Klein Attitude XV XC Hardtail

4.81/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by humperty dumperty a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2013

Strengths:    It's beautiful. It accelerates rapidly. It's light. Lovely paint job. Gorgeous welding. Hand made feel. Particularly good at climbing. The geometry calls out to me. Beckons me. I think about the bike quite a lot. I've dreamt of it more times than I care to mention. The mist parting and there it is, as rare as unicorns, galloping toward me it comes forth, erect in mid wheelie. I shout out "Yes!". The end.

Weaknesses:    Out of the box I found it a long bike. I shortened the stem significantly. Perhaps I have short arms. Perhaps not. You will never know. It's a rigid aluminum bike. You WILL feel a lot of the bumps will come to meet your arse and your hands may well go numb. Carbon fibre handlebars and, one could debate, a carbon seat post may alleviate some of the rough and tumble. I also choose to run lower pressure and 2.2 tubeless. Helps. My mother thinks I'm going to kill myself on it. I say this to her "If I were going to shoot myself, Mother, I'd choose a nice leather armchair to sit in with a glass of bloody good Brandy in hand."

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and will never part with it. It isn't that much heavier than the lightest xc machines out today but it was the very last Klein year of mountain bikes in the USA therefore it's something you don't see every day - if ever. It is a boutique beauty and I've taken much pleasure in upgrading it - new brakes, bars, stems, seat posts - all I need now are some $1500 wheels and, one day if I'm very naughty, a full xt groupset. It will remain in the collection forever and ever. If you can buy a good frame, build it up well and you will have 'something wonderful'.

Purchased At:   new jersey

Similar Products Used:   klein pulse
marin palisades

Bike Setup:   shimano xt brakes
easton carbon bar
easton carbon stem

Submitted by texasgunrunner a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, rugged, features, components

Weaknesses:    Saddle, disc brake lines are external to frame.

Bottom Line:
Mine was the 2007/8 Klein Attitude XV.

I rode about 20~25 miles a day in Camp Taji, Iraq for over 2 years. I love this bike.

This was the last year of Klein in the US. When I purchased it, all but a handful of dealers dropped the line. Nobody would ship it to me in Iraq, so I special ordered it at Bike Barn in Clear Lake (Houston) and my sister shipped it to me via USPS (a challenge in itself) when it arrived.

I wanted this bike because I wanted a high quality aluminum bike and all the control cables ran inside the tubes. I thought that was awesome.

When I received the bike, I was horribly disappointed to find the brake lines were on the outside...arrgghhh!!! Still, it has a very clean look and it is still easier to mount things to the frame with only one external cable/line.

When I left Iraq, I hauled it to Manila as checked luggage (expensive!). It is in my apartment there. I took it to the Trek dealer and had them detail, repair, align, tune, etc. the bike. I'm in Afghanistan now and won't get to ride it again until February 2011.

If a bike can take 2+ years of dust storms, heat, and cold in Iraq, not to mention garbage areas to ride, it is pretty stout.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Taji, Iraq

Purchased At:   Bike Barn, Clear Lak

Similar Products Used:   2004 Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   factory standard

Submitted by Jorge a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    Extremly light, stiff, smooth and responsive. The bike fits like a glove. Im 6 feet tall and weigh 230lbs and the bike climbs like a goat. Any pressure on the pedals makes the bike take off. I will never by any other bike. I hope they keep making them.

Bottom Line:
I cant imagine any better bike for it's price unless its a $5K Cannondale Taurine, Specialized Stumpy SWorks HT or Trek 9.9 Elite.

Every time I ride it Im glad I bought it.

If you want an awesome bike worth thousands of dollars more then what it costs, get it.

Favorite Trail:   Palos Hills Bull Frog lake

Purchased At:   Bicyckes Etc..

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalance, GT Zaskar

Bike Setup:   Easton Carbon Monkey-Lite Riser Bar, Easton MG60 Stem, Sella Italia Pro Link Gel Saddle, Hutchinson Python Tires, Mavic 717 Rims with XT Hubs, XT Dual Control Shifters, Avid Disc Brks

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Nevada City, CA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, Beautiful, Unique.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm...

Bottom Line:
First of all, this is a '98 Attitude Race with an '04 SID Race fork. I bought it a few years ago to replace my first Klein which was stolen. I love it. There are other bikes out there that are similar in price and set-up, but the Klein seems to handle just right for me. A slightly shorter wheelbase, coupled with the responsive aluminum means it's the quickest handling and climbing bike I've ever ridden. The updated fork is nice too. Nothing else out there is nearly as pretty as Klein's welds or their embossed letters. The internal cables make for a very clean looking bike.

While I'm sure I could be happy with many similar bikes, the addition of a lighter frame, internal cables, and work-of-art welds and paint made the decision to stay with Klein an easy one. I'm custom building a Palomino now. I hope it lives up to the Klein reputation.

I can't recommend this frame highly enough for someone who wants a highly responsive hard tail.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Purchased At:   MTBR classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Klein Fervor (Stolen), Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Other various bikes.

Bike Setup:   SID Race, XT rapid fire drivetrain, Thomson Post, Aheadset, Bontrager Crowbar. ~24 lbs. Nothing spectacular, but nice (older) setup.

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Nevada City, CA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, Beautiful, Unique.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm...

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Purchased At:   MTBR classifieds

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Strengths:    beautful paint job, light, reliable components

Weaknesses:    paint (can't do touchups when scratched)

Bottom Line:
This bike is so light that it pushes you to ride faster. Climbs like a mountain goat on speed. Decending is a bit scary sometimes on steep terrain as the head tube angle is quite steep. Overall though it's the best bike that I have ridden and suggest it to everybody that wants an XC bike that is worth riding.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Norco Nitro, Cannondale Jekyl, Team Norco, ect.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2005

Submitted by Gi Blundred a Cross Country Rider from Stoke-on-Trent

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent frame that is responsive, climbs up hills really well, descends almost as good as it climbs.

Weaknesses:    Dear compared to the competition

Bottom Line:
A really impressive bike that climbs and descends like a beast. Even on wet sketchy surfaces (muddy roots) the bike is always asking you to go faster, if you flip the stem the steering is razor sharp. Monsterously fast bike, however it is a little dear compared to the competition and the bontrager race wheels seem to become noisey pretty quick.

Favorite Trail:   Cannock chase

Purchased At:   Swinnerton cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC composite, Giant anthem 2, Trek 8500

Bike Setup:   2004 attitude with xtr rear mech, bontrager x-lite wheels, pace rc39 fork

Submitted by jeremy a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2006

Strengths:    Your power goes directly to the rear wheel, fox fork, about 5 pounds lighter than prevouis bike, tires are great for pack dirt and sick to corners

Weaknesses:    long rocky straight aways you can't sit down to often, tires are not good for rocky or rooted uphills, slip quite a bit

Bottom Line:
Sweat bike if you can get a good deal on it. Components are great, light weight, and fast. This bike has great control and cornering. Climbs hills like nothing, and actually I like the frame on the downs

Favorite Trail:   Cow Pies

Purchased At:   1700.00

Similar Products Used:   2003 Fisher Tassajara

Bike Setup:   stock 2005 attitude xv

Submitted by steve a Weekend Warrior from salt lake city, utah, USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Strengths:    nice component mix
awesome paint

Weaknesses:    awesome paint

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. The frame is so light and tight that it almost climbs for you. Good component mix this year...all XT...next year looks like Downgrade City...it's gonna break my heart to put a scratch on this thing, so I bought an extra frameset!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Guthries (2100 South)

Bike Setup:   Stock '05 "ferrous sunset"

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider from Rockford, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight, the fox f100 rlt is amazing, xt discs, carbon bars, awesome paint, handles incredibly, everythings full tubless compatible just have to put the valves and sealent in.

Weaknesses:    ive never used bontrager wheels and i dont know how well they will hold up. after a 3 hour ride no major hops in the wheel to speak of.

Bottom Line:
this is the best bike i ever ridden. just coming off an old stumpjumper with a judy xc bike it was a revolution over real tough rocky terrain and climbed like a billy goat. you get what you pay for with a klein, and you better get one now because the word around trek is that they are going to be phasing them out, there isnt a 2006 palomino!

Favorite Trail:   anything from kettle moraine south unit

Purchased At:   Rockford Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   1998 Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   full stock

Submitted by John from Easley,S.C.

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Strengths:    very strong and very responsive

Bottom Line:
I wish I made Klein my first and only choice in mountain bikes instead of the Giant Rainer that belongs in the garbage can. But before you run out and purchace any bike make sure the bike fits you. Even though you can't buy a better bike then a Klein.

Favorite Trail:   paris mountian

Purchased At:   Carolina Triathlon

Similar Products Used:   Gaint Rainer ; Scwinn Racer

Bike Setup:   stock except for shimano xtr wheel sets and klein deathgrip tires

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from NC USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2004

Strengths:    looks paint.

Weaknesses:    Bike is crap I cant say enough bad things about it from the internal cable routing to the ovalized headtube

Bottom Line:
I am not a big rider 145-150 lbs. My head-tube has ovalized I am not sure if they will warranty it, the warranty people said they have never had this happen to one of thier frames.... I hate the way the internal routing makes the brakes feel slow and not responsive. My other bike is an S-works it's a rockt ship so incrediblly fast. I heard so much good things about the KLein I regret it I should have gotten another s-works HT or maybe a yeti or something. I am dissapointed maybe this one will get warrantied and I can build another one up who know's I would advise someone who wanted to buy this bike to look at some other frames beforethe pumnge istaken

Favorite Trail:   Moses creek area

Similar Products Used:   nothing my other bikes worked,

Bike Setup:   XTR STI XT cranks Manitou fork Chris King headset flite-ti seat 517's etc. Cross country build

Submitted by Zhi Hao Poon a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth Shifting, Awesome Paintjob, Incredible Frame Detailing and Welds, Soaks up Vibration, Insanely Stiff

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This has to be the smoothest riding, quietest, lightest, stiffest, coolest hardtail I have ever had the chance of riding. I am actually in the market for a new bike that is reliable and good enough for the New England trails that I ride on the rest of the year back at school. So I went down to the shop to check out some bikes here in Singapore as I'm back home on summer break. Tested quite a few bikes. It then came down to the Klein Attitude XV or the Trek Fuel 95. It was a tough decision, but I think I've more or less decided on the Fuel 95. Both have Full 2004 XT Disc group, but the Fuel is about US$300 more. The deciding factor is that I think I need full suspension for the really rooty and rocky and technical terrain in the Northeast US.
Despite my decision, which I still don't know if it is the right one, KUDOS to Klein on the most amazing hardtail ever. I thought Klein was past it's heyday when Trek bought it up, but I'm glad to announce that I have been proven wrong with this bike. It combines everything you could want in a hardtail, together with the nicest paintjobs and frame build quality in the industry. Anyone in the market for a hardtail should NOT buy anything else before trying this bike out. It is one hell of a bike!

Favorite Trail:   Ft. Rock, Exeter NH

Purchased At:   Treknology 3

Similar Products Used:   2004 Klein Attitude V Disc, 2004 Trek 8500, 2004 Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX, 2004 Fuel 90, 2004 Fuel 95, 2004 Specialized Hardrock Pro(Mine), 1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS Comp(Mine), 1998 Klein Pulse Comp

Bike Setup:   Stock Standard.

Submitted by Robby Phelps a Cross Country Rider from Hillsboro, OR USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2004

Strengths:    Incredibly stiff climber. Handles like a european sports car. Frame construction and paint are flawless. I must agree with the other reviewers... a word of art.

Weaknesses:    Still getting used to shifting with the brake levers. (Shimano XT) Not sure if i like it yet.

Bottom Line:
Sweet bike. I have always dreamed of a Klein but when trek bought the company i thought the glory days of Klein were over. But I am glad to say i was wrong. Truly love the bike and would highly reccommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ebey