Jamis Durango 2.0 XC Hardtail

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 30.75 lbs MSRP : $579.99

The Durango sharesThe geometry of Jamis' legendary hardtail Dragon, "the yardstick for hardtail performance." Its aluminum chassis is responsive andThe componentry is choice.The Durango features a radiused/slopingTopTube and box-sectioned/S-bend downTubeThatTiesThe headTube and bottom bracket into a rigid structure for precise cornering and stand-on-the-pedals response, with a rear endThat putsThat power down with snappy acceleration and cornering control. In other words,The Durango is meantTo b

Submitted by me a Weekend Warrior from Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent bike for the money. Brakes are great though noisy.

Weaknesses:    Pedals. Front fork could be more robust

Bottom Line:
I'm learning the sport and I crash alot. My Jamis Durango has stayed with me through every crash without needing repair. Great bike for the money. The thing is a tank though it is not heavy and it is very quick! I am very pleased with the quality, durability, and comfort of this bike. This bike is great for mountain trails, great climber and aggressive descender. Easy to learn to control. Now if only I could learn to stay on the thing....

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Outspoken bikes

Submitted by Rocky2474 a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdy, forks have rebound, damping, and a lock mode, the handle bar grips are nice,hydraulic disc brakes, and it's a trail bike so you can do pretty much anything with it.

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals.

Bottom Line:
this is a good bike. if you are into dirt jumping, cross country, road, and downhill , this is the bike for you. Its a trail bike, so you can do anything with it (I have my set up for downhill)

Favorite Trail:   Hillbilly

Purchased At:   Barking Spider

Bike Setup:   FSA bashring, Juicy 3.5 front brakes, Evo pedals.

Submitted by Pmig a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2010

Strengths:    value for money, strength of frame and componants

Weaknesses:    maybe forks & brakes

Bottom Line:
Many many crashes and this bike takes it time and time again - thought about upgrading due to my skill level improving but cannot justify getting rid of this Jamis
Perfect for beginner - forks may not be the best quality but have had no issues - think retail for around $1200 AU$

Favorite Trail:   Eagle Pk, Lyntonn

Purchased At:   Anaconda

Similar Products Used:   Shogun TB3

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock - shimano clipless pedals and Maxxis TT tyres

Submitted by wdgators a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2009

Strengths:    Very sturdy bike

Weaknesses:    Pedals
Heavy weight

Bottom Line:
Very sturdy bike on the trails. I've had some pretty good crashes and the bike has held up well (trees, asphalt, roots, into a ditch, sand, gravel - you name it, I've crashed on it or into it (I should probably give up MTB and stick with road bikes)). It has very few scratches, no dents and no cracks. The stock pedals are no good. I crushed them on my second or third ride. Be brave and go clipless.

It rides heavy on the road, but is quick and easy to maneuver on the trails. The brakes need constant maintenance, and I noticed today they were a little slow to grab on a slight downhill trail with lots of roots. The suspension is great - even over the roots (8 miles of it this morning). Shifting the front chainwheel is my biggest complaint. I usually have to hit the left shifter a couple of times before the chain gets in place. It's near impossible on the trail to move the chain on the front chainwheel. I haven't upgraded the derailers - that may help. The seat is comfortable, and the tires are sturdy. I pulled a 1/2-inch piece of metal out of the front tire last month, but it didn't affect the integrity of the tire (had to replace a few tubes before I found the metal, but the tire is still running fine).

Overall, for a newbie mountain-biker like me (2 years, 1-2 times a week on easy singletrack), I think this is a great bike. It's stood up to a ton of abuse and is great fun on the trails. And the price can't be beat.

Favorite Trail:   Double Lake

Purchased At:   Cyclone Cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Leon Walker a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Strengths:    Great all round bike, have used it on all sorts of tracks and gets the job done.

Weaknesses:    Possibly slightly heavier than similar size bikes I've tried out, although not noticably. Wouldnt affect the performance for what I do

Bottom Line:
I've had for ~1year now and has proven to be a great, no hassles bike. Ive done a bit of various MTBing, cross country and also use it as my daily commuter by chucking some road tyres on it. Sweet as

Favorite Trail:   Redwoods, Rotorua

Purchased At:   R&R Sport

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by arekieh a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    Theres not one part that is cheap, all entry level decently high end parts,

Weaknesses:    Cant really think of any except that the break rotors feel cheap and i plan on replacing them, also that the breaks are really annoying to adjust till u get the hang of it

Bottom Line:
great entry level bike, i love it, and its amazing for the price

Favorite Trail:   River Valley

Purchased At:   Reids Cycle and Spor

Similar Products Used:   Norco Charger, Norco Rival, Jamis Dakar XC,
^^^all 3 of these felt really cheap like they were gonna fall apart

Bike Setup:   completely stock, plan on changing the seat, and rotors,
and maybe in the future changing the breaks and deraillures and fork

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2007

Strengths:    Great 1st MTB, value for money, solid component choice

Weaknesses:    front derailer, fork, brakes

Bottom Line:
Have had a great time on this bike and done plenty of kms on it. the front fork can at times not have great feel too it and the brakes start to fade out on more challenging DH sections. The Spec though for the price is great and a top choice as a first bike. THe frame and handling is great and have not had to spend much on this bike at all. Buy it if you want something to get into MTB and it will show you a good time..

Favorite Trail:   Blue Lake, Forrest

Purchased At:   Anaconda Australia

Bike Setup:   added CB candy pedals, LX front derailer and a new seat

Submitted by Gabirel Casas a Cross Country Rider from Cd. Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    Robust frame, excelent overall components for a new rider.

Weaknesses:    Brake line for the front arrived brocken.

Bottom Line:
I raced the Chupacabras 100km with only adding liners and slime to my tires.

The bike performed well and took a lot of abuse.

Only took it for a tuneup after the rase and needed to adjust the Shifters and Brakes.

THIS IS ONE NICE RIDE FOR A RELATIVE SHEAP PRICE.

Favorite Trail:   Chupacabras 100 km

Purchased At:   Local Store

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Armando Toledo a Cross Country Rider from Miami Lakes, FL

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2007

Strengths:    Great starter bike! Very tough. Takes a beating. I am 295 and it takes me and much more. Shifters are different but nice. It kicks the stumpjumpers a** in speed.

Weaknesses:    Front fork could be a little stronger.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price. Great climber, nice brakes, comfortable ride. Definately a great choice for the starter.

Purchased At:   Active Cycles