KHS Alite 3000 XC Hardtail

• Grips: WTB WeirWolf, dual compound
  • Brake Levers: Hayes Stroker Ryde

Submitted by Billy Goat 2.0 a Weekend Warrior from North Bend

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Strengths:    Right out of the box this bike rocks.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
If you are trying to chose between bikes and this one is on your list buy it now. It climbs, it races down hill, corner like a race car and stops on a dime.

Favorite Trail:   Duthie Hill

Purchased At:   adrenalinebikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher suger 3 trek 830

Bike Setup:   Stock for the 2009.

Submitted by Russell Smiglewski a Weekend Warrior from Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to ride, reliable, strong. I am not a lite rider, weighing over 200lbs. This bike can take the jumps that I have done with ease. Corners nicely when I am on switch backs and climbs very well.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike and have used for commuiting to work and back and hitting the trails.

Favorite Trail:   The kettles, Heart lake

Purchased At:   Dean's Sport

Submitted by thomasjc97 a Cross Country Rider from College Station, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2009

Strengths:    light, great climbing geometry, unique brand, inexpensive, good power transfer (maybe not as good as a well made carbon frame)

Weaknesses:    paint chips easily, seatpost size is uncommon (26.8)

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 1997 KHS Alite 3000 frame with the Ducatti yellow and royal blue paint job. Yes it's an oldie, but goodie in my book.

This aluminum frame is definetly old and probably difficult if not improssible to find, but it has served me well during the past 12 years... everything from commuting to racing.

The frame is extremely light (I believe about 3 lbs) and has great geometry for climbing hills. This advantage in climbing (experienced during my last 75 km race) could also be attributed to the entire component upgrade that I did. The bike came equipped with Shimano LX/XT parts, which were okay but [in my opinion] not as superior as the SRAM XO/X9 and Truvativ Noir drivetrain that I put on it. Furthermore, I chopped down the weight even more by putting other high-end componentry on board... the bike weighs about 19-20 lbs total.

There are a few drawbacks. The paint has chipped fairly easy (nothing to significant and really not much of a concern for me) and the seatpost size was somewhat hard to match. Fortunately, Thomson still carried the 26.8 size and I'm a big fan of Thomson. I had a hard time finding other seatpost options. The power transfer is solid and lateral deformation is minimal, but perhaps just behind a few of the nice carbon fiber frames out there.

All in all, the Alite 3000 frame is a good one that is inexpensive. I plan to ride this frame until it falls apart... and then maybe I'll look to change over to carbon.

Favorite Trail:   Rio Pinto (La Cumbre, Argentina)

Similar Products Used:   GT, Trek

Bike Setup:   Aliet 3000, Noir 3.3 crank, SRAM XO/X9, Mavoc Crossmax ST, Easton EC70 bar, Thomson seatpost/X4 stem, CrankBros Eggbeater SL, Fox F-Series fork, Schwalbe Racing Ralph (offroad)/Conti Grand Prix (road)

Submitted by fattyclark a Racer from Rochester, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2008

Strengths:    The Frame is the best I have ever ridden on. When you rail corners you can feel it move right with you. The mix of the Carbon fiber and Alloy makes for a nice stiff frame but also a forgiving frame that doesn't feel has it you are getting you beating up on rougher trails. This is maybe the best fitting frame I have been on for me. The angles are spot on. It is a super tough frame I have taken 3 ft drop on this bike . Instead of decal they let the Carbon fiber show through the paint job. It is a really sharp looking bike.

Weaknesses:    The wheel set that comes on it is an All-MTN wheel set from WTB. They are pretty heavy and some un-needed weight to the bike.I have had some problems with the rear derailleur. but that is nothing against KHS it is a Shimano thing.

Bottom Line:
I would have gave this bike 5 chilis but the rear derailleur and the wheel choice is what is it holding back for me. If you are looking for your first race bike. This would be a good choice. I had to cut down the steer tube some more from the way it came. It comes in a more relax set up, but is a easy fix. The one upgrade I think you have to do to this is a new wheelset. But that is to cut on some weight, of you don't care about that tho you will have no problem with the bike. I am pretty sure I will be racing this frame for years to come, it fits me like a glove.

Favorite Trail:   Addison Oaks, Fort Custer, Pontaic Lake, Grubers Grinder