Jamis Durango Sport SX XC Hardtail

4.09/5 (23 Reviews)

Submitted by jamaicanarchie a Cross Country Rider from Logan, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2009

Strengths:    The frame has never given me a problem. Overall it has been a great entry level mountain bike. Highly recommend to anyone who is testing the waters of mountain biking.

Weaknesses:    Front fork broke after two years. This was probably because I've taken it down some pretty rough rides, I had the tension setting way too low and I weigh in at 195. I replaced it with a manitou Axel Elite (100mm). I think the original fork had only 80mm.

Bottom Line:
I recommend this bike to anyone wanting to test the waters of mountain biking. It is affordable and durable. If you don't like mountain biking (sad day) then you aren't out much money. However, if you do like it it will be a good bike to hold up while you get better at mountain biking. Once you are ready though, I would recommend saving up and purchasing a nice ($1000 or more) full suspension. Currently, I'm in the saving stage to replace this bike, but I ride it regularly on the local trails and in the winter time I switch out my tires and ride it on the road. It's been a great companion.

Favorite Trail:   Green Canyon

Purchased At:   Barries Ski and Spor

Bike Setup:   Everything is stock except for parts replaced. Parts replaced: front fork (more travel is recommended), pedals (changed plastic pedals with cheap and free Wellgo clipless pedals), front derailleur (just got old after 4 years) and crankset (also got old after 4 years).

Submitted by Mr.Ice a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster, PA. USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    Strong Frame

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
This was my first "REAL" mountain bike. I loved this bike. For the most part it was trouble free during the time I rode it. I even raced it in a few adventure races and duathlons. The frame was too short for me. I sold it to my best friend after i received a new bike for Christmas. It fit him like a glove. He still rides it to this day. If you can pick one up cheap, do it. You won't regret it.

Purchased At:   Spinner's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, GT, Jamis

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by joshua libby a Weekend Warrior from portsmouth n.h.

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Strengths:    strong frame,decent components,easy maintnence

Weaknesses:    had problems with front derailer,forks like to bottom out,front brakes liked to rub at first,cheap hubs

Bottom Line:
best bang for the buck,great for street bashing bike can take a beating fairly comfortable on long hauls,fairly nimble,decent off road capabilities,and quick off the line.I've been riding this bike for several years and haven't thought about anything new to by love the ball burnished frame no paint helps keep up the great appearance always recommend jamis's to everyone since the first one I got in the early 90's.

Favorite Trail:   sabbaday falls (illeagal)

Purchased At:   bicycle bob's

Similar Products Used:   specialized stump jumper fx,multiple gary fisher's,several old jamis's

Bike Setup:   stock,hyperlight bars,uni bar ends

Submitted by Lowell Walker a Cross Country Rider from Brunswick, ME

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely tough, well built frame. Solid components for the price.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, and manitou 6 is quite tempermental. Depending on the weather it can be smooth and soft, or very hard and sticky....weird.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for my girlfriend's bike, but I've been riding it a lot lately with my bike being in the shop for a broken chainstay (FS will never be as reliable as a hardtail). The durango is a great bike though. Now that the disc brakes are broken in the work well and the shifting is great for an inexpensive bike. Deore derrailleur on a $300 bike is pretty sweet. Climbs and handles very well, easy to turn aggressively and very tough. A little heavy, but again, for the price, it's really not. The fork is problematic, but may just be a lemon. Not quite sure if it's worth sending in for warrantee repair. I may just put my old manitou sx r on the bike instead (a fantastic XC race fork from 10 years ago). Bottom line: excellent dependable, tough, well built bike for a new mountain biker.

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury Mountain State Park: Regan

Purchased At:   Mendon Cycle Smith (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   14 year old Specialized Rockhopper frankenbike for 12 years, now a 1997 Jamis Dakar Sport. Also rod my brother's GT LTS, a friend's Trek Liquid, and an assortment of other hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new crankset and clipless pedals.

Submitted by Dennis from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Extreamly durable frame, killer price, very comfortable, plus the sexiest bike i know of. Prety light for price.

Weaknesses:    components. Broke junk plastic petals on first day. stripped crank arm (have to carry a allen wrench always). Hubs always work loose. Hasn't shifted smooth in 2 years. fork is to squishy.

Bottom Line:
Im 6,2" and 180lbs have spent the last 3 1/2 years beating the crap out of this bike. This bike has been in numerous wrecks but always comes out the same. The frame, while extreamly scratched and dinged has held up supurb. rims are strait as a muddy arrow and the brakes still stop on a dime. Alas the time has come to move up to a fs bike but i would recomend this bike to any one on a budget.

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Woods

Purchased At:   Scottees Westport Bike

Bike Setup:   stock, to broke to replace anything except the petals (platform) and tires.

Submitted by Tackhammer a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, good components ro the price, looks, climbing.

Weaknesses:    Tires, rough ride but what do you expect.

Bottom Line:
I am reviewing this bike after a year and a couple of months. I just turned 700 miles last night on the group ride. The bike has been good to me. I havent replaced a single thing yet except the tires and pedals. I do need a new chain and cassette, but that is partially due to me never cleaning the chain. All I usually do is squirt wax lube on it and go. My riding has improved alot since I first got this bike, I will say this - it climbs really well. I will be moving up soon to a full suspension, and will quite possibly be a Jamis. They seem to be great bikes!!! I would recommend this bike to anyone who is starting out.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Lake Shore Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock sport

Bike Setup:   2.1 Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Egg Beaters (Love them) Everything else is stock

Submitted by Helvutlen Rigistundi a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    Great frame for the price. Will last a long time.
Love the look of the bike, nice colours and lines.
Very responsive, great for climbing. You can really feel how well the power transfers to the wheels.
Having the disc brakes is awesome, even if they are only cable-actuated. They look flashy, and stop effectively

Weaknesses:    Manitou shock is a bit too soft, could use more rigidity. I'm a big rider (over 250) and I find it bottoms out a lot, and is soft when going up curbs in the city. Had a bad spill because of the whell skipping out from under me. But Fork can be replaced with a better one.
Brake and derailleur cables prone to slipping and getting soft. Needs to be maintained well. Again, can be replaced

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with this bike the first time I rode it. The way JF at Gord's put it was, "This bike is like a bare-bones Mercedes. Components aren't great, but the frame will last a lifetime." Fits me really well, and I love the responsiveness in terms of power and handling.
I bought it because I was riding an ancient Raleigh (from back when they were good) and the time had come to replace it. That one lasted 10+ years, and I'd be surprised if the Jamis didn't last a similar length of time.
The Jamis is a beautiful bike, I've had lots of great comments about it.
I'd recommend this bike to anyone. It's probably best for newer riders, not too expensive, upgradeable, and a heck of a lot of fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Spruce Woods

Purchased At:   Gord's Cycle and Ski

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Deore (no suspension)

Bike Setup:   stock + bar-ends, replaced pedals with spd-compatible steel offroad pedals.

Submitted by Matiss V from Thunder Bay

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    Tough Bike - crashed off a three foot drop straight onto front tire, fork not phased. Fork soaks up bumps and is as good as any entry level fork out there. Wicked components for the price - if set up corectly will be all u ever need. Light too.

Weaknesses:    Fork (Manitou 6) not nearly stiff enough, bottoms out a lot - I only weigh 160', can't imagine ppl heavier than me using one. Could also use more travel. Disk brakes rub - doesn't slow me down, but doesn't feel or sound good tho. Disks bend easily - but also easy to bend back! Will upgrade to Avid BBs eventually.

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet, recomend it to anyone. I got last years model at a $150 discount. Frame is sweet, great to upgrade on. Frame looks like it's very strongly made. Great weekend warrior bike - or everything bike that wont break your bank (that's why i got it).

Favorite Trail:   all the trails are still covered in snow - in April!

Purchased At:   Rollin' Thunder

Similar Products Used:   Frankenbike - Old mongoose frame cobled together with random mountain bike parts years ago and rode it like hell. Sold it to a friend as a downpayment on my new bike. I needed the new bike for how I ride.

Bike Setup:   Swapped plastic pedals for metal platforms ($10 more), got a riser stem and put spacers on it to make a more upright feel for more a jumper setup (shop swaped stems for free). Tires are a bit skinny - good for XC tho. Stock set up very XC.

Submitted by Casey Smart a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction, CO USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2006

Strengths:    Value. Decent components, tough as hell, very quick handling

Weaknesses:    Almost too quick of handling in stock configuration. Heavy. Jamis saved money where all bike companies do and you end up paying for it later.

Bottom Line:
I ride this bike 26 miles a day minimum and I have to admit, for a 5'8" long bodied guy, the 17" is too short. Jamis has a tendency to size their bikes a little small. However, what makes it uncomfortable on the paved trails makes it great in the Fruita area single track. This thing climbs like a goat and has turn on a dime handling. The Manitou sucks a little, but I have abused it so thouroughly that I don't know what could have been better for my riding. Do yourself a favor before hitting the slickrock and get rid of the crappy stock tires and get something wider. The frame does rattle your bones a little like most Aluminium hardtails are known to do. All in all, awesome deal.

Favorite Trail:   Lunch Loop

Purchased At:   performance bike, Fresno CA

Similar Products Used:   GT Timberline, Haro V4

Bike Setup:   Race Face Evolve XC crank and BB, XT rear derailleur, Kenda Scorpion 2.1's. Sram X-9 cassete.

Submitted by Theo Biker Person Dude a Downhiller from Colorado,CO,USA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2005

Strengths:    This is a sweet bike, but I got a Sun Tour fork which is so much better than the Manatou, i have about 4 1/2 inches of travel. The disc brakes work sweetly. The seat is very comfy.The tires are a bit wider than the 2005 version (I have a 2006.)This is a sweet bike!

Weaknesses:    none really, I told you you it was sweet.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a hardtail you should definaly get a Jamis Durango Sport SX 2006 or 2005. I love this bike so much. YAY

Purchased At:   Singletrack Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Jamis 2005 model

Submitted by D T a Weekend Warrior from Northern NJ

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth throughout, tough bike, good fit-n-finish. I love the disc brakes, and general feel of the bike.

Weaknesses:    Wish the fork had some more travel.

Bottom Line:
Buy it. Only had this baby a few months, but it's been nothing but great to me. I am a true weekend warrior who hits some good tough trails 2-3 times a week. Also try to enjoy some road riding with the wife during the week (for endurance training, you know). I remember testing a large number of bikes out: Giant, Cannondale, Trek... but when I took a loop around the parking lot in the Jamis...
I don't know, the bike just felt Smoother and more solid than any other bike. Love at first ride.
And to think... I can still Upgrade and make my baby 1000 times better! Sweet!

Favorite Trail:   Over by William Paterson

Purchased At:   Ridgewood Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn POS, Giant Rainier

Submitted by David from Germantown

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    A great frame to build on. While there is little left, the stock componentry is great to learn how to ride again. Can take a beating and keep on going.

Weaknesses:    I shattered the rear wheel after i got a 2 inch branch caught in the spokes and slammed against the seat-stay. Clink clink clink. Ain't the bikes fault though.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike to learn how to ride on. The componetry will grow with you and the price isn't that bad. If your looking for a lighter purpose try a Giant Rainier. I love this bike and can promise every customer that buys it that they'll have a blast with it. Low Key regular maintenance for everything up to All Mountain to XC to Commute (if you did ?) Take anywhere, Go anywhere bike.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farms

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   XT Shift pods, Avid FR-7 Speed Dial Levers, Performance CTR Handle Bar, Easton EA-50 seat Post, WTB Laser Saddle, Panaracer Fire XC Tires, Manitou Minute 1:00 Fork, XT Rear Derailleur, Lizardskin Grips, Thompson 100mm Stem, Avid BB7 Disc, Performance Loco Rear Wheel (Work @ Performance, Uber Discounts :-D)

Submitted by Big Head Tracy a Weekend Warrior from San Fran

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Strengths:    Brakes are alright might need some adjustments, Good frame

Weaknesses:    Heavy handle bars (must go), Heavy stem, seat post, They make the bike weight a ton and some.

Bottom Line:
This bike is alright for the price, A little heavy for the mean streets of San Francisco. I ride this bike through the ghettos and back so the strong bike is great to take bullets, I replaced the handle bar and the seat post w/carbon and it made the bike a little lighter to run away from the cops. After the replacing the components it made ride by aliitle easier. Overall the bike is not bad, I might want to upgrade to XT components because shifting is little harsh when I try to get away from bank security guards. I recommend this bike for any gangsters out there with a tight budget, witha few adjustments this will turn into a good bike for the money. PEACE OUT DAWGS!!

Favorite Trail:   The mean streets of SF