K2 Zed 1.0 XC Hardtail

3.5/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by the flash a Downhiller from portsmouth, nh

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2009

Strengths:    frame, geometry, value

Weaknesses:    mediocre components (good for value, however)

Bottom Line:
got for free with REI dividends and has a great frame, great geometry, great value and solid bike for the price overall. all components can be easily upgraded

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   shimano front discs, v-brake rears, kenda nevegal 2.10" wheels, kenda rims, specialized seatpost, MTB dh seat, khs bar, power tools grips, khs stem, specialized handlebar extentions, 3x9 shimano , noleen 80mm fork, shimano deore xt derailleurs

Submitted by andes a Weekend Warrior from los angeles, ca. usa

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    Strong frame, good components, light and sturdy.

Weaknesses:    crappy seat, Shimano gear shifters are attached to the brake levers (both are one part).

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for a little over three years and used it purely for Mountain Biking. When I initially got the bike, I was just getting into the sport, now I'm pretty hardcore and have not had a need to change bikes.

I have had several major falls on this bike, one on which I broke my rib and punctured my left lung. However, my K2 survived without any major damage, just a couple of scratches. Finally, on my last fall, I came out unscathed, but after 3 years, my bike sustained some damage. I bent my front rim. I have replaced my front rim and upgraded to hydrolic disk brakes. The one sucky part was that on my K2, the shimano gear shifters are attached to my brake levers, so I had to change my front shifter as well. Besides this upgrade, and the necessary need to upgrade to a better seat, I love my bike and find no need to switch it out for anything else.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Submitted by Albino_Rhino a Weekend Warrior from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2009

Strengths:    Frame, geometry.

Weaknesses:    All components.

Bottom Line:
I had never mountain biked before and bought this bike to get to and from school. It looked pretty burly so I decided to try out my skill at mountain biking on some local trails. I'm 250 lbs and ride pretty hard, and that's where the problems started... first off I bent my wheels which were a pain to fix, then I shattered one of the pedals after going off a small drop. Shortly after that, I was riding a trail and the rear derailer got stuck in the spokes and ripped off. I was getting to know the guys at REI pretty well by this point and when I brought it in they laughed and noticed that I had also bent the handle bars down. Due to their sweet satisfaction policy I was able to return it and upgrade to a Novara Ponderosa which has great components for the money. I haven't had a problem with it yet. I will say I loved the feel of the K2, but I destroyed it after only a handful of rides.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatomi

Similar Products Used:   Upgraded to a '09 Novara Ponderosa

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Christopher Samuelian a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA United States

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap, Shimano Deore hardware

Weaknesses:    Poor assembly (and parts)

Bottom Line:
My fiancee was riding with her daughter in tow and her pedal fell off! I didn't believe it and when I got home I noticed that the pedal had been cross-threaded into the softer, tapped metal of the strut housing--thus the threads were flat halfway through the strut and useless. The pedal threads were unmarred. Luckily, she was not going fast when this happened. I am very disappointed in this product and we are going to attempt to avoid Chinese made products as they are consistently poor quality--almost, dare I say, to the point of malicious.

Favorite Trail:   Will Rogers State Park

Purchased At:   REI Santa Monica

Bike Setup:   K2 ZED with Shimano derailleur and disc brake in front--returned bike last night, cannot remember the other components...

Submitted by Mike Sullivan a Weekend Warrior from PSL Florida USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    Fairly light frame with great geometry, I feel perfectly balanced on this bike

Weaknesses:    Stock Shimano Acero components could use a little help

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for the Cash. I was looking to try out a bike for MTB and wasn't even sure that I would like the sport after doing BMX freestyle as a 20 something. I love the bike and have thrown it into some of the best Florida has to offer, from Fort Pierce Trail and Halpatiokee to Alafia and Santos. I have not been dissapointed. The Stock front DR was a little weak and kept slipping the chain while going uphil. swapped that out for an XT for $30 installed. I bent the rear DR in a fall, and blew $100 to replace that, Stock one was good, but hell if you're gonna buy a new one get a better one. Stock pedals were pretty lame but I guess that's expected. Botom line, I ride the hell out of this bike 2 to three times a week offroad only and If I had to buy another hardtail it would be another K2

Favorite Trail:   Alafia

Purchased At:   Sprockets

Similar Products Used:   Cannodale Jekyll, GT BMX

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR v brakes, Deore XT rear derailieur, Shimano XT Front DR, Crank Bro's Mallet C pedals Stock everywhere else

Submitted by Jamie Baker a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Frame is nice and light. Tires that come on mine are great too.

Weaknesses:    All parts are entry level. For a mild trail rider this bike would be gold. At this point I am pushin this thing to its limits riding some pretty tricky downhill and single track.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. If you plan on getting into the sport hardcore I would go with a stronger bike. If you are doing some weekend singletrack and light stump-jumping this setup could do the trick.

Favorite Trail:   Wakefield Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Fairfax

Similar Products Used:   1st MTB

Bike Setup:   Stock with Performace BOXER handle bar ends.

Submitted by Cyle coats a Downhiller from N idaho

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    every component but the frame

Bottom Line:
good for trail riding bad for off roading. cheap stuff might upgrade to 2.0 instead of this bike which i am doing.

Favorite Trail:   one in my backyard

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   wall mart bike (crap)

Bike Setup:   NOw has new seat and post ,front fork screwed up the first one in a year now it's a rox shock dart 2,needs new derailers.

Submitted by jon a Weekend Warrior from tacoma,wa

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    cheap, good frame

Weaknesses:    can't handle heavy riders

Bottom Line:
the bike is good for the price and probably pretty good for lighter riders, but like the other guy said, being 200+ and riding hard makes everything start going out of whack with this bike. i thought it may need a tune up, but REI just made the problems worse. i'm about to switch the rear cassette and i have only had the bike about 3 months. i have also bent the rear rim a few times. if i ever get this thing runing right, it will be awsome. it may be worth it to go with the 2.0 if you are 200+

Favorite Trail:   so far Capitol Forest

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   a bad ass verticle mtn. tamer (kidding about the bad ass part)

Bike Setup:   crank bros. mallet c pedals, the rest is stock (for a few more days)

Submitted by Brandon a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Strengths:    Solid frame and a decent front fork.

Weaknesses:    Poor shifting, misses gears and chain slips under load. Returned this bike 3 times under warranty for BB problems. Parts seem inadequately assembled (bolts loosened). Seat and seat post did not take much abuse before I replaced them. Also bent a rim.

Bottom Line:
OK bike for cruising. Dont take this bike off road. Good for pulling a trailer or a passive rider. I'm a 200 lb aggressive rider. Since owning this bike I've gone to a Rocky Mountain Slayer. No opinions on that one yet, but this K2 bike couldn't handle me.

Favorite Trail:   Hydro Cut

Purchased At:   Braun's

Bike Setup:   Stock, Suntour front fork, shimano derailers/brakes etc.

Submitted by Scott Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Fontana, CA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2005

Strengths:    Very lightweight. Great price for a great bike.

Bottom Line:
The last mountain bike I bought was 15 years ago when they used to use 10-speed frames and center-pull brakes. Wow! what a difference in today's bikes. Every part of this bike responds smoothly and effortlessly. The rear derailler moves so well I don't even feel it shift. I've ridden it on mountain trails, service roads, and surfaced bike trails. It performed flawlessly in all conditions. For my level of riding there was no reason for me to spend any more for a bike than the Zed 1.0. I highly recommend it!

Purchased At:   Edge Cycle

Submitted by Cyle Coats a Cross Country Rider from Hauser lake, Idaho

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Strengths:    Light frame for the buck, great components. Has many qaulity parts that cant be found on other bikes at this price.

Weaknesses:    *none*

Bottom Line:
Great for those who dont have a grand to spend but still want qaulity out of there bike. This bike can take a beating.

Purchased At:   R.E.I

Similar Products Used:   verticle mountain bike that i used for a month and bent front fork.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington, DE USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2005

Strengths:    Good bike for the price. Nice frame and build quality. Shifts and brakes well, even in sloppy conditions. Very durable despite low cost.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket needs adjustment from time to time. No big deal, but I might upgrade it if it gets to be a problem.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to use just for excerise when in town for business and had not expected it to handle technical trails as well as it does. My Stumpjumper FSR back home cost about 7 times as much, but this economy hardtail does not dissapoint. It has done well on tough trails that I was not sure about taking it on at first, and it still runs like new. For an inexpensive mountain bike, I could not find anything else in its price range that could touch it.

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Hookooekoo, Cannondale M400, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by cavscout a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2004

Strengths:    Fairly light (30 lbs.), Shifters. This bike allows me to do anything I want to do (I'd consider myself an intermediate rider). The frame is ready for disk brakes so you just need to change the wheels. As I improve I plan on upgrading components and passing it on to my son's.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Great bike to get into the sport. a few bucks here and thre and you can reduce the weight and improve performance as your skills improve. If I had known I'd love Mtn. Biking as much as I do I would have put more money into the zed 4.0 or the Attack 1.0, but as I improve I plan on upgrading components and passing it on to my son's. I'm very pleased with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Ag Center - RIP

Purchased At:   bikesmart

Similar Products Used:   this is my first quality bike.

Bike Setup:   K2 zed 1.0, added Ritchey clipless pedals and 2.1" tires.

Submitted by Michael Howland a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    light weight, the bike can do some steep climbs. Noleen ATS comp shocks are good shocks for people under 160 pounds.

Weaknesses:    The Y 2000 rims bend easy.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a good bike for people that want to get into the sport MTB just like myself. It can handle alot for what I paid for it.I take it on long trials that fourwheelers go on there are roots, mud,rocks and all that good stuff. I think its a good light weight sturdy bike that you can trust. Of course its not a bike to go pro on or take 10 foot jumps on, its somthing to really IMPROVE YOUR SKILLS ON ALOT!

Favorite Trail:   anything with mud rocks and sharp turns

Purchased At:   Joe Jones ski and bike