K2 Zed 3.0 XC Hardtail

3.8/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by SageSlinger a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2011

Strengths:    I like the travel of the brake and shifter cables, frame is fairly light and a bit smaller than my previous bike. Like the oversized tubing

Weaknesses:    Made In China.... hated it when I found that out. But most things are these days. :( Should have done more research. Has USA stamped all over it... then a very little sticker that says "Made in China"...

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike about 5 years ago as an upgrade to my Raliegh. Liked the fact it came with all Shimano Deore componentry. Shocks are bit soft and springy. I like the fact the bike tucks up under the rider a bit better than others, better for control.

Favorite Trail:   Big South Fork Single Trail

Purchased At:   Interwheel Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Raliegh Heat - Gary Fisher Montero

Bike Setup:   Came with Rock Shox Jett, Shimano Deore Components, WTB Tires 2.1 front and 1.95 rear, Shimano thumb and finger speed shifters

Submitted by Arundul a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2011

Strengths:    Great price for what you get The frame is solid the shocks work great they are super smooth over rough stuff disk brakes work good to.

Weaknesses:    The seat that comes with it sucks big time and the pedals will have your feet sliding every where over rougher terrain

Bottom Line:
Alright trail bike once upgraded and stock set up is alright for cruising around town if you want a really good trail bike go to a real bike shop and spend the extra couple hundred

Favorite Trail:   WCC hydro cut

Purchased At:   Sportcheck

Similar Products Used:   Dunlop Matrix, Supercycle XTI 21

Bike Setup:   Stock except for KONA Wah Wah pedals and new seat

Submitted by rockymtnrider a Weekend Warrior from Utah

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight (I think so(.

Weaknesses:    The seat hurts my butt after about an hour or two. The pedals are garbage but usable. The fork adjustment screw gets harder to turn over time.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike. I bought it new in 08 but it's an 06ish model. I mostly ride it to school, about 5 miles on the road and it works great. The disc brakes work great. I went down a 2 mile, 7% grade without problems (I'm 250lbs). I am looking for new pedals and possibly grips. Would love to upgrade the forks to something with a lockout and higher quality but I probably won't see a difference and the money would be better spent on new full suspension bike. Fantastic bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Moab

Purchased At:   rscycle.com

Similar Products Used:   older GT's

Bike Setup:   All stock.

Submitted by bpfoley a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte,NC, US

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is strong and has a good center of gravity, decent stock tires and rims

Weaknesses:    a little heavy, some cheap components including front fork

Bottom Line:
I just got the bike from my dad for a gift and went biking with him on a pretty serious trail i go on often with my old too small hardrock pro. After about 25 minutes on the trail the bracket part of the frame that attaches to the rear derailler snapped off when it nicked a small rock. It broke as is it were plastic and it appearred to be made of cheap low grade alloy. I loved the feel of the bike for the 30 minutes I used it but some of the components need to be upgraded like trhe front fork. Luckily I have a dicks 2 year waranty.

Favorite Trail:   Carvins Cove VA

Purchased At:   Dick's

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock pro, trek 6500 disk

Bike Setup:   all stock

Submitted by atlteebird a Weekend Warrior from bethlehem,GA usa

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Strengths:    frame,tires,brakes,headset,rear derailer,cranks,rims,seat,

Weaknesses:    front shocks are very springy and the seals keep leaving black marks,front derailer not very got either,and stock peddles are plastic upgrade them

Bottom Line:
this bike is really nice good bang for your buck,just needs a few upgrades like the shocks,front derailer,peddles. for the money you cant beat it

Favorite Trail:   fort yargo

Purchased At:   dicks sporting goods

Bike Setup:   K2 zed 3.2 stock tektro disc brakes sram 3.0 rear derailer,kenda klaw tires,sram shifters,

Submitted by b3n-dov3r a Weekend Warrior from Mississauga, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    -Frame is awesomeness
-well thats about it

Weaknesses:    -Crap Promax brakes
-Forks
-Pedals
-Crank Un-Screws itself

Bottom Line:
For a bike that I knew that i was going to destroy, it's held up pretty well. I have changed the major components, such as forks and bars, and derailier has held up nicely. Has handled 10ft gaps fine and took 'em like a champ. After 1st month, fork seals blew and was too lazy to fix so I bought floats. Great begginer-intermediate XC/Jumper bike. (if your jumping, only buy the frame and build the bike from scratch)

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills

Purchased At:   Sportsmart

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Coil EX.
Specaialized Hardrock
Some old crap bikes

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed 3.3 (I think it's an 2008?)
Hayes Stroker Hydros
Fox Float Fork
Husselfelt Stem/Bars
Maxxis Minion DH Tires

Submitted by Jun Zuniga a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    Sturdy frame, stiff and responsive, solid Deore group sold on rig, WTB Mutano Raptor 26x2.1 tires, sexy Gunmetal blue paint job.

Weaknesses:    Heavy if you're a weight weenie and the brakes aren't the best.

Bottom Line:
This 2006 rig has been an enjoyable and responsive ride. I've taken her on technical singletrack and raced her. Good value for a solid product.

Favorite Trail:   Iron Grate Trail - Frick Part

Bike Setup:   Time ATAC Alium

Submitted by Dan Cappello a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    The components and frame have held up really well since I've bought it. Everything is still stock (other than pedals because I switched to clipless). The front fork handles the bumps and hills I ride on several days a week very well.

Weaknesses:    Its weight.

Bottom Line:
I would highly recommend this to a friend. This is my first MT bike and so far it has held up really well. I have been riding trails aggressivly with it for several months and the bike takes the beatings like a champ. Everything on it seems solid and I have no complaints at all. I think for a beginner looking to get into the sport, and knowing they're going to be hitting hard trails, this bike is a great choice. You'll get great quality parts and durabilty, which is important for new riders. Have fun riding!

Favorite Trail:   The Wissahickon Valley Park

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300 and Cannondale F5

Submitted by Chad a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Strengths:    frame, headset, maybe stem

Weaknesses:    everything else

Bottom Line:
The version I bought was labeled a 3.0, but really consisted of a 4.0 frame with lower level components. Within weeks I had bent, broken, or otherwise thrashed absolutely everything but the frame, headset, seatpost, seat clamp and derailleurs. The cranks bent, the bottom bracket bent, the brake pads melted on a long descent, the fork snapped at the arch (due to the lack of brakes), the bars bent downward, rear rim was destroyed, and all else.

The frame is still running strong, and with over $1000 in new components, this is my favorite all around bike, used for trials, commuting, dirt jumping, trails, and a little bit of XC.

Unless you will only use the bike for commuting and maybe very light XC, don't buy it. If you like the frame, buy the frame and piece the rest together yourself. For all the damage I did to these components, only the snapped fork was due to a crash, and the crash was due to the brake meltdown. I have not had this problem since I upgraded to disc.

2 flamin chilis are for the awesome frame which continues to serve me well. But if you want to ride XC, buy the Leader LD516-H (usually around $120), if you want to ride street or dirtjumps, buy the KHS DJ100 ($94 at jensonusa.com). For freeride or DH, nothing beats the Azonic Steelhead ($150-175 eveywhere for older model).

Bike Setup:   rigid singlespeed

Submitted by Bob Smith a Cross Country Rider from Heidelberg, Germany

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2006

Strengths:    The frame is fine for me. The brakes are good for fire road like riding but aern't suitable for long or steep downhills. The gears seem to work okay too, but that's about it. Good for my flat, 8 mile commute though.

Weaknesses:    The rear derailer broke after 3 months, 2 chains have broken on long rides (thankfully I was able to fix those) the crank had to be replaced this spring and the front derailer is about to be retired because it's junk. This was my first bike after having a very dependable GT through my college years. Should have spent a little more coin and gotten the Specialized StumpJumper. I don't consider myself a "hardcore" rider at all. Actually prefer to ride wider trails with lots of ups and downs, some roots and kickers, and when I need the bike to perform, it falls flat. I've thought replacing components would change this, nope. This bike has been a disappointment from the get go when the crank worked its way off on my 2nd ride.

Bottom Line:
I thought this would be a good first bike for me, but I've been let down multiple times. If you are an agressive rider, get something with better components because you'll just end up replacing them and cursing the bike when it doesn't ride the way you want it to.

Favorite Trail:   Konigstuhl, Far North Bicentenial

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   None, or an old GT Palomar.

Bike Setup:   Now has XT rear derailer and crank, factory front derailer, fork, brakes and gears.

Submitted by James Knight a Weekend Warrior from Fayetteville, NC

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2005

Strengths:    Gears shift smoothly. Nice Frame!

Weaknesses:    I haven't run into any.

Bottom Line:
I am a really big guy (started out 290 lbs) and this bike has been a true dream. The only thing I would change (and K2 has already done it for the 2005 model) is to add disc brakes. I am adding mine this month.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Crabtree

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   First bike I ever owned.

Bike Setup:   Stock; only change I made was adding a computer.

Submitted by anonymous reader a Weekend Warrior from anchorage, ak

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    Good price for novice-intermediate mtb/rb. Came with disk brakes. Components seem to be holding up so far after lots of singletrack and commutes to work.

Weaknesses:    Pedals seem to come from my 1978 bigwheel. Front shocks seem kind of soft.

Bottom Line:
This is a decent first bike, not great, but good. My bank account likes it as well. Has been used on many trails in the anchorage area (paved and singletrack) so far so good.

Favorite Trail:   out my front door

Similar Products Used:   trek

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from lakeville,mn

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2004

Strengths:    Good price for the value

Weaknesses:    * Sloppy fork
* Poor componentry selection
* Weak frame warranty

Bottom Line:
This was a good deal. I was looking at upgrading my old trek, so I got this at a good deal. I took it home and rode it, finding that it was a difficult ride. The fork was abnormally soft and sloppy, the pedals stink. I think that K2 needs to get with the program and deliver a better warranty on their products. I returned it & bought a better product.