K2 Bike Zed 4.0 XC Hardtail

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by njcinak a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    The Mechanical Disk Brakes Rock
The rock shox dart fork is a huge upgrade from my old one. no troubles with them.
very light
hand grips
frame is beefy

Weaknesses:    shifters/derailuers
plastic pedals
crappy saddle

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for me so far. i have loved it. I got it about half off new and love the bike. Buy it for sure!

Favorite Trail:   Powerline Pass

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Bike Setup:   stock except redline metal platforms and inline saddle

Submitted by adam728 a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Overall components are pretty decent for a bike in this price range
Handles well on tight single track
Has proven tough so far
Brakes work very well for me once bedded in
Forks have worked very well for a low end model

Weaknesses:    Fit was a little strange for me, I'm 5'9" and needed to go much shorter on the stem.
Rear derailler seemed to require a lot of adjustments at first until everything settled in
Rear skewer was bent before ever riding!
I'm still not thrilled with the wheelset. They have held up, but the spokes always seem to make noise when riding rocks, no matter how I true/tension them.

Bottom Line:
Has been a great all around bike so far. I use it for everything from pedaling the rail trail with the old lady to riding very rocky single track and some occasional jumps & small drops. Has proven great so far.

I swapped stem, seat, pedals, grips, tires, and changed to a 1-9 drivetrain. All were just personal preference and fitment thing.

One thing I want to note is the brakes. I see a few complaints below. My bike is a 2008 and has Shimano hydo's. They work very well. A little noisey at first, but after a few 10-15 mile rides they were well bedded in. Modulation is great, they are powerful, yet not grabby. Much better than I expected from relatively cheap brake setup.

The wheels are questionable in my eyes. With 28 bladed spokes each they just don't seem like a mountain bike thing. They have stayed completely true, but the spokes make plenty of rubbing/creaking/popping sounds under heavy braking and in rocks. Makes me wonder how much things are flexing around down there. They've made it a few hundred miles of off road so far, I guess they they'll be alright.

No fault of the bike (I would guess it was the build), but I was in for a surprise when I got it home. I pretty much wheeled it through the door and pulled the wheels to slime the tires. The front skewer was almost completely loose, and the rear was badly bent. I had to use a hammer and punch to lightly drive it though the hub. Any more of a bend and it would have needed to be cut off to be removed.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my bike. It rides and handles well, and so far has done everything I've expected. Too bad it looks like it won't be available next year (sounds like K2 is going department store).

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4900
Have ridden many other bikes over the years, everything from rigids to 7" out of bounds bikes

Bike Setup:   2.35" Kenda Kinetics, Azonic magnesium pedals, WTB Speed V seat, Big Al stem, Lizard Skin lock-on grips, 1-9 setup w/ jumpstop and Nashbar bash guard

Submitted by bbjenn a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    Price vs. what you get. Not the flashiest or most popular on the trails but it will get the job done.

Weaknesses:    The brakes seem to be the week link for this bike. They are noisy shaky and just plain crap, but work none the less. Tires wore quickly but it's hard pack and rock where I ride.

Bottom Line:
I did A LOT of research before I bought and trust me on this one, your not going to find a better deal for the components that come w/ this bike. I ride VERY technical and fast trails at Palmer Park here in the Springs exclusively and I've had the Zed on the front wheel, back wheel, side ways, upside down and everything in-between and she's taken it all in stride. I am doing things on this bike that should not be done on a hardtail and everybody I talk to says I should be riding a freeride rig instead! If your looking for a great bike for the price then look no further, if your more concerned w/ impressing others then buy a Specialized.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park

Purchased At:   Randall Scott

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ WTB Velociraptor's front and rear. Took off the large chain ring and put on a Race Face bashring for more clearance.

Submitted by XCrider a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight for the price, nice fork, geometry, climbs nice.

Weaknesses:    Brakes. The Hayes Sole disc brakes are horrible! SRAM shifting can be better. After initial break in, the shifts are slower and sloppier.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price. This bike really reignited my passion for the trails. With that said, the Hayes Sole disc brakes are horrible! Horrible modulation, weak even after 100 miles of break in. (I'm only 150 lb. but not a weakling, I bench 225 lb. and 20 pull ups on a good day)

SRAM shifting can be better. After initial break in, the shifts are slower and sloppier. Sometimes skips gears when under a lot of torque.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   GT hardtails

Bike Setup:   See below post for setup

Submitted by E. A. a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    First off this review is for 2007 K2 ZED 4.O
K2 built an amazing hard trail bike. It really surprised me how well it handle everything that throw at it it... took it like a champ and then some.
Climbing up hill was and gears shifting was great the bike is very lite.

Weaknesses:    Two things I would change is handle grips and maybe later nicer fork Rock Shox Dart 3 is good but i wonder for how long.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this bike is AMAZING I WOULD recommended to
a friend. Great price for the bike that can compete with the big dogs.

Favorite Trail:   Forth Yargo

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane 700HT

Bike Setup:   * Light weight Zed Mountain, 6061 aluminum frame.
* ROCKSHOX DART 3 Suspension Fork, 100mm TRAVEL
* SRAM X.7/SX.5 Derailleurs & Shifters for smooth and precise shifting.
* Hayes Sole Hydraulic Disc Brakes
* Truvativ Truvativ 5D cranks
* WTB Mutano Raptor Tires

Submitted by Robyn a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Weaknesses:    plastic petals

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money. i've been on some really technical single track trails with it and it has served me well. nothing negative to say.

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Submitted by roger a Weekend Warrior from chesapeake

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2006

Strengths:    Decent components,offers a stiff nimble feel when riding tight single track.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of accept all the junk plastic I had to remove.

Bottom Line:
This was a great move when my Giant was stolen. For the money this bike has a lot to offer. I would consider myself an intermediate rider and this bike suits me well. Would definitely recommend this bike to other people. I ride three to five times a week and have had no real problems that I could not take care of myself.

Purchased At:   Bike Zone

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Sasha Slovtsov a Weekend Warrior from Moscow

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2005

Strengths:    It's very light, the acceleration is something very pleasant with it. Can be upgraded for disk brakes. The frame looks very hard and the same time it weights not much.

Weaknesses:    I lost the rear reflector after several days of riding, just check all the sсrews :) It's a little bit noisy on high speeds when riding in town because of tires and also something from the rear makes some strange noises, i don't know what it is yet because i don't mind about that :)

Bottom Line:
So it's a good bike for fast riding in country and town, you may wish to upgrade the front fork.

Favorite Trail:   country

Purchased At:   Bike-master.ru

buying K2 ZED 4.0 need help!!!

hey guys.. i'm looking to get into mountain biking this year.. decided to start looking around for a good deal on craigslist.. I want to find something that's cheap enough to where if I find out I don't stick with it im happy with still owning the bike for the amount I ride it. But good enough t ... Read More »

NEW GUY.. buying first bike k2 zed 4.0

What would you pay for a 2004 K2 ZED 4.0?

In great condition... Specs: Brakes: Tektro linear-pull brakes, Avid AD 3 levers Front Forks: Answer Manitou Axel Comp, 80mm travel Shift Levers: Shimano Deore RapidFire Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX Shimano PD-505 pedals Frame Size: 14" Thanks..Read More »

K2 ZED 4.0 vs GF Mako vs Trek 3900

Hey Guys, Which of the 3 would you consider the better overall bike and all 3 are in pretty great condition? Trek 3900 (2006) Gary Fisher Mako (2007) K2 ZED 4.0 (2004) Thank you!Read More »

Trek 3900 vs GF Mako vs K2 ZED 4.0