KHS Alite 150 XC Hardtail

• Shifters: Shimano ST-EF50
  • Crankset: Shimano FC-M191 48/38/28

Submitted by dah dah dah a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2013

Strengths:    Super tough, long life

Bottom Line:
I destroy cheap bikes, this one did not die.

After getting frustrated blowing spokes from pushing the bike too hard (I have really strong legs, and blow spokes out from pedal torque) I got this bike and rode it for 3 years without a problem. It lasted until I was done with it, and I gave it to a friend.

A bike this good at this price should be impossible. Nothing ever went wrong, despite massive riding, including from Canada to Socal, I was really impressed.

Duration Product Used:   3 years and probably 10,000 miles

Purchased At:   A bike shop in Vanco

Submitted by PETER

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    THIS BIKE FOR THE PRICE IS AWSOME, MY FRIENDS HAS 1,000++ BIKES AND THEIRS WEIGTH A LOT MORE. COMPONETES ARE GOOD FOR THE PRICE GREAT START UP BIKE...

Weaknesses:    WELL THE HANDLE BAR AND GRIPS SHOULD BE BETTER. BUT FOR THE PRICE THEY ARE BEST.

Bottom Line:
I BUY THE 2013 MODEL THAT HAD FRONT LOCK OUT, AND FRAME CHANGES NICE LOKING THAN 2012

Submitted by mon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2012

Strengths:    light, affordable frame

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
i bought this frame because of its size, the size 19 khs 2000 isn't available at the lbs. it looks classy (for me) the down tube is not over sized. good welding at the gusset in the head tube. looks slick but strong and promising. better stick with 100mm travel fork for better handling in corners and steep ascents.
i have yet to abuse it in trails and off-roads. but so far,its good,

Bike Setup:   alivio drive train, alex rims, maxxis crossmark 2.1

Submitted by tecatte zambo a Downhiller from phil

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    Good product, easy to handle on utmost terrain and city driving. My Mountain bike is still operating, I have used it for my physical exercise.

Weaknesses:    The handlebar and the stem are made of steel so they tend to corrode, I replaced an alloy of good quality material.

Bottom Line:
Good performance i recommend this product to my friend and it is worth to own.

Favorite Trail:   downhill and city

Similar Products Used:   Custom-made bike but made in china i prefer to used KHS brand.

Bike Setup:   Fork Suntour brand not quite of good quality.

Submitted by Little Bill a Cross Country Rider from Sanford, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2011

Strengths:    disc brakes, strong frame, very durable

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the price. Took it to my favorite mountain bike trails with are rated most extreme and the bike held up to any abuse I could give. I way 260 lbs and I am 6'2". I have a 21" frame that does not flex and the rims are tough.

Favorite Trail:   Pine Haven

Similar Products Used:   cannondale

Submitted by meteor a Weekend Warrior from West Yellowstone, MT

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2011

Strengths:    Good price. Good sized frame for over 6' tall folks. Good brakes for price. Good gearing for sandy hills.

Weaknesses:    None discovered so far.

Bottom Line:
I needed a bike to ride through the sagebrush, glacial moraine, rocks, cow pasture, creeks, horse trails and gravel roads around my summer house. I'm an experienced road racer, but know nothing about off-road. This bike was recommended by local dirt riders as being comfortable, rugged, capable, and surprisingly cheap for the capability. I've put about 80 miles on it in the last three cold and muddy weeks, and so far I agree.

Favorite Trail:   Fish Drop

Purchased At:   Yellowstone Bikes

Similar Products Used:   I'm a 100 mile per week road bike guy. This is my first trail bike.

Submitted by LightningSlow a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Huge (if needed). Super Quick in and out of corners, no flex from the all aluminum frame.

Weaknesses:    Deraileurs are average at best. Fork is acceptable. Only 21 spd from factory.

Bottom Line:
GREAT bike for the money. The ONLY reasonable 25" frame I could find. By the time I am done putting new parts on the bike, it will be in the $1500 performance range for only 1/3 the cost. Loves corners, straights, and everything in between. Ultra Quick. Ultra Cheap. Go get yourself one if you are 6'7" like me or taller. Then, proceed to order new parts.

Favorite Trail:   96thSt

Purchased At:   Carmel Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Borrowed Friends Bikes

Bike Setup:   Constantly Evolving. New Fork ordered, alivio deraileurs (awesome bang for the buck, super tough). My largeness atop the 25" mountain of a frame.

Submitted by shadowman1100 a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2009

Strengths:    Ease of use, ease of adjustments, mechanical disk brakes.

Weaknesses:    so far I've not found any.

Bottom Line:
This is my first "better than entry level" bike, so far i'm very happy with it, i'm able to keep up with my brother who has been riding 60 t0 100 miles per week for several years. I would recommend this bike to a friend.

Favorite Trail:   Springwater

Purchased At:   Clackamas Cycle Worl

Similar Products Used:   Huffy Mtn bike

Bike Setup:   The guys at C C W set it up for me and did an awesome job. took the time to get it set for my comfort and ease of riding.

Submitted by Stylishxone767 a Weekend Warrior from Northville Mi

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    Good Bike to buy at the entry level. Has a few features that other entry level bikes dont have. It comes with mechanical disc brakes, which stop a lot better than the old center pull brakes I was used to growing up.

Weaknesses:    After a couple months of heavy riding, the bike started making creaking noises in the front end I cant quite isolate.

Bottom Line:
Id would suggest it to any weekend warrior at the enty level. I have taken it onto paved roads to dirt roads to a few wicked mountain bike trails and it has taken the punishment without any major issues.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake

Purchased At:   Town & County Cycles

Bike Setup:   The bike is stock. I dont plan on putting anything into it, but what I have to at the entry level.

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from ma

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    this bike has had nothing but problems

Bottom Line:
i would neaver buy a khs bike agin the shop i bought it from didnt help me when the bike keep breaking

Favorite Trail:   faceing rock

Purchased At:   new horizens

2012 KHS Alite 150 vs 2006 Gary Fisher Wahoo

I relatively new to mountain biking. I currently have a 2006 GF Wahoo that I picked up about a year ago. I have been riding pretty consistently on single track trails. It is the version with V-brakes and I wanted to upgrade to disc brakes. I am not sure that it is worth putting money into at this p ... Read More »