Kinley RX COMP XC Hardtail

Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR

Submitted by Roel Castano a Weekend Warrior from Monterrey, Mexico

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2006

Strengths:    Very strong bike. Have taken it on long and rocky rides and it does not complain at all. Shifting components are shimanos xt/xtr and the rest are also very good. Fork is great and seat very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Cant think of any.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with Kinley. It was a very nice experience from the start. Good service and easy assembly. Excellent bike.

Favorite Trail:   Chipinque

Purchased At:   kinleybikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh

Bike Setup:   Added a Cane Creek thudbuster, but the rest is stock. No need to change anything.

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, MN

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Strengths:    Well built, high quality bike that comes with good support from Kinley. It uses XT/XTR components and is nicely priced.

Weaknesses:    Rear dereilleur is not well protected from shipping damage. Make sure to request that the rear dereilleur hanger be disconnected for shipment.

The bike requires some assembly, and any buyer should know how to assemble and adjust a bike. It's not too hard, but the instructions are a bit lacking.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike via eBay on Sunday night and it was on my doorstep Friday morning. After unpacking the bike, I saw that the rear dereilleur was bent inward, toward the spokes. The dereilleur hanger got squashed enroute. I fired off a message to Kinley, and a new hanger arrived in a few days. The service was friendly and prompt.

Even with my shipping mishap, I'd still buy it again.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Several Schwinns, a Trek and a Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Stock, see the Kinley's web site (kinleybikes.com)

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2006

Strengths:    Overall this is a very solid bike. Comes with great XT/XTR components including Shimano's dual control shifters. The bike also comes with Ritchey bar/stem/post and a comfortable WTB seat. The frame has nice welds and good geometry. Also seems to have a good paint job (I've laid it down a few times and haven't noticed any chipping)

The bike weighs about 26 pounds on the trusty bathroom scale. I'm guessing I could drop maybe a pound by switching rims and tires (but could probably lose 5 by cutting out breakfast taco's).

What I have been most impressed with was the service. Kinley is a relatively new company, but you might think they have been in the business for years. I bought the bike on a Monday and rode it the next weekend, so shipping was super quick. It came professionally packaged and mostly assembled. The setup was ride-able out of the box, but I perfected it with some small adjustments on the derailleurs. (I am by no means a mechanic, but the Shimano web site has some pretty easy to follow pdf guides, and the bike comes with all instruction books)

In late December I took a spill and wiped out the derailleur hanger and the long cage on the XTR. Since the hanger is bike specific (most all are), I wrote to Kinley and requested another. Benno at Kinley sent two, just in case it happen again. (I'm still waiting on one of the two pieces that make up the long cage, which is on backorder with Shimano almost two months later.)

Weaknesses:    None so far. The fork has mixed reviews on this site, but I have been very happy with mine. Perhaps the Manitou worked out all the problems with prior year's models.

Bottom Line:
After buying a bike off the web, I may not purchase another from a bike shop. The deals are just too good. Similar setup at my LBS would have been 2x the price or more. My one concern was service, but Kinley has demonstrated that they are committed to taking care of me, so no worries about that any more. If you have about a grand to spend, and want the most bike for your money, this is a good way to go.

Favorite Trail:   Smithville, TX

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   This was my first venture into mountain biking. Road bike is a Cannondale.

Bike Setup:   Stock - See description on eBay or on the mfg's web site.

Epic Comp Trunk Rack rx please!!

Are there any trunk racks that are compatible with an Epic Comp?Read More »

Titus RX-1 or Specialized SJ FSR Comp

So I have narrowed down my new bike search to the following bikes: 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (The 5" trail bike) 2008 Titus RX-1 100MM front and rear Both bikes are going to cost right around $2K, I am just trying to get an opinion on the build of both quality of both of these bi ... Read More »

Kinley RX Disc vs. Motobecane Phantom Comp

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these bikes. [url]http://www.kinleybikes.com/kinelyrx06.asp[/url] [url]http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_comp05.htm[/url] I am looking to spend $600 on a bike and would be open to suggestions on others ... Read More »

Ibex Trophy Comp or Kinley RX Disc

I'm very close to buying now, I have looked at alot of bikes and it looks like online is going to be my best bet. None of the LBS's around here have anthing more then $500 for a MTB. So I would not be able to test ride one before I bought it anyway. I will also be getting the largest frame I can ... Read More »