not the bike parts. i weigh 77kg

Weaknesses:    none that i can tell from a month of use

Bottom Line:
    Highly recommended for beginners like me, bike weighs about 30Lbs (14kg)

Purchased At:   evancycles.co.uk

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by bennyt223 a Cross Country Rider from New Paltz, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth ride, Disc Brakes, great shifting. Good components.

Weaknesses:    Front Shock (Rock Shox Dart 1) doesn't give a lot of cushion.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike that I can ride almost anywhere. Great value for the price. Perfect entry level mountain bike that can advance with you skill. Good bike for riding around town or campus as well. I ride on carriageways, around town, and single tracks. Great all around bike.

Purchased At:   Beacon Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, K2 2.0

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by konaman1 a Weekend Warrior from Santa Fe NM USA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome intro mtb. Nice tight ride, good weight for downhill stretches, light enough to not bonk on long uphills. Smooth shifting all the way thru.

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals; I upgraded to Shimano SPDs. Grips are weak, need upgrade. Tires (Schwable) are a bit heavy on the stock ride. Saddle a tad weighty; upgraded to a Vetta.

Bottom Line:
    Highly recommended for the beginner to mid-experienced rider. Great value, pretty plush off the floor.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island Tucson, AZ

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Had a Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo. Lighter, faster, but the FM is a great re-start ride.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for above.

Submitted by Ronnie a Cross Country Rider from Brazil

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    Great package, comes with pretty good components for the price. Strong frame, Brakes and Fork.

Weaknesses:    Rear derraileur Deore.If it were Deore Shadow, the work will be better.

Bottom Line:
    Great Bike for XCO. Better than any bike for the same price. My next bike will be Kona Cinder...

Purchased At:   Freecycle

Similar Products Used:   Caloi T-Type, Alfameq Tirreno.

Bike Setup:   Original specificatinos 2009 model: http://bikes.konaworld.com/09/09_firemountaindeluxe_en.cfm

Submitted by B1gwhite a Cross Country Rider from Zionsville,Indiana,USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    Great beginner bike, shox, brakes, wheels, and frame.

Weaknesses:    Pedal broke in a week, randomly shifts or doesn't shift (wear and tear possibly), and tires are crap.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike lots of fun, great quality, and a couple minor issues. Good bike but you should probably replace the tires and pedal soon after purchase and also watch your gears before they get too damaged. Still using this 3 and a half year old bike.

Favorite Trail:   United States