K2 Zed Sport XC Hardtail

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by tag187 a Cross Country Rider from Spring, TX, U.S.

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    Strong frame, Good price for a starter bike.

Weaknesses:    Suntour forks, Handle bars, cheap crankset, everything but the frame for anything aside from mild use

Bottom Line:
I used this bike 4-5 times a week on the street, and what you would call level 1-2 singletrack and it did fine, after about a year as my skill level progressed and I became a better rider I began to break parts one after the other. I now do more cross country and freeride and while I have other bikes, I have upgraded this one to the point where I still find enjoyment out of it but all that has lasted is the frame. Good bike to start with but plan to upgrade as your skills increass, if you just want a all around light use bike this is a good deal too.

Purchased At:   REI North VA.

Bike Setup:   Bought stock/ Current only the frame remains all other parts upgraded, tora 318 forks, Truvativ Hussefelt 300mm rise bars, single speed conversion, the list goes on.

Submitted by Cam a Downhiller from Florida

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, durable frame. For the price, good components.
And nice looking as well

Weaknesses:    doesn't have the components of the higher end bikes, and not meant for serious downhilling

Bottom Line:
Overall I have no quams with the bike. I got the bike for a great price, and can't expect too much from a bike in the sub 500$

If your just getting into the sport, or need a backup xc bike, theres nothing wrong with the ZED. The bike looks great, is super light for comparable bikes, and the components will get the job done just fine!

Favorite Trail:   Cadillac

Purchased At:   Lou's bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Scwhinn rocket pro

Submitted by ryan bracey a Weekend Warrior from plattsburgh ny usa

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    frame durable

Weaknesses:    handlebars bent down fast, same with stem, shifters broke, chain comes off frequently.

Bottom Line:
don't get the bike, you'll brake all of the components.

Favorite Trail:   rollercoaster

Purchased At:   maui north

Similar Products Used:   trek 3700, jamis dakar sport

Bike Setup:   shamino shifters, titec hellbent riser bar, wtb raptor tires.

Submitted by Abel Lopez a Weekend Warrior from Fontana, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Cheap components

Bottom Line:
If you're going to be doing anything more than leasure riding, don't get this bike. The stock setup was super flakey. I broke the freewheel, the rear brake pad came loose (while coming down a mountain no less). Seriously, if you're considering this for any sort of XC riding, take your money elsewhere. If you need a bike for a dirt-path with the kids, then you're the target audience.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Abel Lopez a Weekend Warrior from Fontana, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    Light and sturdy. Good looks, good additional materials (manuals and warranty)

Weaknesses:    Twist shifters are strage for me. Brake lever feels like I could break it. Rear derailuer seems possessed, but it's probably me unexpectedly touching the shifter.

Bottom Line:
It's a good beginner bike. It's very light compared to my old Steel Trek. The entry-level components will probably break when I take it on an actual trail, but I'm expecting good things

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Stock

K2 Zed Sport

So as i mentioned in a previous post I recently purchased a K2 Zed sport. It is my first mountain bike and I have really no experiance. I will be riding trails and to be falt honest I will probably be to hard on this thing (come from an atv background). So my question is can i work with this bike. ... Read More »

Got a call today from Zed Sport...

and I am one of the lucky 70 on the waiting list that will be getting an On One Carbon Fork for my ss this Friday. I will post pictures when it arrives. I really appreciate Zed Sport's follow through with the waiting list and contacting me. :thumbsup:Read More »

k2 Zed Sport

Hi, I am interested in the k2 zed sport and would like some feedback from people who own this bike. Would you recommend it as an entry level bike. thax for your inputRead More »